PDA

View Full Version : Well, I did it...

Catty1
06-13-2007, 10:42 PM
...I'm not sure if this belongs here or in General.

I posted earlier about our local Humane Society moving into their new building!

Lo and behold, they have a job opening for a Receptionist! Minimum starting wage is $12 hr, which is more than I have been making for the past two years.

After being in tears again today on the phone - though my boss wasn't angry - saying that I had NEVER formatted a report in my life, and I was doing the best I could - I finally decided to look for a job that was a better fit.

The new building's architects were told to base the building on the kennel where I used to work - and I am proud of that!

I do hate to leave the magazine job, and I hope I can help on occasion - but I can't wait on paydays anymore(I know it worried the boss, not his fault, but pay is tied directly to incoming cash flow).

But I am tired of trying and waiting to present a contract so I can get a raise...the timeline keeps getting pushed back again and again...

Sorry - guess this SHOULD have gone in General.

Prayers please that everything works out the best for both sides.

caffeitina
06-13-2007, 10:51 PM
Good luck with the job hunt, Catty. Hoping you get your dream job at the Humane Society :)

jennielynn1970
06-13-2007, 10:57 PM
Heck, I'm just wondering if I'm in the wrong country...minimum wage is $12/hr!! Dang!

I think when it comes to jobs you have to go with what you feel best doing in your heart. I did billing and collections for medical offices for almost 7 years before I decided to get serious about education. I could still do it as a PT job, but as a FT job, it was NOT for me. Being in a cubicle for 8hrs a day is just not my kind of life. I had horrible blood pressure problems (and I was in my 20's when this was going on), and was basically miserable. I switched offices when I got better wages or better benefits, but really, unless I wanted to be an office manager (ugh in my book), I wasn't going anywhere.

So, I took those personality type tests, the Myers-Briggs one, and read some books based on the Myers-Briggs philosophy (awesome book is Do What You Are by Tieger and Tieger). I went into the book with no preconceptions about what I thought about doing, but knowing what I hated doing, and what made me happy. I came out of it learning a lot more about myself. I'm so glad I took the time to take the tests and read the books.

I may be in one of the most underpaid professions, but you know what, I'm in it for the kids. I LOVE what I do. I love reading and I love teaching and most of all, I love making a difference in a child's life. I don't care if they are in elementary school (where I was, and was very happy with that age group, but not the schedule), or in middle school where the children are challenging, but oh so worth the time to get to know and get past that "I'm tough as nails" exterior and know that they feel comfortable talking to you.

I had a hard time deciding whether to go into teaching or social work, they both pay poorly, but are both so worthy, but I went with teaching cause I figured I would be less likely to take home stray kids this way, lol.

You just have to figure out what makes you happy. And if working for the shelter makes you happy, go for it.

I told my union president (I "volunteer" my time as the Public Relations chairwoman for our teacher's union of 1200 people) this year that I was quitting because I would rather volunteer my time scooping cat **** at the shelter than dealing with his ****, and all the rest of the crap that comes with being a executive officer in the union... it's thankless, and it keeps on being thankless, and you just get kicked no matter what you do. At least the cats are happy to see me when I go in to clean the shelter... they just are glad to have company and to be loved. To me, that's the best volunteer position in the world.

Candace, you go with your heart... it won't lead you wrong when it comes to something like this. You'll be so glad you did!

CultureJunky
06-14-2007, 05:49 AM
Good luck with the job hunting, and I really hope you find something that suits you, makes enough money and that you're happy in, if only all the world could have a job like that!

Sara luvs her Tinky
06-14-2007, 06:12 AM
GEEZ !!! I would loooove to find a job starting at 12.00 an hour !!

:eek:

good luck with evertying.. keep us posted !

Laura's Babies
06-14-2007, 08:05 AM
Does this mean you have that job or just that you applied for it? I hope it is YOURS!! Good Luck!

Randi
06-14-2007, 08:20 AM
Good luck getting that job Catty! :) It's sounds a lot less stressfull than the one you have now.

Logan
06-14-2007, 09:34 AM
I'm going to keep my fingers crossed that this will work out for you, Candace. You deserve to be doing something you love. :)

Logan

PS. Butter said he will cross his paws, too. :)

Pawsitive Thinking
06-14-2007, 09:51 AM
Hope it works out for you - a singing receptionist ;)

Catty1
06-14-2007, 09:53 AM
Posted by Brody's Mum
Hope it works out for you - a singing receptionist

CAT CHOW SONG - EVERYBODY!

"meow meow meow meow
meow meow meow meow
meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow...." :D

Trinityagain
06-14-2007, 09:57 AM
Good luck! All fingers and paws crossed here as well.....

Freedom
06-14-2007, 11:39 AM
Oh sounds good. And sounds like you are ready for a change.

Best wishes, let us know!!

lvpets2002
06-14-2007, 11:57 AM
:) WoW thats Great .. Congrats

Laura's Babies
06-14-2007, 02:40 PM
I can just picture you answering the phone "Good Morning Meow Meow, Meow, Meow,Meow Meow, Meow, Meow, Meow, Meow,Meow Meow, Meow, Meow MEEEEEEEOOOOOOOW!"

phesina
06-14-2007, 04:23 PM
Best wishes, Candace! It sounds great.

We have all appendages crossed in the hopes that it comes through and it's every bit as wonderful as you hope.

Pat, Peony, Sydney, Poppy, Elmer, and Priscilla Angel

Catty1
06-14-2007, 05:35 PM
I got an auto-reply email saying they were moving (the HS) and she would reply asap.

They were open TODAY...but I was asked to into the office today and was upset when I came home, and needed my painkillers - so will go say HI tomorrow.

DrKym
06-14-2007, 05:45 PM
Good Luck {{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{hugs}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}

krazyaboutkatz
06-14-2007, 11:37 PM
Good luck.:) I hope that everything will work out for you.:)