PDA

View Full Version : Gestational Diabetes

sparks19
06-12-2007, 02:44 PM
Did anyone have the Gestational Diabetes test during their pregnancy? I have to go for my test sometime this week or next. Is the drink gross? lol

caseysmom
06-12-2007, 02:46 PM
I never had it, do they suspect a problem or is this routine now?

sparks19
06-12-2007, 02:49 PM
I never had it, do they suspect a problem or is this routine now?

it's routine now apparently lol. You have to drink this drink and then wait an hour and then they take a blood sample and test your blood sugar levels and they also test your iron levels.

JenBKR
06-12-2007, 02:53 PM
It's a routine test anymore. I haven't had mine yet, but my friend had hers recently. She said she got to choose the flavor of the drink, and she picked orange I think, and it wasn't too bad. She said the worst part was fasting for 12 hours. She also said that after that fasting, the drink wasn't bad at all because she was so hungry it was good to have something in her belly.

sparks19
06-12-2007, 02:55 PM
It's a routine test anymore. I haven't had mine yet, but my friend had hers recently. She said she got to choose the flavor of the drink, and she picked orange I think, and it wasn't too bad. She said the worst part was fasting for 12 hours. She also said that after that fasting, the drink wasn't bad at all because she was so hungry it was good to have something in her belly.

REally? I was told I didn't have to fast.... I just couldn't have anything that had a lot of carbs or sugar in it.

Sirrahsim
06-12-2007, 02:55 PM
Do you know the drink orange Slice? It tastes like that only flat. If you don't mind orange soda then you probably won't mind that stuff to too much. If I remember correctly it is only an 8oz serving so even if you hate it it should go down pretty easy. The most annoying thing is having to sit around in the laboratory for an hour so they can get the 2 seperate blood samples.

Sirrahsim
06-12-2007, 02:56 PM
the results will be more accurate if you fast but I suppose if you eat REALLY healthy it shouldn't mess with the results too bad :)

sparks19
06-12-2007, 02:59 PM
the results will be more accurate if you fast but I suppose if you eat REALLY healthy it shouldn't mess with the results too bad :)

Well my test will be early in the morning anyway lol so I will have fasted overnight.

catnapper
06-12-2007, 03:56 PM
Nobody I know has had any trouble, but I did have to drink that syrup last week. I spent two hours trying REALLY hard not to throuw it up. Think of drinking a bottle of orange soda without the fizzy part. Pure sweetness overload --- sticky and thick syrup.

AdoreMyDogs
06-12-2007, 04:46 PM
I think it is routine, and yeah it's gross hehe. It wouldn't have been so bad if I could have had water afterwords, but you can't eat or drink anything for an hour after the test if I remember correctly. It's so thick and sweet, and to have to taste it in your mouth and not be able to wash it down with water is kind of gross, but it's not unbearable. Not pleasant but there are worse things :)

BitsyNaceyDog
06-13-2007, 08:59 AM
I didn't have to drink that sugary drink. I had a very specific meal I had to eat an hour before the test. I can't quite remember what was in the meal- I think it was 2 eggs, 2 slices of whole wheat toast, a specific amount of juice (I can't remember what kind of juice or how much), and a specific amount of milk.

sabies
06-13-2007, 05:51 PM
I didn't get to pick a flavor but was given orange. I was real worried about having trouble getting it down but as it turned out I had no problem. I did it in the morning, after fasting, and I didn't mind the taste at all. I do have a sweet tooth and I like orange flavor, maybe that helped.

angelbow20
06-13-2007, 06:33 PM
I had to do the test and I picked the orange also, I wasnt aloud to eat anything at all the night before or a couple hours after taking it and I ended up having the gestational diabetes anyway :rolleyes: its kinda a thing that gets passed so if your mom had it there is a better chance you will... Good luck and hope everything turns out great for you.

Maresche
06-14-2007, 06:44 AM
I was told to put mine in the fridge and drink it cold. Apparently it helps with the flavor. Couldn't tell from my end. :rolleyes:

wombat2u2004
06-14-2007, 07:05 AM
Anyone want a hamburger ????
Wom

sparks19
06-14-2007, 08:19 AM
I don't think my mom had it.... she was never tested for it. If its sweet I can handle that :D lol I like orange pop.

mina'smomma
06-14-2007, 09:18 AM
I don't have to have that test until August, but it sounds like I'll have a problem because I don't like sweet things and I don't like orange soda either. (love oranges and oj, but not the soda)

sparks19
06-14-2007, 10:15 AM
I never heard of this test before.... it amazes me that there are so many different versions of it.

I have heard from some people that they even had a choice of flavour for their drink.... and someone mentioned that there was no drink but they had to eat a specific meal. Very interesting.... Ya learn something new everyday :D