PDA

View Full Version : toys for a overweight cat that needs to get busy?

boris91
06-15-2007, 04:42 PM
ok i have a cat she has lost a lot of weight her name is kimi and we bought her a laser toy that was great but she soon got bored now i dont know what to do to keep her busy any suggestions?

Taz_Zoee
06-15-2007, 08:08 PM
Cat nip? Taz doesn't get all crazy with it, but I guess other cats do.
Or just try different things till you find out what she likes to play with.
Sorry, I guess I wasn't really any help. :(

boris91
06-16-2007, 06:58 AM
she loves cat nip toys thanks! she dosent keep interest though because the smell goes so quik *thinking about buying catnip spray*

thanks again you were help!

Freedom
06-16-2007, 05:22 PM
Before I started growing my own catnip in my back yarrd, I used to buy the big container. I'd split the catnip between two containers and store the toys in them. Then I'd take a toy out of the catnip for playtimes.

I also have a "toy box" and find I have to rotate the toys every 2 weeks or so. :rolleyes: Nope, my 8 cats are NOT spoiled, not at all! :D

Different cats like different toys; and what one is using, they ALL want!

I think we have at least ne of everything at this point; I've owned cats for over 12 years and I only throw the toys out when worn out, not when the catnip scent is gone, as I replenish that.

Do you have a cat tree / climber? Set that in a window. They like to be in high places, and they LOVE to look outside! In the Autumn, set up a bird feeder out that window and keep it filled all winter.

Hope this gives you some thoughts!

catloverforever
06-16-2007, 09:25 PM
Hello boris91,
Well, I am glad you have been mildly successful with the catnip toys, but I know another toy you could try to use to help your overweight cat, Kimi, get busier. That is good that she has already lost some weight! Congrats to her and you, her proud owner. :) Anyways, here is the toy I would recommed:
A TurboScratcher kitty toy. It is a circlular toy that has a ball/mouse in it that goes round and round (when they touch it with their paws). It also has some carpeting on top of it that Kimi could scratch her claws on. Kimi could chase the balls/ mice back and forth. The thing is, I am not sure if she would do that. You see, my two adult cats don't chase after the mouse in our TurboScratcher that we have here. I spin it around and around and they don't go after it :rolleyes: . But my kitten, Nitschke does. So maybe, if you are willing, you could just try it out. They are found at PetSmart and other pet stores, and are usually around the price of $12.00 (some may be a little less or a little more, depending on the size and quality).

Well, it was my pleasure to help you out. I hope I have actually helped you, and that some other additional people will write in with their own helpful and unique advice.

Catloverforever :D

I have three cats, and they are as follows:
1. Reggie, a 1 year old Tuxedo Cat who was Cat of The Day January 29, 2007.

2. Nellie, a three year old Lynx Point Siamese who I've nominated for Cat of The Day but hasn't been COFD yet...

3. And Nitschke, a three month old DSH kitten with calico/tortie coloring. She is the newest member of our family :) .

What kind of a cat is Kimi? I'd love to see a pic of her. I am sure she is beautiful :cool: , like all Pet Talk People's kitties :) .

PS. I read on your profile that your birthday is June 26. Wow, it is coming up! Happy early birthday! :) My birthday is June 29, only three days from yours.

Don Juan's mom
06-17-2007, 04:34 PM
Just a thought: I watched an Animal Planet program on "Fat Pets" the other night, featuring Archie the 23-pound cat. Archie's humans were following the vet's instructions to get Archie to increase his physical activity... but Archie isn't always co-operative. :rolleyes: His daddy said it was the hardest he'd worked since he went through firefighter training.

My own experience is that the best toys are those that stimulate the hunting instinct. Zerlina's second favorite toy is the "Cat Dancer", a bit of cardboard on the end of a springy wire. (Her favorite toy is any bug that gets in the house.) Don Juan goes more for things with feathers. And they both will go for things that aren't official toys, i.e. shoelaces, feather dusters.

Good luck, and good for you for caring for your cat! :)

Liz

kt_luvs_kitties
06-17-2007, 08:45 PM
My cats LOVE the Da Bird wand toy. They go crazy, esp. my fat kitties!

mrspunkysmom
06-21-2007, 01:49 PM
Well, the best cat toy ever invented had a human at one end of it. I read that you bought a laser. I had one cat the bonkers over light beams and another that ignored such stuff.

One day I noticed that Spunky was getting more than pudgy around the middle and was approaching roundness. So I started the Kitty'Lympics. He's more active if I am using a wand toy or throwing rattley balls for him to chase or knock out of the air. It's good for me too.

Anne