PDA

View Full Version : Shed much??? pics...

Glacier
06-22-2007, 01:15 PM
The Annual Husky shed has begun. Antare is getting brushed this weekend, whether he likes it or not!
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v38/Glacier1998/Dogs%202007/antaretable.jpg
This is what he looked like a week ago.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v38/Glacier1998/Dogs%202007/antareshed.jpg
This was last night!
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v38/Glacier1998/Dogs%202007/antarie.jpg
Such a handsome little dude, even when he's in full molt!

cassiesmom
06-22-2007, 01:23 PM
Oh, Antare, you are so handsome! I love your beautiful face. Glacier, could you please give Antare a pet for me during the brushing?

cyber-sibes
06-22-2007, 02:22 PM
Antare is such a handome guy, really gorgeous! I love his freckles :)
Ouuu, I can hardly keep my hands off him....I love pulling those tufts out... I think your arm is going to be tired after brushing out so much fur! And then, you get to do 23(?) more dogs!
Mine aren't nearly that bad this year.

Kfamr
06-22-2007, 02:36 PM
Oh my gosh! Seeing how much I brush Mufasa (daily, sometimes twice daily!) that would drive me insane. You'll have to show us some after pictures. ;)

Husky_mom
06-22-2007, 03:11 PM
weeeelll........ what a cutie you are Antare!!!

I too canīt help myself and HAVE to pull those tufts......they are like tempting me to do it and I canīt stop......:)

when you are done, and I KNOW youīll have a full size dog ball of hair..... would you mind keeping that "dog" and sending me Antare??.... youīll still have a full size duplicate.......;) hehe

cassiesmom
06-22-2007, 03:27 PM
Antare is such a handome guy, really gorgeous! I love his freckles :)
Ouuu, I can hardly keep my hands off him....I love pulling those tufts out... I think your arm is going to be tired after brushing out so much fur! And then, you get to do 23(?) more dogs!
Mine aren't nearly that bad this year.

I'll help. Just give me a brush. It will take me a long time because I have to give loads of hugs in between.
Edit to add: I'll bring Dr. Goodnow with me.

lute
06-22-2007, 03:41 PM
wow! He's gonna be neked! :eek:

I'll help brush em all! I loved brushing out all 30+ Sibes at my dog show mentor's house a couple years ago.

gini
06-22-2007, 03:47 PM
Oh, good gracious, what a beautiful dog! I would just be lovin on him all of the time!

Ginger's Mom
06-22-2007, 03:56 PM
Oh my, he really is molting. You know I love that boy, and even with all of that hair, he still has a movie star gorgeous face.

Canis-Lupess
06-22-2007, 03:59 PM
LOL, I want to brush him looking at those pics, haha. Our Mist used to get the clumps on her stifles but I used to groom her every day during moulting so they didn't have chance to form as much as Antares.

I'm still grooming our Jess daily and have been for about 2 months and getting massive clumps out each time and she's only just starting to finish and is looking a bit bare and puppyish. She's across her season so she's having a major moult. I can't wait until she's done because I'm sick of the hairs everywhere, lolol. It does make a change for her to moult at the correct time of year mind. She usually waits until autumn and so she's bare in the winter. :rolleyes:

If I'd have saved her hair, I'd have been able to knit about 20 sweaters out of it, haha.

My dogs always loved being brushed so grooming them daily was never a problem. I take it Antares isn't like that?

Glacier
06-22-2007, 04:06 PM
My dogs always loved being brushed so grooming them daily was never a problem. I take it Antares isn't like that?

Antare is extremely timid and has little use for humans. He would prefer that I just drop his food off and leave him alone the rest of the time. He is not aggressive at all, but he does actively shun physical contact with everyone, except other dogs. He adores other dogs. I have corner him or lure him into the porch in order to brush him. Believe it or not, he's actually come a very long way. He was essentially feral when I got him. His brother, Delta, still is.

Unless I have his harness in hand..he will put up with just about anything if it means he gets to pull. This time of year though, he knows the harness is a trap!

Freedom
06-22-2007, 04:36 PM
Antare, you love that scruffy guy look, huh? You are still a handsome guy! Let mom clean things up a bit.

gini
06-22-2007, 04:40 PM
Antare is extremely timid and has little use for humans. He would prefer that I just drop his food off and leave him alone the rest of the time. He is not aggressive at all, but he does actively shun physical contact with everyone, except other dogs. He adores other dogs. I have corner him or lure him into the porch in order to brush him. Believe it or not, he's actually come a very long way. He was essentially feral when I got him. His brother, Delta, still is.

Unless I have his harness in hand..he will put up with just about anything if it means he gets to pull. This time of year though, he knows the harness is a trap!

Every dog is different. My nephew's black lab is like that - it is more like "look lady - just throw the ball for me and knock off the huggy kissy stuff!"

