PDA

View Full Version : Calling all those with Green Thumbs

sparks19
06-19-2007, 05:02 PM
Alright.... I must confess.... I am incapable of keeping plants alive.

hubby got me a potted rose bush for mothers day. I am desperately trying to keep it alive but slowly.... the plant is dying. I don't want to plant it in the ground because I would like to take it with me when we move out of this house.

We now think that perhaps it needs a bigger pot to be planted in. Although now I am worried it won't survive and transplant.

there are still green parts and even some new flower buds..... but more and more is dying.

Can I save my plant or is it too late? and if I can save it... how?

Karen
06-19-2007, 05:40 PM
Go to your local garden center, and ask what fertilizer you need for a rose. If it came with a tag, bring that with you. And do repot it, in new dirt, ask for a recomendation on what dirt for roses. Is it in a spot that is getting enough sun? How often do you water it?

Pam
06-19-2007, 06:04 PM
It may actually do better in the ground. My daughter gave me a small rose bush for Mother's Day too and it was dying in the container. I planted it outside and it is coming back with lots of new growth. :) You can always dig it up and take it with you when you are ready to move. Transplanting is better, though, in the spring and fall. Karen also has a good idea about speaking with the people at your garden center. Good luck! :)

sparks19
06-19-2007, 06:36 PM
Go to your local garden center, and ask what fertilizer you need for a rose. If it came with a tag, bring that with you. And do repot it, in new dirt, ask for a recomendation on what dirt for roses. Is it in a spot that is getting enough sun? How often do you water it?

It does have a tag in it so I will bring that. It sits right in the window sill and seems to get quite a bit of sun b ut I am going to start putting it outside more often. I water it whenever the top of the soil feels dry... that's what the instructions said to do.

I think it's outgrown it's container..... what if I get a really BIG pot to plant it in. I didn't realize that I could dig it up and transplant it though. So maybe I will find a good spot outside to plant it after speaking with the garden center.

karyn674
06-20-2007, 04:53 AM
can we see the plant? can you post a picture?

It would be much easier to see what is the problem. Check underneath the leaves cos it might be also a disease.

Also be careful that you do not overwater cos it could die of root rot. The majority of cases, plants die of overwatering!

sparks19
06-20-2007, 08:18 AM
can we see the plant? can you post a picture?

It would be much easier to see what is the problem. Check underneath the leaves cos it might be also a disease.

Also be careful that you do not overwater cos it could die of root rot. The majority of cases, plants die of overwatering!

I will try to get a decent picture of it when I get home from work tonight.

it is in a tiny little pot so I think first thing is to replant it.... but I have also been noticing these little webby things on it.... but they are different from spider webs. I hope a bug isn't killing it.

Daisy and Delilah
06-20-2007, 08:44 AM
Turn those leaves over and look underneath. Do you have a magnifying glass if needed? There are so many culprits that could be hiding right now, under the leaves. Down here, we're covered up with bugs, especially in the summer. Best advice is definitely head to the garden shop for some help.

I personally keep something on hand that is a combination fungicide/insecticide. I can't remember the name but Wal-mart even carries some good ones. I think it's called Safer. Always remember to spray the underside of the leaves and not just the tops. While the tops are protected, the bugs are eating away underneath the leaves and destroying the plant. Also, Ortho has a good combo you can get. It's granulated, in a tall can with a picture of roses on it. It's great. Roses are very susceptible to all kinds of things but with a little TLC every couple of days, the rewards are worth it.

To save a trip to the store if necessary, I mix some water(a cool whip size bowlful), a drop of dish soap, and a capful of alcohol(from your medicine cabinet). I wear gloves and bathe the leaves of the plant with cotton balls(anything small). This will wash away most problems and it's good as new. You may need to repeat in a week or two. We have a guy here on tv called the Garden Rebel. He gives out these recipes all the time. Good luck!!

Also: Go to Home Depot, Lowe's-whatever you have and buy one of those $5 water gauges. You may be over watering even though it doesn't seem like it. That gauge is the best thing I ever bought.

sparks19
06-20-2007, 03:12 PM
OK I am almost certain my plant has spider mites :(

Hopefully it is not to late to save my plant. I am going to go out and get this insecticidal soap that was recommended on a website about spider mites. I hope it works.

