PDA

View Full Version : No Pro Choice License Plates in Florida

dukedogsmom
06-20-2007, 06:39 PM
I've got to renew my car tag soon and I thought I'd get a pro choice one. Imagine my surprise (sarcasm) when I learned there aren't any. Though there's plenty of family oriented ones (keep kids drug free, family first, kids deserve justice, invest in children), including choose life (http://www3.hsmv.state.fl.us/Intranet/dmv/specialtytags/a.cfm?id=61) See why I'm angry?! If it were the other way around, there'd probably be riots (more sarcasm) If they've got one side available, they should have the other, also. There's an online petition and I think it's in the works but it shouldn't have to be this way :mad:

Pam
06-20-2007, 06:44 PM
Yes it seems there are two views on most every issue. Personally if I lived in Florida my car would be proudly supporting a Choose Life Plate!

CathyBogart
06-20-2007, 07:02 PM
That's absolutely ridiculous! If one side can show their colors, the other side should be able to as well.

(Side note - I'm now going to look for a pro-choice plate next time I have to renew, I'm sure there's one in CA)

IRescue452
06-20-2007, 09:39 PM
I agree, both sides should be available. Or, neither side at all because we don't need more road distractions. If I saw a plate with some sort of hateful message about gay marriage, or about Native Americans, or women in the work place, it sure would get my mind off the road and thinking about rear ending the jerk.

moosmom
06-20-2007, 10:10 PM
I prefer the "Caring for Pets" plate. They have them in Connecticut and a portion of the proceeds are donated to charity.

Marigold2
06-20-2007, 10:28 PM
I am not sure what they have here in Ohio. I like the idea of a pet lovers or pet rescue plate. I have seen bumper stickers that say "keep your rosery off my overies". I have also seen pro-choice ones. I feel a person should be able to put whatever they want on their car as long as it is not racial or hurtful to another. Being pro-choice I don't have a problem with a woman having an abortion. It's not against MY religon and it's not my body or my life, it's the womans so she has to make the decision, I have NO right to make it for her. I also don't think abortion is cruel to a group of cells that could, or might form into a baby. Sometimes I think abortion is a blessing when I see some of these 13 year olds having babies and then throwing them out of a window. Abortion seems a lot kinder in many many instances.

I think the funniest bumper sticker I ever saw said
HUMPTY DUMPTY WAS PUSHED.
I had to pull off the road I was laughing so hard, don't know why that struck me as funny but I was howling and tears were coming down my face.

crow_noir
06-20-2007, 11:54 PM
My thoughts exactly!!!

That's absolutely ridiculous! If one side can show their colors, the other side should be able to as well.

crow_noir
06-21-2007, 12:05 AM
I forget if it state level (here in MI) or federal level, but any organization not against abortion can not receive any government funding. The law was passed like three years ago. Since license plates are a state thing and the funding goes through the state government... .

Yeah, we also here in MI only have the Pro Life option of the fence. It's some cutesy thing with stick figure children on it. (Hmmm... i just looked at the list and we have a new Children's one. http://www.michigan.gov/sos/0,1607,7-127-1585_1595_9026-23623--,00.html I didn't find the other one up there any more.)

I've got to renew my car tag soon and I thought I'd get a pro choice one. Imagine my surprise (sarcasm) when I learned there aren't any. Though there's plenty of family oriented ones (keep kids drug free, family first, kids deserve justice, invest in children), including choose life (http://www3.hsmv.state.fl.us/Intranet/dmv/specialtytags/a.cfm?id=61) See why I'm angry?! If it were the other way around, there'd probably be riots (more sarcasm) If they've got one side available, they should have the other, also. There's an online petition and I think it's in the works but it shouldn't have to be this way

dukedogsmom
06-21-2007, 08:18 AM
Yes it seems there are two views on most every issue. Personally if I lived in Florida my car would be proudly supporting a Choose Life Plate!
And that's your choice. Opposing views should have the same choice. I would proudly have a pro choice one. It's not right to force one belief on everyone.

I would get the animal one but I don't like the way it looks. Too cartoonish. I have a state wildflower one right now.

JenBKR
06-21-2007, 08:20 AM
I don't think we have those here. Maybe I just never noticed, but I don't ever remember seeing a license plate with anything like that. Bumper stickers yes, but not license plates. But it does seem to me that both sides should be covered.

