PDA

View Full Version : Your Favourite job

sparks19
06-14-2007, 11:03 AM
What is your most favourite job you ever had?

My absolute, hands down favourite was when I used to do singing telegrams :D Yes you heard right lol. I used to dress up in this goofy outfit and go to restaurants and embarrass people and sing to them for their birthdays or anniversaries or what have you. it was Wonderful

Although the job I have now is a close second lol I get to do my hobby all day as a JOB :D It's great

What was your favourite job and are you still doing it?

moosmom
06-14-2007, 11:11 AM
My favorite job was a staff writer at the Hartford Courant. I had my own "Pet of the Week" column. Then I made the absolute dumb mistake of pulling up stakes, quitting my wonderful job figuring I'd easily find a writing position in Michigan. WRONG!!!

Three long years later, I came back to my roots, unemployed. I have been happier ever since.

k9krazee
06-14-2007, 11:17 AM
Singing telegrams?! How cool!!

Well...I've only had two.

Last summer I worked at a Miniature Golf place. It was fun, I learned how to juggle (because it was dead all the time there), I worked with a few friends from high school, got to see people that I knew all the time...but it was so boring. Not to mention I wanted to work outside (mowing lawns, picking up golf balls, etc) but I was born the wrong gender apparently and girls can only work inside. Load of crap.

This summer I'm working at a small local grocery store as a cashier. Its fun because the people I work with are hilarious and we get a lot of regular customers so I know a lot of them by name.

Soo not too much experience in the job world, but all I have to say is that I'd never want to do either of them longer than a summer's worth :o There are people at the grocery store who have been there for 10+ years and I could not imagine doing that, they hate their job and come in everyday with a bad attitude. I told one of my coworkers that I actually liked working there because it gave me something to do and she said I had issues :D

During school I worked as a Professor Assistant. I actually got to "teach" my own visual basic (computer programming) course because the prof. I worked for was LAZY (I made up the assignments as we went, kept track of grades and attendence, helped out during class, etc). But I had a GREAT time and made a ton of new friends. It actually kind of made me want to teach for a living, haha.

binka_nugget
06-14-2007, 12:04 PM
My favorite job is being a Dog Trainer! :D I run my own company though I'm only teaching one class a week and private sessions now.. I'm still taking it slow. I want to do it right and build up a good rep. After I work on my credit a bit more and take a few more courses/seminars, I'd like to eventually open a doggy daycare and run classes in the evening.

My day job right now isn't too shabby either.. I scan documents all day while watching stuff on my iPod. :P

Logan
06-14-2007, 12:36 PM
In 1982, after my sophomore year at Clemson University, I spent a summer in Florida going through the Magic Kingdom College Program at Disney World. My "paying" job was as a bus driver on the property, taking people from their hotels to the entrance of Disney and driving employees from the parking lot to the entrance of "the tunnel" where they went to work. :) I absolutely loved it!!!

sparks19
06-14-2007, 12:52 PM
In 1982, after my sophomore year at Clemson University, I spent a summer in Florida going through the Magic Kingdom College Program at Disney World. My "paying" job was as a bus driver on the property, taking people from their hotels to the entrance of Disney and driving employees from the parking lot to the entrance of "the tunnel" where they went to work. :) I absolutely loved it!!!

Wow that sounds like a neat job.... I always thought disney would be such a cool place to work haha.

Uabassoon
06-14-2007, 12:55 PM
My current job is my favorite. I work at a coffee shop, I love my customer and my coworkers. Everyday is a fun day at work (ok sometimes I do have a bad day). Part of what makes it fun is that I love the company I work for, I'm treated with respect. My bosses are also fantanstic and I feel like they really value me and I can talk to them about any problem I'm having. I think when an employee is treated with respect it really shows in their work. Plus who wouldn't want to spend there day chatting with all kinds of different people! I get regulars who come in more than once a day, and I meet lots of new people every time I work.

Maya & Inka's mommy
06-14-2007, 12:58 PM
That was teaching in first grade!! Those kids are so full of good intentions, and their trust in their teacher is heartwarming! I loved it: in september those kids know nothing, and by june they can read and count!! :)

Taz_Zoee
06-14-2007, 09:22 PM
My favorite temp job was a summer in Santa Cruz (Capitola to be exact) at the Mervyn's clothing store. I loved working the fitting room. Other employees thought I was crazy, so it worked out well. :D

My favorite career has to be my 12 years working in child day care centers. I learned and taught so much. I worked with children ages 6 months to 12 years old. I was even office manager at one center for almost a year (which is what got me on my current career path - accounting) and an assistant director for about a year.

