PDA

View Full Version : 16 year old student marries 40 year old

ratdogg
06-22-2007, 08:05 PM
http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/Story?id=3305652&page=2

Coach, 40, Weds 16-Year-Old Student

Anguished Parents Sign Consent Forms, Saying They Had No Choice Font Size

The Hagers contacted police; they even tried to get a restraining order.

"We've tried everybody. We've been to the law. We've been to the school board," Betty said. "Our family has come and tried to talk to her. We've had people on the phone with her for hours — family, friends. We've been to our pastor asking for guidance. We've been to his pastor."

Meanwhile, the Hagers say Windy withdrew, refusing to speak to them until she asked them to sign a consent form so that she and her coach — a man more than twice her age — could get married.

Although anguished, her weary parents gave in.

"Signing those consent forms was the hardest thing I did in my whole life, but we had to move on, it was going to kill us all," Dennis said.

Monday, Windy and Wuchae married, and he resigned from the school.

But was Windy really old enough to understand her decision? Experts say it's a difficult situation.

"With most teenagers, they're not sure yet who's who and what's what and what should be done," said Henry Paul, author of the book "Is My Teenager OK?" "It's obviously up to the adult figure to set the boundaries."

Windy and her new husband would not comment for this story, but the Hagers realize what they've lost.

ewwww, it is so disgusting that this can happen. how is possibly legal?!?!?

Alysser
06-22-2007, 08:12 PM
That is really disgusting! The parents, IMO, anyway obviously didn't try hard enough to convince her. Not that it's any of my business really, but that really is sick, who'd do that? None the less, LET their kid do that. The dude is old enough to be her father! :eek:

Too each his own...I guess. :(

Edwina's Secretary
06-22-2007, 08:17 PM
When I was in high school there were these twin sisters. The week after we graduated one of them married the German teacher (she was already 18...)

Last I knew...they were still married....

Laura's Babies
06-22-2007, 08:24 PM
That is disgusting! I can not believe the school board wouldn't do anything and that is disgusting too!

Giselle
06-22-2007, 11:44 PM
Stupid, idiotic, impulsive. Ah, the joys of teenhood :p

Hmm, I wonder how she's going to live the rest of her life...

wombat2u2004
06-23-2007, 12:45 AM
Why is this disgusting folks ?????
The two in question may well love each other.
They may live happily ever after and surprise all.
I hope they do.
Wom

G535
06-23-2007, 12:46 AM
My friend is 60, her husband is 86 and they have been happily married for over 40 years.

wombat2u2004
06-23-2007, 12:53 AM
My friend is 60, her husband is 86 and they have been happily married for over 40 years.

Of course. There isn't anything wrong with that at all....good luck to them.
Wom

crow_noir
06-23-2007, 03:44 AM
I don't see what's so wrong about it. They are both consensual.

ewwww, it is so disgusting that this can happen. how is possibly legal?!?!?

steel
06-23-2007, 04:16 AM
legal age in new jersey is 16.the teen girl has known her coach since she was 14.the police cant prove they were having sex,etc ... so they cant do anything.in america the divorce rate is over 50% so hopefully this marriage works out.its 2007 not 1907.16 yr olds are not babies and many of them are quite mature.its their business what they do with their lives,not ours.i shall send the newlyweds a congradulations e-mail.the girl is a cutie as well.i wonder if she she has a twin sister..hmmmmmm maybe a summer trip to nj is in order.i have family near hackensack.

Lilith Cherry
06-23-2007, 06:04 AM
My best friend at school was 17 when she married our 39 year old English teacher ( he moved schools) . They have been married for forty years now and have three grown children. They are a happy loving family! Love comes in many forms so please don't be judgemental.

ratdogg
06-23-2007, 08:35 AM
so would it be ok for a 10 year old to marry a 30 year old then?

sparks19
06-24-2007, 04:10 PM
There are plenty of 16 year olds out there getting pregnant and get stuck raising the baby on their own..... I think a consensual marriage isn't that big a deal..... at 16 you can emancipate yourself and be an adult..... and while it may only be 6 years..... 10 and 16 are a far cry from each other. There is a HUGE amount of developement going on between 10 and 16 and A LOT of things change. In some places 16 is a legal age.....

