PDA

View Full Version : Now I'm pissed!

cmayer31
06-13-2007, 01:22 AM
So since moving onto this house my roommates and I have had numerous things stolen from the back of our trucks and from our property. I've had 4 fuel cells stolen, 2 from the jet ski trailer on the side yard, and two from the back of my truck after I loaded it for a desert trip. I know, I know...should have learned my lesson and not left anything of value outside at all. Our neighbors have also had a lot of things stolen and a neighbor across the street had his window smashed in. We've reported most of this to the police and we'll see a patrol car every now and then, but I think the bulk of the issue is the high school kids that come through our street using it as a shortcut between the main road and the schools around here.

Well last night someone finally got the nerve to try and get inside my truck, and sure enough they managed to wedge my sliding back window open :mad: . Luckily I didn't have anything in easy reach and something must have spooked them because my GPS, camera, and radio were left alone. I'm betting that my roommate who comes home around 2-3am scared them off when his headlights came around the corner and thank goodness they didn't come back.

We had a camera mounted on the front of our house, but I had to park on the other side of it where a tree obstructs view from the house. I swear I'm going to plug my truck into a 220 outlet and zap anyone who touches it, but then I'd be the one going to jail.

Anyhow, just had to get that rant out of my system. Why can't people just buy their own dang stuff and leave mine alone? :(

RICHARD
06-13-2007, 03:01 AM
Luckily I didn't have anything in easy reach and something must have spooked them because my GPS, camera, and radio were left alone. (

Man, you live dangerously!
Get someone to sleep in the truck, or buy a pellet gun.

It you catch them get soem friends to gether and have a blanket party.... ;)

wombat2u2004
06-13-2007, 04:34 AM
I caught a high school kid once who had broken into my toolbox in the back tray of my pickup......he was breaking into it in broad daylight....in a parking lot. He admitted to me that he wanted my tools to sell so he could buy cigarettes.
Nothing is safe these days....and to coin a phrase once said to me by an insurance assessor "Things these days only belong to you until someone else wants them"
That is so true.
Wom

Marigold2
06-13-2007, 06:33 AM
A pellet gun, I would have a 38 ready and loaded.
Man, you live dangerously!
Get someone to sleep in the truck, or buy a pellet gun.

It you catch them get soem friends to gether and have a blanket party.... ;)

king2005
06-13-2007, 08:02 AM
Get one of those motion sensor lights... & use crazy bright lights!!

I also found that getting a sign that says "Warning Guard Dog", works sooooo much!!!

Back home people kept trying to break into our yard, luckly I was home with the dog & scared them away... After the 3rd time, not only did I let my pissed off dog into the yard (they were in the driveway trying to open the gate) & watched them nearly poop them selves.. I printed off guard dog signs with an APT picture on it & put one on the porch, the driveway window & the back door.. NEVER had an issue after that.

Laura's Babies
06-13-2007, 08:24 AM
Leaving stuff like that out where it can be seen is asking for it! All a thief needs is temptation and that is a lot of temptation. I would have an alarm installed AND have a camera mounted outside to catch the crooks.

I know how mad it makes you to work hard to get something, then have someone come along and try to steal it. I worked 2 jobs for 2 years to get a car I wanted and someone broke into it and stole the radio and speakers. I would have killed them if I knew who did it! The car was LOCKED and they broke in it, luckly, someone came along before they did to much damage and scared them off. Insurance paid to fix it but no amount of insurance could fix my ANGER! :mad:

BY GOLLY, GET A JOB and earn what you want like most people do!

moosmom
06-13-2007, 09:08 AM
buy a pellet gun

I would have a 38 ready and loaded.

That's one sure way to get yourself killed.

Have someone sleep in the truck and call the cops to let them know you're parking the truck there. This way HOPEFULLY they'll make themselves more visible.

Pawsitive Thinking
06-13-2007, 09:48 AM
Over here that would mean you are drunk :D

I hate the "I want so I'm going to take it" mentality

IRescue452
06-13-2007, 09:32 PM
We try the motion lights, the problem is, once the theif knows where they are, they can sneak up behind them and unscrew the bulbs without the sensor catching them. We had our garage broken into a few days ago. They managed to get away with some wrenches and small tools, but didn't get any of the expensive stuff. Alarms can be fun though. I noticed the dollar tree recently carried the little ones that you slide between window and frame and are pressure sensitive to go off when the door or window is opened.

