PDA

View Full Version : mexican crema, evap. milk

joycenalex
06-17-2007, 02:39 PM
and condensed milk. can anyone tell me which the mexican crema is more like? i know there is a difference between evaporated milk and condensed milk, and i'm curious enough that i bought a can, now i need to know how to use it. thank

RICHARD
06-17-2007, 04:09 PM
just about the same.what are you cooking? :D

joycenalex
06-17-2007, 04:31 PM
i made cold brewed coffee, and i wanted to try the crema in it. it worked well but now i'm chilling the rest of the crema to pour over the strawberries tonight. thanks for the info.

joycenalex
06-17-2007, 04:43 PM
it worked like a vietnamese coffee...only in america, vietnamese like coffee using mexican crema and african coffee beans ground in a german grinder and served in irish coffee mugs :p

Husky_mom
06-18-2007, 11:45 AM
I just saw this....... they are about the same but the condensed one is more sweet...... at least here hehe

the evaporated is more like cream or regular milk and the condensed is used more like syrup over things and make them sweeter but can also be used as cream....... so both work well.........

sirrahbed
06-18-2007, 01:00 PM
now I am curious...is mexican crema more like our evaporated milk or sweetened condensed milk?

edit: I googled it and found that it is not sweetened like our condensed milk - sounds to me sort of like a thinner yogurt? It also compares it to creme fraiche - we had that in Europe and I have not been able to duplicate it - yogurt is close.

joycenalex
06-18-2007, 04:22 PM
it's not sweet, at least not to me. and it is very good, chilled over fresh strawberries. i can update after i try it on blueberries and raspberries. not good on watermelon tho...ah the things i do for PT*snicker*

Husky_mom
06-18-2007, 08:21 PM
evaporated you can add water and itīs just like milk and condensed..........yumm.........try this

frappe some ice place in glass add cold cappuccino and a scoop of ice cream then add some condensed milk and some.......... how do you call this??........ itīs goat milk but the kind that itīs brown and like syrup but not like maple syrup........ we call it "cajeta"........ and there you go thatīs a treat...

joycenalex
06-18-2007, 09:43 PM
... how do you call this??........ itīs goat milk but the kind that itīs brown and like syrup but not like maple syrup........ we call it "cajeta"........ and there you go thatīs a treat...
dulch de leche? carmelized milk? i"ve had that, and you're right, that is good. thanks for the idea.