Do you think if she waited till she was 18 there would be a big difference? It's only two years.... and not really a HUGE 2 years in developement. Why would it be more acceptable at 18? it is not a choice I would have made but that doesn't matter.

catnapper
06-24-2007, 04:26 PM
I once became good friends with a coworker who was a former high school teacher that ended up marrying one of his former students. After hearing his story I feel a bit different than I would have if I didn't know someone in this situation. He truly loved her, and she loved him. They didn't have a sexual relationship til after they got married.

Ah, but true love didn't last for them. They divorced about 10 years later. He fell in love again with a young woman who was in her early 20's when he was nearly 50. That marriage ended a few years later too.... poor guy just couldn't quite find lasting love!

lizbud
06-24-2007, 04:40 PM
Give me a break. The quote "Although anguished, her weary parents gave in." :rolleyes: The parents gave up a long time ago if they would let their
child guilt them in doing whatever the kid wanted to do. She could have
stomped her feet too. :rolleyes:

moosmom
06-24-2007, 05:19 PM
Hey, to each his own, I say. They obviously love each other. Who are we to criticize?? all you can do is congratulate them and HOPE for the best.

wombat2u2004
06-24-2007, 05:33 PM
Hey, to each his own, I say. They obviously love each other. Who are we to criticize?? all you can do is congratulate them and HOPE for the best.

Yep.....my thoughts exactly.
Wom

mike001
06-24-2007, 05:37 PM
Is it true love or infatuation? IMO a 16 yr old , no matter how mature doesn't really know the meaning of love. You have to experience life itself before making such decisions. while I was in school we had the most handsome English teacher, every girl had a crush on him....wasn't love, it was infatuation.
I think her parents are to blame if they didn't see it coming, sounds like they didn't use great measures to prevent this.

James grow up, you sound like a 2 yr old.

joycenalex
06-24-2007, 05:52 PM
legal age in new jersey is 16.....its 2007 not 1907...
and i'd lay odds a 16 year old in 1907 was more responsible then 2007.

wombat2u2004
06-24-2007, 05:52 PM
Is it true love or infatuation? IMO a 16 yr old , no matter how mature doesn't really know the meaning of love. You have to experience life itself before making such decisions. while I was in school we had the most handsome English teacher, every girl had a crush on him....wasn't love, it was infatuation.
I think her parents are to blame if they didn't see it coming, sounds like they didn't use great measures to prevent this.

James grow up, you sound like a 2 yr old.

No....I think a 16 year old girl is quite capable of falling in love.
My mother is living proof of that.....she herself admits that it was true love when she met my dad, and has always been so. Do your maths....I was born when my mum was 16, she went on to have another 5 children, they were married for 54 years, and when dad died she was so very inconsolable for a long time. She still misses him.
Wom

sparks19
06-24-2007, 06:26 PM
No....I think a 16 year old girl is quite capable of falling in love.
My mother is living proof of that.....she herself admits that it was true love when she met my dad, and has always been so. Do your maths....I was born when my mum was 16, she went on to have another 5 children, they were married for 54 years, and when dad died she was so very inconsolable for a long time. She still misses him.
Wom

I was just going to tell a similar story. I know a lady who is a dear friend and she started dating her husband when she was 14..... he just passed away two years ago after a heart attack and she was devestated. They were very much in love from the day they met till the day he passed away.

Giselle
06-24-2007, 06:45 PM
I'm going to assume that most of you are well over the age of 20, at least. As an almost 16-year-old, I can tell you that, no, many of my peers are not mature enough to handle marriage, and, no, most of them can't differentiate between true love and infatuation. Yes, age is just a number and love has no physical limitations or boundaries. However, this GIRL is just 16. In this modern world where a large number of teens leave home at age 18 not to start their careers but to continue their education, I firmly feel 16 is not the age to begin a marriage to somebody 24 years older. I don't see why she wanted to rush this. Why not continue dating and wait a few years (i.e. when she enters college??).

