PDA

View Full Version : Childhood things

popcornbird
06-15-2007, 04:56 PM
I was visiting my parents yesterday and was in their bedroom, talking to my mom as she was looking through some old suitcases. From one of them, she took out 4 dresses, and told me, "These were the 4 most beautiful dresses I stitched for you when you were a child. Keep them, and when God blesses you with a little girl one day, dress her in them and tell her you once wore them, and that her grandma made them."

I was surprised, because I had no idea my mom had kept some of my childhood clothes!!! The cutest one was a red polka-dot, frilly dress that my mom made for me when I was 2. It is so adorable. I can't believe I used to FIT in that! LOL!

The other three were from when I was older. One when I was 5, and the other two from when I was 8. I remember wearing the dresses when I was 8 years old. They are so lovely.

It was such a treat seeing the outfits I used to wear as a little girl, and I put them in my room at my parents' house. One day, if God blesses me with a little girl, they will be her's.

The dresses reminded me that I still had old toys in my room from when I was a child, and I decided to go look at them. I found my 5 beloved polly pockets, that were my FAVORITE toys when I was around 6 or 7. I found my favorite doll. I found my dream builders, my toy iron, my toy sewing machine that really works...several childhood games...oh my. All of them in perfect condition. My mom always tells her friends about how I never used to break or ruin my toys as a child. It brought back many wonderful memories, and I was showing my husband my little dresses and little toys, and telling him how I used to play with my Polly Pockets. He was sitting there like this... "
:D". I asked him if he had any of his childhood things to which he responded, "Nope...I was a BOY. I either lost or broke my things!" LOL!

Just wondering if anyone else on PT has saved childhood things, and if so, do you enjoy looking back at them, and remembering the days when you were little, and used to play with all those toys?

caseysmom
06-15-2007, 05:02 PM
I told my daughter how one of my favorite things from childhood was my jane west doll and she even had a horse. For christmas my daughter found pictures of them on the internet and put them in my stocking, it was so sweet it just made me cry.

joycenalex
06-15-2007, 05:37 PM
i have one doll that survived a flood, i loved that doll. thanks popcorn bird for bringing up those memories

wolflady
06-15-2007, 05:49 PM
Girl, I may be 30 years old, but I still play with my toys! LOL LOL :p

Ok, maybe not play, but I do still have a few of my favorites out that I just like to look at sometimes. I kept ALL of my favorite toys from childhood - a pretty large collection of the original my little ponies, cabbage patch dolls, legos, stuffed animals and so on. I kept really good care of my toys too, and I'm glad I kept them because maybe I will pass them along to future children should I decide to have any. I am getting up there in age... :rolleyes:...so who knows if it will ever happen. :o

**hugs**

sirrahbed
06-15-2007, 06:29 PM
AWW this was wonderful to read! Those dresses are something to treasure. I have two dresses and two diaper outfits that were mine in the early fifties. When I had my Missy in 1980, she wore the diaper outfits also. The dresses are cute and frilly but need to be ironed :o So, I keep those for sentimental reasons but never used the. One of the diaper outfits is made by Carters so they must have been around quite awhile and they still look perfect. If Missy has a little girl, I will give them to her. :D

I also enjoyed this thread for the memories. At the end of May when I was in Texas, I went through some of my things and my mom's things. I have my old Barbies and still love to play with those and get them out when Misha feels like playing "dolls". I brought home a beautiful pair of mom's stilettos from the 40's. Can't walk in them but they fit and are very stylish. One box I enjoyed looking at was my mom's WWII Army nurse uniforms and a couple old dresses. Vintage and gorgeous!! In my old room, I found old letters that Dennis wrote to me when I was a teenager - oh he was so romantic!! :D :D I always loved my dolls - two favorites were the "Chatty Cathy" and "Thumbelina" realistic babydoll and they are still in my dad's attic.

Edwina's Secretary
06-15-2007, 06:40 PM
My nieces have played with the Barbie dolls that my sisters and I played with as children. That was a treat when they visited grandma's house. And on my bookshelves I have the dollhouse furniture and dolls that were my mother's and that my sisters and I also played with! Just put them back out after a little break. My sisters and I divided the furniture so we could each have some.

