PDA

View Full Version : Guide dog leads chapel's singing

ChrisH
06-15-2007, 07:20 AM
A guide dog is helping to lead the hymns every Sunday at a Welsh chapel.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v11/CwmmawrJet/Miscellaneous/_43047299_hymnsheet_203.jpg

Teddy has become a member of the small congregation at Rehoboth in Five Roads, near Llanelli, where he is adding his bark to the singing. The five-year-old has been attending services with his carer Nona Rees since February but in the last month he has started to play a more vocal role. Mrs Rees said the dog only joins with the rousing hymns and often takes a break to sleep during sermons.

She has been looking after Teddy, a golden retriever and labrador cross, while his owner recovers from illness

"Everywhere I go he goes," she said. "He just used to put his head down and sleep but then one day started to join in - I did not know where to look." But she said other members of the congregation seemed quite happy with the extra voice so he has continued attending on Sundays ever since. "It's not every hymn - its the faster ones and the higher ones he joins in," added Mrs Rees "He's a lovely working guide dog and I will be very sorry to see him go when he returns to his owner."

Chapel organist Jim Jones said the congregation would also miss him. "I was playing one Sunday and then all of a sudden he started. We are only a small chapel - usually there are less than 20 of us - but they are all singing a bit louder so they can be heard over Teddy."

Story from BBC NEWS:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/1/hi/wales/south_west/6752647.stm

Killearn Kitties
06-15-2007, 07:32 AM
What a wonderful story! I have to go to Pembrey in 2 or 3 months, I am now very tempted to look Teddy up while I'm there! :D

Freedom
06-15-2007, 09:37 AM
HUGE grin here! Great story.

lizbud
06-15-2007, 04:43 PM
That's a great story. :) Teddy sounds like a sweetheart of a pup.
I'm glad everyone didn't mind a extra voice at services. :D

chocolatepuppy
06-15-2007, 10:09 PM
What a cute story! Teddy probably sings better than I do! :D