And, I have to disagree. There is a lot of mental and physical development that takes place between 16 and 18. There've been a good deal of studies regarding young teens and their ability/mental maturity to drive a car. At 16, it's undeniable that our brains are still in a fast rate of growth and development. Maybe I should stick my head out from my books, but that's my belief.

Crazy-Cat-Lover
06-24-2007, 07:07 PM
I have been happily married to my husband for almost a year. I am 22, he's 41. I was 21 when I married him and made the decision based on love. He might be a lot older than me, but he is a great husband and a wonderful father. Most people are shocked when they find out the age difference, but they can see that we DO love each other dearly.

Argranade
06-24-2007, 09:13 PM
Love realy does not have any boundries lol (sp?).

Sorry but I find that kinda gross lol.

theterrierman
06-24-2007, 09:26 PM
Although I don't find it particularly pleasant, the thing is, it's their choice whether they want to get married. It's legal. Hell, if they're in love, it's alot more acceptable to me than some gold-digger marrying some man/woman on their deathbed to inherit their estate. And, the girl is physically and sexually mature, so it's not pedophilia in any way. What bothers me, is how the relationship was initiated. I sure as heck hope this guy was conducting himself properly at school.

Karen
06-24-2007, 09:27 PM
I have known 16-year-olds that were more mature than some 25-year-olds I knew, and vice versa. I do wonder though, if, in ten year's time, he'll dump her when she's an adult woman and find another gullible teen to pursue, but only time will tell, and doubtless the media will not care.

critter crazy
06-24-2007, 09:34 PM
I dont care either way, dosent affect me in the least bit. My parents are 27 years apart, and they are very happily married. Hubby and I are 10 years apart, I moved in with him, when I was 18, and he was 28. we have been together so far, for over 10 years. to each their own, I say.:)

crow_noir
06-25-2007, 12:40 AM
I also say a 16 year old is capable of being in true love. I'm not saying all will or can be at that age, but it's not impossible either. On the opposite end I've also known of adults who never did and only knew infatuation. Everyone is an individual. Our brains all mature and get different emotions at different rates. That's what makes us all so unique.

Is it true love or infatuation? IMO a 16 yr old , no matter how mature doesn't really know the meaning of love. You have to experience life itself before making such decisions. while I was in school we had the most handsome English teacher, every girl had a crush on him....wasn't love, it was infatuation...

vinjashira
06-25-2007, 08:51 AM
so would it be ok for a 10 year old to marry a 30 year old then?
no it's not ok for a 10 year old to marry a 30 year old.
in fact it's not ok for a 10 year old to marry another 10 year old either.

the fact is she is 16 not 10.

catnapper
06-25-2007, 09:10 AM
I've been thinking about this thred. I think there are 3 ways a 16 year old can fall in love:
1) they honestly fall in love. Like Wombat's mom, it can be a lasting love.
2) they fall in love with the idea of being in love. They might not have much self confidence and a guy can take advantage of that. Whether they are 20 years older or the same age, a guy can manipulate their insecurity and make the girl think they are the greatest thing going and the girl falls hard for the guy pretending to be everything she ever wanted. I think this is part of Ashley's thing with Cameron's dad.... I'm sorry to admit she had pooor self-confidence. I think this is also where my coworker's ex-wives fall. He simply wanted the youthful figure they had ;)
3) they pick a guy who excites them and makes the parents cringe. Teens are good at rebelling and good at picking out boyfriends who make mom and dad see red. (I also swear this is another part of why Ashley chose Cam's father.)

