PDA

View Full Version : This is Different!

Freedom
06-18-2007, 12:26 PM
This is a craigslist post. I've not seen anything like this before.

mailto:[email protected]

Someone please help us!!!!

------------------------------------------------------------------------
Reply to: [email protected]
Date: 2007-06-18, 10:03AM EDT

Hi,

I am about to give back my 2 puppies because I am losing my mind.

I have autistic twins that I bought these puppies for. They are Chacy Ranior puppies and are breed for special needs people.

Well they are not trained (still going to the bathroom in their crate and in the house and I am at my wits end.

I am looking for someone to either "donate or extremely reduce" their price of boarding obedience schooling. I wish I had the $$ to pay for it but these dogs cost a small fortune and I don't know what to do.

If you can help or you might know of someone who can help, please contact me.

Thank you in advance for your time.

Karen
06-18-2007, 12:30 PM
Email the person to contact the breeder - surely she got a contract requiring her to do so.

lute
06-18-2007, 01:27 PM
I would contact the owner and tell her to get a hold of the breeder. 2 puppies are a big handful! I know I couldn't raise two pups! Hopefully the breeder will be able to help her.

mike001
06-18-2007, 02:53 PM
Just breeding for special needs doesn't guarantee the pup will be able to be trained to do a job. Pups need lots of training and guidance. Have they been temperament tested? A trained older dog might be better.

BC_MoM
06-18-2007, 05:09 PM
Just breeding for special needs doesn't guarantee the pup will be able to be trained to do a job. Pups need lots of training and guidance. Have they been temperament tested? A trained older dog might be better.

Exactly. Puppies aren't born as guide dogs. They need to be TRAINED.

Twisterdog
06-18-2007, 11:20 PM
That's simply absurd.

If she wanted dogs trained to be companions and/or service dogs for her autistic children, she should have gotten adult, already trained dogs. That's like buying a lab puppy for a blind person, then being shocked that it isn't instantly guiding them to the store! :rolleyes:

Completely ignorant on the owner's part, and completely irresponsible on the breeder's, IMO. I think it should have been quite obvious to a responsible breeder that this woman was expecting miracles from these puppies, had no clue whatsoever what she needed or could realistically expect, and was getting in WAY over her head.

tikeyas_mom
06-19-2007, 12:44 AM
That is just crazy.. Somone should almost call this woman and tell her that these puppies WILL never be able to help her children inless they are trained for at least a year by a professional... Having two puppies at once is obserd, I could never handle it!!!.. Let alone having two autisic children to run around after as well. This woman sounds VERY ignorant. I hope she can get ahold of a professional and or the breeder ASAP.

mike001
06-19-2007, 08:53 PM
Wouldn't the blame rest on the breeder for not telling the buyer the truth? Lots of people falsely advertise their dogs and the naive buyers are the ones who get stung. Where would this woman have gotten the idea that the pup would turn out to be a guide or SD ? A person with 2 autistic children would be under terrible stress and be so anxious for help that she would fall for any gimmick. Lots of people don't know that much about dogs, we wouldn't fall for it because we have dogs.

*LabLoverKEB*
06-19-2007, 10:44 PM
WOW! :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: You guys said it all! Yes, someone please refer this lady to her breeder- she needs help!

theterrierman
06-20-2007, 10:12 AM
If the breeder was reputable, the dogs would be called "Miniature Littlefield Sheepdogs". The creator of the breed changed the name, and updated the bloodlines, so the only breeders raising Chacy Raniors are ones that pissed the creator off with their breeding programs, and therefore didn't get to work with the updated dogs. Second of all, it was my understanding that the Chacy Ranior was more of a therapy dog than an assistance dog. So, they would have come with very little training. Just my understanding of it, I could be incredibly wrong.

Still, you'd think that the breeder would have provided training tips, or offered training. A mother of special needs children has more than enough on her plate to begin with.

Andy

Mom of twins and puppies
06-20-2007, 05:58 PM
Well you will all be glad to know that I have signed the puppies up for a residence obedience class.

This breeder works with Dawn Littlefield (Miniture Littlefield Sheepdog) and this breeder does work with her. They are working together on the 2 breeds. I have spoken with Dawn directly to make sure she was ok.

I just want you all to try to understand that I am willing to do ANYTHING to try to help my sons. It is really sad that they are both autistic but we do anything and everything we can to try to help them.

There is alot of research about pets and autistic children. Yes, I wish they were trained more when I got them but I figured how hard can it be...I am raising autistic twins....BOY WAS I WRONG!!! But I am doing what I can to correct the situation. These dogs are therapy dogs so they are breed for their temperment, the learning ability, and their forgiveness among other things. They are great dogs....never bite...dont chew up the furniture....and always are licking you.

So I am sorry you all think I am completely crazy but like I said I would do anything to try to help my sons over come some of the characteristics of Autism. :)

Karen
06-20-2007, 06:04 PM
Oh good! Glad you and the puppies will be getting the training. In your current situation, that's the best idea. NEXT time, or if you talk to other parents of autistic kids, you will know that it is better to get an older, already trained dog, but now that you have and love the pups, training is key.

Do the kids interact with the pups at all? Will they be involved in the training? We'd love to keep hearing from you as the training begins and things progress.

Have you ever read Temple Grandin's work? She's an autistic woman who has always found animals easier to communicate with than people, and has done a lot of pioneering work in animal science. She's got a few books out, too - I got to meet her last year at a book show, I was so excited!

crow_noir
06-20-2007, 11:14 PM
Wow, what wonderful news.

I hope that the training classes help with every need you may have.

Thank you so much for signing up here. Don't be afraid to ask questions. (some members can be a bit too critical with out knowing an individual's situation. Look on the bright side. At least there are caring individuals out there.)

Best wishes on everything. Look forward to hearing updates on the pups and your children! :D

Well you will all be glad to know that I have signed the puppies up for a residence obedience class.

This breeder works with Dawn Littlefield (Miniture Littlefield Sheepdog) and this breeder does work with her. They are working together on the 2 breeds. I have spoken with Dawn directly to make sure she was ok.

I just want you all to try to understand that I am willing to do ANYTHING to try to help my sons. It is really sad that they are both autistic but we do anything and everything we can to try to help them.

There is alot of research about pets and autistic children. Yes, I wish they were trained more when I got them but I figured how hard can it be...I am raising autistic twins....BOY WAS I WRONG!!! But I am doing what I can to correct the situation. These dogs are therapy dogs so they are breed for their temperment, the learning ability, and their forgiveness among other things. They are great dogs....never bite...dont chew up the furniture....and always are licking you.

So I am sorry you all think I am completely crazy but like I said I would do anything to try to help my sons over come some of the characteristics of Autism.

crow_noir
06-20-2007, 11:20 PM
I had never even heard of this breed/project until this post.

here's some info in case anyone was curious... http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/miniaturelittlefieldsheepdog.htm