I agree, both sides should be available. Or, neither side at all because we don't need more road distractions. If I saw a plate with some sort of hateful message about gay marriage, or about Native Americans, or women in the work place, it sure would get my mind off the road and thinking about rear ending the jerk.

I completely agree. I think we have enough distractions on the road, enough road rage already IMO.

Pam
06-21-2007, 08:24 AM
And that's your choice. Opposing views should have the same choice.

Agreed! Right now I have an Animal Friendly one and it goes quite well with my *I love my poodles* license plate holder. :)

Blue_Frog
06-21-2007, 08:51 AM
I suspect that wearing your thoughts on your car, either on a bumper sticker or a license plate, can open you up to the crazies from either side of an issue taking out their aggression on your car if you leave it unattended in places like a parking lot etc. I wonder how many people get their cars keyed from plates and stickers?

I know my sister had an inflamatory anti-fur bumper sticker on her car, and another anti-meat one, and came down to find 2 of her tires slashed in the parking lot of her building one morning -- again, no proof, but we had out suspicions on that one.

In the past when i was driving a smaller car, my dad would offer to loan me his SUV to drive from Toronto to Montreal to visit my friends in the winter -- i always declined since he has a 'Toronto Maple Leafs' plate, and going into 'Habs' land with one of those would likely be taking my life into my hands ;)

lizbud
06-21-2007, 08:53 AM
I think the funniest bumper sticker I ever saw said
HUMPTY DUMPTY WAS PUSHED.
I had to pull off the road I was laughing so hard, don't know why that struck me as funny but I was howling and tears were coming down my face.

If I ever had a bumper sticker, that's what I'd choose. :D

gemini9961
06-21-2007, 09:33 AM
I agree with you Val. Ever since those "Choose Life" plates came out I have wondered why there weren't any for the other side. The "Animal Friend" plate is kinda silly looking. I wish it was a little better done as well. I have the standard issue "Orange in the middle" plate.

Puckstop31
06-22-2007, 12:18 PM
Abortion seems a lot kinder in many many instances.

The aborted baby might disagree with you here.... I wonder what they would say if we could ask them?

CathyBogart
06-22-2007, 01:19 PM
Huh, I just looked and apparently CA doesn't offer ANY custom plates. BLAH!

dukedogsmom
06-22-2007, 03:40 PM
Wow. That's unusual.

Edwina's Secretary
06-22-2007, 03:57 PM

Say what??? There are TONS of plates...save the whales, firefighters, various universities...oh gosh so many! I have never seen a "Choose Life" plate ( I assume those are for the anti-death penalty people?) but I've seen a bunch of others....

popcornbird
06-22-2007, 04:56 PM

That is not true. I just got a custom plate a few weeks ago. :p They have MANY. Just go to AAA and see.

dukedogsmom
06-22-2007, 06:41 PM
Say what??? There are TONS of plates...save the whales, firefighters, various universities...oh gosh so many! I have never seen a "Choose Life" plate ( I assume those are for the anti-death penalty people?) but I've seen a bunch of others....
No, it's a protest for abortion. Hense, my choice not being there about being pro choice.

Edwina's Secretary
06-22-2007, 08:04 PM
No, it's a protest for abortion. Hense, my choice not being there about being pro choice.

Well...you see that is something I don't understand...if someone says..."choose life" don't they... by definition...have to be anti-death penalty?

crow_noir
06-23-2007, 01:05 AM
I had friends that would have agreed with Marigold. Abuse is not fun.

The aborted baby might disagree with you here.... I wonder what they would say if we could ask them?

crow_noir
06-23-2007, 01:08 AM
I'm quite sure it happens quite often.

One of many reasons why i think someone should think very carefully before displaying their views on their car instead of a T-shirt.

I suspect that wearing your thoughts on your car, either on a bumper sticker or a license plate, can open you up to the crazies from either side of an issue taking out their aggression on your car if you leave it unattended in places like a parking lot etc. I wonder how many people get their cars keyed from plates and stickers?...

CathyBogart
06-23-2007, 09:03 PM
That is not true. I just got a custom plate a few weeks ago. :p They have MANY. Just go to AAA and see.

I was looking in the wrong spot then! I'll go look them up in a bit...

mugsy
06-24-2007, 12:17 PM
Indiana is too dang conservative (the only state more conservative than IN is KS according to some poll) to ever consider a "pro choice" license plate...they won't even consider a "spay/neuter" plate. We have plates for every imaginable college, breast cancer, kid's first, black history, environment (which goes to help create and preserve land for hunting)...OY!