PDA

View Full Version : Had to save a dog tonight...

wolf_Q
06-14-2007, 11:01 PM
Well that was the most exciting walk I've been on in a while. I wasn't actually going to go for a walk tonight, I mowed the lawn so I was going to count that as exercise ;) but the dogs wanted to go. I like to walk on a road next to a canal, there's a nice view of the valley and it's away from cars, etc.

I had been walking for a while when a lady came by on a bike with a dog chasing after her. It was a young springer spaniel, I'm familiar with the dog, I see it often on my way to the canal, its often running loose (not uncommon around here, many people let their dogs roam, it drives me crazy). :rolleyes: The first thing the dog did was run up to my dogs and try to bite Nebo, I chased him off a few times because he wouldn't leave my dogs alone. Finally he gave up bothering me and apparently decided to take a dip in the canal.

The problem was, once he got in, he couldn't get back out! Here's a picture of the canal to give you an idea...its pretty deep/swift right now and most of it has steep cement sides.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v216/U2Q/canal.jpg
I watched him for a minute to see if he'd get out--he kept clawing at the sides but he couldn't get a grip and the current was too fast. I knew then that I was going to have to get him out of there.

I tied up Nebo and Keva, I didn't think I would have to go far to grab the dog and I was afraid I might drop their leash trying to get him out. I couldn't just jump in, somebody would have to save me if I did :o I'm a terrible swimmer. I kept running ahead and reaching down trying to grab the dog but I couldn't get far enough down the side without falling in. I kept missing and he kept going further and further. Finally I saw a place with some metal rod steps (likely for people to grab if they fell in) and I ran far enough ahead and climbed down the steps. The dog was in the middle but I kept calling him and he swam toward me. Luckily I was able to grab his neck as he went past and pull him out. The minute he was out he took off running in the other direction like nothing had happened. I couldn't go after him, I had to run back and grab my own dogs, I had ran so far ahead I could no longer see them and I was worried...obviously I wasn't thinking when I did that, but they were ok nobody bothered them.

I walked back (with one soggy shoe) and I saw the dogs owner outside as I passed their house. I asked her if she knew her dog was running loose by the canal. She said she did, and that she tried calling him but he kept running. I told her what happened and she was just like "Oh thanks, I guess I should go look for him." (It was almost dark by this time too). :rolleyes: So hopefully the dog stayed out of the canal and he'll make it back home. :( Why can't people just keep their dogs in their yards? :confused:

Kfamr
06-14-2007, 11:30 PM
Glad you were able to save the dog! Stupid owner. :mad:

Cinder & Smoke
06-14-2007, 11:35 PM
Well that was the most exciting walk I've been on in a while.

Finally he gave up bothering me and apparently decided to take a dip in the canal.

The problem was, once he got in, he couldn't get back out!
I couldn't just jump in, somebody would have to save me if I did :o

Finally I saw a place with some metal rod steps (likely for people to grab if they fell in)
and I ran far enough ahead and climbed down the steps.

Luckily I was able to grab his neck as he went past and pull him out.

"Oh thanks, I guess I should go look for him."

OMG!
WOW! :)

Lemmie *slap* a GOLD STAR on you forehead, Amy!!

GOOD On'ya, Amy!! ~~~ WAY to GO, Girl!!! ~~~ We're all PROUD of you!!!

:D

And THANKS for being careful ...
* Securing Your Pups first
* Realizing you shouldn't just *jump in*!!
* Planning your Rescue ... nice Clear Thinkin!!

TAKE a BOW, Amy!!

{{{Hugs}}} from Phred!!

shais_mom
06-15-2007, 12:02 AM
kudos to you Amy - I'm glad you are both safe!

K9karen
06-15-2007, 12:04 AM
Gesh..tell me about it!! I'm just glad that you weren't rewarded with a bite. Funny how our adreneline just rushes in and we do things we never would. You did great, Amy. Did the lady thank you at least?? Did you smack her? Is this a Gemini thing?? :D :D I'm very proud of you too!! {HUGS}

crow_noir
06-15-2007, 12:54 AM
*HUGS* :)

Phred and Kfamr pretty much summed it up well.

Genny
06-15-2007, 01:48 AM
That was an awesome thing! I'm glad you saved him :)

cmayer31
06-15-2007, 02:07 AM
Wow Amy, gold star for sure! :D I'm glad that you were there to rescue the springer, but more importantly I'm glad that both of you are ok! Swift water can be a scary thing :eek: .

I really hope that the owner learned a lesson, but it doesn't seem like it. :(

Freedom
06-15-2007, 07:09 AM
Great job! You are SUPER! What Phred and Kfamr said.

Any chance a call to animal control about this would bring a wake up call to that dumb owner?

gemini9961
06-15-2007, 09:22 AM
Way to go Amy. Doesn't sound like the owner appreciated your efforts but we sure do. Great job! :)

cyber-sibes
06-15-2007, 10:16 AM
Wow. Good job, Amy! Gold stars for sure!
I can't believe the owner didn't freak out when you told her what hapened! Geesh!:rolleyes:

Maybe you should write a "letter to the editor" of your local paper about it, pointing out the danger & asking people to keep their dogs home. That woman may not "get it", but it might alert others to a danger they hadn't considered.

I remember seeing a rescue like that on Animal Planet - (don't remember what kind of animal), but it was also trapped in a canal & couldn't climb out.

Hellow
06-15-2007, 10:38 AM
OMG!
WOW! :)

Lemmie *slap* a GOLD STAR on you forehead, Amy!!

GOOD On'ya, Amy!! ~~~ WAY to GO, Girl!!! ~~~ We're all PROUD of you!!!

And THANKS for being careful ...
* Securing Your Pups first
* Realizing you shouldn't just *jump in*!!
* Planning your Rescue ... nice Clear Thinkin!!

TAKE a BOW, Amy!!

{{{Hugs}}} from Phred!!

Everything He/She said...

Vela
06-15-2007, 11:38 AM
Well he sure was lucky you were there to save him. Nice of his owner to go look for him :rolleyes: Great job Amy! I'm glad you and your pups were all safe.

Ginger's Mom
06-15-2007, 12:01 PM
I agree with K9Karen, you are lucky you didn't get bit in the attempt. You really are a hero, Amy. :)

*LabLoverKEB*
06-15-2007, 12:33 PM
Way to go, Amy! I agree with Kay, stupid, stupid owner.

sparks19
06-15-2007, 12:48 PM
OH my gosh.... Way to act quick in such a situation. I am so glad you didn't fall in.

I can't stand it when owners just don't care. WHY do you have a dog if you don't even care? I would have been chasing after the dog if it did not come back when I called even if it almost killed me to do so.

it upsets me to see how heartbroken we are by the passing of our beloved pets and then people like this are like "Oh well whatever."

pitc9
06-15-2007, 04:01 PM
Wow!
Way to go! Amy saves the day!

ratdogg
06-15-2007, 04:27 PM
that was a really brave and selfless act. saving a dog from a dangerous situation like that is really admirable. :)

lizbud
06-15-2007, 04:36 PM
Wow, great job there Amy. :) You really kept a cool head and did exactly
the right things. I'll bet that pup has learned his lesson about the water, but
doesn't sound like the owner understood how close her dog came to death.

tikeyas_mom
06-15-2007, 04:40 PM
Thank goodness you were there Amy, that dog would have probably drown if it wern't for you.. Stupid fricken owner!! Some people really urk me.. :mad: