PDA

View Full Version : Roundup - poisonous for pets?

kuhio98
06-25-2007, 11:30 AM
I've checked a couple of websites and haven't found a definitive answer. Does anyone have experience using Roundup (dandelion weed killer)? Is it poisonous for pets?

We have made an offer on a new house. The back yard is absolutely covered in dandelions. We need to do something drastic (yet not harmful) to get rid of them and start the lawn all over.

Our kitties are allowed outside under our supervision and Bobcat plans to build them an enclosure so they have a part of the yard all to themselves. But, before we do anything, we need to make sure whatever we put on the lawn doesn't harm cats or dogs.

Thanks.

Kfamr
06-25-2007, 11:36 AM
I would imagine if they step on the spot directly after it's been sprayed that it could be harmful. I wouldn't allow the kitties outside until after a few days it's been sprayed.

Vela
06-25-2007, 12:13 PM
You should consult ChemLawn or someone who does it professionally. We have ours done for weeds and improved growth in this horrid heat, and they do have some all natural products if you request them. Trust me, it'll be cheaper than trying to spray Round-Up, which really isn't going to be effective on a whole yard, on the whole thing.

shais_mom
06-25-2007, 12:53 PM
my parents spray my weeds -
my dad mixes his own mixture b/c he works @ an elevator -
after he sprays you can literally stand there and watch them die! :eek:
I keep Keegan away from the areas overnite and reallllllly try to not walk on the areas where he sprayed b/c when I walk over that area and walk across the grass you can see my foot prints a day or so later!
The regular roundup from a store isn't that strong but if the yard is that bad - I would look into some kind of professional to work with it.

Freedom
06-25-2007, 04:22 PM
I used Roundup in the early Spring this year for the dandelions.

I used it when rain was forecast in 2 or 3 days; and I did not let the cats out in the yard until AFTER the rain.

It was enough time for the Roundup to work and kill the weeds. I think it mentions you need 24 hours of no rain for it to work, but I don't remember.

Better to be safe, good for you for asking!

If the cats are in a new home, you really don't want them outside for a bit anyway. You need them inside setting their scent and understanding that THIS is now home. Good luck!

kuhio98
06-25-2007, 08:03 PM
Thanks everybody. I'll keep you posted on how it goes.
If we buy the house, we plan to leave the kitties right where they are until we get the yard taken care of and a kitty enclosure built. Once that's all done, then we'd move them over to start sniffing around and checking out their new digs.

wombat2u2004
06-25-2007, 08:07 PM
I wouldn't be using Roundup at all with pets around, it's actually a very poisonous herbicide, and I'm quite sure it would make your pets quite ill, even with the smallest amount.
Dandelions are actually easy to kill......pour boiling water on them, that's what gardeners here in Aussie do.
Wom

crow_noir
06-26-2007, 12:48 AM
I second this!

I wouldn't be using Roundup at all with pets around, it's actually a very poisonous herbicide, and I'm quite sure it would make your pets quite ill, even with the smallest amount.
Dandelions are actually easy to kill......pour boiling water on them, that's what gardeners here in Aussie do.
Wom

I also found the wonderful benefit of letting the yard grow wild... More wildlife! :D We're in the middle of the city and hardly ever seen anything besides English Sparrows and Starlings. This year we and our neighbors let our grass (and weeds) grow tall and go to seed before mowing it. We got American Goldfinches!!! :eek: That was my first time seeing them besides wayyyyyy out in the country at bird feeders.

Pam
06-26-2007, 06:13 AM
.pour boiling water on them, that's what gardeners here in Aussie do.
Wom

Well how about that? I had never heard of that and think it might be worth a try. (Now Wom you wouldn't be kidding us would you? I can see my neighbors getting a good laugh out of me standing there with my kettle of boiling water! :p )

wombat2u2004
06-26-2007, 06:33 AM
Well how about that? I had never heard of that and think it might be worth a try. (Now Wom you wouldn't be kidding us would you? I can see my neighbors getting a good laugh out of me standing there with my kettle of boiling water! :p )

It won't work Pam, unless you wear a pair of fairy wings on your back. :D
LOL.....no, it's real mate....try it...I'm sure your dandelions there are the same as ours.....and it works for me.
Just think about it......if it doesn't work for you, then you can always tell your neighbours that you got the idea from some crazy Aussie....LOL
Wom

wombat2u2004
06-26-2007, 07:11 AM
Just found this article on a site from a Victorian college.
You don't have to get a steam cleaner....just boil the water in a jug or kettle, and pour some on the plant.

