PDA

View Full Version : Transfering Documents...

Toby's my baby
06-20-2007, 02:13 PM
My sister, my dad, and I all share a computer now, since my mom moved. My dad has his own profile thing, but my sister and I share ours. Is there any way to transfer all my photos and documents to another profile so I can have all my seperate stuff? Do I put it all on a CD and then just put it on there or what??

Thank you!

-Beth

Blue_Frog
06-20-2007, 03:59 PM
My sister, my dad, and I all share a computer now, since my mom moved. My dad has his own profile thing, but my sister and I share ours. Is there any way to transfer all my photos and documents to another profile so I can have all my seperate stuff? Do I put it all on a CD and then just put it on there or what??

Thank you!

-Beth

For the simple method, yes. Copy everything to CD(s) (plus, you have the added bonus of a backup incase of a crash), and then have the admin user create a new profile/account for you. Copy everything back once its done.

There are other ways, but that seems the simpilest solution :)

Toby's my baby
06-20-2007, 04:19 PM
What about programs, iTunes, Ares, MSN messenger and stuff like that? Do I have to download them all again?

Blue_Frog
06-20-2007, 05:01 PM
What about programs, iTunes, Ares, MSN messenger and stuff like that? Do I have to download them all again?
Sometimes it depends on the program -- what you could do is make a list from the existing profile of all the programs you would like to have in your profile. Then have a profile created for you now, so you can see what programs are working on it by default, and which ones you might need to download and reinstall. Most of the programs you have listed are fairly quick downloads, and shouldn't take too long if they don't work in the new profile :)

Now, personalized account settings are a little harder -- these will likely not carry over to the new profile (like User names and passwords, things like that). Also, you will be likely missing your bookmarks in your new profile (but can be copied from the old profile). I'll see if i can dig up anything on the web that might help you with the transition :)

beeniesmom
06-20-2007, 05:12 PM
Who is the administrator of the computer?
The administrator can create a whole new profile just for you and you can then keep your stuff separate even if it's on the same computer.
CD back up is always a good thing to do in case your pc crashing but it's more convenient to have your own "portion" of the computer for your own stuff.