View Full Version : Feel so badly for my sister (and her pets)

jazzcat
06-25-2007, 10:50 AM
Last week my sister's 13 1/2 year old sheltie was hit by a car while she was gone on vacation. The guy who was staying at their house dog sitting left the back gate open and Lucy who is hard of hearing wandered out and and was hit and killed. My sister found out a day later after calling animal control and they told her they picked Lucy up. She's so upset and having a hard time dealing with it. She feels she let Lucy down. :(

On top of that she had to put her 11 year old wire haired terrier down just two months ago due to uncontrollable seizures. Her 12 year old cat died last fall too. In about 9 months she went from a four pet household to one, a cat.

I just sent her some flowers to work hoping it will cheer her up a little. I had to share because I know you guys can understand. So sad. :(

krazyaboutkatz
06-25-2007, 10:59 AM
I'm so sorry to hear this.:( Losing one pet is traumatic enough but losing so many in such a short period of time must be unbearable.:( I hope that the flowers will help brighten her day. Your sister and her family will be in my thoughts and prayers. RIP sweet Lucy, the wire haired terrier, and 12 year old kitty.:(

Karen
06-25-2007, 11:02 AM
Tell her she wil be in our prayers. She didn't let Lucy down, she loved Lucy and gave her a life any dog would want.

catnapper
06-25-2007, 11:03 AM
Oh my, how awful. I would be utterly inconsolable if that happened to me. Hugs and prayers for y our sister.

Catty1
06-25-2007, 11:09 AM
I'm sure the guy felt awful too - when you don't live in a place all the time, routines like shutting the gate don't come automatically...if it were me, I'd want to crawl under a rock and never come out.

Prayers to those three precious babies - play hard at the Bridge, little ones.

jazzcat
06-25-2007, 12:30 PM
Thank you all. I'll be sure to tell her that PT is mourning with her.

Catty - I can tell my sister is having a hard time dealing with her emotions over the dog sitter. Her comment to me was "I know he feels bad but I can't help him with that, he has to deal with it just like me." I kept telling her it was just a strange sequence of events. It's the first time ever that Lucy has wandered out of the fenced in yard because she is very skiddish. Even when their other dog, Rudy, got out before Lucy didn't follow. My sister feels Lucy went out looking for her which is making it even harder on her. It will just take time to heal her heartbreak.

anna_66
06-25-2007, 12:46 PM
Oh my:( She must be absolutely heartbroken.

Prayers being sent.

shais_mom
06-25-2007, 12:49 PM
hugs and prayers sent to your sister!

Alysser
06-25-2007, 12:53 PM
This post has left me heartbroken for your poor sister. I really hope she starts feeling better soon..I'll be thinking of her.

Catsnclay
06-25-2007, 09:48 PM
Oh my!

I can relate not only to your sister, but the sitter too! He must just feel terrible!

But your sister has to realize, that all her pets lived a GOOD and wonderful life, and death does come, unfortunetly it all came too soon for her, but sometimes that makes us a better person, although we cannot see or feel it right now.

My thoughts are with your sister, the sitter and you at this time.

............and this too shall pass...............

Marigold2
06-25-2007, 09:52 PM
Oh gosh I am so sorry. Please give her a hug from us.

Catty1
06-25-2007, 10:12 PM
Hugs and prayers to everyone....play hard at the Bridge, beloved furkids.

crow_noir
06-26-2007, 12:56 AM
OMG, that is just horrible! :(

* H U G S * for your sister.

Laura's Babies
06-26-2007, 06:56 AM
Your poor sister must feel like she is going to go nuts! How in the world will she handle this much sadness and heartbreak? Form 4 down to 1, her house must seem so empty! PLEASE keep a close eye on her and make sure she don't get depressed. This is just so heartbreaking! Prayers sent for her. Wish I could (((((HUG))))) her....

Catty1
06-26-2007, 09:45 AM
I hope one of her pet angels sends a furry foundling with sweet eyes...

Please let her know we are all thinking of her!

sirrahbed
06-26-2007, 10:49 AM
:( oh this is all so sad to read about. I can imagine how your sister must be feeling - guilty because she was gone, and then thinking Lucy went out looking for her :( That - on top of losing the terrier and older kitty.

Sending her flowers was very thoughtful, Lori. I am just so sorry. It will probably feel sad for a very long time. (((HUGS)))

jazzcat
06-26-2007, 11:02 AM
She sent me a quick email from work yesterday to thank me for the flowers. She said she was so blue and then the flowers arrived - it was like I knew she needed comfort. I'm so glad they helped. :)

She said when they arrived back home Sunday night it was so hard realizing Lucy was really gone and she was in the anger stage but now she's in the depression stage. Sounds like she is going through the process of grief.

She did mention something to me Saturday night on the phone about getting another dog. I told her if that was what she wanted not to feel guilty and wait too long. She and her husband have always had dogs and now that all their children have grown up and moved out I don't think she will wait too long.

Thanks again everyone.