Now, if they fall in love with option 1, there's nothing we can do but sit back and watch their love grow. If they fall in love with #2 or 3, then we can sit back and watch everything fall apart. If we interfere (especially with reason #3) we only make the guy more attactive. It'll only be a matter of time before she realizes her mistake. It'll be up to her how long she take to admit and rectify her mistake. Thankfully Ashley didn't take too long (only 1 year - yahoo the jerk is gone!).

mike001
06-25-2007, 12:47 PM
I'm going to assume that most of you are well over the age of 20, at least. As an almost 16-year-old, I can tell you that, no, many of my peers are not mature enough to handle marriage, and, no, most of them can't differentiate between true love and infatuation. Yes, age is just a number and love has no physical limitations or boundaries. However, this GIRL is just 16. In this modern world where a large number of teens leave home at age 18 not to start their careers but to continue their education, I firmly feel 16 is not the age to begin a marriage to somebody 24 years older. I don't see why she wanted to rush this. Why not continue dating and wait a few years (i.e. when she enters college??).

And, I have to disagree. There is a lot of mental and physical development that takes place between 16 and 18. There've been a good deal of studies regarding young teens and their ability/mental maturity to drive a car. At 16, it's undeniable that our brains are still in a fast rate of growth and development. Maybe I should stick my head out from my books, but that's my belief.

Congratulations Giselle, you appear to be very well in touch with reality. This was by far the most mature response on the subject.

animal_rescue
06-25-2007, 01:20 PM

I definitely have to agree with you! I'm almost 18 years old and I know plenty of peers who think they are in love but are far from it. One example is a boyfriend from when I was 15. He told me he loved me when we had only been dating for about 3 weeks. My answer was "Uhh thanks" When he asked why I didn't say it back, I simply replied I didn't know him well enough to love him. Sure I loved him as a friend but I don't believe true loves comes along until you really have been with that person and known them. Needless to say I dumped him a couple of weeks later, way too immature for me. Happily have been single since. :p Anyways not trying to make this about me, but hopefully some people will understand seeing it come from us Youngins. I just don't think she is mentally stable enough to be married, in my sociology class we learned the difference between adults and teens and even about how love occurs.

Lady's Human
06-25-2007, 02:09 PM
It really depends completely on the individuals involved. I've seen marriages between relatively young people work, and marriages between "mature" (chronologically only) people fail.

Being in the military, you meet people from all areas of the US, who come from all types of backgrounds. In some areas a 16 y/o getting married wouldn't be unusual at all. (This created some interesting issues for the Army when someone from a state where the legal age for marriage was 16 moved with their spouse to a state where the legal age was 18. In some instances the Army had a hell of a time fighting legal issues involving statutory rape, transport of a minor across state lines, etc.)

RICHARD
06-25-2007, 03:28 PM
What about Celine Dion's creepy husband?

She's creepy too, but I digress..

------

Mary Kay Letourneau is still married to the kid she "raped"

-------

What would Bear Grylls do?

Cataholic
06-25-2007, 03:34 PM
What about Celine Dion's creepy husband?

She's creepy too, but I digress..

You do raise an interesting point.

wombat2u2004
06-25-2007, 09:37 PM
Congratulations Giselle, you appear to be very well in touch with reality. This was by far the most mature response on the subject.

LOL....thats only because Giselle agrees with your point of view !!!!! And that statement is only YOUR opinion. And REALITY ???? I think not.
We have seen on this thread, so many examples on each side of the argument, some successful, others unsuccessful. So hey....what is the true message here ????? As Crow Noir pointed out quite correctly along the lines of "We are all human, we all react differently, we all have different needs, we all mature differently, and that,s what makes us all unique as individuals".
The fact is, we are ALL VERY different, and the sooner we stop putting our own expectations on others the better.
I say good luck to this couple, and I sincerely hope that it all works out for them.
Wom

mugsy
06-26-2007, 04:44 PM
This is the first time I've read this thread and a little surprised this is "THE" thread.

