PDA

View Full Version : Crisis at Calgary Humane Society

Catty1
06-23-2007, 07:21 PM
I just posted this on Pets Calgary and added the note at the top. I just get so mad! One of the group moderators posts a lot of 'free kitten' ads. :mad:
You probably saw or heard this on the news.

I admit my blood boils whenever I see a "free kitten" ad here or anywhere else....because of the situation below. There are NOT enough homes to go around. We are NOT in danger of running out of cats and dogs. Far from it.

SPAY AND NEUTER YOUR PETS.

Cat crisis at Humane Society calgary.ctv.ca

POSTED AT 4:21 PM Friday, June 22
Calgary's Humane Society is dealing with a cat crisis.

Calgary Humane Society

Officials say dozens of cats and kittens are being surrendered ever day, which is creating a major strain on the facility.

Spirited kittens and playful cats are putting on their best show in the hope of being adopted, but the reality is many will have to be put down.

There are currently 400 cats at the facility already and there is a usually spike in drop-offs during the summer.

Officials warn if the cats aren't adopted within a week they'll have to consider euthanizing them to make way for others.

“We really don't want to have to put cats down, but because there aren't enough homes for cats there is actually an overpopulation and there's not enough homes we can find who will taken them in comparison to the number of cats that are available,” said Hedy Hope from the Calgary Humane Society.

Pet owners are urged to spay and neuter to their animals to help control the pet population.

Anyone interested in adopting a cat, or any pet, can contact visit the Calgary Humane Society’s web site to see what pets are available.

jennielynn1970
06-23-2007, 09:41 PM
Holy crap! They're only giving them a week?! That's no time at all!! :eek:

Queen of Poop
06-23-2007, 09:57 PM
And the website sucks for trying to get a look at all these cats!!!

There are very few that are being shown.

And after my experience at Petcetera where the litter boxes were over full and the complete lack of response from my email to the Humane Society in that regard, I am remiss to trust them.

Catty1
06-23-2007, 11:37 PM
Well, I do know that public appeals in the past have prevented the euthanasia. This is a peak season, so I hope it works again.

Interesting how the Cochrane Humane here has never had to have these announcements, as far as I know. Of course, Cochrane is way smaller than Calgary.

I think the HS here has helped with Calgary overflow from time to time.

Prayers that enough babies find homes!

Laura's Babies
06-24-2007, 07:59 AM
It is just the sad, sad truth that there will never be enough homes for these wonderful creatures. The only way is to spay/neuter and hope that makes a dent in the ones that have to be PTS in shelters. Lets hope that plea gets as many homes as there are wonderful babies there.

phesina
06-24-2007, 08:56 AM
Prayers that kitties will be adopted... Cochrane can help out again if needed... and PEOPLE START BEING RESPONSIBLE AND SPAYING/NEUTERING THEIR PETS!!!!!

Pat

catmandu
06-24-2007, 01:08 PM
I Have Said This In The Past And Still Say That The Tidal Wave Of Unwanted Pets Is Going To Make The Humane Societies Start Wholesale Killing Of Shelter Animals.
The People Of The Last Two Generations Have Never Been Taught Responsibility And Sadly Its GODS Creatures Who Are Suffering.
These Are Generations That Just Refuse To Grow Up, Damn Them.