PDA

View Full Version : How many cats is too many?

toughCookie
07-17-2002, 09:10 PM
how many cats do you think are too many, how many do you think it takes before someone is considered a crazy old cat lady?yesterday when I told my brother I got 2 more cats, he called me a crazy old cat lady!!LOL :eek: :D

Fuzzy317
07-17-2002, 09:18 PM
Well we have 4 cats, and 3 dogs. Your brother would call us crazy too.

toughCookie
07-17-2002, 09:22 PM
crazy, maybe, but (cat)-happy!:D

Puffin83
07-17-2002, 09:37 PM
:) :rolleyes: :p :mad:

SANDY FROST
07-17-2002, 10:51 PM
:) :eek:
TOO MANY CATS IS WHEN YOUR FRIEND LOVES MOMMY CAR TO KEEP BEING MOMMY KITTY FOREV ER AND NEVER GIVING KITTENS TO OTHER PEOPLE.
THANK GOODNESS SOMEONE I KNEW LISTENED TO HER FRIENDS. MOM
CAT IS SPAYED AND KITTENS HAVE GOOD HOMES.
Sandy Frost

Puffin83
07-17-2002, 11:10 PM
My friends Laura and Isa have 7 cats, an Amazonia frog called Hector and a rat, Ludwig! And they have other lives, they are brilliant:isa is a Metaphysical lady person doctor who knows 8 languages.....laura is a musician

krazyaboutkatz
07-18-2002, 01:09 AM
I think that it is considered too many cats when you can't take care of them and your house starts stinking because your carpet is soaked with pee. :eek: This really happened. A wealthy lady kept on rescuing cats and she must have had over 200 of them. Someone broke her window so she called the police. When they got there the smell was so bad that they had to come back with masks. Her carpet was soaked with pee and feces. They also found some dead cats. The house was also infested with fleas. :eek: Now this is way too many cats. I only have three and people think that I have too many. :)

yorkster
07-18-2002, 01:40 AM
We have 3 now. For us and the size of the house, that's enough. We also have a dog. I think if we did not have a dog, we could handle a couple more!

Former User
07-18-2002, 02:45 AM
My parents-in-law have 6 cats and in my opinion that's too much (I won't be the one telling them :o ). One of the cats sprays around the house, I had the unpleasant honour of getting my share of it.
Of course it varies what's too many for different people, some might be comfortable with 10 cats and some with only 1. Depends on the person. Never mind what others say, just take care of as many cats as you can!

toughCookie
07-18-2002, 03:19 AM
yes, thats a good answer, as many as you can care for...which in my case in 5, only 5, and its pushing it. I don't mind the work of the litterboxes, or medicine, etc, but what is hard is trying to feed them differnet kinds of food. Charlie and Patches need kitten food, Louise and Muffin need cat food, and Emma needs her diet food! and they all want what the other has! so I have to separate them! not easy...but once Emma loses some more weight ( she already went from 9.2 pounds down to 8.7! but shes still heavy for her frame) and the kittens grow up, then they can all eat the same stuff!:D

moosmom
07-18-2002, 09:28 AM
One can NEVER have too many cats. :D

I have a shirt with an old lady and a saying "If you know how many cats you have, you don't have enough."

I think that says it all!!!

On a more serious note, I think it all depends on what you can afford. Cats are a lifetime commitment and will need medical care at times as well as food. In my opinion, if you cannot afford vet bills, spaying/neutering and food, you have no business having a pet.

sasvermont
07-18-2002, 09:36 AM
I have three and don't think I will ever reach four. Three is right for me. I have a big house and a very large porch for them to play on....and that is where I keep the litter boxes, even in the winter. I have a cat door leading to the porch. (Sure hope Gabe can fit through it this winter!)

So for me, three. For someone else who may be home more often and doesn't mind shoveling cat poop for hours on end, well, they can have as many as they can afford and maintain. The Vet bills can get very heavy as well. Just buying flea treatment meds. for them is expensive. Mine is $32 a month now, with Gabe added in the mix.

If I had a huge house, I would probably breed Abys for a living, if I could. Maybe when I retire, I will give it a try.

:eek:

Gio
07-18-2002, 09:54 AM
I think that for some people even 2 can be too many, for others 10. It all depends on the situation. I think that you reach your limit when you can no longer offer the life they deserve: regular vet visits, proper food, good living conditions and some quality time with them.

I have 3 at the moment for a while, when my sister temporarily moved in with me, we had 5 and it wasn't much of a problem.

lovemymaltese
07-18-2002, 01:06 PM
Have as many that makes your heart content, as long as they have plenty of space to roam, food to eat, water to drink, toys to play with and attention, then as many as you desire.

Pam
07-18-2002, 02:23 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by sasvermont
[B]I have a cat door leading to the porch. (Sure hope Gabe can fit through it this winter!)

LOL! SAS!

I think each cat added in has the potential to upset the apple cart. As for me, my limit is two. They share their home with a dog and made a beautiful adjustment a year and half ago when Bella came to live here. At this point I wouldn't push my luck. My two enjoy each other's company and don't do any of the territorial things, like spraying or going outside of the litter box, because they are on equal footing with each other. For someone else, who is maybe a bit more of a risk taker than I am, more cats might be totally manageable. My first concern though is compatibility and then next is the financial responsibility, not to mention the added work involved in keeping things clean, etc. My two can produce enough hair in my vacuum cleaner to stuff a pillow each week! :D

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
07-18-2002, 02:27 PM
Can't wait to see what Wayne's response to this will be once he gets to Kansas and gets settle in. ;) :D

Efrat
07-18-2002, 03:13 PM
It all depands on how much you can take care of. Numbers aren't important...
My parents think I'm crazy for having four, they think I should have 4 kids instead :)

Former User
07-18-2002, 03:34 PM
Originally posted by Efrat

My parents think I'm crazy for having four, they think I should have 4 kids instead :)

:eek: :eek: :eek: having 4 kids would be crazy I'd say! :D

(no offense if someone has 4 kids)