PDA

View Full Version : A picnic, boat ride and Lyme Disease

jazzcat
06-19-2007, 04:29 PM
My Dad's 85th birthday was June 3rd and to celebrate it we had a picnic for him at a park by the lake. As a surprise my brother in law rented a boat and we all went out for a long ride. We stopped at a little island where my husband got off and went into woods. When he came back he had some little ticks crawling on him which I knocked off. Guess one got on me because now I have Lyme Disease. I never saw the tick but I found the itchy tick bite and then the bullseye rash started and then the flu-like symptoms. I went to the doctor Friday and he said all indications are it's Lyme Disease and he started me on a 14 day course of antibiotics. He said that will cure it. I was thrilled and surprised it can be cured. I always thought you had it for life.

Anyway, here is my Dad feeding the ducks.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v110/jazzcat99/1-2007/14-1.jpg

One of the two eagle's nests on top of buoys we passed in the boat.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v110/jazzcat99/1-2007/11-1.jpg

caseysmom
06-19-2007, 05:02 PM
I hope you recover quickly Lyme disease can be pretty nasty.

Laura's Babies
06-19-2007, 05:36 PM
I am sorry to hear such a lovely day ended like this. I hope those meds do the trick and that will be the end of the story. TAKE those meds on time faithfully until they are all gone!

sabies
06-19-2007, 06:01 PM
If you don't catch it early it is hard to get rid of if not lifelong. I'm so glad you saw the rash and got to a doctor!

Pam
06-19-2007, 06:11 PM
You were lucky you got the rash. Not everyone does and, therefore, the disease progresses unnoticed and is mistaken for other things and the outcome is often not good. I am so glad you are going to be OK. My Bella also got Lyme disease and after a regimen on antibiotics she is all better too. :) I hate ticks!!! :mad: :mad:

Edit: How rude of me. I forgot to wish your dad a Happy Belated Birthday! Too bad you couldn't get him to turn around and smile. :)

elizabethann
06-19-2007, 08:19 PM
Yikes! That's scary! I've found ticks on me but so far, no bulls eye. I hope you feel better really soon.

Alysser
06-19-2007, 08:41 PM
Sorry to hear you got sick, from what I hear Lyme Disease is nasty. Hope you start feeling better.

Great pics! What a nice day..Happy birthday to your dad! Also, in the 2nd pic I think that's an osprey.

Brodi
04-22-2009, 04:01 PM
As Laura said,"Take those meds on time faithfully until they are all gone!". If you don't it can come back stronger. Brodi is having a recurrence after 3 years & because he's had trouble keeping the meds down he got better the first week & is now worse so we're trying to find a way to help keep the meds down (I just started a thread on that topic).
I would like to know what your vet gave you as a "life-time" cure. My human brother has had Lyme for 10 years & still has relapses.
Deer ticks were reason 28 for moving out of Vermont & back to San Diego.
Hope you feel better.