Jadapit
06-22-2007, 04:42 PM
LOL! He looks so proud in those pictures. How long does it take to brush out a husky when they are shedding like that? Do you brush out all your fur kids? If so, that must take you months. :p

lizbud
06-22-2007, 04:44 PM
He's still a gorgeous fella, even with all the fuzz. :) Smokey sheds like
that & I have to take him outside for serious brushing. (rakeing) :D

p.s. I love to pull out the tufts too. It's addicting. :D

Canis-Lupess
06-22-2007, 06:00 PM
Ah, his current behaviour probably comes about from lack socialization with humans during the puppy period but still contact with other dogs. It is vital that pups have the human socialization period from about 7-14 weeks so that they learn how to bond with people. If they are left with their mother and siblings, they tend to not learn how to bond with humans and bond too closely to other dogs. From 0-7 weeks is when they learn how to be and bond with other dogs in the form of their mum and siblings.

How old was he when you acquired him? No doubt this is what happened to him being as you describe him as being almost feral when you got him.

Good luck ridding him of his clumps, lol.

Glacier
06-22-2007, 06:15 PM
How old was he when you acquired him? No doubt this is what happened to him being as you describe him as being almost feral when you got him.

Good luck ridding him of his clumps, lol.

Oh, I know why he's the way he is--it is because of a lack of socialization and a timid mother dog. Antare and Delta were born to a wanna-be musher who thought it would be easier to breed his own team. Yanno instead of answering any one of the dozen ads giving away/selling sled dogs that are in every edition of the local paper! :rolleyes: He bred one litter out of a timid female; decided this was way too much work. Found homes for all the dogs except Delta and Antare. He kept them until they were four, maybe five months old. Basically he dumped food in their pen a couple times a week and that was it. They went to shelter when a kennell opened up and stayed there until I took them, just shy of their first birthday.

Queen of Poop
06-22-2007, 08:18 PM
Oh, Oh, Oh (waving hand in the air)!!!

I have 3 different doggie brushes for each animals brushing preference. I will come help!!

My RB dog Sami hated being brushed and/or pet. But she was part Husky and required brushing. She let me know she'd had enough by closing her mouth over my arm. She never bit, just held on and gave the look of "enough" lady!

Sasha lives to be brushed. She's a pleasure to groom.

joycenalex
06-22-2007, 09:16 PM
so how do you brush an unwilling husky? i can and do, if needs be pin alex so he gets brush/nail trim ears cleaned. he's only 40# and a mommas' boy. princess peanut will let me brush, wipe ears and tolerates rear toe nail trims, she's 60#. and sweet duke lived to be brushed, he do little groans and grunts of pleasure as i brushed his silky golden fur. antare is a beauty and much bigger, so what do you use, and how long will he tolerate it, and do you put out the warm warm hair for birds' nests next spring?

cyber-sibes
06-22-2007, 09:28 PM
:D I see as I'm reading thru the posts that a whole lot of us are willing to go up to the Yukon & brush huskies! Think we should just go ahead & charter a plane? :p Tamara, how many sleeping bags will your little cabin accomodate? After all, Stewart's gone, you may as well have a few PTers over to lend a hand!! Woo-hooo, wouldn't that be a terrific PT get together? ;)

K9karen
06-22-2007, 11:21 PM
:eek: I will never ever complain about dog hair again! :rolleyes: What are we waitin' for? Charter that plane!! I love pulling tufts too!! Wonder how many blankets we can weave?

Kfamr
06-22-2007, 11:23 PM
If only Corinna was still here, I'd bet she would LOVE to have all of that Antare fur.

I'll bring my furminator... when will the plane be here to pick me up?

Queen of Poop
06-22-2007, 11:39 PM
:D I see as I'm reading thru the posts that a whole lot of us are willing to go up to the Yukon & brush huskies! Think we should just go ahead & charter a plane? :p Tamara, how many sleeping bags will your little cabin accomodate? After all, Stewart's gone, you may as well have a few PTers over to lend a hand!! Woo-hooo, wouldn't that be a terrific PT get together? ;)

Charter a plane. The perfect idea. I do all the charter flights for my company, so I have an in with the air charter company!!!

Glacier
06-23-2007, 01:17 PM
so how do you brush an unwilling husky? antare is a beauty and much bigger, so what do you use, and how long will he tolerate it, and do you put out the warm warm hair for birds' nests next spring?

I don't! The ones who are truly against the whole idea of brushing, I just leave alone. Bandit and Raven would both try to take my hand my hand off if I pushed the idea! Antare is so timid that once I catch him, he just submits. I can probably brush him for half an hour at a time. Then I have to let him go and try to recapture him to do the other side! Sometimes I just keep a brush with me when I'm outside and will do a few minutes on whoever will let me.

I use a rake with a double row of teeth. I have several in the same basic style with different teeth on them.

I used to collect the fur for a couple friends who spin. I sent some to Corinna once(I have a beautiful sweater she made me). I have a hat made from my dogs fur as well. This year I just let it blow away into the trees. I'm sure the birds have very cozy nests around my house!

Glacier
06-23-2007, 01:19 PM
:D I see as I'm reading thru the posts that a whole lot of us are willing to go up to the Yukon & brush huskies! Think we should just go ahead & charter a plane? :p Tamara, how many sleeping bags will your little cabin accomodate?

