PDA

View Full Version : Memory Card Reader help

shais_mom
06-21-2007, 03:49 AM
I have 2 different brands of cameras now. One is a Nikon and the other is Canon. I have contemplating on getting a memory card reader. They both take the same kind of card. My computer is an older model and doesn't have it on the front of it like some of the newer ones.
I have heard that it u/l pics faster. And I've heard there is no difference.
Anyone have one? Use one?
thoughts?

BitsyNaceyDog
06-21-2007, 06:06 AM
We never use our card reader any more. The only thing we ever used it for was to upload videos off the camera. Our old computer wouldn't upload videos straight from the camera.

Both our card reader and camera use USB and I think they both upload at about the same speed. If you're looking for something a little faster you may want to look for a card reader that uses firewire rather than USB.

catnapper
06-21-2007, 06:57 AM
Do you have an "other" option?

I think its a matter of how quickly your older computer can process theinfo. Its only faster on the new model computers because they can process everything that much faster.

Downloading with my Nikon took forever using the USB. Downloading with my Canon's USB is lightening fast. Its so fast on the Canon that the card reader thingie is actually a lot slower because its attached to my computer and takes a few seconds to wake up from its sleep ;) The card reader WAS faster with my Nikon. I think its all a matter of your computer speed, and the speed in which your camera downloads.

shais_mom
06-21-2007, 06:58 AM
that uses firewire rather than USB.
a what??!?!
seriously
I really have no idea what a firewire is!

shais_mom
06-21-2007, 07:13 AM
well I don't think I can edit the poll. I knew I was forgetting something!
I really don't think that uploading from my camera - canon is all that slow. I just am trying to get away the fact that I have to keep plugging each in USB cord.
:o
My new Nikon is 7.1 MP - and I "THINK" I have it on the highest setting. I've checked the book and it says that the mode I have it on is reccommended for high quality prints with the one gig card I'll get like 3000 pics! :eek: that just doesn't sound right to me. But that is what it says! B/c with my Canon I "only" got 300 on the S2 @ highest MP. I uploaded about 60 pics the other nite from my canon and u/l it to the computer took about 2-3 minutes. Uploading those 60 images to imagestation took like 45 minutes.
I plugged in the Nikon @ the highest setting - 120 pics were u/l to my computer took no kidding less than 2 minutes. Uploading them to imagestation took less than 10 min. :eek: Which is what makes me think that I have it on the wrong setting but they LOOK fine.

http://www.imagestation.com/album/pictures.html?id=2090737848&code=28551160&mode=invite&DCMP=isc-email-AlbumInvite

Blue_Frog
06-21-2007, 07:45 AM
I would get a card reader for a couple reasons --

1. you dont have to keep go behind the computer to switch between cables. I dont think the Nikon and Canon have the same sized ports, but I could be wrong

2. prevents the bending of the pins plugging in the cable at the camera end -- my mom did this to hers, so now has no other option than to use the card reader i bought her.

3. Doesn't cause a drain on your cameras battery. Not a huge deal i know, but nothing sucks more than downloading like a thousand pics, and having the battery die.

Best Buy has one for about $20 (http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=6781976&st=card+reader&type=product&id=1089890487405) -- but i'm sure you could find one for around the same price at any electronics dealer :)

shais_mom
06-21-2007, 07:59 AM
thanks! :)
Our Walmart didn't have what I was looking for so that's probably where I'll head this weekend.

Laura's Babies
06-21-2007, 08:29 AM
I have a card reader and I love it. It was such a drain on the camera batteries to load them from the camera and now my batteries last so much longer! I got a Lexar at Wal Mart and I use it to load my MP# player and my pictures. Seems just as fast as doing it directly to me, but saves my batteries.

Hellow
06-21-2007, 09:02 AM
Here is a topic about firewire that also contains pictures:http://www.answers.com/topic/firewire?cat=technology

shais_mom
06-21-2007, 09:03 AM
Here is a topic about firewire that also contains pictures:http://www.clicksmilies.com/s1106/lachen/laughing-smiley-014.gif
thanks but your link doesn't work at all

Hellow
06-21-2007, 09:07 AM
Try this one: http://www.answers.com/topic/firewire?cat=technology

4 Dog Mother
06-21-2007, 09:24 AM
Staci,

I have always used a card reader. My USB port is on the back like someone said and it is just easier to plug it into the card reader and keep it there so I can download anytime. And when I went from my old Nikon to my new Nikon and now Canon, the size of the card changed so again it was much easier than switching out camera cords. I love mine and find it very easy and efficeint to use.

sirrahbed
06-21-2007, 09:53 AM
I am also thinking about getting a reader because like BlueFrog said, the pins at the USB plug on the camera can bend and I have ruined one camera this way. I did not know that batteries drained faster but maybe that explains my frequent battery replacing!! Faster uploading would be a plus if that really happens but I think that depends on the computer processor.