Kfamr
06-13-2007, 09:47 PM
People suck. :mad:
Want to borrow Simba? He'd be more than happy to sleep in the bed of your truck. ;)

cmayer31
06-13-2007, 10:21 PM
I've thought about sleeping in my truck, but even then I couldn't do anything other than call the police.

We do have motion sensor lights on both sides of the house, but unfortunately my truck was parked on the street, so they weren't close enough to turn the lights on. I also have an alarm on my truck, but unless the doors are messed with or the glass is broken the alarm won't go off. In this case they managed to get the rear slider window open. I'm going to get a piece of metal that will "lock" the window from being forced open again.

I was talking to a friend who owns the same truck and his was broken into the same way a few months ago. It appears that this is a very weak point on the truck and thieves know it. I do have lojack on the truck too, so if someone is brave enough to full on steal it I'd probably be able to find the remains of the truck and maybe even the thieves.

I took over one of the driveway spots and am backing the truck up against the garage for now; theres a motion detector light right above it and next to my room.

The really sad part is that the neighborhood and the street itself is a really nice area, but it's the few people who don't live here and pass through that cause the problems. Needless to say we're not all that friendly to strangers walking past the trucks anymore.

cassiesmom
06-13-2007, 10:47 PM
I'm going to get a piece of metal that will "lock" the window from being forced open again. I was talking to a friend who owns the same truck and his was broken into the same way a few months ago. It appears that this is a very weak point on the truck and thieves know it.

But, does the company that manufactures the truck know about it? That's a potential problem on every truck. I wonder if the auto insurance companies turn around and file claims against the truck manufacturer because thieves have been able to exploit a weak point.

When I first started working the third shift, the parking spot I was assigned was in an outdoor lot. It was then that I got into the habit of not leaving anything inside the car that someone else might want. Even in the trunk.

The neighborhood and the street itself is a really nice area, but it's the few people who don't live here and pass through that cause the problems.
Can you tell that to your village board? They have a vested interest in keeping the street and the neighborhood nice. I'm with Brody's mum - I hate the "I want it, so I'm going to take it" mentality too.

wolf_Q
06-13-2007, 11:03 PM
That would make me really angry too. :mad: I'm glad at least nothing was stolen. I'll never understand why people do things like that. I'd definitely get the lock for the back window.

Vela
06-13-2007, 11:29 PM
Ugh how frustrating!! I hate that mentality. I don't know why people can't just work hard and get things themselves, rather than take it from others. I know how you feel! We had a 600.00 saw stolen from our garage right after we moved in. I hope it stops happening to you, it sucks!

shais_mom
06-14-2007, 12:12 AM
I don't blame you - I would be mad too.
When I was in California last year my parents shed got broken into - my dad hadn't locked it in 30 years.
:eek:
But my Big Red Dog was a hero and chased them away ;) - they took the gas can, weedwacker, and chain saw.

Freedom
06-14-2007, 07:12 AM
Would it help to have a cover over the truck rear? I know, expensive, but in the long run it may give you some piece of mind? I never owned a truck, so I don't know the pros and cons, just tossing out an idea for consideration.

cmayer31
06-15-2007, 02:14 AM
Would it help to have a cover over the truck rear? I know, expensive, but in the long run it may give you some piece of mind? I never owned a truck, so I don't know the pros and cons, just tossing out an idea for consideration.

The cover is not a bad idea at all, and something that I've considered since owning the truck. It would definitely secure the bed and the back window. However the main reason I have a truck is for my desert toys and hauling supplies for the house. Both of these would be too big for the cover/cap. I might be selling my dirt bike, gas is too expensive, so if that happens I may put a cap/shell on it. My parents have always had a shell on their trucks, so I'm used to them and like them, but it's not practical for me at the moment.

I'm much happier now that the truck is parked on the driveway again and that it is right next to my window. I'd go right through my screen if I heard someone near either truck on the driveway. :D