PDA

View Full Version : Manx Syndrome Help!!

Lori Jordan
06-23-2007, 04:23 PM
I have taken in a male kitten who is unfortunatley been diagnosed with Manx syndrome.

The lady who had him was going to put him down,I caught word and went right over and got him.

I took him to the vet that day,Doc said they do not live as long as a normal cat but he said you could have him for 5-6 years.

I have gotten supplies such has diapers,Gloves,I have been helping him with his bowel movements,He is a cheerful little guy,He plays,Has an appetite.

Does anyone know anything about this disease,Have any had any manx cats with the MS??Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Here he is My daughter called him Dylan
http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i79/JamieLori/Randoms022.jpg

catmandu
06-23-2007, 04:34 PM
I HAVE JUST LOOKED THAT UP ON WIKIPEDIA.
BLESS YOU FOR GIVING THIS LITTLE FELLOW A FURR EVER HOME AND AS GOOD A LIFE AS YOU CAN GIVE HIM. ITS PEOPLE LIKE YOU WHO HELP CATS THAT MOST PEOPLE WOULD AVOID THAT MAKE ME PROUD TO BE A PET TALKER.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v621/catmandu/cats101940.jpg

Taz_Zoee
06-23-2007, 04:39 PM
Here at those great minds again Gary. I too had no idea what MS was so I looked it up as well. Although I do not have any suggestions for you, it is great that you have saved this kitten and will let it live it possibly short life knowing the comfort of love. :)
Welcome Dylan to PT!! :D :D

Lori Jordan
06-23-2007, 04:40 PM
I must say i am frustrated!I wish i had a wand were i could make things better,But i will say if in our journey he ever starts to suffer,I will not be selfish i will make the call and do whatis right for him.

But on that note he is happy,He plays he is enjoying life.

It frustrates me how some people give up,None of my animals have ever gaven up.They are the first ones there when i need someone.

I could not let this little guy die,He is easy to care for(The diaper thing isn't going as i would like it,I have bite marks all over my hands,They will heal.

The vet said he would like to see him once a month,He knew i was not bringing him in to lay him to rest,He knows how stubborn i am when it comes to my animals.If there is a chance im taking it.

Laura's Babies
06-23-2007, 04:53 PM
I have never heard of MS but he is one adoreable little sweetheart and will repay you in love many, many times for saving him. He is just so darn CUTE!!!

jennielynn1970
06-23-2007, 05:35 PM
Oh my gosh... I had never heard of that, and so also had to Google it. Never knew cats had anything like Spina Bifida. Wow! That poor little thing! I'm so glad that you took him in. What a sweet little face he has too. Maybe if you can get him used to the diapers early, it will become 2nd nature to him and he won't protest so much. Would giving him treats or having someone else distracting him help in getting them on??

What a sweetie pie.. please give him some gentle hugs and kisses for me.

krazyaboutkatz
06-23-2007, 05:41 PM
I've never heard of this either but he sure is adorable.:) I hope that you'll be able to make him as comfortable as possible for whatever length of time he has with you. Good luck.:)

Freedom
06-23-2007, 06:19 PM
Dylan is SO fortunate to have found you! Bless you both!

I found this sweet photo of a kittie with Manx Syndrome on the Pets with Disabilties web site. It is old, from 2003. If you haven't already found a support forum, you may wish to contact them and see if they know of one.

Here is their link: http://www.petswithdisabilities.org/archive03.html

Oh, I just found one you may wish to look at:
http://www.handicappedpets.net/viewtopic.php?p=45368

Lori Jordan
06-23-2007, 06:25 PM
Dylan is SO fortunate to have found you! Bless you both!

I found this sweet photo of a kittie with Manx Syndrome on the Pets with Disabilties web site. It is old, from 2003. If you haven't already found a support forum, you may wish to contact them and see if they know of one.

Here is their link: http://www.petswithdisabilities.org/archive03.html

Oh, I just found one you may wish to look at:
http://www.handicappedpets.net/viewtopic.php?p=45368

Thank you so much! I have pampers new born diapers for him,And they all get shredded,And it is hard to put them on,But that diaper looks so much easier to get on.

Thanks so much for all the support,I have to put him on a special diet also so he always has looser stool,It is easier for them and i for the bowel movements.

Freedom
06-23-2007, 06:31 PM
Welcome! Sometimes, it is easier for someone with some "distance" to do a bit of searching. I think if you can connect up with some other folks dealing with MS, you will receive - and eventually share - tips to help. Just as we do here on PT for more general things.

One place I looked at suggested keeping the area around the private parts a bit shaved to help with washing, cleaning and avoiding developing a rash. YOu need to tap in to a group of folks for tips like that!

Medusa
06-23-2007, 08:06 PM
Aw, sweet little one. Bless you for taking him in. Having several special needs cats myself, I know how blessed you become. You'll be good for each other.

mrspunkysmom
06-23-2007, 09:43 PM
Thank you for taking him in.

I had a manx cat when I was a teenager. We adopted her when on vacation at my great uncles. She was sterile and only lived a few years. I do not think it was related to the MS but I cannot remember.

Anyway, I've heard two theories as to why some manx develop MS and some do not.

1) The manx cat has to alternate breeding with non-manx cats every other generation. So if two manx breed, their offspring must breed with non-manx. If the manx-to-manx breeding continues unto the third generation, the litters are born with many problems including sterility and spina bifida, and do not live long. I don't remember what problems are with the second generation breeding.

2) A manx can have no tail, a stub tail, or a long tail. The tail does not define the manx, as the manx also have longer hind legs, and probably a few other characteristics I've forgotten. A no-tail or stub-tail manx must breed with a long-tail every other generation to reduce the possibility of genetic problems such as spina bifida.

Of course, people can get awfully hot when you introduce a theory they do not like, but I have heard both of those theories.

I suspect that both are true. People who are stuck on pure-manx would not like breeding with a non-manx. I also suspect that on the Isle of Man many of the long-tail cats that were assumed to be non-manx and were actually long-tail manx.

I also assume that breeding every other generation with a non-manx would not breed out the characteristics.

I hope I remembered everything as I am doing this from memory.

Bless you again.

Remember to get your bites looked at and keep them clean.

Anne

Lizzie
06-24-2007, 12:57 AM
The very best people you can talk to about this on P.T. are two who don't post here very often because they are so very busy. I will send them both regular emails and ask them to drop in. Mumpkees, in particular, has specialized for years in cats with disabilities that make diapers, expressing bladders and bowels, etc. necessary on a daily basis. You might also want to subscribe to the Yahoo group Handicats2, make sure it has the 2 after it because the regular Handicats group is rarely visited except by spammers.

You've done a wonderful thing and I hope this little guy has many happy years ahead of him.

critters
06-24-2007, 07:25 AM
Perhaps he'd like expressing better than diapers. Go to http://www.handicappedpets.net and see the sticky on the incontinence bb for tons of info about diapers, expressing, shaving, and Cavilon spray to keep poop and pee off that cute little baby butt!! There are even several newbies with new babies with spina bifida, mostly on the neuro bb.