PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have any experience with Leeche(sp?) nuts??

moosmom
06-17-2007, 11:09 AM
I was shopping yesterday and came upon the weirdest nuts I've ever laid eyes on. So I decided to try them.

Winkie LOVES them. I'm not crazy about them and am wondering if the pit can be eaten??

Where do these little things come from anyway???

Karen
06-17-2007, 12:00 PM
They are traditional Asian food - Chinese lead the production of them in Canton. The "nuts" are not edible.

Lilith Cherry
06-17-2007, 12:18 PM
They grow all over the place here (Guangdong, Southern China)and the just picked ones are sooo delicious! Lychees is the better known spelling. They keep better if you leave the little twigs attached by the way but mine never last long before I have eaten them all. Karen is right though, don't eat the stones. My cats steal them and use them as footballs :)

Lilith Cherry
06-17-2007, 12:23 PM
I forgot to say there is a smaller variety called Longans ( or dragon eyes :p ) which are not so sweet and have a slight musky smell - they are good too!

Freedom
06-17-2007, 01:02 PM
I've only had them from a can. The way we buy peaches or pears, in juice? I LOVE them!! There is ONE Chinese buffet we go to which has them in the dessert area. YUM!

moosmom
06-17-2007, 06:22 PM
Winkie loves them. I tried it and wasn't all that impressed. I looked them up on Yahoo and they're comparable to an apricot, which I am not fond of.

Hey, at my age ya gotta try different things. :p

ramanth
06-17-2007, 06:46 PM
I had no idea they were real. The cartoon I watch, Avatar, mentioned them once and I thought it was a made up food, since the name sounded so funny.

I love apricots (especially dried). I'll have to see if I can find these now! :D

RedHedd
06-17-2007, 09:36 PM
Lychees are delicious!

Muddy4paws
06-18-2007, 10:07 AM
My boyfiend insists in picking up a can of lychee's everything we go to this chinese market place, hes got about 4 cans now.. lol Maybe I will nick some for Ronnie?! :D

He always swears hes eaten the last can but when he gets home they are suddenly in the cupboard! :eek: :rolleyes: lol I've never tried then but the Lychee flavoured jelly is very yummy!! The ones I get are from China and have coconut gel peices in them

popcornbird
06-18-2007, 05:04 PM
Lychees are fabulous! In fact, lychee juice is one of my favorite type of juice to drink. Its a very popular fruit in China, Iran, the Middle East, neighboring areas. We always buy lychees when we find it at the grocery store, and lychee jelly cups with little pieces of lychee in them, from the Chinese store are simply irresistable!

wombat2u2004
06-20-2007, 06:11 AM
I love lychees, and longans, and rambutans.....yummy stuff !!!!
Wom