PDA

View Full Version : Washington D.C.

Uabassoon
06-14-2007, 12:47 PM
On Tues Alexa and I leave for Washington D.C. I've been twice but both times were just for a long weekend so I've never had much of a chance to explore the city, this time I'll have 6 days to run around. We are going to be visiting my sister, but she has to work during the weekdays so we will have plenty of time alone to explore. She lived right by the metro so transportiation shouldn't be an issue for us. Does anyone know of anything that is a must see? I'm sure we'll spend a day or two walking around the mall, I want to go to the zoo, walk around Dupont Circle, and my sister really wants to take us to Kings Dominion on Saturday. Other than that we really don't have too much planned. So any tips on what we really should see would be appreciated!

Kfamr
06-14-2007, 12:49 PM
I know what! Drive South a few states and visit Florida. ;)

Uabassoon
06-14-2007, 12:52 PM
I know what! Drive South a few states and visit Florida. ;)

Hmmm maybe I could convince the local city bus to drive me to Florida!

Karen
06-14-2007, 12:59 PM
Definitely the museums on the mall - the National Gallery, the Air and Space Museum, the Smithsonian, just so much cool stuff. The memorials are nice to walk around, as well - not just the Lincoln and Washington and Jefferson ones, but the Korean and Vietnam War memorials as well. And if you PM Laurie (lbaker) and Cheryl (Emily_the_Spoiled) the both work in DC, maybe you could meet a couple Pet Talkers!

Edwina's Secretary
06-14-2007, 01:08 PM
Everything Karen says...plus the Holocaust Museum...and Mount Vernon if you can get to it is WONDERFUL!

Cataholic
06-14-2007, 02:04 PM
There is this must see city- Cincinnati...just a short hop away from you.

Uabassoon
06-14-2007, 05:46 PM
There is this must see city- Cincinnati...just a short hop away from you.

Seeing as how the metro doesn't go quite go that far, I think you should drive down. Alexa can watch Jonah and we'll go have a beer.

Cataholic
06-15-2007, 08:35 AM
Seeing as how the metro doesn't go quite go that far, I think you should drive down. Alexa can watch Jonah and we'll go have a beer.

Now, THAT is a plan. But, I would have to add an 's' on the end of beer. :D

Freedom
06-15-2007, 09:43 AM
Take good walking shoes; an extra pair too. DC is a walking city.

Air & Space, and the Capitol tours are great. FBI tour is also interesting.

I'm not sure if you can do it between now and Tuesday; call yoru Congressman's office and see about a pass for the Capitol. If you enjoy that sort of thing.

Take camera.

emily_the_spoiled
06-15-2007, 10:07 AM
Besides the good walking shows make sure you bring a bag that is easily searched by security. Every museum and most buildings here search bags and will ask for ID.

It is also supposed to be in the high 80's low 90's next week, so wear plenty of sunscreen (as someone who burns very easily I can attest it is not "fun").

I would also recommend the Holocaust Museum, I can not say that you will enjoy it, but you will certainly be moved by it.

If you enjoy art work, the National Art Gallery is wonderful. Take a look at the Smithsonian website before you come because they will give you a very good idea of what is showing at each of the sites (there are 11 different sites).

The Spy Museum is also alot of fun (very interactive) and the Postal Museum is entertaining and quircky.

If you want to get together let me know and I will PM you my phone number.

Cincy'sMom
06-15-2007, 10:16 AM
Now, THAT is a plan. But, I would have to add an 's' on the end of beer. :D

I'll drive to Cincy and ride along with you!!

Marigold2
06-15-2007, 10:52 AM
Karen is right, there are so many things to see and do. The Air and Space museum, tomb of the unknown soldier. The wall, the nurses monument, the graves of all the soldiers.
Definitely the museums on the mall - the National Gallery, the Air and Space Museum, the Smithsonian, just so much cool stuff. The memorials are nice to walk around, as well - not just the Lincoln and Washington and Jefferson ones, but the Korean and Vietnam War memorials as well. And if you PM Laurie (lbaker) and Cheryl (Emily_the_Spoiled) the both work in DC, maybe you could meet a couple Pet Talkers!

lbaker
06-15-2007, 11:59 AM
Hey you two!! Don't you dare come into town without letting me know when we can get together :D One place that I love that has not been mentioned is the National Cathedral. Around the back, but still inside the cathedral, is a tiny little chapel that was built for and dedicated to animals. The grounds are beautiful too, lots of veggie gardens and flowers. I'll P.M. you my home and cell phone numbers ~ have a safe flight. Maybe Cheryl and I can meet you for lunch one day too! Looking forward to seeing you both again.

Laurie

Uabassoon
06-15-2007, 10:45 PM
Lunch would be great. I'm not too sure if I'll be able to get away during the weekend since my sister and I have plans on Saturday to go to Kings Dominion and I'm going to see my uncle on Sunday, but I have Thurs (21), Fri and Mon (25), if you can sneak off work for a quick lunch.

lbaker
06-16-2007, 07:04 AM
I have weeks of vacation time owed. I'll take the durn DAY off! Let me try to reach Cheryl [EtheSpoiled] YOU HOOOO!!!! OH CHERYL???!!!

Freedom
06-16-2007, 07:36 AM
I just returned to the thread to add the National Cathedral. I see someone already suggested it.

I was going to say Washington Cathedral. Is that the same place? I remember having a wonderful self guided tour through there.

ramanth
06-16-2007, 01:37 PM
It was years ago, but I enjoyed visiting all the memorials and museums, especially the Smithsonian! :D

lbaker
06-16-2007, 02:10 PM
National Cathedral, Washington Cathedral.. yeppers, same. Did anyone mention that all these things and places in DC are FREE? Yep, Zoo.. museums.. monuments.. all free to see and enjoy. After all, this is OUR Nations Capitol and finally one of the things about which we can say "this is us". I really do love this city and am very proud to show anybody around :cool:

Uabassoon
06-16-2007, 11:37 PM
So I just found out one of my good friends will be in D.C. the same time as me and Alexa we made plans for Monday lunch, so now that leaves Thurs (the 21st) and Fri open. Do either of those days work for you?

emily_the_spoiled
06-17-2007, 09:21 AM
Thursday works best for me, Laurie?

lbaker
06-17-2007, 10:56 AM
Thursday it is then :D YIPPEE!! Another PetTalk mini-meeting! Regular place Cheryl? It's right next to a Metro at Gallery Place so quite convenient for Museum hopping before or after lunch for our honored guests of the city. Noonish? UB & Alexis, I'll P.M. you my work, cell and home phone numbers shortly. Cheryl, I've lost my "little black book" with all my phone numbers :( Do you still have mine? I have yours at work so if I don't hear from you I'll call you tomorrow or Tuesday.

Uabassoon
06-17-2007, 04:31 PM
Sounds like a plan!

lbaker
06-21-2007, 01:18 PM
WOOO WOOOO Just returned from a yummy fun-filled lunch at Legal Seafoods!! Fried clams (with fries and slaw) Fish & Chips and Garlic Shrimp!! Cheryl & I had to drudge back to work and Laura & Alexa are going to hit the National Portrait Gallery (I think, actually we all wanted to just go home and take a nap after eating all that food :rolleyes: ). PetTalkers ROCK!!! :cool: :D

slick
06-21-2007, 01:23 PM
Glad you all had a good time. Just one word though....

PICTURES?????

lbaker
06-21-2007, 01:32 PM
*bows head, oops* :( :o

emily_the_spoiled
06-21-2007, 01:47 PM
We were to busy eating and chatting to remember pictures ... sorry