Did you know an effective and
safe way to eradicate weeds is
to steam or pickle them?

Steam them!
As a low tech weed control
method, pour boiling water over
any unwanted plants. The
hardiest weed will die instantly
when coming into contact with
hot water.
Many councils are now using this method with large
pressure steamers on the back
of trucks to immediately kill
neighbourhood weeds without
using expensive and hazardous
chemicals. You can buy steam
cleaners cheaply that can be
carried on the shoulder and a
quick run around the garden will soon eradicate those
unwanted plants. If you are a
good shot, you will not harm any
wanted ones.

Pickle them!
A 5-percent concentration of
vinegar is an effective weed killer
against annual and perennial
weeds such as dandelions,
foxtail and thistle. When applied
to the weed foliage, the acid in
the vinegar acts as a contact
herbicide that kills the plants but
does not persist in the soil or
cause water or other pollution.
For older perennial weeds, you
may need to apply vinegar more
than once. Try heating the
vinegar for added punch.

Pam
06-26-2007, 07:29 AM
Wom thank you! I have been hesitant to use weed killer in the back yard because Ripley has been known to eat grass. Though I have never seen him eat a weed, I wouldn't put it past him. :rolleyes: Obviously a weed with poison is not something I would want him to try. :eek:

The hot water makes sense so I will give it a try. Thank you for the tip! As my neighbors laugh at me I will tell them that my expert landscaper friend from Australia told me about this and remind them that people made fun of Noah when he started to build the ark. :)

Kfamr
06-26-2007, 11:55 AM
Wow Wom, I've never heard of this! I'll have to tell my mother.
It would probably be a heck of a lot cheaper than the crap she uses, and safer.

Although, Florida weeds may be a bit more used to the hot water. Our hose is almost burning when you first turn it on!

smokey the elder
06-26-2007, 02:29 PM
Vinegar, how neat!

I think Roundup's claim to fame is that it breaks down very quickly (within days) to harmless by-products. But, I only use it for the most intractable weeds (poison ivy and burdock). I couldn't give a rip about dandelions or crabgrass.

crow_noir
06-27-2007, 12:01 AM
Even have had success on ridding unwanted trees this way. When we moved in there were a few trees way too close to the foundation to safely pull them out. What we did was saw them off as close to the ground as possible. Then we drilled a few holes straight down into base. Then we poured a few pots of BOILING water down into the holes. (These were large saplings. Almost as tall as a one story house. Not like HUGE trees.)

Great for sidewalk cracks also (unless you're talking Nightshade. ...I'm going to have to try the vinegar suggestion. Any other suggestions welcome.)

Well how about that? I had never heard of that and think it might be worth a try. (Now Wom you wouldn't be kidding us would you? I can see my neighbors getting a good laugh out of me standing there with my kettle of boiling water!)

wombat2u2004
06-27-2007, 03:00 AM
Vinegar, how neat!

I think Roundup's claim to fame is that it breaks down very quickly (within days) to harmless by-products. But, I only use it for the most intractable weeds (poison ivy and burdock). I couldn't give a rip about dandelions or crabgrass.