Well there are two spare beds already. 1700 square feet of floor space and a shop of almost equal size(it's heated and you can snuggle with Kayleigh out there!). I think we can fit in a few sleeping bags if you don't mind sharing with a few cats!

Do you guys scoop poop too? There's an awful lot of that to do too!

ramanth
06-23-2007, 01:35 PM
Oh my!! I'm glad Kia is only part husky. She clumps on her butt! ;) :D

Look forward to after photos. :D

Cinder & Smoke
06-23-2007, 01:52 PM
I used to collect the fur ...

This year I just let it blow away into the trees.
I'm sure the birds have very cozy nests around my house!

Reminds me of last Spring at a BigLake Park ...

The Three Amigos and I sat down at a picnic table by the lake shore ...
Cinder & Smokey jumped up for some "close attention" ...

http://petoftheday.com/i/our_smilies/eek.gif
"You Guys are fallin apart ... fur klumpz hangin out all over!"
I started <pullin klunpz> ... let the lake breeze float 'em away ...
Ran out of "loose stuff" on Klipp & Klopp; boosted the Bowser Boy up on the table ...
OMG!
Talk about The Shaggy Dawg! http://petoftheday.com/i/our_smilies/rolleyes.gif He looked like he'd "dodged the brush"
for the last 5 years! Started pullin with both handpaws ... Furr Flyin!

I had Bowz almost presentable, when I "felt" the EYES on the back of my neck ...
Turned around and http://petoftheday.com/i/our_smilies/eek.gif

There was a CLOUD of still-blowing Shepherd & Husky FurrFluff COVERING the ground
for at least 150-200 feet beyond our "hair salon" table!
We'd "Fluffed" at least three occupied picnic tables!

http://petoftheday.com/i/our_smilies/eek.gif
How do you just disappear with three Mutts?
We quickly hiked along the lake and circled WAY around the picnic area back to da Bus.

http://petoftheday.com/i/our_smilies/redface.gif
http://petoftheday.com/i/our_smilies/biggrin.gif

anna_66
06-24-2007, 07:53 AM
He's just beautiful!

I too canīt help myself and HAVE to pull those tufts......they are like tempting me to do it and I canīt stop......:)

Same here and Roxey HATES it...lol!

cassiesmom
06-24-2007, 08:35 PM
Well there are two spare beds already. 1700 square feet of floor space and a shop of almost equal size(it's heated and you can snuggle with Kayleigh out there!). I think we can fit in a few sleeping bags if you don't mind sharing with a few cats!

I don't mind sharing with the cats ONE BIT! I do litter pans and I also refill water bowls and wash food dishes. Yard maintenance, you'll have to tell me what and how you want it done. I'm low-maintenance, too ... wearing cat hair is par for the course for me.

Tollers-n-Dobes
06-24-2007, 09:00 PM
Great pictures! He's such a handsome boy, tufts and all! I bet he'll feel much better once all that extra fur is gone. :)

cassiesmom
06-25-2007, 01:06 PM
Glacier, did Antare get a brushing this weekend or did he end up keeping his distance? What will happen to the other dogs' coats that you just let alone, will they shed their heavy fur on their own? Could you give everybody (well, anyone who's willing) a pet and/or a hug for me. What do you hear from Glacier Dad, how is camp going?
*pets for Glacier's beloved dogs and cats

Glacier
06-25-2007, 05:45 PM
Glacier, did Antare get a brushing this weekend or did he end up keeping his distance? What will happen to the other dogs' coats that you just let alone, will they shed their heavy fur on their own? What do you hear from Glacier Dad, how is camp going?

I got one side done! I have to catch him facing the other way now! The only other one who won't let me touch him is Sundin. He will just shed his coat on his own. Delta is just as timid, but I don't have much trouble catching him(in the yard anyway--we all know how much trouble it is if he gets out of the yard!). Delta actually seems to enjoy being brushed. He has an amazing coat!

Raven and Bandit won't let me brush them despite not having a shy bone in their bodies. Raven just hates it for no apparent reason. Bandit was hit with a brush in his previous home. Bandit has never bitten me, but I have little doubt that he would if I pushed the issue. I pluck them when I pet them as much as they will allow and the rest they blow off on their own.

I don't hear much from camp. Communication is hit and miss. Somedays the satelitte phone works, somedays not at all. I think Stuart will be home on July 12 for a few days.

cassiesmom
06-25-2007, 05:49 PM
Bandit was hit with a brush in his previous home.

That totally stinks. (stronger expletive avoided - this is a family board!) Bandit, please let your mum pet you so she can help you with your heavy winter coat. *more pets for Glacier's beloved dogs and cats

Twisterdog
06-26-2007, 10:37 PM
My sister sympathises with you, I'm sure. Although she has far fewer Sibes than you do ... seven of the little hairy beasties in her house is quite a mess this time of the year!

I only have one coat-blower, Keito ... and he's getting a bath and brush this weekend, too. I'm tired of picking clumps!

jesse_3
06-26-2007, 11:50 PM
HUSKIES SHED!?!?! NEVER!!!!:p:D;)

Oh! Me! I volunteer! When does the plain leave? I need to get my stuff packed!!