PDA

View Full Version : Another teacher/student scuffle.

RICHARD
06-14-2007, 02:28 PM
Here in El Lay county a shop teacher and student got into a scuffle.

A student tried to leave the class room and the teacher grabbed him by the arm, The student pushed the teacher and they both went to the floor.

The teacher banged the kid's melon on the ground -concussion city!

The teacher was put on admin leave and the kid made an observation about "knowing better the next time.."

wombat2u2004
06-15-2007, 06:43 AM
And we wonder why the kids.......errrr...no...better not go there !!!
Wom

Cataholic
06-15-2007, 10:47 AM
Now, wait a minute Wom (and Richard??) are you suggesting bonking this kid's head on the floor, to the point of concussion, was somehow appropriate?

Grabbing a student is wrong, unless it is an emergent type situation, and prolly we could agree leaving a classroom without permission is not.

But, any adult (or, even sub adult) should know better than to knock a kid's (or anyone's) head on the ground.

What am I missing?

DJFyrewolf36
06-15-2007, 11:21 AM
Seems to me there was inapropriate behavior on both sides...

RICHARD
06-15-2007, 05:13 PM
Now, wait a minute Wom (and Richard??) are you suggesting bonking this kid's head on the floor, to the point of concussion, was somehow appropriate?

But, any adult (or, even sub adult) should know better than to knock a kid's (or anyone's) head on the ground.

No, I am not suggesting bonking the kid's head on the ground,

A nice ballistic metacarpal charge to the occiput should do the job.

Teachers these days do not have any protection or are guaranteed a safe place to teach anymore.

I grew up with Sister Mary Torquemada and S.M. Inquisition.

They never made me bleed and the only thing I learned was behave and not get into a fight.

wombat2u2004
06-15-2007, 07:40 PM

Grabbing a student is wrong, unless it is an emergent type situation, and prolly we could agree leaving a classroom without permission is not.

What am I missing?

A question !!!!!
Assuming the teacher did nothing to prevent the boy from leaving the class, and then the boy walked out of the door, tripped and fell down the school steps, broke his neck and became a paraplegic for life.
What would be the outcome ???? Who would be liable ?????
Tell me.
Wom

Cataholic
06-15-2007, 08:07 PM
A question !!!!!
Assuming the teacher did nothing to prevent the boy from leaving the class, and then the boy walked out of the door, tripped and fell down the school steps, broke his neck and became a paraplegic for life.
What would be the outcome ???? Who would be liable ?????
Tell me.
Wom

Well, on those facts alone: no one. Liability stems from negligence. A bad outcome doesn't equal a bad act. Not to mention that slip and falls are an uphill battle at best, for the slippee. The law presumes a certain amount of liability on the slippee.

Those aren't the facts that Richard gave us.

wombat2u2004
06-15-2007, 09:03 PM
Well, on those facts alone: no one. Liability stems from negligence. A bad outcome doesn't equal a bad act. Not to mention that slip and falls are an uphill battle at best, for the slippee. The law presumes a certain amount of liability on the slippee.

Those aren't the facts that Richard gave us.

What I am trying to establish here is Duty of Care !!!!!!
Has the teacher a duty of care for the student ?????
And therefore, if the teacher allowed the student to simply walk out of the classroom for no reason other than the student didn't want to be there.....is the teacher guilty of breach of duty of care ???? (Assuming that the student fell down the stairs after he left the class.) And isn't the teacher responsible for that student whilst he is in his care ????
Wom