PDA

View Full Version : Just a question please.

catmandu
06-13-2007, 08:12 PM
Has anyone used a Humane Trap and what are some tips on how to catch a Tabby Mother?
I am going out for sardines and Ham Steak tomorrow.
Any ideas would certainly be welcomed.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v621/catmandu/cat%20photos%202/Scan10172.jpg

Karen
06-13-2007, 08:14 PM
Tuna fish is extra-smelly and that may help lure her in. I have never used a humane trap, but Paul's sister has. Tuna fish and patience ...

emilysgk
06-13-2007, 09:38 PM
I have to catch a few of the wild cats around the trailer park. I had no problems in my case, I put it right out on the porch, didnt even cover it and had a cat almost immidiatly after dark. :eek: In your case you may need to put something over it since she is used to eating there in the open. You may catch someone else also. I would only put it out when you are able to keep an eye out. If you do catch her you want to get her out as soon as possible. It can be very traumatic and sometimes they will injur themselves, so quickly getting her out would be important. Release her into a small room until someone can come get her. I remember you said someone would take her correct?

K & L
06-13-2007, 10:23 PM
Gary is she feral or tame? Will she be remaining in the trap for transporting? We use these all the time for trapping our ferals. Place a small amount of tuna or something very smelly in the back of the trap past the trip plate. Be sure to skip a feeding so she is very hungry and will want to go in for the food. Place a towel or part of a sheet over the trap leaving both ends uncovered so she can see through. Once in the trap totally cover it and this will keep her calm as much as possible. Good luck and let me know if you have any questions.

jazzcat
06-13-2007, 10:56 PM
Gary is she feral or tame? Will she be remaining in the trap for transporting? We use these all the time for trapping our ferals. Place a small amount of tuna or something very smelly in the back of the trap past the trip plate. Be sure to skip a feeding so she is very hungry and will want to go in for the food. Place a towel or part of a sheet over the trap leaving both ends uncovered so she can see through. Once in the trap totally cover it and this will keep her calm as much as possible. Good luck and let me know if you have any questions.
K&L gave me this advice when I needed to trap the momma cat and little Decker and it worked like a charm. It's great having an expert on the board!! :)

Freedom
06-14-2007, 06:59 AM
Gary, get the tuna in oil, not water. The smell will linger longer.

And you can put a little tiny bit making a trail in through the trap to get her in to the back where the pile is.

You say she is a tabby mom. Did she already have the kittens? Are they weaned? If not, do you know where the babies ARE? If you catch the mom the babies will be at risk until you scoop them up. I just wasn't sure from your post what the full situation is.

I got all my expertise from Lisa (K&L) as well!

Laura's Babies
06-14-2007, 07:47 AM
http://www.rmaca.com/trapping.html

Laura's Babies
06-14-2007, 07:58 AM
emilysgk wrote

If you do catch her you want to get her out as soon as possible. It can be very traumatic and sometimes they will injur themselves, so quickly getting her out would be important. Release her into a small room until someone can come get her

I beg to differ! That could be extreemly dangerous with a feral, if she is a true feral. The vets would rather get them in the trap, it is safer to put them under and less chance of anyone getting hurt if they are in the trap.. You NEVER want a feral in your house around your other kitties.. Only after they are vets checked and tested should you bring them inside your house and NEVER turn them loose in a room and attempt to catch them, they will shred you to pieces!... Now I am talking about 100% feral cats that you know nothing about..

Here is a good place to read how...

K & L
06-14-2007, 08:41 AM
emilysgk wrote

I beg to differ! That could be extreemly dangerous with a feral, if she is a true feral. The vets would rather get them in the trap, it is safer to put them under and less chance of anyone getting hurt if they are in the trap.. You NEVER want a feral in your house around your other kitties.. Only after they are vets checked and tested should you bring them inside your house and NEVER turn them loose in a room and attempt to catch them, they will shred you to pieces!... Now I am talking about 100% feral cats that you know nothing about..

Here is a good place to read how...

That is correct!! That's why I asked if she was feral or tame!

mruffruff
06-14-2007, 09:08 AM
Yup!

Keep them in the trap to take them to the vet. Even if the cat has to go without food for a full day, it is safer for both you and the vet.

I don't even set the trap on Friday or Saturday nights because I know I won't be able to get the cat to a vet over the week end.

You might talk to your vet before you set the trap to see if they can 'squeeze in' a feral if you do catch it.

And yes, please be sure there are no young babies that will need her while she is in captivity. It might be better to wait until the kittens (if there are any) are old enough to eat on their own.

Then scoop them up too!

catmandu
06-14-2007, 09:59 AM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v621/catmandu/catphotos978.jpg

Pawla
06-14-2007, 10:16 AM
Whose the big orange handsome boy?

moosmom
06-14-2007, 10:41 AM
Make sure when you do trap them, that you put a cover over the trap. If mama is feral, it'll keep her calm.

catmandu
06-14-2007, 01:12 PM
For Pawla the Big Felllow is Nugget Angel who was a Porch Cat for about 3 yeras until someone shot her in the face and his jaw got infected. I wish I had taken him in now fearl or not as he was a good Cat and desereved a better fate.
Two false alarms , actually three now.
One Tabby/White Big Kitten
A Black Cat Tubby 3?
And Rufus the Orange Stray who was angry as up to now the Food came without strings or traps.
As they used to say in the carnival.
Close but no cigars!!!
I reset the trap with Steak Bits!!
That should get some action.

Pawla
06-14-2007, 01:15 PM
THAT'S AWFUL ABOUT NUGGET! People can be so heartless!!! I think by the time it's over you will have caught every cat in the neighborhood! :D

Medusa
06-14-2007, 02:23 PM
I've trapped them w/a cover over the trap and w/out. Both were successful. But I did have to make sure that they were mighty hungry because, being feral, they would catch field mice, etc. So I felt awful not feeding them sometimes for 2 days but it had to be done. And I kept them in the cage for my vet because it was easier for him to handle. Good luck, Gary.

cassiesmom
06-14-2007, 03:03 PM
Here is the "back story". Just checking in... I see from the other thread that little shy girl hasn't let herself be rescued yet.

http://petoftheday.com/talk/showthread.php?t=128672

catmandu
06-14-2007, 05:48 PM
SO FAR FALSE ALARMS.
IT DOES LOOK AS THOUGH SOMEONES BEEN SLEEPIN IN THE CAT BEDS UNDER THE PORCH BUT IM NOT SURE IF ITS ROCCALANO OR RUFUS THE ORANGE.
I HAVE CAUGHT HIM TWICE NOW.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v621/catmandu/cat%20photos%202/Scan10166.jpg