PDA

View Full Version : Working nights

ramanth
06-13-2007, 11:44 AM
So far working the evening/night shift (5 p.m. to 1 a.m.) hasn't been so bad. I like having the day to spend with the pets and I especially like sleeping in.

The beginning of the term was pretty quiet, but it's steadily become busier in the past couple of weeks.

This week has been particularly.....interesting.

Sunday, a student opened one of the emergency only doors. Had to track down someone from Operations to shut off the alarm.

Monday, a student came to the desk to report that there was water leaking from the ceiling in the men's bathroom. Had to track down Operations to have them come fix it and take care of Lake Cooley forming on the floor.

Tuesday, a mentally unstable man came into the library rambling incoherently. But what we could make out was something about spaceships, Jesus, and committing a homicide/suicide. Police were called. Crisis averted.

I can only guess what today and Thursday have in store for me.

Is it Friday yet?

Cinder & Smoke
06-13-2007, 11:55 AM
This week has been particularly ..... interesting.

* Sunday ...
* Monday ...
* Tuesday ...

I can only guess what today and Thursday have in store for me.

Is it Friday yet?

:D

Variety --- the Spice of Life!

Possible book title? --- "Life in the Library"

:D

joycenalex
06-13-2007, 11:57 AM
so have you got a list of important phone #s' yet? ops and cop #1 and #2, hubby #3? :D

DJFyrewolf36
06-13-2007, 11:57 AM
Great minds think alike, lol! I posted a thread (at about the same exact time) about working nights myself. Its kind of making me nuts, yet I am enjoying it at the same time. I've had a crazy week myself...lots of police cruzing by the work zone, crimes at nearby 7-11, some guys asking us to buy cigarettes from them, being propositioned by a prostitute (I :eek:'d at that one too), and being kicked out of a parking lot for loitering while we were eating lunch...Tonight/tomorow is my Friday...then I get a mini-vacation. After a month of nights like these, I need it!

ramanth
06-13-2007, 12:03 PM
Wow! You enjoy that much needed vacation. :D

DJFyrewolf36
06-13-2007, 12:12 PM
Oh trust me I will :D

My boss is being really nice. As a temp I only get paid sick leave off, I'm not entitled to paid vacation time. He let me fill out a leave card for a "doctors appointment" on sunday night, so I get a 4 day weekend!

Kfamr
06-13-2007, 03:59 PM
Sounds like an exciting workshift you have! :eek:

I think I'd take that over the cranky people I've seen in the morning who haven't had their coffee yet. :eek:

ramanth
06-13-2007, 05:42 PM
Yikes! I wouldn't want to deal with people in the morning either! :eek: ;)

So far it's been a quiet evening..... so far. :rolleyes:

Kfamr
06-13-2007, 05:44 PM
Yeah, they can get pretty scary. :p

Hope it's a quiet throughout the night for you. What do you do anyhow?

DJFyrewolf36
06-14-2007, 08:53 AM
Sounds like an exciting workshift you have! :eek:

I think I'd take that over the cranky people I've seen in the morning who haven't had their coffee yet. :eek:

Right around 4-5 am, we get some realy crabby commuter traffic...although if I was going to work at 4 in the morning Id be pretty crabby too, especially if I encountered a work zone.

I do night pavement marking (crosswalks mostly), people complain about the crosswalks being in disrepair yet they complain when we actually go out and fix them :p

lizbud
06-14-2007, 11:45 AM
The one good thing about evening shift work is getting to sleep in mornings.
Sounds like you are responsibile for all kinds of things. :) Do you also have
a relaxed dress code for evenings?

ramanth
06-14-2007, 11:52 AM
Kay, I work at the Circulation Desk at a law school library.

Liz, the dress code is a bit more relaxed, but if I know there is a meeting or I'll be meeting with faculty, I dress up. :) Most of my attire is work casual, but I can get away with wearing jeans now and then.

Last night was sooooo quiet. I kept waiting for something to go wrong and it never did. Yay!

Looking forward to another quiet night. :D

Uabassoon
06-14-2007, 10:37 PM
Sometimes at work I get stuck with the evening shift 3:30 - 12:00 a.m. and I must say that I hate it. I'd much rather work the morning 4:15 a.m. to 12:45 p.m. shift. I think the thing I hate most is when I have two or more night shifts back to back I don't get to see Alexa at all. I'm asleep when she leaves for work in the morning and when I get home at night she's asleep. However I seem to be one of the few at work that loves the opening shift, I feel like I have my whole day to spend and when I go to bed at night it feels like I didn't work at all since I've been off for so many hours.

ramanth
06-17-2007, 06:31 PM
I agree that's the one thing that stinks the most about this shift. I don't see Andy hardly at all. :(