PDA

View Full Version : Good child psychology books?

AdoreMyDogs
06-12-2007, 07:10 PM
Does anyone know of any baby/child psychology books that focus on behavioral issues and ways to work threw them? Quinn is not quite 4 months old and she's over-dependent on me and I'm not sure if that's normal for her age or if there's something I can do to prevent it from getting worse. Even her Nana, who watches her on occation, makes Quinn cry histaricaly. She only wants to be held by either me (preferablly me) or my hubby (in a pinch). I'd like to break her of this but not sure how, or if it's even normal and I shouldn't worry.

There's nothing in "What To Expect The First Year" about this situation and if anyone can recommend a good book that explains month-by-month the problems that might come up and ways to fix them please tell me about it.

moosmom
06-12-2007, 07:21 PM
Leslie,

Although my memory of waaaaay back when is kinda foggy, a friend of mine who just became a grandmother has a granddaughter the same age. She took a leave of absence to care for her while her daughter works. Her granddaughter is going through "separation anxiety" and was told this is perfectly normal.

Hope that helps. :rolleyes:

lizbud
06-12-2007, 07:36 PM
I think it's a normal phase of development. She's beginning to "know"
different people & faces. Mommas are the "first" familair face they know
and cling to.She will outgrow this. I relied on my Mom and Dr. Spock for
almost all my questions. :)

Vela
06-12-2007, 07:41 PM
It's normal. They outgrow it.

Lady's Human
06-12-2007, 08:52 PM
Ditto what the others said.

Axel (Now 2 1/2) went through a couple months of wanting NO ONE!!!!! but Mom. It fades after while, and you can help it along a bit by not giving in to the tantrums and crying.

Sirrahsim
06-12-2007, 09:22 PM
From what I have heard, the more attached they are to you NOW, the easier it will be for them to be independent and self-sufficient when they get older.
At the risk of sounding "crunchy" :D :p , I think that it is perfectly healthy and good for them to be attached to Mom or Dad. Tyler was very much a momma's boy when he was a baby and even though he still prefers me he is also very independent and has no problems playing by himself. I believe that his attachment to me taught him that I will be here for him no matter what so now he feels comfortable branching out because he knows that that is still true. Does that make any sense??

I'm not saying that a child that doesn't form a strong attachment doesn't learn that, but I certainly think that that attachment is beneficial :)

Riptide
06-12-2007, 09:57 PM
I'm pretty sure she'll grow out of it...my mom tells me that when I was very, very young, I was super clingy. Now, I'm almost 15, and am desperate to get OUT of the house and AWAY from my parents. :D

AdoreMyDogs
06-13-2007, 01:41 AM
I'm pretty sure she'll grow out of it...my mom tells me that when I was very, very young, I was super clingy. Now, I'm almost 15, and am desperate to get OUT of the house and AWAY from my parents. :D

Hehe I'm 31 years old and I NEVER get sick of my mom! I even think she's going to live with us for a few months to a year and I can hardly wait, and she said neither me nor my brothers were over clingy as babies.

Thanks for the advice. Since this is my first baby, all these things are new to me and I'm not sure what's normal and what's not. Although I love how much Quinn adores me, and it makes my heart swell with pride and stuff, I do hope she grows out of this so other people can appreciate how truly wonderful it is to hold her :) She has a lot of family who really love her and want nothing more then to cuddle her and hug her.

I'll try to get someone else to hold her every day, if even for just a minute.

Thanks everyone. Hey if anyone knows of any books that explain this please let me know as it'll be nice to not have to ask for advice/help every time something comes up :)

BitsyNaceyDog
06-13-2007, 08:28 AM
From what I have heard, the more attached they are to you NOW, the easier it will be for them to be independent and self-sufficient when they get older.
At the risk of sounding "crunchy" :D :p , I think that it is perfectly healthy and good for them to be attached to Mom or Dad. Tyler was very much a momma's boy when he was a baby and even though he still prefers me he is also very independent and has no problems playing by himself. I believe that his attachment to me taught him that I will be here for him no matter what so now he feels comfortable branching out because he knows that that is still true. Does that make any sense??

I'm not saying that a child that doesn't form a strong attachment doesn't learn that, but I certainly think that that attachment is beneficial :)
That's what I've heard too.

sirrahbed
06-13-2007, 09:10 AM
Leslie - do you have the LLL book? I feel pretty sure they talk about it in there. Quinn being attached to you is excellent and how it should be. Some folks even use what is called "attachment parenting" intentionally because it is believed to be the best for families. That might be something to google. Yes it is a "crunchy" concept but it works. Quinn will separate easily from you when she is ready. Letting others hold her often is a good idea. Don't worry - you are doing great :)

Cataholic
06-13-2007, 09:40 AM
What Missy said!!! Strong bonds allow for greater dependence.

sweetpatata6
06-13-2007, 07:38 PM
Does anyone know of any baby/child psychology books that focus on behavioral issues and ways to work threw them? Quinn is not quite 4 months old and she's over-dependent on me and I'm not sure if that's normal for her age or if there's something I can do to prevent it from getting worse. Even her Nana, who watches her on occation, makes Quinn cry histaricaly. She only wants to be held by either me (preferablly me) or my hubby (in a pinch). I'd like to break her of this but not sure how, or if it's even normal and I shouldn't worry.

There's nothing in "What To Expect The First Year" about this situation and if anyone can recommend a good book that explains month-by-month the problems that might come up and ways to fix them please tell me about it.

Same thing happened with my neighbor's daughter. If it is avoided at an earlier age, it is easier to break the habbit. Here's what my neighbors did. In the evening, with the mom and dad were still there, My mom and Dad would simpily hold the little girl no matter how much she cried. The mom would comfort her while my mom or dad was holding the baby. As she got used to my parents and me, then they extended the circle of doing this. When friends of theirs would come over others would hold her with breaks from mommy holding her... Hope this makes since and helps!! Now she's about 2 or 3, she's more comfortable around other people, and she still prefers to be with mommy, and is still a mommy and daddy's little girl!