As a teacher, I think the man made a poor choice, but, if they are in love, they are in love. Like LH said, it depends on the state. If in NC the legal age of consent is 16, then they did nothing wrong. Teachers, however, for one reason or another, are held to a higher standard when it comes to this stuff. I'm too old now and too fat for kids to have a crush on me, but, I know there are kids that have crushes on their teachers. Sometimes it's just that, and other times, AFTER the student gets out of school they date and marry. I had one of my student teachers fall in love with and marry one of his students (that was when he was student teaching in high school). They had a couple of kids, unfortunately, they are divorcing, but, I seriously doubt it has anything to do with him being her teacher 12 years ago.

I also agree with Liz that the parents obviously were oblivious to their daughter's goings on and when they figured it out, it was "too late".

Honestly, when it comes right down to it, it's no one's business but theirs. Just a thought or 2 from an oldster teacher.

mike001
06-26-2007, 07:46 PM
LOL....thats only because Giselle agrees with your point of view !!!!! And that statement is only YOUR opinion. And REALITY ???? I think not.
We have seen on this thread, so many examples on each side of the argument, some successful, others unsuccessful. So hey....what is the true message here ????? As Crow Noir pointed out quite correctly along the lines of "We are all human, we all react differently, we all have different needs, we all mature differently, and that,s what makes us all unique as individuals".
The fact is, we are ALL VERY different, and the sooner we stop putting our own expectations on others the better.
I say good luck to this couple, and I sincerely hope that it all works out for them.
Wom

No, not at all. It's because Giselle and Animal-lover sound like two very mature teens themselves and what better opinion than from someone in that age bracket. I would be proud to have the two of them as daughters with that kind of level headed thinking. Any mother letting a 14 yr old start dating a man old enough to be her father sounds a bit off the wall to me. At 14 a girl is still a child and at 16 her body might look adult but is very far from it, she still has a lot of developing to do, bodywise and brainwise.
I never said they did anything wrong, I just said that in today's world, teens have a hard enough time coping with their education and the world around them without looking for more problems by getting married and bringing children into the world. Sounds too much like a soap opera to me.
Again I repeat my congratulations to Giselle and Animal Lover for their maturity.

Twisterdog
06-27-2007, 12:10 AM
Only time will tell.

On one hand ... my grandparents married when my grandma was fourteen and my grandpa was twenty-five! They were SO in love for sixty-seven years of marriage until my grandpa died.

On the other hand ... what one wants at sixteen is usually VASTLY different from what one wants later on in life. Obviously not always, since some May-December romances last in the long run. But most of us change a LOT from sixteen to twenty, or twenty-five. My son is sixteen and there is no WAY he knows what he wants from a life-long partner. He is still so much a child in many ways.

wombat2u2004
06-27-2007, 01:46 AM
No, not at all. It's because Giselle and Animal-lover sound like two very mature teens themselves and what better opinion than from someone in that age bracket. I would be proud to have the two of them as daughters with that kind of level headed thinking. Any mother letting a 14 yr old start dating a man old enough to be her father sounds a bit off the wall to me. At 14 a girl is still a child and at 16 her body might look adult but is very far from it, she still has a lot of developing to do, bodywise and brainwise.
I never said they did anything wrong, I just said that in today's world, teens have a hard enough time coping with their education and the world around them without looking for more problems by getting married and bringing children into the world. Sounds too much like a soap opera to me.
Again I repeat my congratulations to Giselle and Animal Lover for their maturity.

Yes....I know what your saying Mike, and I do agree with you to a certain extent. However I'm still of the opinion that we just can't lump all 16 year olds into the same immature bucket, I guess I don't look at things in a generalised sort of a way.
Wom

Marigold2
06-27-2007, 07:27 AM
Sixteen year old girls should not marry. They really need time to grow and find out about themselves. College or trade school, travel, making new friends, working those few years and learning what they are good at. When you are 16 you are just learning to drive, have hardly any work experience, don't know how to sign a lease, take out a loan, open bank accounts, buy a car, budget a checkbook, probably she never gave a thought to bill paying. This is a father figure to her not a husband.

Perhaps 50 years ago these marries worked better but the world is different now. Woman don't stay home and have babies, they go out in the world and work, travel, make important decisions on how companies are run, not just what baby bottle is best.