Yeah....Roundup breaks down very quickly, which is why they ask you to use it when there is no chance of rain for a few days. But I think during that first couple of days, it is very poisonous....and I certainly wouldn't let my pets come in contact with it.
Wom

Pam
07-08-2007, 02:13 PM
Wom, I actually did pour boiling water on a weed about a day or so after reading your advice. Well it worked, but unfortunately all of the surrounding grass also died. I suppose it would have worked better if I could have used a water pistol or syringe to direct the spray to the weed and the weed alone. :p

carole
07-08-2007, 03:03 PM
I don't know about cats, but for rabbits absolutely, my father had sprayed my section when we owned a rabbit many years ago, the wind had made it go further than it should have and lickrish got poisoned, she was only a baby and thank goodness survived it, but it was horrible , and i sure learned a lesson from that, no sprays are allowed outside at all in my section, i prefer to live with weeds, of course the council spray the outside and that is always a worry, but so far so good, just be very careful.,you can always use boiling water on weeds, that works ,makes them die, then pick them out, that is my preferred option, or alternative safe non toxic products.

shais_mom
07-08-2007, 03:15 PM
I suppose it would have worked better if I could have used a water pistol or syringe to direct the spray to the weed and the weed alone. :p
Good Luck, Pam, holding a syringe or water pistol filled with boiling water!!!
:eek:
:o :p

Pam
07-08-2007, 03:19 PM
Good Luck, Pam, holding a syringe or water pistol filled with boiling water!!!
:eek:
:o :p

LOL! :D Now there is the next million dollar invention ... an insulated water pistol or syringe for weed killing. Somehow I don't think the folks would be lining up to buy one. :D :D

shais_mom
07-08-2007, 03:21 PM
LOL! :D Now there is the next million dollar invention ... an insulated water pistol or syringe for weed killing. Somehow I don't think the folks would be lining up to buy one. :D :D
those lining up to buy it would probably be lining up outside the emergency room shortly after using it!
;)
:D

Pam
07-08-2007, 03:25 PM
those lining up to buy it would probably be lining up outside the emergency room shortly after using it!
;)
:D

:D :D :D (But their weeds would be dying!)

wombat2u2004
07-08-2007, 09:01 PM
Wom, I actually did pour boiling water on a weed about a day or so after reading your advice. Well it worked, but unfortunately all of the surrounding grass also died. I suppose it would have worked better if I could have used a water pistol or syringe to direct the spray to the weed and the weed alone. :p

Sheesh Pam !!!! What did you throw the boiling water on with ???
A bucket ??? :D
Mate, boiling water will kill ANY plant.....ya gota aim at the ones you want dead !!!!
Wom

Lady's Human
07-08-2007, 09:24 PM
LOL! Now there is the next million dollar invention ... an insulated water pistol or syringe for weed killing. Somehow I don't think the folks would be lining up to buy one.

Actually, it wouldn't be hard to design at all.

Pam
07-09-2007, 05:32 AM
Actually, it wouldn't be hard to design at all.

Once you design it I hope that you will give me maybe a 5% cut for thinking of it. :p :D

Karinavictoria
09-19-2017, 03:21 PM
My cat jessica was deliberately poisoned by an awful old lady and a Gardner in Coogee nsw she was sprayed by "round up"
On her fur and deliberately where she lay
The old lady didn't want her in the common grounds or unit block

The chemical was so intense it was all over my sofas, bedding, carpet, myself it stuck like super glue, obviously you can tell my girl was allowed everywhere she was no different to u and I actually she was she was an angel

After three months of a four week period contamination and a court case me winning measly $250 toilet paper money

Jessy was rushed into sash medical couldn't breathe only four years of age severe inflammatory bowl disease and diarrhoea non stop she lost 4kg and went from an exuberant well British short hair to an old 22 year old dying cat in weeks
I nursed jessy for a year she became so crippled she couldn't walk more than 10 tiny tiger steps
She died 4 days ago
Exactly as the new data shows how poisonous round up is

Read these articles
New science

http://www.gmoseralini.org/roundup-is-more-toxic-than-declared-new-criigen-study/

https://www.google.com.au/amp/healthypets.mercola.com/sites/healthypets/archive/2017/09/09/amp/gmos-in-pet-food.aspx

Round up caused a slow painful insidious death

And did exactly what the science states

Chronic inflammatory bowl diseases straight after the contamination unable to use bowl and her kidneys were poisoned they only functioned 25% within 12 weeks after poisoning it was insidious

