PDA

View Full Version : Retractable leads going in the bin

Pawsitive Thinking
06-15-2007, 08:12 AM
Had dogs close to me while I walked them to the field, let them have full length of leads to run around for a while, was about to put them on shorter leads again when they spotted a cat in a bush!!

Couldn't pull them off with leads because they'd got tangled in the bush so I had to haul them both off by the scruffs of their necks. The cat seemed to get a few good scratches in and had gone when I went back to check on the poor little thing.

Tobey and Archie are in no doubt that they are in my bad books! (I know its normal dog behaviour but still....). I feel sick :(

Will be picking up strong, "normal" leads on my way home. Any suggestions?

JenBKR
06-15-2007, 08:17 AM
Silly boys, what were you thinking? It's ok, it happens to the best of them at times.

Taz_Zoee
06-15-2007, 09:20 AM
We have a retractable lead for Zoee and I stopped using it for about the same reason. I could not keep good control of her on walks. I find the regualr nylon lead works good. You might want to try a leather one, which may be stronger. Or maybe someone who uses halters find that works better. I've never used one, but want to try something like that with Zoee.
I'm glad they didn't hurt the kitty. Dogs will be dogs.

Pawsitive Thinking
06-15-2007, 09:29 AM
I guess its something that neither dog went for me in the chaos! They both walked back home very subdued too

shais_mom
06-15-2007, 11:36 AM
Not sure if you can find them in your neck of the woods but I just bought lupine collar and leash from http://www.lupinepet.com/ altho I got mine off ebay.
The leash is 6 feet long.

I have a retractable leash that I only use for taking Keegan out on my property for potty breaks. I've had it since I had my greyhound so for at least 7 years b/c Keegan will be 6. I bought if for my greyhound b/c it was the only 'freedom' she had. But when this one breaks - I won't be replacing it. It has definately gotten its money's worth.
I can definately see the retractable having a purpose for responsible pet owners like you. But I think people should be given a test before getting one. ;) TOOOOOO many people stand around and don't pay attention and allow the dog to roam all however many feet of leash. And think that b/c they are on leash they are ok. I watched this @ a recent doggie event and turned to one of my friends and said yup that is why not everyone should have a retractable leash. :rolleyes: :eek:

Pawsitive Thinking
06-15-2007, 12:53 PM
Thanks guys - I feel a bit less like "the dog owner from hell" now.

I bought two braided leads on my way home and have just walked them for about an hour - seems to work pretty well, probably because they are like an extension to my arm. A slight tug and both of them were walking by my side.

This even worked near the garden where they stop to look at bunny and pig - normally its a real effort to stop them pulling but today it was a lot easier. I think the neighbourhood cats are going to be a lot safer from now on :rolleyes:

JenBKR
06-15-2007, 12:58 PM
Thanks guys - I feel a bit less like "the dog owner from hell" now.

Now you can go back to just being the 'employee from hell' ;)

Seriously, as I told you before, I think even the best trained dogs go a little haywire once in a while. It's just instinct, and it's no reflection on you. You are a great doggy mommy :D

king2005
06-15-2007, 01:10 PM
I only put Bear on one when I'm sitting in the backyard so she can roam a little further.. but for anything else shes on her thick black leash, as shes 160lb & the retractible is for a 60lb dog lol

luvofallhorses
06-15-2007, 01:14 PM
I don't really care for retractable leashes. they can snap easily especially if you walk big dogs like mine. we just use the nylon ones or the chain ones no, its not a chain its hard to explain it has a handle at the end and it's chain but it clips on the collar. if that makes sense. ;)

elizabethann
06-15-2007, 01:20 PM
Fenway has a retractable leash and he forgets all of his manners when he is on it. Retractable's are not the best leash. If I had a bigger dog, I would use a "normal" leash. Lupine is a good product (made in NH). Fenway has several of their collars & leashes (when we actually use a "normal" leash). To get complete control over your dog, a "normal" leash is the best. IMO. :)

Jadapit
06-15-2007, 01:25 PM
I was out walking the dogs one Sunday. This was before we got Ebony. Anyway, we were coming up the road and an older gentlemen was walking with his cocker spaniel with a retractable lead tied to his walker. :eek:

Jada and Daimond were being good. I thought I could get turned around before the cocker saw us. Wrong. The cocker came running at us. It pulled the poor mans walker out from under him. He went rolling down a hill. This poor man was probably in his late 70's, early 80's. The dog was coming at us full steam ahead, running across the road, pulling the walker with him. The dog wanted to tear my dogs up, I knew he couldn't handle fighting Jada or Diamond. I couldn't let my dogs go to help the poor man, I was busy trying to get his dog away from my dogs.