At 16 most girls are reading Cosmo and wondering does the pink or the peach nail polish go better with this outfit, not how many pounds of ground beef do I need to make this dish and what toliet bowl cleaner is going to be on sale.

Sixteen year olds should be out partying and having fun. This teacher is robbing a young girl of her chance at being a young girl and asking her to be an adult, let her have her fun and her education let her be 16.

For God's sake, is she bringing her husband to the prom?

Cataholic
06-27-2007, 03:20 PM
My son is sixteen and there is no WAY he knows what he wants from a life-long partner. He is still so much a child in many ways.

Darn. Rules out another one for me..... :D

Muddy4paws
06-27-2007, 06:20 PM
I think that if they both love each other than why not? Whats the worst that could happen?

She could end up happily married for the rest of her life or end up breaking up?

I dont agree with the whole teacher and student love thing but if it happens it happens.

Im 19 and I find older men alot more appealing than guys my age, Maybe because Im more mature but it seems like guys my age are still trying to prove that london is a ghetto. :rolleyes:

Ive been with my boyfriend for 2 years now and hes older than me and I was told that wasn't going to work out but he completly understands me and I feel more his age than mine to be honest. I am very mature for my age and people seem to think I am older than 19 and are quite shocked when I tell them! I wouldnt of been able to gain the confidence I got today without my boyfriend and I love him to bits and hes always been so supportive over my dog grooming buisness and my life decisions. People my age who I meet dont seem to push themselves enough and my I think having a older boyfriend does help in the sense because hes older and understands me more than anyone my age would.

Maybe thats how shes feeling?

I say good luck to her and her new partner, if people have problems with it then let them, Only she can say how she feels.

wombat2u2004
06-27-2007, 07:35 PM
I think that if they both love each other than why not? Whats the worst that could happen?

She could end up happily married for the rest of her life or end up breaking up?

I dont agree with the whole teacher and student love thing but if it happens it happens.

Im 19 and I find older men alot more appealing than guys my age, Maybe because Im more mature but it seems like guys my age are still trying to prove that london is a ghetto. :rolleyes:

Ive been with my boyfriend for 2 years now and hes older than me and I was told that wasn't going to work out but he completly understands me and I feel more his age than mine to be honest. I am very mature for my age and people seem to think I am older than 19 and are quite shocked when I tell them! I wouldnt of been able to gain the confidence I got today without my boyfriend and I love him to bits and hes always been so supportive over my dog grooming buisness and my life decisions. People my age who I meet dont seem to push themselves enough and my I think having a older boyfriend does help in the sense because hes older and understands me more than anyone my age would.

Maybe thats how shes feeling?

I say good luck to her and her new partner, if people have problems with it then let them, Only she can say how she feels.

Well said Muddy....well said.
Wom

Pembroke_Corgi
06-27-2007, 09:19 PM
I think the disturbing thing about this story is that this man was in a position of authority, and line was crossed that should definitely not be crossed, in my opinion. He was her teacher and she is still in high school.

I don't see a problem with two adults who have a significant age difference getting married, but that is a completely different story. He is an adult, she is not, and he is in a position of authority over her. I'm pretty sure people who think this is one big romantic fantasy wouldn't want their teenage daughter to run off with coach.

I can't believe her parents just caved in like that, either. If it was really that important, if they were really "in love," something as big as a marriage could have waited till she was 18.

mike001
06-27-2007, 09:32 PM
Yes....I know what your saying Mike, and I do agree with you to a certain extent. However I'm still of the opinion that we just can't lump all 16 year olds into the same immature bucket, I guess I don't look at things in a generalised sort of a way.
Wom

Not exactly generalizing, well yes, maybe I am....I just think 16 is way too young in this day and age. Again, not that I am condemning them for doing wrong. Just think that life still has a lot to offer kids of that age today. And education is so much more important today than it was a century ago. But I do wish them happiness and hope it does last.

sparks19
06-28-2007, 10:32 AM
Not exactly generalizing, well yes, maybe I am....I just think 16 is way too young in this day and age. Again, not that I am condemning them for doing wrong. Just think that life still has a lot to offer kids of that age today. And education is so much more important today than it was a century ago. But I do wish them happiness and hope it does last.