(Does it count that I was married in the dress and veil that my mother and two of her friends wore?)

Anita Cholaine
06-15-2007, 07:24 PM
I was talking about this with my sister last night, and I was just thinking about making a thread like this one!

Unfortunately, when we moved out to a new house, when I was like 6 years old, many things which didn't really seem valuable -but which really meant a lot to me- were thrown away as rubbish. It seems that the most little things are the ones that make you happier when you're a child. It would mean so much to me to have some of them now.

I still have all my Barbies and my Polly Pockets (gosh, I was sooo obsessed with them :p) And thank God I took good care of them , cause now most of them are in such great conditions.

I_luv_rusty
06-15-2007, 07:42 PM
I have dresses from when I was a toddler, and shoes,baby caps, headbands from when I was little also. Once I grew out of the dresses I put them on my doll named "dee-dee" which I still have, and she is so beat up (she even has a broken arm and a makeshift cast made out of white duck tape that people actually signed) :D I have this big bird blanket that I LOVED when I was little, if I lost it i'd have a screaming fit. I got it a week before my 1st birthday from my mom's mom, she died shortly after before my first bday :(
I also have a bunch of barbies (some still in the package) I have the whole Wizard Of Oz barbies and 2000 Millinuim barbie. :p

Taz_Zoee
06-15-2007, 08:28 PM
I know my nieces played with a bunch of our toys that were mine and my sisters. And some of them may still be upstairs at my moms. She is trying to clean the upstairs so I will probably find a bunch of stuff. OH!! There is a closet up there that is PACKED full of stuff, like games and toys. That will be fun to go through. :D

Kalei
06-15-2007, 08:55 PM
Hmm I must think...i know one thing that i have saved since i was a kid was my old discman. I bought a discman when I was really young and it lasted me like 10 or 11 years! I loved it so much, that discman was my baby, and just about 2 or 3 years ago it finally gave out on me, but I still have it and keep out because I love it soo much...I know its kind of weird but oh well lol

Laura's Babies
06-15-2007, 09:06 PM
I have a Toni doll that I had as a kid... anybody else old enough to remember those? I have the orginal dress she came with but the rubber band that held her arms and legs on had long since rotted and broke. But I still have her and all her parts!

We had dresses that our aunt had a neighbor make for us to wear to school... I WISH I had some of those, I thought they were so pretty and I was so proud when I wore them. Martha Spangler is the lady that made them and she made me and my sister 2 or 3 every school year. She died many years ago...

Cataholic
06-15-2007, 09:11 PM
(Does it count that I was married in the dress and veil that my mother and two of her friends wore?)

Man, that musta been some kind of a huge dress! Or, did you have the waist taken in a little bit?

(OMG, I am crying right now)....

Edwina's Secretary
06-15-2007, 09:34 PM
Man, that musta been some kind of a huge dress! Or, did you have the waist taken in a little bit?

(OMG, I am crying right now)....

Actually...I had to have it let out a bit :D :D.... (or is that LOL hehehehe) you are still my favorite B!

crow_noir
06-16-2007, 01:47 AM
I would have LOVED to have kept some of my childhood things but when i was about 16 my Father MADE me get rid of about 95% of my belongings. (We had always been poor and I didn't have much to begin with. I might have one small box of toys left somewhere. Stuff i was able to stash away and hide from him.)

Slowly, but surely S.O. is helping me buy toys i had always wanted. It's not quite the same as the first release, but i got a second release kissing Simba and Nala! :D Just last month i got a REALLY GREAT deal on a vintage pogo stick. Not a replica. a real 1968 one.

No, i don't ever want to "grow up" and I'm not ashamed of that. Stingy stuck up grown ups die young and unhappy. I want to pass away with as little regret as possible. Have fun! Live a little! I see how far being "mature" has gotten my father! (And he's miserable, angry, and alone. No one can stand being around him.)

pitc9
06-16-2007, 08:31 AM
I am a child of the 80's and I still have my 2 Cabbage Patch Dolls (but I only remember the name of one of them :o )
Last summer my mom and I found a few boxes of toys and we found my old Webble Wobbels.
Does anyone remember the commerical??

