PDA

View Full Version : MAC help needed - printer printing HUGE LETTERS

Catty1
06-20-2007, 11:29 PM
I have a PC. My mom has an older iMAC, G3, OS9.

She went to print something tonight (she hardly ever prints anything) and found that a single page was going to take over 100 pages because the FONT SIZE ON THE PAPER WAS REALLY REALLY HUGE.

I need directions as to where to go in the Mac to fix this. Chooser - and click on the printer chosen?

I want to help mom out with this, but am not a Mac expert. I do follow directions. Usually. :p

Thanks!

Hellow
06-20-2007, 11:33 PM
Im not a mac whiz either, but usually you select the text, look up at the top of the page and look for the font size, and change it to the appropriate level. The font size is listed in that top toolbar on the page.

Karen
06-20-2007, 11:38 PM
From what program is she printing?

Catty1
06-20-2007, 11:38 PM
Ok - the thing is, she was trying to print out an email. But perhaps putting it on a document (Appleworks, not Word) would be the best.

The email font might be set for really small appearance, but actually be set huge, if that makes any sense.

I can look into it tomorrow.

Thanks!

Other thoughts welcome...

Hellow
06-20-2007, 11:41 PM
Put it on AppleWorks then adjust the font size.

Catty1
06-20-2007, 11:59 PM
Karen - I think her email client is Outlook Express - but don't quote me!

Karen
06-21-2007, 12:05 AM
Have her check both her font size, and Page Set-up. Make sure page set-up is set at 100% and for the correct printer and paper size.

Catty1
06-21-2007, 12:08 AM
OK. Page setup should be easy enough to find in the email client and her word program.

Thanks again! :)

Karen
06-21-2007, 12:10 AM
You're welcome. Any future Mac problems, feel free to PM me, I have worked on Macs since their introduction.

Hellow
06-21-2007, 12:14 AM
Yeah, i only know how to work the computers at school, no configuration knowledge of any kind.

jennielynn1970
06-21-2007, 12:38 AM
I've owned Macs for as long as they've been around. Normally if you are having issues with font size in printing, check the page setup like Karen said. It may be set up to print many times larger. I don't use outlook express or internet explorer on my mac either, but if your mom is using OS9, she might not have too much of a choice. Personally I use Firefox for my internet browser and I use the Mail application (just called Mail) on my laptop. Thunderbird is good for email as well, and it might be an option for OS9. Safari is another decent browser as well, and was made by Apple as the default browser.

One of the teachers at school has a problem with her email every now and then where it prints all the letters of the email backwards!! It will still be all set up correctly on the page (left justified), but the letters are all backwards! It's bizarre! She still hasn't figured that one out!

Catty1
06-21-2007, 12:52 AM
I would LOVE to put a proper browser in there, but would have to get it on CD. She has dial-up...just wants to use it for email and checking her bank account... :rolleyes:

jennielynn1970
06-21-2007, 01:03 AM
Hrm... most of the browsers, like Safari and Firefox are free, so I don't know about buying them on CD. I could burn them to disc for you if you want?? I'll download the OS9 version here at home (I have broadband), and then burn to disk and send it to you. That would be easy enough. I could also see what other cds I have around here from my old mac that used OS9.

My mac now is the kind that can run cross platform, starting up in either Mac or PC, but I actually hated using PC, so I saved everything to an external drive and reformatted the hard drive to be all Mac. LOL! I just don't find PC to be very user friendly. And when I tried to set up the PC side to listen to music, it wouldn't recognize the internal speakers, and I just got really ticked off trying to figure it all out. So, out went the PC Bootcamp part, and I made it all Mac. :o

jennielynn1970
06-21-2007, 01:04 AM
Is there enough memory for her to upgrade to OSX??

Hellow
06-21-2007, 09:10 AM
i could write you a mac copy of firefox onto a cd and mail it to you, i just dont know if a pc written cd is compatible with a mac.

columbine
06-21-2007, 09:31 AM
Is there enough memory for her to upgrade to OSX??It's not just amount of memory - OS X is a totally different system (Linux in Mac's clothing) that actually requires different chips.

One thing you can try is click the Preview box in the Print frame (if there is one).

Some older printers needed to have the fonts loaded onto them before they'd print properly, but I don't remember much more than that.

Sorry I can't be more help!

Love, Columbine

Hellow
06-21-2007, 09:36 AM
Actually, i COULD upgrade my 4 year old computer with 128mg of memory and a 1.2GH Celeron processor and intergrated graphicks to Windows Vista, but it would be impratical.