PDA

View Full Version : On a brighter note...

sirocco
07-18-2002, 08:58 AM
... and referring the sad cases of abuse that we, unfortunately, know of too often, I'd like to tell you that I'm collecting now signatures to press our Government to modify the penal code and include animal cruelty as a crime, instead of consider it a foul as it is the current situation.

A catalonian organization, Fundación Altarriba (http://www.altarriba.com) (sorry, as far as I've seen, the web is in Spanish and Catalán only!) has already gathered more than 600.000 signatures! It's quite a figure (at least for Spanish standards).

I've been pestering my relatives and colleagues at work :o ;) and I have now 20 signatures!! :) It's not a huge number, but I am really excited and happy about it - and just wanted to let you know!!! ;) :) I'm sure you'll get the same feeling that I have when talking about this so it's a pleasure for me to share this with all of you.

The other Spanish member (as far as I know!! :eek: ) of PT, koxka, may know better about this organization, as she lives in Catalunya! (I live in Seville, Andalucia, which stands quite far from it, and not only geographically, but also in their struggle for more advanced laws in lots of fields, not only animal abuse!)

Well, that's all, just wanted you to know and share the thrill I'm having!!!

Nita

sirocco
07-18-2002, 09:02 AM
Sorry, I was wrong - the web site is ALSO available in English!! Just look for the word IDIOMAS (that's languages in Spanish! :) ) and then you'll have to select your prefered language twice (first on the link I provided on the other post, and twice, on the new page that appears once you've selected the language!!)

Nita

Gio
07-18-2002, 09:45 AM
Hey Nita,

good news! I understand why you are so excited. Good luck I really hope that you will succeed in changing the situation.

Randi
07-19-2002, 06:18 AM
I'm so glad to hear that Fundación Altarriba exists. I've had a look and they seem to be doing a really good job. It would be great if you can persuade the Government to change the laws concerning animal cruelty - what an achievement that would be!! :)
I think it's fantastic you've been able to get 20 people at your work to sign this, many probably don't think about these things in their everyday life, but when they get confronted, most will understand (hopefully!) and the pressure will grow until something radical is done! Good work Nita! ;)

Ann
07-19-2002, 06:56 AM
Good work! I know exactly how you feel, because I collected signatures once or twice when I was little in school, and it sure is a good feeling!