PDA

View Full Version : Land of the Midnight Sun..pics...

Glacier
06-22-2007, 11:04 AM
Since I was still up anyway, I took some Solstice pics last night. These were all taken at midnight in my yard without a flash and are unedited except for resizing.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v38/Glacier1998/scenery07/oakiesolstice.jpg
Heyoka being a doofus in the trees. Doofus is what he does best! This is my front yard.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v38/Glacier1998/scenery07/shopsolstice.jpg
The half stained shop. That was as far as Stuart got before he had to go back to camp.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v38/Glacier1998/scenery07/drivewaysolstice.jpg
My driveway...shows some of the extensive "Fort Knox" husky proof fencing too!
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v38/Glacier1998/scenery07/sunsetsolstice.jpg
As close as we get to a sunset this time of year. Officially we get 19 hours of true daylight and 5 of "civil twilight". It is rarely dark enough in the house to require flipping a light on and never dim enought to need a flashlight or the yardlights on outside.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v38/Glacier1998/scenery07/solsticehouse.jpg
My little shack. There's just no way to get a picture of it without a few dogs in the frame!

Cinder & Smoke
06-22-2007, 11:44 AM
"Home, Sweet Home!" :)

Gotta Love It! ;)

MID-nite, huh?
Iffin you say so!
;)

Queen of Poop
06-22-2007, 12:35 PM
Lovely photos. I don't know how any of you manage to sleep.

Bad enough here in Calgary where it gets dark at 11 and is light again by 4 am right now.

Riptide
06-22-2007, 12:56 PM
That is so cool!! I've never seen anything like that before! Thanks for posting these! :D

slleipnir
06-22-2007, 01:45 PM
That's pretty cool...It would be weird to see though lol

Husky_mom
06-22-2007, 01:50 PM
midnight!!...... coool!!.... i would love to see that someday!!

adn dogs in the frame, thatīs just the sweetest extra in every pic.... and the more the merrier :D

Aspen and Misty
06-22-2007, 01:52 PM
It's wonderful isn't it? I'm enjoying the long days on summer here in Alaska! We went into Canada yesterday and I thought of you. Where do you live again? We will be heading into Whitehorse sometime soon.

Ash

Glacier
06-22-2007, 01:55 PM
It's wonderful isn't it? I'm enjoying the long days on summer here in Alaska! We went into Canada yesterday and I thought of you. Where do you live again? We will be heading into Whitehorse sometime soon.

Ash

Just south of Whitehorse(techinically within the city limits, but the limits are HUGE). You come in on the other side of town when driving in from Haines.

cassiesmom
06-22-2007, 02:09 PM
I was in Russia during the White Nights. It never got truly dark the whole time I was there. The translator working with my group said that their winter days are extremely short, but people get used to it and learn to make the most of the long summer days. I'm with huskymom, dogs in every frame works for me. :D

Freedom
06-22-2007, 02:14 PM
I had little idea, thanks for the education!

elizabethann
06-22-2007, 02:33 PM
Cool beans. And to think I was excited that it was just getting dark at 8:30pm last night. :D

chocolatepuppy
06-22-2007, 08:27 PM
That is so amazing to me. I don't know if I could adjust to all daylight or all darkness.

captain
06-22-2007, 09:08 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v38/Glacier1998/scenery07/solsticehouse.jpg
My little shack. There's just no way to get a picture of it without a few dogs in the frame!

And if there were no dogs in the frame, I would be asking where they were :D

WOW - so much light. Is it hard to sleep? You have not always lived up there have you? You were used to NIGHT in summer, weren't you?

Edwina's Secretary
06-22-2007, 09:14 PM
You have me wondering Captain....there must be the same (but opposite time) conditions somewhere at your end of the world as well?

Does it occur in Australia? If not...how far south do you have to go to experience midnight sun?

captain
06-22-2007, 09:45 PM
You have me wondering Captain....there must be the same (but opposite time) conditions somewhere at your end of the world as well?

Does it occur in Australia? If not...how far south do you have to go to experience midnight sun?

You have to go to Antartica to experience that down here in the Southern Hemisphere, but we have daylight saving here. So between October - March we have one hour extra of light, and April - September we have one hour less as we turn the clocks back or forward.
Of course, if you make a mistake and turn the clock backward instead of forward, you end up being 2 hours late for work!!!

Thanks for asking :D

Glacier
06-23-2007, 01:59 AM
WOW - so much light. Is it hard to sleep? You have not always lived up there have you? You were used to NIGHT in summer, weren't you?

Black out blinds in the bedroom--or before I could afford those, tinfoil over the windows! A very classy, popular look around here. It's harder to remember to go to bed than it is to get to sleep! I've been known to decide to go paddling or for a walk at very odd hours!