Pembroke_Corgi
06-14-2007, 09:50 PM
My favorite job, luckily, is my current one working as a piano teacher. I love to work with the kids and get to know them. Many of them work so hard and really put a lot into learning piano, they have come so far and really love it...it makes the job fun!

Plus, as a pleasant side-effect I am becoming a better pianist. My sight reading skills have improved 100%. And I also make more per hour than I ever have and it's great to only have to work part time while I'm student. My boss is excellent too. I love my job! :D

critter crazy
06-14-2007, 09:55 PM
I truly enjoyed my 10 yrs in the Army, and I realy miss it. But the job I have now, so far is fabulous! I work for the State in The DMV Testing & Investigations Unit. I Love it!!

DJFyrewolf36
06-15-2007, 12:29 AM
I have to say I like my current job the best doing pavement marking. Its kind of scary playing in traffic...but I get to tell people I get paid to play in traffic ;)

K9karen
06-15-2007, 12:46 AM
I was a corporate travel agent for 32 years and I LOVED it! It could be aggravating and stressful, but also exciting, challenging and never boring. I LOVED my clients, my travelling benefits, my coworkers. *Sigh* Those were the days.

Oggyflute
06-15-2007, 02:49 AM
I would say my favorite job, was when in the Air Force, I was posted to 33SQN. Basically meant I was flying around the world in a boeing707, doing various tasks at tax payers expense. I spent a few years there then left the Air Force. For a young bloke in his early twenties, it was the best job in the world. It was exciting, even dangerous at times, but never ever dull. The best thing is that the mates I flew with are still best friends today, and we meet regularly. The Air Force taught me life skills that I use everyday of my life. For a young teen with attitude who doesn't know what to do with their life, I can highly recommend the Armed Forces. (Well the Air Force anyway, I can't say I really enjoyed running 10 miles with a full pack and rifle, so I'd probably give the army a miss. :D ;) )

Laura's Babies
06-15-2007, 08:41 AM
Being a high school cafeteria manage was wonderful and fun in the beginning. The kids were always happy and tons of fun and I loved it, going to work was a joy every day! Then the kids changed to angry hateful kids with smart mouths, our assistant principle retired and we got another that caused a ton of problems for everyone because he wanted to run the principle off and that job became hell. I lost all respect for the school board for allowing him to do what he did and that is when I left. (I was still there to see everything he did blow up in his face and he NEVER got the principles job and assigned duties he HATED!)

The job I have now is the best! The boat I work on has the best Captain I ever worked for... but I have to add here that I laso worked for awhile under the Captain from hell and darn near had a nervous break down while working under him. (he also got what he had coming and got fired and his wife divorced him) But right now, I am HAPPY HAPPY HAPPY where I am! The benifits provided by the company are the best I have ever had and I am making more money that I ever dreamed I could make cooking.

Marigold2
06-15-2007, 09:35 AM
Working in a staffing agency, we staffed nurses, RT, in hospitals. My co-workers were the greatest, so many laughs, incredible pay, 401K, health benefits, vacation time, bagels and lattes every friday, office parties, but best of all it was so much fun and I got a great pay and we got huge Christmas bonus.

sparks19
06-15-2007, 11:52 AM
Cool.... so many different jobs posted on here. Very interesting ones too.

LOL I will elaborate on my singing telegram job..... my character was "Tacky Tina".... I went to the thrift store and picked out the most mismatched clothes I could find :D I wish I had a picture lol. I had a bright yellow floppy hat, a peach top, a vest that had purple, orange, green, and pink flowers on it that came down to just under the bust line, I had a bright blue skirt with neon flowers on it, I had bright red wooly socks (one pulled up and one pushed down lol) and these granny slipper type shoes that were kind of goldish. I wore crazy make up and put hot rollers in my hair and had them hanging out of the hat lol.

I had to go into restaurants and peoples places of employment like this.... and when I found the person I was looking for I started yelling about my long trip to come and see my estranged love and ask why he never calls or writes anymore lol. I had to be loud, obnoxious and outgoing (right up my alley lol). I sang two songs.... My guy and hey Good Lookin haha. then I gave them a bottle of wine and a balloon for the occassion and then I said goodbye.... blew my estranged love a kiss and ran out. haha it was so much fun.

I had to do one for the president of this big cookie company one time and they had set up a "staff meeting" so everyone could be there to watch his embarrassment. While I was waiting the receptionist looked very worried and said "Oh God I don't know why they would do this to him.... we are gonna get fired" and made him out to sound like he was this big blowhard lol. I was kinda nervous going into that one. So I BURST into the meeting and start my skit and this guy is looking at me with this horrible, mean face and I really thought he was going to kick me out.... but once he realized what was going on... he was the BEST customer I ever had lol. He really enjoyed it and he played right along, it was great.