PDA

View Full Version : Doggie ear piercing????

Catlady711
06-18-2007, 06:25 PM
I'm putting this in the Dog House because of the potential for debate on this particular subject, however I do want to hear people's opinions and reasons for them though.

This weekend I went to the seasonal campground we frequent in the summer. Two of my neighbors there asked me a question I've never heard of before and wanted my opinion.

Seems that the one lady's sister wanted to have her chihuahua's ears pierced!!! :eek:

After reeling from the shock that anyone had even thought up such a thing, I then proceeded to explain why 'if it were MY dog' why I wouldn't do it citing possibility of infections, hemotoma from head shaking if the dog didn't like the earrings, pain, and explained about the blood vessles in ears that can bleed like crazy if nicked or if earrings got torn out.

Both women seemed rather dissapointed in my answers having obviously convinced themselves that it would be so "cute" and saw no more harm in it than piercing a human baby's ears (which BTW I don't agree with).

Honestly I could find no redeeming value in piercing the dogs ears simply so it would look "cute".

(this is also despite the fact the dog is horribly obese to the point it snorts when it sniffs, and their other dog has horrible arthritis which they will only treat with asprin, and they think dentistrys are a waste of money) Now mind you they are not all bad people and I like them in every way other than how they don't give their animals the best treatment available within reason.

So basically I'm wondering if anyone else has even heard of dog ear piercing, and what people's opinions are AND the reason for those opinions.

Taz_Zoee
06-18-2007, 09:05 PM
I don't like to post on threads that get ugly, but since this one hasn't I will just say....it sounds ridiculous to me, and leave it at that. :)
That's actually something I am surprised Hollywood Stars have not done. Like Paris Hilton and such.

IRescue452
06-18-2007, 10:16 PM
Not a good idea. Dogs aren't able to scratch around the earring with their back foot, they just scratch everything. When they have an itch they have no idea the dangers of ripping their earring out.

Jakesmom
06-18-2007, 11:07 PM
This is up there with the stupidest things I've heard of people doing...

Why can't people love dogs for what they are--DOGS?

Jakes mom

crow_noir
06-18-2007, 11:52 PM
If it weren't for all the dangers it presents I wouldn't care one way or the other. It does almost fall into the category for me of people piercing their babies ears. Disgusting. They have no choice in the matter. What you do to YOUR OWN body though is entirely up to you.

However since there are so many possibilities of injury or infection I'm on the side of the fence of opposition.

I don't see it as horrendous as something like ear cropping or tail docking though. Most dogs will get an injury sometime in their life that will be more painful than an ear piercing.

He he ... I remember wanting to get my Rat Terrier's ears pierced. (The tiny little flaps near the base. It was one of those passing things though. My morals over ruled the flight of fancy.

Pawsitive Thinking
06-19-2007, 04:39 AM
I have heard of it and I know of one case in the UK where the owner was charged with animal cruelty because he'd had his dog's ears pierced

elizabethann
06-19-2007, 05:47 AM
That's bizarre. That dog is a dog...not a human being. I think about the risk of infection and what if the dog scratched if off? I think it would be painful and irritating to the dog. I know when I don't catch a tick on Fenway, he scratches that area. I would think the earings would feel like a tick of some sort. I just think it's strange.

I saw a mini skirt on a little dog at PetCo this past weekend. I thought it was funny. I guess it's the same thing but at least the dog doesn't get hurt or risk infection by wearing a mini skirt. I'd rather see a dog in a mini skirt than with a pierced earing. The mini skirt is cute and funny...the earing is dog abuse.

pitc9
06-19-2007, 09:25 AM
I have heard of it and I know of one case in the UK where the owner was charged with animal cruelty because he'd had his dog's ears pierced

Good!! Glad they were charged!
Anyone that does that should be charged with cruelty!! :mad:

king2005
06-19-2007, 11:49 AM
I'm on the same boat with everyone else...

Now when I had my old dog I use to dress him up in my clothing. Sometimes I would put mom clip on earrings on him & I'd put the fake rings on his nose & lip.. I put bows & hair clips on his fur... got him to stand in high heels... ya know.. all HARMLESS to the dog... I didn't force anything upon my dog... He loved being dressed up, as he LOVED the attention it brought!

He was also use to wearing boxers when camping, as his belly was naked & the bugs would bite his belly & penis, which caused a lot of issues.

Everymorning he would try to get into my shirts, as he loved wearing them.. he would stick his chest out & prance around the house wearing my shirts hehehe

Bear isn't that type of dog, so I leave her alone... I would make her wear boxers to prevent bug bites, but thats it...

Crazy-Cat-Lover
06-19-2007, 04:34 PM
Apparently it's not just dogs that are getting pierced...

http://www.bmezine.com/pierce/11-surface/A50720/high/bmegl102617.jpg

http://www.bmezine.com/pierce/11-surface/A40123/high/spider-bite.jpg

Kalei
06-19-2007, 06:45 PM
I agree with everyone else. Unlike us who can decide for ourselves if we want it and then go get it done. Animals can't think or say "I want my ear pierced." And I'm guessing...that any animal would not want it lol.

CathyBogart
06-22-2007, 01:15 PM
I've seen it done and I didn't care for it but I have no strong feelings one way or another.

I was a bit shocked when a client came in with a pit bull who had a daisy tattooed on her inner thigh. :rolleyes: Her "dad" is a tattoo artist...

crow_noir
06-23-2007, 12:26 AM
Well, the good thing is that the dog is easily identifiable if she is ever stolen.

I've seen it done and I didn't care for it but I have no strong feelings one way or another.

I was a bit shocked when a client came in with a pit bull who had a daisy tattooed on her inner thigh. Her "dad" is a tattoo artist...

Taz_Zoee
06-24-2007, 05:54 PM
Yeah, I like the tattoo idea!! :D

Jessika
06-24-2007, 07:07 PM
That's actually something I am surprised Hollywood Stars have not done. Like Paris Hilton and such.
Let's not give them any ideas! ;)