PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions for...

Hellow
06-21-2007, 08:14 PM
...making money because as most of you already know i am only 13 and it would be hard for me to make money. I could do so many un-personal stuff with it like get my dog up to date on shots, buy my dog some new toys because she only has two, help pay for bills, and i could go on and on. PLUS save money for when i need to take my dog to the vet during emergences. I am out for summer so take that into consideration.

Kfamr
06-21-2007, 08:22 PM
See if any of your neighbors need the following, especially any elderly neighbors..

Wash cars
Mow lawns
Walk dogs

Hellow
06-21-2007, 08:41 PM
See if any of your neighbors need the following, especially any elderly neighbors..

Wash cars
Mow lawns
Walk dogs

Well, i live in a duplex, so does everyone else in my 4 house neighborhood. The lawns are already mowed by a hired neighborhood specilest, washing cars would run up the water bill, and my neighbor, who is also my friend, is the only person that has dogs.

catnapper
06-21-2007, 09:15 PM
Babysitting? Housesitting? If I count right, thats 8 homes, someone's bound to be on vacation or have a kid who needs babysitting.

How about a newspaper route?

k9krazee
06-21-2007, 09:19 PM
How about a newspaper route?

Fantastic idea ;)

I had a paper route when I was younger, it was only a one-day-a-week thing but it was great for an extra $20 or so.

Hellow
06-21-2007, 09:24 PM
I only know that these people that live to the left of our building have a small child but one person is always there. And, no one here orders newspapers so there is no route to here.

buttercup132
06-21-2007, 09:27 PM
For someone looking for a job your really putting down everyone's ideas..Ever though about other naighbourhoods?
Maybe put up signs around offering help.

Hellow
06-21-2007, 09:31 PM
I may put up signs around our neighborhood but other neighborhoods? My mom doesnt even like me going close to the road. But she is considering the newspaper route.

Karen
06-21-2007, 09:35 PM
Doing chores for neighbors, or even for others that aren't your direct neighbors, but are people your family knows ... Often elderly folks can use help with simple household chores like cleaning, taking trash out, etc.

Hellow
06-21-2007, 09:38 PM
Well, i dont have any elderly people in my neighborhood, and the family that has kids is kind of wierd.

Catty1
06-21-2007, 11:15 PM
You can still wash cars...it's up to the people who own them to worry about their water bill.

A paper route would be cool. Check it out!

joycenalex
06-22-2007, 09:01 PM
reggie what about putting an announcement in your churchs' bulletin that you are available to do errands, dog sit, baby sit, iron, cut grass, pull weeds, can you sew? doing small repairs like fixing buttons or minor mending is a help. at the vet you go to maybe a sign saying that a responsible dog loving kid will walk your dog or pick up the dog waste (a local company here does that $10/week for one dog, $15 for 2, once a week, you can use plastic bags from the grocery store so your start up costs are low. if i could find a local kid to walk my dogs i'd be thrilled. is there a seniors apartment complex nearby? sometimes the seniors in my moms' place need a few things picked up at the store or dropped off at the library. hope this helps

Catty1
06-22-2007, 10:56 PM
There's an idea, Reggie - put an announcement out in a bulletin, and let the people come find you!

Is there anything you could do at your vet's office that might pay you a bit also? Or at a pet store?

At a pet store, you might be allowed to restock shelves or something. Not exciting - but if you are 13, that might be one job you could legally be hired for.

Good luck! :)

Freedom
06-23-2007, 07:30 AM
I had to smile at the paper route idea. Both my brother and I had routes for a few years and did quite well. Now, though, all the delivery is done by adults with cars. None of the routes like I grew up with. Sigh. They report in at 3 AM, fill the trunk and rear seats with papers, and must be done by 6 AM. Geesh!

Reggie, if someone goes on vacation, maybe they will need a person to go in and water their house plants once or twice while they are away?

And if there is housing for the elderly near by, there should be plenty of things for you there, as mentioned by other posts.

