PDA

View Full Version : Why Do Cat Meow?

emc
06-26-2007, 09:06 AM
Maybe this is a silly question but why do cats meow?

Digital Paint Pet Portraits
http://dogshop.50webs.com

catmandu
06-26-2007, 09:39 AM
Thats Not A Silly Question At All. Actually Cats Very Seldom Meow To The Other Cats , It Seems To Be Strictly A Way Of Communicating With We Who Are Thier Guardians.
The Only Time I Have Seen A Found Cats Meeeeow At One Of His Mates Is As A Threat To Let That Cat Know That They Are Ready To Rumble. As Michael Buffer Would Say.

Catty1
06-26-2007, 10:19 AM
I couldn't resist any longer: "Because they don't know the words." :rolleyes:

I have heard one of my cats call for the other, with a meow - more often with the chrrrrp noise they make. :)

lvpets2002
06-26-2007, 10:20 AM
Why Do Cat Meow? Well they meow for all kinds of diff. reasons.. Hey do you do those portraits of the web site you have listed??

emc
06-26-2007, 02:11 PM
I couldn't resist any longer: "Because they don't know the words."

Ha ha, I like that, that's funny. The question crossed my mind when I was sitting on the porch the other day and I heard one cat meowing quite loudly as if he wanted something. That kind of got me wondering, why do cats meow.

Yes I make those portraits. I also do watercolor pet portraits and portraits in pen and ink, my art site - http://waterart.50webs.com

Digital Paint Pet Portraits
http://dogshop.50webs.com

cassiesmom
06-26-2007, 02:58 PM
Some of Cassie's meow meanings:

Hi, I'm glad you're home. It's about time you showed up, what took you so long?
Human, where are you?
Put me down NOW or I will be forced to dig in with my claws.
Wake up!
Feed me!
I am in the spot where I go to receive a treat and you didn't give me one -- what's up with that?

She also has a little sound kind of like "muurrrp" that she makes when she is content. Sometimes she will go like "mmrrRRRrr" when she is looking out the window at birds or bugs.

And one - meEEEOOOOW! that usually means I've stepped on her tail. She has this funny way of placing herself between my feet, without making a sound, when I'm standing at the bathroom sink or the kitchen counter. Over the years I have learned to look down before I move!

columbine
06-26-2007, 09:58 PM
Smudge meows to say:

"Don't you want to brush me?"
"Where have you been all day? I missed you!"
"I have just used my litterbox" (this usually sounds like Maow? Maow? Maow?)
"Shall we play?"

His "meow" is usually more like an "ek" or an "ang," but he'll occasionally say Squeeka or Ikka-brr or Angawrrrrang.

Love, Columbine

caffeitina
06-26-2007, 10:16 PM
Howard only meows when he wants attention....or when his food dish isn't as full as he wants it to be. He's got a quiet little patient "meow". As if to say "I'm waiting...." or "Attention, please." Mostly, though, Howard relies more on the classic Head Butt when he wants to make a point. Like I said, very polite. Quite the little gentleman, Howard is.

Luna, on the other hand.... true to her Siamese ancestors, Luna has a very loud and demanding meow. And she likes to talk. ALOT. To everyone. She talks to me, to Howard, to the birds and squirrels outside the window, to the (closed) closet door, to the kitchen sink, to her toys.... you get the idea. Of course there's her typical whine meow, but she also announces her presence with a meow that sounds like she's saying "Hello". She's got one that sounds like "Help"....one that sounds like "wow"....even one that sounds like "woof"!!! :eek: She even squeeks when she yawns and coos when she purrs.