BC_MoM
06-23-2007, 02:10 AM
You must have a low electricity bill! :D

cloverfdx
06-23-2007, 02:20 AM
That is amazing Tamara :eek:. It is currently 5.40PM and just starting to get dark here :D.

karyn674
06-23-2007, 02:33 AM
Two days ago (21st June) was the longest day of summer, it became dark at about 9pm.

When I was in Germany in June it used to get dark at about 11 and that was so strange for me. Its like you don't feel like going to sleep cos it feels like its still very early!

Imagine if I lived in North canada.......I'll get so exauseted!!!

Laura's Babies
06-23-2007, 08:43 AM
We have inside closeable shutters on the boat that we can close and it makes it completely dark in the bedrooms because all hours day and nigh, the ones off watch are sleeping. That is what I would have to have there where you live but I think I would love it as I am a night person and really don't have any energy until after 5pm. I have been known to do my houseleeping after dark and sit up sewing all night.

ramanth
06-24-2007, 06:19 PM
Very neat! :D

Glacier
06-24-2007, 06:26 PM
You must have a low electricity bill! :D

LOL, you'd think so, wouldn't you!? But the price of electricity is stupid up here and I run five freezers--one for human food and four for the dogs' food! The bill is actually lower in the winter when I can unplug all the freezers!

Lobodeb
06-24-2007, 06:31 PM
As always, Tamara, your photos are breathtaking!

anna_66
06-25-2007, 09:50 AM
The bill is actually lower in the winter when I can unplug all the freezers!
I find that amazing!

I love your pictures:D

I had a dream last night I was coming to visit you Tamara...oooohhh it was so cold :p

Randi
06-25-2007, 10:04 AM
Love your pictures! :) It takes forever to get dark here too, about 9PM it's getting a bit darker, but it doesn't get REAL dark during the night. I'd prefer to live a place where it goes from light to dark in half an hour.

In Spain it went from light to pitch black in about 10 - 15 min.

cyber-sibes
06-25-2007, 11:20 AM
Did it take you very long to adjust to the seasonal changes? Do you have to force yurself to go tobed anyway?
How long are you without sun in the winter? It must be rough when the sun doesn't shine at all.

Kirsten
06-25-2007, 02:32 PM
Wow, hard to believe those were taken at midnight! Some days here are darker than your nights! LOL

It's very special!

Kirsten

boris91
06-25-2007, 02:38 PM
how do ya sleep? i would be up all night if i t were that light here me and my brother would be out all night walking and playing with the ferrets LOL amazing!

Glacier
06-25-2007, 04:59 PM
Did it take you very long to adjust to the seasonal changes? Do you have to force yurself to go tobed anyway?
How long are you without sun in the winter? It must be rough when the sun doesn't shine at all.

The first winter up here almost killed me. I would never advise anyone to move here in January! That was a bad idea! I use a special lamp all winter that mimics sunlight. I have sleep issues and even in the winter I have to force myself to go to bed. We have blackout blinds in the bedroom so it is quite dim in there--except when Boots plays with the blinds and makes them roll back up. He thinks that's great fun.

We don't get total darkness in the winter. You have to go a bit farther north for that. We get about four hours of light in the shortest days. The sun doesn't get very high though and it's often more like late afternoon light. I rarely need sunglasses in the winter months, until March anyway.

Killearn Kitties
06-25-2007, 05:41 PM
Good grief! It doesn't become completely dark here in midsummer, in that there is still a light in the sky, but by midnight you would not be able to read by it anymore. The light in these pictures is amazing.

jennielynn1970
06-25-2007, 05:45 PM
I had lived in Sweden, and it would only get kind of purple-ish around 2am in the summer, that was it. It never got completely dark, and I loved it!! Winter, now that sucked, big time! We'd get maybe 2-4hrs of semi-light, and it was the most depressing thing in the world. I lived outside of Stockholm, so it wasn't even that far up in Sweden, just like 1/3 of the way up from the bottom. Can't even imagine it all the way up where the Lapps live!

Glacier
06-25-2007, 05:54 PM
I lived outside of Stockholm, so it wasn't even that far up in Sweden, just like 1/3 of the way up from the bottom. Can't even imagine it all the way up where the Lapps live!

Where I live is just a tiny bit higher than Stockholm in latitude so it's probably very similar light conditions.

Suki Wingy
06-25-2007, 07:17 PM
that is awsome!

Randi
06-26-2007, 11:35 AM
Here's a good link to latitudes and longitudes in different cities around the world, I'm on 55°43?N 12°34?E. Seems we're almost on the same latitude, Karen. (KK)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_cities_by_latitude