Staci - Imagestation can be so s l o w at times! Yet sometimes my pictures upload like lightening :)

Kfamr
06-21-2007, 10:03 AM
If you can, I would totally go with a card reader. It's safer for the camera.

Edwina's Secretary
06-21-2007, 10:07 AM
I had one but gave it away....because my new printer has a reader built into it. :D :D

Without a reader of some sort...I would be stretched out on the floor...trying to climb behind my tower with a flashlight to find the right plug...

and yes...I thought it a significant drain on my batteries!

Jessika
06-21-2007, 10:37 AM
well I don't think I can edit the poll. I knew I was forgetting something!
I really don't think that uploading from my camera - canon is all that slow. I just am trying to get away the fact that I have to keep plugging each in USB cord.
I use the USB cord to upload images from my camera to my computer. I used to use a card reader, but it was ssllllooowwwww. Uploading from the cameras is SO much faster than the card reader. I have Canons, too, and they are not slow at all uploading to the comp :)

And the only plugging in you would have to do, if you left a USB cord plugged in the whole time, is plug it into your camera. You would already have to do this even if you bought a card reader, keep the card reader (which would be USB hopefully) plugged in at all times and take the card out of the camera and plug it into the card reader. More steps, IMO. Most newer cameras use just a regular USB cord to connect to the computer, so you SHOULDN'T have to swap out camera cords each time. If you do, then maybe a card reader would be a better choice. But if you don't, and the cords are universal, I would suggest just sticking to using the camera to upload pics.

Anyway if there IS a speed difference, you would have to buy a more expensive card reader to notice it, and even then it just wouldn't be worth the money IMO.

shais_mom
06-21-2007, 02:45 PM
well I do have to switch the cords when I upload them b/c they are different ends. - which is understandable since they are two different kinds of cameras. But even when I had 2 fuji's I had to keep them both plugged in at all times b/c they were different. But my sister's old Canon and my new Canon fit the same cord. Go figure!!
Thanks for all the replies - I'm finding it interesting in hearing what everyone uses.

anna_66
06-21-2007, 04:09 PM
Staci,
I have a Lexar memory card reader (http://www.steves-digicams.com/2003_reviews/lexar_mcr-usb2.html) and love it. My S1 takes compact flash so if I want to upload pictures to my laptop I use it since it doesn't have a port for that.

4 Dog Mother
06-21-2007, 08:39 PM
That's the one I have too, Staci and I love it! And I think I bought it at WalMart.

Jessika
06-21-2007, 11:16 PM
well I do have to switch the cords when I upload them b/c they are different ends. - which is understandable since they are too different kinds of cameras. But even when I had 2 fuji's I had to keep them both plugged in at all times b/c they were different. But my sister's old Canon and my new Canon fit the same cord. Go figure!!
Thanks for all the replies - I'm finding it interesting in hearing what everyone uses.
See I think they should all be universal. I know my Canons just use a regular 'ol USB cord, one I use for any USB device I own (MP3 players, cell phones, modem, PDA, it works with them all). I think other camera brands need to step up to the plate and get with the program... cause I mean, seriously, in most households nowdays more than one brand of camera (in some cases) are owned, and the hassle that you have... is dumb, they should make it just a little easier. Then again... anything to make people keep buying the same brand.... lol

shais_mom
06-21-2007, 11:19 PM
See I think they should all be universal. I know my Canons just use a regular 'ol USB cord, one I use for any USB device I own (MP3 players, cell phones, modem, PDA, it works with them all). I think other camera brands need to step up to the plate and get with the program... cause I mean, seriously, in most households nowdays more than one brand of camera (in some cases) are owned, and the hassle that you have... is dumb, they should make it just a little easier. Then again... anything to make people keep buying the same brand.... lol
you are very much right -
but since when did big companies care about what is easier on the consumer! ;) :o :eek: :o :D :o :p

Jessika
06-21-2007, 11:24 PM
you are very much right -
but since when did big companies care about what is easier on the consumer! ;) :o :eek: :o :D :o :p
Only when it puts a little $$$ into their own pocket do they care, lol ;)