I yelled at the guy and asked him if he was ok. He had gotten up by then. He said he was. He was yelling at his dog to come, he would not listen. People were driving by, no one was stopping to help. :mad:

Finally a lady stopped and got the dog, took the dog and walker back to the man and helped him home. It was awful. I started crying when it was all over. I wonder if that poor man put that lead away after that?

You are not the dog owner from hell. The terrier breed can have a high prey drive, I see it in Ebony at times. You are a GREAT dog owner! :D

Pawsitive Thinking
06-15-2007, 04:49 PM
Now you can go back to just being the 'employee from hell'

Back to what I do best :D

Thank you everyone for your wonderful comments - I really do appreciate your support

Cinder & Smoke
06-15-2007, 05:06 PM
But I think people should be given a test before getting one. ;)

TOOOOOO many people stand around and don't pay attention and
allow the dog to roam all however many feet of leash.

I watched this @ a recent doggie event and turned to one of my friends and said
"Yup, that is why not everyone should have a retractable leash." :rolleyes: :eek:

:eek:
:p

<koff> <koff> ... <sputter>

<snikker>
:D

crow_noir
06-16-2007, 12:42 AM
For dogs that don't pull much i prefer the soft woven nylon. (It'll be a more rounded than flat, but not round like rope.)

BC_MoM
06-16-2007, 02:24 AM
I HATE retractable leads and just about anyone who uses them, LOL.

While using them, you have EXTREMELY limited control. If your dog suddenly bolts in any direction, it can damage the interior and you can't lock it or retract it anymore. I haven't had luck with any - dollar store versions, OR the ridiculously priced ones.

cmayer31
06-17-2007, 04:53 AM
I guess I'll be the one who admits to using a retractable lead quite often. If I'm going to be someplace where I expect a crowd, or a lot of dogs then I'll use my regular 6' lead, but if I'm going on a hike or away from crowds then I take the 18' retractable. The one that I use is a "tape" style, so it is not the cord and is rated for bigger dogs. I've never had an issue with it, and it actually works better to keep Frankie near me if we encounter off leash dogs on the trail. I can lock it at whatever length I need for passing, or getting around people and then I can let her out to the full 18ft once were clear.

I see nothing wrong with the retractable as long as they're used in a courteous manner. The retractable let both Frankie and I enjoy playing in the rivers, and waterfalls on our last vacation. I don't think I would have enjoyed being out there as much if I only had the shorter lead. I actually enjoy the retractable right now. :) That said, I've never really had an issue with Frankie on one, but I'm sure if I had a bad experience that I'd consider using the 6' lead all the time.

shais_mom
06-17-2007, 07:30 AM
I see nothing wrong with the retractable as long as they're used in a courteous manner.
you hit the nail on the head! ;)
I don't have a problem with them either - if used responsibly.
I just don't like to see people use them as a fishing line for the dog - when they aren't paying attention. That can get the dog in trouble. My parents have a dingbat neighbor that was out walking her dog UP a blind hill she was on one side of the road - and the dog on his retractable was on the other and she was looking the other way. That's asking for trouble no matter which leash you use! :mad:
I suppose I'm spoiled when it comes to Keegan. She doesn't let her momma get far from her site usually - so when everyone else's dogs are tied up, she is either loose or dragging her leash.
When we met for on Memorial Day just a small group of us @ the Findlay park - everyone else had their dogs tied up. (Diana, Carl, Phred) and when I did the good owner thing and tied Keegan to a stake in the ground she barked, pulled, whined until she pulled the stake out of the ground. :rolleyes: I unclipped her leash and she went over stuck her head in the cooler filled with ice - and never made a peep. Which for her is saying something! :eek:
I take Keegan out on her retractable @ nite maybe simply b/c I haven't learned my lesson that when she sees a rabbit - she takes off after it too fast before I can get it locked pulling it from my hand. What was that I said about responsible owners? :o :confused: :o :eek: :o ;)

CathyBogart
06-17-2007, 09:20 AM
I use one for Star and Wilbur frequently. It's a great tool in the right situation, and those two are *generally* good enough to use it, unlike Jasper.

On behalf of vet staff everywhere though, I'll say PLEASE don't bring your dog on one of those to the vet's office. It's harder to control your dog, and there are probably dogs there who are sick, injured, or otherwise unfriendly. It's a BAD IDEA. Star almost removed the nose of an 8 month old lab puppy last time I took her in.