PDA

View Full Version : Bug bite- what would you do??

Sirrahsim
06-25-2007, 07:17 PM
Last Thursday I went to the zoo and got bitten by some sort of insect. Within a few minutes my forearm swelled up a couple of inches on either side of the bite. Aside from the slight swelling of my forearm and fingers and a hoarse voice it didn't get any worse so I didn't think much of it. As of today the swelling has gone down for the most part but the redness is spreading up my arm a bit. It is mildly itchy but nothing unbearable...
Do I need to call my doctor because the redness is moving up my arm?? I have no idea what bit me so I have no clue what a doctor could do for me but I'm just not sure.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v143/sirrahsim/DSC06750.jpg
The majority of the swelling was between the dotted lines and the bite was right about in the middle of that area. The funny blob that I outlined is where the redness is now.

What would you do??

Craftlady
06-25-2007, 09:02 PM
I'd go to the doctor and explain you got bit by an unknown insect at the zoo.
Your reaction is not a typical "bite" and needs medical attention such as antibotic, I would guess.

catnapper
06-25-2007, 09:41 PM
Definately go to the doctor. Better safe than sorry!

Laura's Babies
06-25-2007, 09:42 PM
I agree, especially if the redness is moving. If it were my arm, I would go have it checked.

crow_noir
06-26-2007, 12:55 AM
Yeah, I'd see a doctor about it if i were you.

They may even want to give you a tetanus shot if you haven't had one in the past 10 years.

buckner
06-26-2007, 01:43 AM
If it's a constant and pestering itching, the doctor might want to give you a shot of cortizone. If that's the case, you won't be itching for long. ;)

Definitely go to the doctor before it gets worse. I've made that mistake WAY too many times.

wombat2u2004
06-26-2007, 01:47 AM
Looks to me like the reaction my ex used to get every time she was bitten by a mosquito.
Wom

sirrahbed
06-26-2007, 11:12 AM
what would *I* do? I would fret about it and avoid the doctor :p When I had my spider bite, it felt so good to put cold compresses on it and I also took Benedryl. I am thinking you can't take the antihistimine but maybe the cold would feel good? It is also a great idea to outline the swelling with a marker pen like you did so you can see if it gets worse. Fire ant bites cause lots of redness and swelling like that, too. Hope it is not keeping you awake Missy.