*Weeble wobbel but they don't fall down*
:D
A few years ago I sold most of the 30+ My Little Pony's I had when I was a kid. I sold them all on E-Bay, didn't make a lot of money on them becuase they were not in perfect condition.
My sister pulled the Atari out of the basement about 3 years ago and it still worked!!! :eek:
My mom kept stuff from when I was a baby too.
When I was born my legs were bent funny, and when I was about 3 or 6 months old I had casts on my legs, my mom kept one of the casts.
And when I was 3 years old my family went out West on vacation and we got caught in a wind storm in Wyoming and my oldest sister picked me up to take me to the car and one of my shoes blew off! :eek: My mom still has the other shoe!

sparks19
06-16-2007, 04:19 PM
I love to see things from my childhood. I actually still have all my "My Little Ponies" and my Care Bears although they are currently in the care of my neices lol.

I also have a couple of books from when I was a kid. "Morris has a Cold" and "No Elephants" They were my favourite books when I was young and I can't wait to read them to my child.

But I love when we are out somewhere and I see a toy from my childhood.... like the fisher price cash register lol. Wierd things like that.

Karen
06-16-2007, 05:18 PM
Just last Christmas I gave my beloved Raggedy Ann doll - who wears child size 4 clothes to give you an idea of her size - to my littlest neice (Lady's Human's daughter Marylin-Jean) and she was immediately hugged and dragged everywhere, which was fun. With her went the child-size racking chair that my mother had as a toddler - she learned to walk pushing that chair around her room.

So not only do we hang onto things, we pass some along! I still have the little cast iron colt my Grandma brought for me from when she went to Kentucky, I have the little matchbox-size dump truck LH got me for Christmas when I was 16, as if I was gonna drive, he figured I'd better be in a BIG truck ...

But oldest of all is my bear. He is MY bear, made for me by my Aunt Dottie when I was born, and he may be a little "loved" but he is still fuzzy, and his courduroy tummy may be a little faded, and he's - well, UNIQUE looking, but he is MY bear, and sits on the couch in the living room with the newer stuffies. I looked at him with his goofy smile one day and said to Paul - "you think he started my affection for golden-brown fuzzy creatures, and that's why I picked Miss Hoppy?" He said "Probably!"

Alysser
06-17-2007, 07:56 PM
I have a Figaro stuffed animal from my very first trip to Disney World. I LOVE it and still sleep with it every night. He's so beat up now though. His face is all squashed in and the white belly and feet are all dirty. His head is sideways and his "sideburns" are missing alot of fur. The black on his eyes are scratched off and he doesn't stand well anymore, but I still love him. He still even has his little purple bow intact! My mom wants me to throw it out but I can never part with Figaro. I had to have it the moment I saw him, and it was the first time ever going to Disney World, when I was 4. He's 10. :eek:

I also have a pink bear my Dad bought at the hospital when I was born but it's nothing too special to me. He sits on my shelf all day.

moosmom
06-17-2007, 08:19 PM
Wow!! This brought back so many fond memories!!

I always loved my dolls - two favorites were the "Chatty Cathy" and "Thumbelina" realistic babydoll

I had a Tiny Tears doll that I adored. My dog Tinker chewed her fingers off and part of her hair. I was so upset.

Unfortunately, I don't have any toys or stuff you mentioned from my childhood. :(

cassiesmom
06-17-2007, 10:45 PM
I had a whole mess of Fisher-Price "little people" - remember those? Most of them went to a family friend with a young daughter but I kept the ones with wooden heads.

JenBKR
06-18-2007, 07:58 AM
My parents kept just about everything from when I was little. A lot of my clothes were handed down to me, then handed down to my sister, then my cousin, so I don't have lot of baby clothes yet. But, my baby will sleep in the same crib I slept in as a baby when he/she visits grandma & grandpa :D

Pawsitive Thinking
06-18-2007, 08:28 AM
I had a Tiny Tears doll which I took great pleasure in watching my daughter play with when she was little