Hellow
06-23-2007, 03:25 PM
There's an idea, Reggie - put an announcement out in a bulletin, and let the people come find you!

Is there anything you could do at your vet's office that might pay you a bit also? Or at a pet store?

At a pet store, you might be allowed to restock shelves or something. Not exciting - but if you are 13, that might be one job you could legally be hired for.

Good luck! :)

Well, the reason why i want to do things around my neighborhood is because my mom is seizure prone and cant drive because of it. I think that there is a pet store on GA 400 north and i might be able to do stuff around our two local vets offices. All of this depends on if my dad will be able to take me thoes places because my dad has to be at work at 9:00 latest and my mom cant drive. BUT i will ask him about them. Also, the reason why i am in such a finantial situation is because my dad gets paid $10 an hour working at a car lot. He is trying to start a sign business but is not having much luck. so, weekly, he has about $500 to work with. He has to pay a water bill, electrical bill, telephone bill, insurance bill, and $800 rent PLUS anything else that comes up like vet bills AND groceries to feed ourselvs and my dog and gerbil. So, for everyone who has criticized me for not being able to buy a water bottel for my gerbil or not being able to take my dog to the vet you probably
saw why.

sweetpatata6
06-23-2007, 03:47 PM
...making money because as most of you already know i am only 13 and it would be hard for me to make money. I could do so many un-personal stuff with it like get my dog up to date on shots, buy my dog some new toys because she only has two, help pay for bills, and i could go on and on. PLUS save money for when i need to take my dog to the vet during emergences. I am out for summer so take that into consideration.

I get like all of my money from petsitting and babysitting

joycenalex
06-23-2007, 03:47 PM
reggie, i do remember what it was like to depend on my mom for rides when i was in junior high and high school to go for a job. and now knowing why your mom likes you close to home makes sense. keep your eyes open, tell the adults in your church/school/dads and moms friends that you're looking and something will turn up, it might take awhile, but telling people you want to work will make you stand out. kind regards, joyce

Hellow
06-23-2007, 03:49 PM
Thanks, i will try those.

buttercup132
06-23-2007, 05:21 PM
Since your doing this to pay for vet bills and stuff why not volunteer at the vet cleaning out cages and stuff since your 13 and not many people can pay you but they can maybe exchange your working for them in free check ups and shots or something.

sweetpatata6
06-23-2007, 05:24 PM
Since your doing this to pay for vet bills and stuff why not volunteer at the vet cleaning out cages and stuff since your 13 and not many people can pay you but they can maybe exchange your working for them in free check ups and shots or something.

That's a good idea. Mabey you should call them when they're open and find out.

Hellow
06-23-2007, 08:52 PM
thanks, i will try that too, especially since i have debt from our last vet visit :rolleyes:

moosmom
06-24-2007, 11:45 AM
Call your local town town clerk's office. See if she knows any programs for kids your age. You could read to seniors who are blind or have trouble seeing. You could also be a surrogate grandkid for the day. Go visit the veterans at the local VA Hospital. The stories they have will blow your mind!!

If you have a pet, you might want to think about pet therapy. I got such joy out of watching the smiles on people's faces when they saw MooShoo. People LOVE animals and helps their whole outlook.

Good luck! I'm sure you'll find your niche'. Please keep us posted.

Catty1
06-24-2007, 03:57 PM
Also - I think LH mentioned it in your driver thread - SO many people will call you for basic help/instruction with their computers! If you can do minor "repairs" like defrags, disk cleanup - so many people do not maintain their systems - you would have some money! You don't want to over charge because you are "new" - but ask your folks what they would suggest. If you charge too little, that's not good either.

Make a list of what computer services you can provide. You might want to price them individually, or charge by the hour.

I think you'd be great at this!

(And if you get stuck, you can always ask here! ;) )

Whadya think?

Hellow
06-24-2007, 05:25 PM
I like the ideas about the volunteering at the vets office, pet therapy, and computer person. I can also do "actual" repairs on a computer like repairing a malrunctioning device or upgrading memory.