But who's to say she can't get her education or won't? Marriage does not prevent one from travelling, experiencing life, or getting an education.

I know plenty of married couples who decided to further their education after they were married.

Who is to say that if she hadn't married him that she would have went to college or even finished highschool.

wombat2u2004
06-28-2007, 05:53 PM
But who's to say she can't get her education or won't? Marriage does not prevent one from travelling, experiencing life, or getting an education.

I know plenty of married couples who decided to further their education after they were married.

Who is to say that if she hadn't married him that she would have went to college or even finished highschool.

I've just one word for you Sparksy........DISHES !!!! Dishes need to be washed, and therefore she will have no time for holidays and school etc etc.
Please consider things like this before you go making broad sweeping statements. :rolleyes:
Oh dear !!!! What am I to do with you ??? WHAT ????? :D
Wom

sparks19
06-28-2007, 06:13 PM
I've just one word for you Sparksy........DISHES !!!! Dishes need to be washed, and therefore she will have no time for holidays and school etc etc.
Please consider things like this before you go making broad sweeping statements. :rolleyes:
Oh dear !!!! What am I to do with you ??? WHAT ????? :D
Wom

LOL well then she should make less dish intensive meals :D

wombat2u2004
06-28-2007, 06:36 PM
LOL well then she should make less dish intensive meals :D

Yeah....good idea. Take-away....that the trick....eh ???? :D
Wom

steel
08-19-2007, 01:47 PM
Its been almost 2 months since they got married.I wonder how the marriage is going.I just dont see them lasting a year cause shes still a adolesent 16 yr old girl no matter how mature she & her husband think she is.It was actually quite common in the 1800,s for young teen girls ( some as young as 13 ) to marry & have children for much older men.Especially in the wild wild west.I do hope the best for them though.

jackie
08-19-2007, 05:58 PM
legal age in new jersey is 16.the teen girl has known her coach since she was 14.the police cant prove they were having sex,etc ... so they cant do anything.in america the divorce rate is over 50% so hopefully this marriage works out.its 2007 not 1907.16 yr olds are not babies and many of them are quite mature.its their business what they do with their lives,not ours.i shall send the newlyweds a congradulations e-mail.the girl is a cutie as well.i wonder if she she has a twin sister..hmmmmmm maybe a summer trip to nj is in order.i have family near hackensack.

This makes me feel sick. She is a 16 year old GIRL, and I am shocked that you would make this statement.

Catty1
08-19-2007, 06:45 PM
UPDATE with pic
http://www.starnewsonline.com/article/20070816/NEWS/708160446/1004

Also from the article - it wasn't just the parents trying to stop this:

Wuchae resigned from his job as teacher and coach for Brunswick County Schools on June 18, the same day he married Windy. After also dealing with its own share of negative publicity, the county school system revealed it had given Wuchae a choice to resign or be fired after he disobeyed a directive to stay away from Windy.

http://wral.com/news/state/story/1710832/?d_full_comments=1&d_comments_page=2

What, besides the following, could the parents have done? I am interested in this because several posters have said the parents didn't do enough.

“We have tried everything. We have contacted every agency – the Oak Island police department, the sheriff’s department, the school system. We couldn’t get a temporary restraining order against him. The school board wasn’t going to help or wasn’t going to tell us anything,” Betty said. “This man was not going to stay away from our child and she wasn’t going to stay away from him.” Betty Hager, Wendy's mom

wombat2u2004
08-19-2007, 07:36 PM
What ??? They won't allow her to have her Baby Beanie collection ????
And her playstation to ?????
Now what is she supposed to do with her time ?????
Geez......nasty parents !!!!! :p
Wom