PDA

View Full Version : Update on getting an Italian Greyhound

iggylove
10-13-2001, 10:00 AM
Finally, we did it.
We contacted the breeder nearest to us, and scheduled a time to visit; that day was Monday (Oct. 8). Though it was quite a long drive, it was worth it! The minute we stepped in the door, we were greeted by a bunch of yapping, tail-wagging Italian Greyhounds.
Even my father, who has been the skeptic about this- and pretty much unwilling to get a dog- really liked these dogs.
We sat down and immediately the dogs were bounding around, jumping up next to us, and licking at our faces. At that point, I was ready to take one home. :D
We asked questions about the breed, and the answers we were given were really interesting. The breeder was the owner of the mother. The mother was adorable! She was always leaping up onto the sofa and licking at my face.
We were about ready to go later on, and we were definitely interested.
So the pups will be born on December 1 and we'll be getting one around February 1.
We can't wait!
:)

RachelJ
10-13-2001, 10:21 AM
Congratulations. Seems like you have found a match. We will be looking forward to many, many posts...and pictures as you and your new pup start out on this wonderful adventure together. Do you know if you want a male or female?

Pam
10-13-2001, 10:52 AM
Congratulations! How exciting to be able to be in on the blessed event even before it occurs! We will definitely need lots of pictures and updates! I wasn't too familiar with this breed so I went to my favorite "Dog Breed" site to read about them. I didn't realize they were so small. :) They sound like absolutely wonderful dogs. Lots of good wishes to you! Oh by the way, here's the site. Just click below. :)
http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/italiangreyhound.htm

iggylove
10-13-2001, 11:00 AM
I'm already convinced that they're wonderful dogs. :D
Yes, they are pretty small, but never underestimate toy dogs' power. ^.^
I really can't wait until February. Since we live in upstate New York, it does get pretty cold. We'll be needing to get a coat for the pup. :)

And in reply to whether we want a male or a female, we're pretty neutral now. I guess we'll "let the puppy choose us."

Pam
10-13-2001, 11:06 AM
iggylove, I definitely am a sucker for small dogs (even though Bella is not small). My first two poodles years ago were toys who tipped the scales at around 6-7 lbs. :D They also had little sweaters and actually I just bought Bella a sweatshirt with her name monogrammed on it. :D I love to dress up my dogs and if you have seen some of the pictures Leslie has posted of Graham you will see a doggie in high fashion! Good luck to you! We can't wait to see your puppy! I agree....let the pup pick you! Great idea!

jackiesdaisy1935
10-13-2001, 03:33 PM
iggylove, Congradulations on getting your new puppy in February. What an exciting time for you, so much to look forward to. Have you thought of any names for female or male?
If not, you might ask everybody for suggestions for names here on PetTalk, I'm sure you would get lots of suggestions. It will be so exciting to see photos of your pup, get the camera ready.
Jackie

iggylove
10-13-2001, 04:13 PM
I haven't really thought of definite names for the pup yet- but I do have two names that are possible. Riso for a male and Risata for a female. I want to stick with an Italian theme- Riso meaning laugh and Risata meaning laughter. Though it doesn't have to be Italian. I am open for suggestions.

What do you guys think would be good for an IG pup (with grey markings on white fur-- relating these markings to what the mother's two daughters look like).

Daisy's Mom
10-13-2001, 06:21 PM
That's so exciting! IGs are so cute. Congratulations on your baby!

Buddy2101
10-13-2001, 08:08 PM
I have always Liked the name Baily if I ever got a female dog I would definitly name her Baily but that is just me.

AdoreMyDogs
10-13-2001, 10:32 PM
Congrats on your future pup! I don't know a whole lot about the temperment of the breed, but there have been a few in my many agility classes and they run so quick it hardly looks like their feet touch the ground! By the time my dog made it through an agility run, one of those IG's could have gone through it 3 times!!! They are so graceful and sleek. I absolutely love to see them in action, it's simply poetry in motion.

I think Poetry In Motion (call name Poet) would be a fitting name for a dog as graceful as an IG. Again, congrats. That is such exciting news. Please see if you can post pictures once you get them.

iggylove
10-14-2001, 08:50 AM
Thanks for the congratulations everyone. :)
Nice names you're coming up with, too.

As far as pictures go, I need to get a better digital camera before I get my pup! I don't have a scanner, but I do have a poor-quality digital camera, that wouldn't be of any use. Let's hope I get one by February! :D

BandiTank
10-14-2001, 12:00 PM
Congratulations iggylove! My mom has actually considered getting an IG when we move, but that wont be for a year or two, so we still have time to think it over. My mom and her fiancee' are letting me get a medium sizd dog and a little dog and I am also considering an IG. When we went to the breeder to get Master Splinter (our rat) he had 2 male Italian Greyhounds. They were so beautiful. They were so sweet, as soon as we walked in they were jumping around all over us. One was tan/white and the other was parti-color (gray/white). Their names were Pablo and Picasso, I love those names, they fit IGs really well. When you met the IGs at the breeder's house did you notice how long their legs are? For such small dogs they have very long legs. Congratulations! Keep us updated on how the birth goes, what gender you are getting, etc.!

[ October 14, 2001: Message edited by: BandiTank ]

crow_noir
10-15-2001, 02:28 AM
congradulations!!! i can't wait to hear puppy stories. i am getting so addictited to IGs even though i am a large dog person. (like GSDs and Rotts) i am simply in love w/ Tio.

hey, is there any way you can show us a pic of the mom?

maybe some italian name for storm or grey or cloud would be nice. or stone. *shrugs*

tatsxxx11
10-15-2001, 02:28 PM
Congratulations on the puppy to come! What fun you'll have. AND you'll be kept so busy through those last long days of winter :) Can't wait to hear puppy tales and see lots of pics!

iggylove
10-15-2001, 05:26 PM
We are regretting that we didn't bring a camera with us when we visited! :( So we don't have a picture of the mother.

We really can't wait! Though, when we go to visit again, I'll try to get a picture. :)

We're making a list of names we like and I'll post it up soon!

jackiesdaisy1935
10-15-2001, 08:58 PM
In looking at an Italian translation site I came up with a couple of names.
Wind Vento
Happy Felice
Beautiful Bello
Of course with a brand new baby it has to be just the exact right name. You will have a few months to think about it, what fun. :)
Jackie

crow_noir
10-15-2001, 09:18 PM
ooooh ...Felice sounds nice w/ a grey coat.

can't wait to see the list!!!!

iggylove
10-16-2001, 08:35 PM
Finally, here's the list!

Males
Riso
Amico
Rafe
Corragio
Vino
Vento
Pablo
Picasso

Females
Risata
Amica
Felice
Fedele
Danza
Bella (My mom was really into this one. Ee! Two dogs with the same name here? ^.^)
Aria

Possibly either
Veloce

-The ones we really like are Vino and Bella and Veloce- at the moment. Which ones do you all like?

(Thanks for all the suggestions!)

Daisy's Mom
10-16-2001, 09:25 PM
I like Risa, Risata, and the ones that you chose. Hey, in Spanish, Vino means wine! :)

jackiesdaisy1935
10-17-2001, 09:37 AM
I have to vote for

Bella ( a favorite here) and
Pablo

Jackie

BandiTank
10-17-2001, 11:59 AM
I like Pablo and Felice the best. :)

crow_noir
10-17-2001, 06:48 PM
i like Riso,, Felice, Danza, Bella(but it is just waaaayyyy too common), and Aria.