PDA

View Full Version : I can't imagine handling this as a parent

sparks19
06-19-2007, 09:33 AM
http://local.lancasteronline.com/4/205787

NO wonder it took his father two days to call the police..... How do you come to terms with the fact that your child killed three people in their sleep. I couldn't imagine having to deal with that as a parent.

What a horrible tragedy this was and it really shook the area..... no one knew who had done it and everyone was terrified... turns out it was a SIXTEEN YEAR OLD :eek: My God

king2005
06-19-2007, 11:25 AM
wow :eek:

moosmom
06-19-2007, 07:32 PM
turns out it was a SIXTEEN YEAR OLD

And I'm SURE they'll withhold the name of that 16 yeard old because of his age.

UGH!!! :mad:

lady_zana
06-19-2007, 07:42 PM

I think they named the suspect at the beginning of the article.

Hellow
06-19-2007, 07:53 PM
Omg
Omg
Omg
Omg

Who Would Do Somthing Like This!?!?!

sparks19
06-19-2007, 07:54 PM

His name is Devon Kreider.

And they are going to try him as an adult.

wombat2u2004
06-19-2007, 08:17 PM
Terrible stuff !!!!!
Wom

Marigold2
06-19-2007, 08:49 PM
Must have been some mental illness involved. This boy sounds like he had a problem perhaps relating to others. This can happen in the worst and best of homes. Mental illness can strike any family.

lady_zana
06-20-2007, 08:05 AM
Must have been some mental illness involved. This boy sounds like he had a problem perhaps relating to others. This can happen in the worst and best of homes. Mental illness can strike any family.

That is so true - mental illness can, and does, strike any family...and mental illness carries a stigma so people are very often embarressed to get the help they need. No one wants to be thought of as "crazy". In truth, a mental illness is simply another type of illness that can be treated with help and there is certainly nothing "crazy" about getting that help.

moosmom
06-20-2007, 08:35 AM
He SHOULD be tried as an adult. A 16 year old should know better.

sparks19
06-20-2007, 09:36 AM
He SHOULD be tried as an adult. A 16 year old should know better.

I couldn't agree more. At 16 you have a CLEAR knowledge of what death is... and you KNOW murder is WRONG WRONG WRONG.

IMO, mental illness is just no excuse to get off after murdering three people in their sleep. There are TONS of ways to get help if you need it....Being embarrassed to get help does not excuse stabbing three people to death.

KittyGurl
06-20-2007, 09:52 AM
That is terrible! :mad:

Laura's Babies
06-20-2007, 10:32 AM
Think about it... he didn't shoot them, he stabbed them so in order to kill them, he was extreemly close and touching them..... as compared to standing back to shoot them... That is really SCAREY to me! He had to have been covered in blood after stabbing 3 people to death and how many times did he have to stab them to kill them?

Yep, treat him as a adult and get him permanently off the streets!

sparks19
06-20-2007, 11:02 AM
Sorry... the kid's name is Alec not Devon.

Marigold2
06-20-2007, 10:43 PM
I agree he should be tried as an adult. However if you are mentally ill, truly ill, embarrassment is not on the top of your list. These people are in so much mental pain...................... thinking clearly is impossible for them. Perhaps he heard voices, perhaps he saw things that weren't there. No this does not excuse him, but it could explain his actions. Perhaps his parents were aware of his illness but did not seek help for him. This makes me think of the shooting in Virginia, that young man was clearly very mentally ill.
I couldn't agree more. At 16 you have a CLEAR knowledge of what death is... and you KNOW murder is WRONG WRONG WRONG.

IMO, mental illness is just no excuse to get off after murdering three people in their sleep. There are TONS of ways to get help if you need it....Being embarrassed to get help does not excuse stabbing three people to death.

sparks19
06-21-2007, 12:55 PM
I agree he should be tried as an adult. However if you are mentally ill, truly ill, embarrassment is not on the top of your list. These people are in so much mental pain...................... thinking clearly is impossible for them. Perhaps he heard voices, perhaps he saw things that weren't there. No this does not excuse him, but it could explain his actions. Perhaps his parents were aware of his illness but did not seek help for him. This makes me think of the shooting in Virginia, that young man was clearly very mentally ill.

to be honest.... anyone that can just murder people in cold blood for absolutely no reason is not exactly mentally stable. So wouldn't that technically make any murderer mentally ill?

Catty1
06-21-2007, 01:36 PM
There are cases where 'temporary insanity' is pleaded. So, yes, I would agree with that.

Killing in self-defense might lead to charges of manslaughter - but the person was not insane.

War? Well, that opens a whole OTHER can of worms...

The Virginia Tech guy HAD had treatment...and was just too bloody sick to get well, or to cooperate with treatment. His family - I can't imagine how they feel.

Like this boy. His family may have tried everything to help him...and now this. :(

Prayers for all concerned.

Argranade
06-21-2007, 01:47 PM
That's awful,

I hope they help him & may those people killed rest in peace.

:(

sparks19
06-21-2007, 03:44 PM
There are cases where 'temporary insanity' is pleaded. So, yes, I would agree with that.

Killing in self-defense might lead to charges of manslaughter - but the person was not insane.

War? Well, that opens a whole OTHER can of worms...

The Virginia Tech guy HAD had treatment...and was just too bloody sick to get well, or to cooperate with treatment. His family - I can't imagine how they feel.

Like this boy. His family may have tried everything to help him...and now this. :(

Prayers for all concerned.

Sorry.... I mean cold blooded murder..... killing someone who is completely defenseless and planned murder.

Self defense is a whole other matter..... Kill or be killed. I would do whatever I could to protect myself or my family if I had to and if that means killing out of self defense then so be it.

War.... kinda falls in a little bit with kill or be killed. They are sent to do a job.... once they are performing their duties they are being shot at.... if someone is shooting at me I will shoot back.

but to go into someone's house while they are sleeping and stab three people to death is just frightening. To kill for no other reason than "because I can" is scary and it takes a special frame of mind to be capable of such things IMO.

but, yes, how horrible to be the parents :( I just could not imagine my son that i raised coming to me and saying "Mom I killed three people while they slept.... one of those people was my best friend" I cannot even venture to guess how I would handle such a situation.

lizbud
06-21-2007, 04:39 PM
All murder cases are not the same and they are treated differently by law.
There's planned murder & unplanned murder (unintended death).

The brain of a teenage boy or girl is not yet developed into an adult brain. I
think they call this section of the brain the frontal cortex..is the last part
of the brain to reach maturity.

http://www.usaweekend.com/03_issues/030518/030518teenbrain.html