PDA

View Full Version : Wish me luck!

horse_lover
06-24-2007, 02:04 AM
On July 8 i'm going to a barrel race with my horse Merry (I didn't name her). She is really quick and turns well but she likes to plow over the barrels. I was recently racing my cousin's Arab but I want to take it easy on her because she is twenty five. She's so full of energy you would never have guessed. She just get's too skinny when i race her so my little sister is going to ride her. She won't go fast so it works. Anyway, wish me luck! also, does anyone have any advice on how to stop my horse from plowing into the barrels? Thanx!

Toby's my baby
06-24-2007, 11:02 AM
Good luck!! I'm sure you will do great! I have my first show of the year comming up next Saturday and I am so excited!!

My suggestion: I'm guessing you have barrels at home to practice on? If not, I suggest getting at least one so you can practice your turns. I don't know how experienced you are so this might sound really basic to you... Do not ever run you horse any faster than a fairly slow lope when you are practicing. The only time your horse should ever run the pattern at a high speed is when you are showing it in a show. When you approach the barrel go a little wide first, and then cut close on the side you go around on. If she is still hitting the barrel, when you are practicing, go wide all the way around. At the show you can cut close like I suggested, and hopefully she won't hit the barrel. Practice, Practice, Practice is also good ;)

You can see in my signature how wide I go at first around a barrel...

Here is a horrible drawing but hopefully you can understand what I am trying to get at..

horse_lover
06-24-2007, 01:23 PM
thanx a lot! I've been riding close to 11 years now. The first barrel in clover leaf my horse turns great. The second one i go wide like you said Tobys_My_Baby and I don't even stear her she just jumps a little bit and plows it over. The last barrel she starts off fine. But if i go wide she turns and runs straight into the barrel. But if i don't go wide she hits the barrel with her side. I'm 13 and it's a little hard to control her. Should I have a bit, a hackamore, or a hack-bit?

Kalei
06-24-2007, 02:57 PM
I can't really suggest anymore than what toby's my baby said, she explained it very well, but I wanted to wish you good luck!:D I want to do barreling racing with my own horse someday, I can't wait til that day comes, so have fun and GOOD LUCK!!

Oh and I love the saying in your siggy by the way, its so funny and true:)

horse_lover
06-24-2007, 02:59 PM
thanx! i'll give you guys pics and tell you my placings!

JuniorxMyxLove
06-24-2007, 02:59 PM
oooh ooh I want to see Merry! I don't know anything about barrel racing, but it sounds fun, and I do want to try it some day. :]

horse_lover
06-24-2007, 03:01 PM
She's really pretty! I would give u a pic but the pictures got deleted from my computer so i have to take more. she's a beautiful pinto chincoteague mare

JuniorxMyxLove
06-24-2007, 03:03 PM
oh that sounds pretty. I ride a paint/pinto. His name is Junior. But I ride english.

horse_lover
06-24-2007, 03:06 PM
by chance are you looking for a horse to by?

Toby's my baby
06-24-2007, 07:31 PM
. I'm 13 and it's a little hard to control her. Should I have a bit, a hackamore, or a hack-bit?

Definently ride with a bit, and also a curb chain underneath. Have you ever tried riding with spurs?? I've never riden with spurs cause I always thought "jeez, that looks so mean" but as I've gotten older I've learned that if they are used correctly they are not mean at all, and can help both the horse and rider. If you've never ridden with spurs before, I would get spurs that are called "humane spurs", they don't have the spokes on them, they are just a bar, or one with a circle on the end. I think they also use them for english but I'm not sure. I'm sure you know what a curb chain is, but if not, I'm going to attach pictures. A curb chain and a bit are a MUST when barrel racing, Good LUCK!

spurs (http://www.diggerhistory.info/images/equipment/nzmr-spurs.jpg)

curbchain (http://www.outfitterssupply.com/images/WTKO627.jpg)

THIS (http://www.chicksaddlery.com/Merchant2/graphics/00000001/25694.JPG) is the bit I've used for the past 6 years. I LOVE it and so does my horse. The copper keeps his mouth moist, and if you dont have this bit, whatever bit you do get, get one with copper on it, so your horses mouth doesn't get dry. It causes the mouth to salivate keeping it soft and usable to the rider. Also this has a roller and is also a snaffle bit. If you want one it is called a reining bit w/roller or the Billy Allen reining bit. If you go to www.countrysupply.com and type in "reining bit w/roller" you will find a nice and inexpensive one. Good luck!!

horse_lover
06-24-2007, 07:35 PM
I have tried everything. The only thing she behaves with is a hackamore. She gets sores on her mouth when I use a bit because I have to pull so hard and she won't listen. I have used those types of spurs. she goes so fast I can't control her. HeHeHe!

JuniorxMyxLove
06-25-2007, 04:37 PM
. If you've never ridden with spurs before, I would get spurs that are called "humane spurs", they don't have the spokes on them, they are just a bar, or one with a circle on the end. I think they also use them for english but I'm not sure.

Yeah, they use them for english. I've ridden Junior with them. Man he was like a whole different horse. Er pony. Porse. Hony.

Toby's my baby
06-26-2007, 03:55 PM
I have tried everything. The only thing she behaves with is a hackamore. She gets sores on her mouth when I use a bit because I have to pull so hard and she won't listen. I have used those types of spurs. she goes so fast I can't control her. HeHeHe!

Do you use a curb chain when you use a bit??

horse_lover
06-26-2007, 06:17 PM
I tried her with a hackamore bit yesterday and she was doing so good. Maybe I'll just stick with that. Yes I use a curb chain. doesn't help though.

mike001
06-26-2007, 07:21 PM
On July 8 i'm going to a barrel race with my horse Merry (I didn't name her). She is really quick and turns well but she likes to plow over the barrels. I was recently racing my cousin's Arab but I want to take it easy on her because she is twenty five. She's so full of energy you would never have guessed. She just get's too skinny when i race her so my little sister is going to ride her. She won't go fast so it works. Anyway, wish me luck! also, does anyone have any advice on how to stop my horse from plowing into the barrels? Thanx!

Horse Lover-----you mentioned your horse gets skinny when you ride her, have you tried putting 1/4 cup of veggie oil in her feed 2x daily, she will put on lots of pounds with that. Helps keep a shiny coat on them too. You can also buy a lot of other supplements, but I always found the oil worked as well.

horse_lover
06-26-2007, 08:34 PM
Yeah but my younger horse needs to be worked. My lil sis is going to ride the old one. She doesn't nessecarily get skinny she just loses a few pounds. That's all. Thanks though. I've tried it. (oil) it does work!