PDA

View Full Version : Sadly, another pit bull story

Pam
06-12-2007, 07:10 AM
I am attaching a link to a story about a pit bull attack that has been on my local TV news lately. Once again it seems that the owner had no control over his dog and the dog got loose. Now there are threats being made on the victim's life if the dog should be put down.

I wish there was a way to screen potential owners of pit bulls. So many adopt them for the wrong reason. I feel so sorry for everyone in this story except the dog's owner. If my dogs ever attacked anyone (impossible to believe) I would certainly not be threatening the victim's life if they had to be put down. I would feel absolutely horrible. *sigh*

http://abclocal.go.com/wpvi/story?section=animals_oddities&id=5376721

petpsychologist
06-12-2007, 07:55 AM
Isn't it sad what so called "humans" do to those who trust and love them? Dogs feel that their human beings only whant the best for them thus they do what we want them to. Consequently in this case another human might lose a leg or an arm! Incredible how sick people can be(come).
I really hope that the victim can be treated well and doesn't have to lose parts of her body.
And i hope that someone will care for the dog in order to train him how to behave correctly and not beeing any danger for other living creatures any more.
All the best
Michael

mina'smomma
06-12-2007, 10:15 AM
That is just horrible. I use to own three pitbulls and they were nothing more than big teddy bears (unless you tried to hurt a member of our family or a child). I too wish there was a way to screen potential owners. I would never hesistate to own another pitbull. It's all in the way they are raised not so called nature of the spiecies (sp?).

You can train any dog to be mean just like you can train them to be gentle as well. I've had many dogs that were suppose to be "naturally" mean dogs and they all have been gentle unless they were protecting their family.

Catty1
06-12-2007, 11:11 AM
Update:
JUNIATA - June 11, 2007 - Just hours after Action News reported about an urgent search to find a pitbull that bit a woman, officials report the dog was handed over to authorities. The victim continues getting sicker and sicker.

The doctors are trying to control the infection, but the victim may lose her leg if they can't.

cassiesmom
06-12-2007, 11:33 AM
Why the pit bull in particular, I wonder? Have pit bull dogs always had such a "bad boy" reputation?

My parents' former next door neighbors had two Rottweilers, a mother and child -- and they were always in the back yard, never got any petting, play time or special attention. They were out there on hot days, freezing cold days, rain, snow and everything in between. We used to give them a pail of water over the fence in scorching hot weather so they would have clean water to drink. I tried talking nicely to them but they would just run along the fence and bark. That family needed the same kind of screening for potential dog owners because they would (should?) have failed.

elizabethann
06-12-2007, 11:43 AM
Let me get this straight...the owner is threatening to kill this woman if his dog is euthanized?! :confused:

Jadapit
06-12-2007, 12:15 PM
What a sad story. In almost all cases it is the owners fault when pit bulls attack. Sometimes it is bad breeding or bad genes. A pit bull should never, ever show any human aggression. When they have been bred right, they make terrible guard dogs. They love people to much. When people come to our house Ebony makes these funny woo woo sounds that is her love greeting. She loves every human she meets. That’s how a true pit bull should be. It angers me and saddens me when I read stories like these. A lady that owns and trains pit bulls has this to say about an unsound pit bull.

They do NOT tolerate unsound behavior in the breed. If their dog is unsound, and shows unwarranted human aggression, they euthanize the dog. They do not make excuses for their dog.

I agree with her 100%. Sadly, this mans pit bull did show human aggression so the dog should be put down. It would be the responsible thing for him to do. He has no right to blame what HIS dog did on the victim . I don’t understand people sometimes. You are right Pam so many people have pit bulls for all the wrong reasons. They don’t have them because they love the breed. :(

IRescue452
06-12-2007, 04:48 PM
Funny how you don't hear the story about the tennis player who recently had to skip several games because his golden retriever and german shepherd bit him. Nope, it has to be a pit bull to make headlines.

caseysmom
06-12-2007, 05:25 PM
I was thinking the same thing irrescue, I was thinking hmmm maybe I should start posting all of those stories.

Pam
06-12-2007, 06:49 PM
Funny how you don't hear the story about the tennis player who recently had to skip several games because his golden retriever and german shepherd bit him. Nope, it has to be a pit bull to make headlines.

I think the reason that pitbulls make the news is because of the type of people (sorry, but it seems to be a male macho thing in the urban areas) who adopt them. You just don't see golden retrievers or labs or shih-tzus, for example, in the inner cities being walked by these types of people. It is just sick what happens. There have been so many stories about dog fighting, etc. and pitbulls always seem to be the dogs that are used. I look at Petfinder in my area and there are always so many pitties up for adoption. I cringe when I think what their fate might be in the hands of a sick human. Why can't all people just buy a dog to love and care for and bask in their unconditional love in return. :(