I am also going to replant it

karyn674
06-21-2007, 04:12 AM
AH!! I knew it! At the moment I have some bug problems myself.......with my plans I mean! :o

Check this out its an organic insecticide:

1 tbs soap (like dish wshing liquid)
1 tbs oil (cooking oil)
1 lt water

Mix them altogether and spray your plant from above and below. Also be careful that you move it out of the sun for some time since the oil in the recipe can scorch the leaves. Repeat as long as you see the problem reversing. After that repot plant

Good luck!

sparks19
06-21-2007, 12:51 PM
AH!! I knew it! At the moment I have some bug problems myself.......with my plans I mean! :o

Check this out its an organic insecticide:

1 tbs soap (like dish wshing liquid)
1 tbs oil (cooking oil)
1 lt water

Mix them altogether and spray your plant from above and below. Also be careful that you move it out of the sun for some time since the oil in the recipe can scorch the leaves. Repeat as long as you see the problem reversing. After that repot plant

Good luck!

I sprayed it with some water and soap solution yesterday.....

I am seeing lots of dead mites everywhere lol.

We repotted it last night and it is ALREADY looking better. We also got some Bayer stuff that feeds the plant AND kills bugs including spider mites, it is specifically for roses. But I will continue to inspect my plant everyday lol.

it looks like the plant will survive so I'm very happy about that. I came home last night and took one look at the webs and could see those yucky mites moving around. YUCK!!!!

Kfamr
06-21-2007, 12:57 PM
I'll ask my mother when she gets home. I know that she cuts her rose bushes back completely every year, I'm not sure when though.

sparks19
06-21-2007, 01:04 PM
I'll ask my mother when she gets home. I know that she cuts her rose bushes back completely every year, I'm not sure when though.

Like right down to the base?

I might have to do that whenever that is supposed to be done. I got this rosebush for mothers day and it was blooming like crazy and then it suddenly started dying off.

but now I have it in a BIG pot on the porch and am taking action to kill the mites.... but other than watering and "feeding" the plant... I know NOTHING about taking care of the rosebush at seasons beginning and end.

Kfamr
06-21-2007, 01:08 PM
I'm not exactly sure so I'll ask her when she gets home.

In the meantime, here's a website I found and it even mentions spider mites.
http://meme.essortment.com/rosesbushescar_ridq.htm

Callie
06-21-2007, 01:32 PM
I'm glad you've discovered the major problem. Often happens when plants are moved from nurseries and crowded together in the process.

Unless you take care you could have a bigger problem, however. Spider mites can, and do, infest entire houses...and they'll absolutely drive you bats when they get into furniture, books, wardrobes etc...so....wash down the areas where your plant is/has been and spray wherever needed (indoors and outside). Pay special attention to cracks and crevises (like around windows or decks) as they'll hide there.

Callie

sparks19
06-21-2007, 03:35 PM
I'm glad you've discovered the major problem. Often happens when plants are moved from nurseries and crowded together in the process.

Unless you take care you could have a bigger problem, however. Spider mites can, and do, infest entire houses...and they'll absolutely drive you bats when they get into furniture, books, wardrobes etc...so....wash down the areas where your plant is/has been and spray wherever needed (indoors and outside). Pay special attention to cracks and crevises (like around windows or decks) as they'll hide there.

Callie

:eek: I didn't know that. I haven't noticed anything yet but I will definately wipe down all areas it has been in the house. Is there anything in particular I should use or just any cleaning product is fine?

Kfamr.... thanks for that site... that is exactly what I need... a month by month care guide

karyn674
06-22-2007, 02:43 AM
I'm really sceptical about an infestation inside the house of books and furniture!

You do have to give special attention to other plants though cos they can get easily infested with the same mite but furniture........really haven't heard of anything simillar!

The mites thrive on sap and are indeed defined as sap-suckers but I cannot visualise what they can suck out of my wordrobe or books. I checked my book again for reference and it says the following:

'Spider mites deslike a humid atmosphere. Once you've used the chemical control, regular misting to create humid atmosphere will please the plant and deter the mites'

Since you've used an organic pesticide not a chemical one I would suggest that you spray it every day for 10 to 14 days so with the pestricide to remove any mites and possible eggs that might hatch after you think the problem is solved.

After the problem is solved do give it some close check ups every now and then to be sure you have entirely solved the problem.

sparks19
06-22-2007, 08:24 AM
LOL No worries about other plants. I only have one other plant and it is planted in the yard FAR FAR away from my rose bush. I don't have plants because I can't keep them alive lol.