May the world stop useing poisons

Facebook; karina victoria to see gorgeous jessy and more on her awful story

May get suffering becthe end of round up

Use pine oil it dsnt kill cats

Off course the company will tell u it's fine ask the owner of round up to drink a cup
Xxxxxxxxx

Karinavictoria
09-19-2017, 03:31 PM
1 year after jessy was deliberately poisoned with round up by a Gardner jessy died from glysophate poisoning
Only 5 years of age
Poisoned at age 4

Jessie had a huge fight $7500 vet bills and my support 24/7 whatever it took

Even small amounts of this ingested on their paws or fur science states will cause long term inflammatory diseases, please read the recent study, copy the link below

Bless her
May the world stop using poisons

http://www.gmoseralini.org/roundup-is-more-toxic-than-declared-new-criigen-study/

I also posted a post on here

Round up killed my cat

Karen
09-20-2017, 02:04 AM
We are so sorry for your loss. How awful!

Karinavictoria
09-20-2017, 02:12 AM
1 year after jessy was deliberately poisoned with round up by a Gardner jessy died from glysophate poisoning
Only 5 years of age
Poisoned at age 4

Even small amounts of this ingested on their paws or fur science states will cause long term inflammatory diseases, please read the recent study, copy the link below

Bless her

Karinavictoria
09-20-2017, 02:29 AM
Yeah....Roundup breaks down very quickly, which is why they ask you to use it when there is no chance of rain for a few days. But I think during that first couple of days, it is very poisonous....and I certainly wouldn't let my pets come in contact with it.
Wom

Actually round up does not break down quickly it's made to out last rain and water

Karinavictoria
09-20-2017, 02:36 AM
Be very careful who is telling u round up is safe

On the side of the bottle it states POISON

And it's a carcinogen

This chemical cocktail is made to last rain hail or snow it's built to last in water

Whoever is telling u otherwise sounds like they are not for cats and for pets

Round up in small amounts will create havoc in a cats digestive tract
And cost u a fortune in vet bills

Read the science

Use pine oil or boiling water

Y do you need to spray poisons?

My cat died from round up contamination

Karinavictoria
09-20-2017, 02:43 AM
Only 5 years of age
Poisoned at age 4

My cat jessica was deliberately poisoned by an awful old lady and a Gardner in Coogee nsw she was sprayed by "round up"
On her fur and deliberately where she lay
The old lady didn't want her in the common grounds or unit block

The chemical was so intense it was all over my sofas, bedding, carpet, myself it stuck like super glue, obviously you can tell my girl was allowed everywhere she was no different to u and I actually she was she was an angel

After three months of a four week period contamination and a court case me winning measly $250 toilet paper money

Jessy was rushed into sash medical couldn't breathe only four years of age severe inflammatory bowl disease and diarrhoea non stop she lost 4kg and went from an exuberant well British short hair to an old 22 year old dying cat in weeks
I nursed jessy for a year she became so crippled she couldn't walk more than 10 tiny tiger steps
She died 4 days ago
Exactly as the new data shows how poisonous round up is

Read these articles
New science

https://www.google.com.au/amp/healthypets.mercola.com/sites/healthypets/archive/2017/09/09/amp/gmos-in-pet-food.aspx

Round up caused a slow painful insidious death

And did exactly what the science states

Chronic inflammatory bowl diseases straight after the contamination unable to use bowl and her kidneys were poisoned they only functioned 25% within 12 weeks after poisoning it was insidious

May the world stop useing poisons

Facebook; karina victoria to see gorgeous jessy and more on her awful story

May her suffering be the end of round up

Use pine oil it dsnt kill cats

Off course the company will tell u it's fine ask the owner of round up to drink a cup
Xxxxxxxxx

Bless her

Karinavictoria
09-20-2017, 04:02 AM
Yes this is true

Small amounts are harmful to cats

Creates long insidious inflammatory diseases
Very true statement

Whoever is saying round up is safe
Doesn't read the science

Vette
09-20-2017, 11:25 PM
Wow... this makes me leary to walk my dog out in public places even if its just on the sidewalk