PDA

View Full Version : How many cats/dogs have you had in your life?

toughCookie
07-17-2002, 08:49 PM
how many cats or dogs have you had in your lifetime so far?when I was growing up, we always had dogs, just one til she had puppies, and we kept one, so as I grew up it was her and her son, then she had more puppies, and we gave all of them away:( There was a stray cat that I fed, but it didn't stay around long:( I got a cat when I was 20, Lucy, but she disappearred a couple years later, she just never came home:( :( now 20 years later here I am with 5 cats!! I never had any pets for all those years, hard for me to believe now!

Fuzzy317
07-17-2002, 08:57 PM
Growing up I had 3 dogs (1 at a time), but I don't remember 1 of them. Since I have been with my fiancee I have had 4 dogs (3 now, 1 that we fostered), and 6 cats (4 now, 1 that we fostered).

Karen
07-17-2002, 09:02 PM
Gosh, should I count the ones I've known and loved, or just those my family - okay, my immediate family, owned?

That'd be 3 - Sheba-dog, Freckles and Gracie, for dogs when I was growing up, Cat the cat for one brief summer, did you just want dogs and cats, or do bunnies, hamsters, fishes, turtles and other critters count? How about work dogs that belonged to others, but I helped raise when at work? Ones I snuck Cheerios to? Dogs that I dog-sat? (Add one more for that during childhood, an Irish Setter rescue-dog ...)

toughCookie
07-17-2002, 09:17 PM
good question...I forgot there are other pets besides cats and dogs!:eek:

ok, all pets included!

I had some goldfish til I dropped the bowl after changing the water, and the fish flopped around, by time I got them all picked up and put back in water, they died anyway that night. :(
I was 7

I want to get some turtles and a bird one of these days.
right now I can barely handle these cats

krazyaboutkatz
07-18-2002, 01:16 AM
Okay if you include all animals then I've had one dog named Lucky. A cat named Smokey, Puff, Mitzy, Charcoal, Storm, Pepper, Sunny. 3mice, 2 rats, 3 or 4 gerbils, 3 hamsters, 2 guinea pigs, several turtles, snakes, lizards, frogs, toads, and a lot of fish. I guess you can say that there was always some kind of animal in my house. :)

yorkster
07-18-2002, 01:30 AM
Okay, this is all pets:

growing-up: 5 dogs, 3 cats, 2 hamsters, 1 turtle, many fish, and 1 seagull (YES, a seagull. He actually was a great pet- we raised him from a chick and had to teach him to fly)

adult pets: 7 cats, 3 dogs, 1 hamster

pets that I still want: another dog (we have one now), a guinea-pig, a regular pig, ducks, horse(s), & maybe a turtle. Also some type of bird too. :cool:

Former User
07-18-2002, 02:52 AM
While I was growing up, we always had dogs. Although when I was a baby, my parents had a grey tabby. After that, we had dogs, I guess 5 while I was growing. My parents gave a home to a cockerspaniel who was abandoned because of his age, he was 12 then and his owners coulnd't deal because he was dying. Yeah, he ended up living till 19 years! I remember this so well, because he used to be lovely chocolate brown, but with the years, he turned beautiful grey. Although I was a little girl when he died, I remember how much I loved that dog, and when I got my first own dog, I named him after this spaniel.

Now with my husband, we have two cats, hope to take 2 more in the furture (from a shelter).

toughCookie
07-18-2002, 03:28 AM
wow! I think krazy about kats would win the most pets contest!
but the seagull, that must be the most unusual... makes all my regular pet sound boring.

yumyum6970
07-18-2002, 06:57 AM
The only ones that really hold dear to my heart is my dog Skippy that died a long time ago back in 1987. He was black/white beagle. I still even miss him sometimes.
At the present as you know I have two cats...Yum Yum and Dutchess. A ragdoll and birman.
I know growing up we had more dogs but they were my brother's pets.

ramanth
07-18-2002, 10:02 AM
Lets see... my very first dog was Rusty, the family Irish Setter. He passed when I was 8, so I don't remember him that well.

Then we moved to the country and a neighborhood stray cat adopted us. We named him Sable. We got Sable a companion named Nike, our fluffy golden tabby. :)

Sable and Nike have since joined Rusty at the Rainbow bridge, so that leaves us with:

Cats: Reebok, Converse, Chance, Scooter, and Onneka.
Dog: Kia
Hamster: Maximus
Bird (Linn's): Austin
and an assortment of fish. :)

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
07-18-2002, 10:48 AM
We had a beagle when I was too young to remember - Skipper. The only way I know that is there is a picture of me with him, but I don't remember him at all. Then for the longest time we had no more pets, then we moved to a big house in the country. The people we bought the house from were moving into town, so they left their dog for us - Fuzzy, a sheepdog mix. Then Fuzzy died, don't remember why, just remember finding her dead one morning. The night before I was eating graham crackers and fed her some and I felt so guilty because I thought I gave her too many and the graham crackers killed her, I think I was 10. Then shortly after that my dad brought home a purebred Old English Sheepdog puppy. She was *the* cutest puppy I had ever seen and we all fell in love with her immediately. Since she was a purebred we registered her and came up with the name "Lady Fezziwig of Hanson Hill" - Fuzzy for short (evidently we liked that name ;) ). As I was an older teen and into my early 20's, we started having kittens, but for one reason or another they never lasted very long. I'm sure the busy highway nearby had plenty to do with that. Then when I moved out I had a couple of kitties, Elma who had kittens and we kept Mittens (he had the *biggest* paws and was the most adorable kitten) and one other little girl from the litter but I can't remember what we called her. She was so timid. The people downstairs had dogs and the dogs would play with her and she would just curl up in a little ball, not fight back or anything. She always ended up all full of dog drool so we always made sure to keep an eye on her when we let her out. Then I broke up with that boyfriend. He got Elma and the little girl and I took Mittens, who was subsequently killed on the highway by my moms house - I was devastated. :( He was the coolest cat, and huge! Then I was petless for a few years as I lived in apartments that didn't allow pets and finally bought a house and got Tubby shortly after that. About 2 years later I got Peanut and that's been it since then. And thankfully, here I am 15 years later with the same two who are still going strong. :) *ALMOST* got an addition to the family the other day though. Terry has a customer who keeps his kitty in the office because he has two others at home that were beating this one up all the time so he brought it to the office to keep it safe. Terry said it is the cutest, sweetest little thing - although he thinks its about 14 years old too - and he had to leave before he broke down and brought the kitty home. I said he would fit right in with our oldsters. Seems I *almost* got him to break down and go back and get him, but no such luck. Darn!

pupper-lover
07-18-2002, 11:16 AM
Cats of the Past - Mixie, Casey, Toonces (all adopted us!)
Dog of the Past - Ginger

Cat of the Present - Carley (my parents cat)
Dogs of the Present - Addie, Jake, and Cody (my family's dog)

lovemymaltese
07-18-2002, 01:01 PM
I have had three dogs, a peek-a-poo named Raskel would lived to be 17, a wired haired terrior named Snoopy who is 15 and still kicking and a maltese named Tango who is 8 and is my roommate. I have never had a cate because I am allergic to them.

lovemymaltese
07-18-2002, 01:03 PM
I forgot to mention 2 rabbits Mr. Nibbles and Nemo, and a Lutino Cockateil named Sunny, a turtle named speedy and several fish.

Efrat
07-18-2002, 03:28 PM
I had too many to count...
lets see... growing up we had 3 dogs- 1 at a time. The last one - a cockerspanial is still living with my parents. He's 9 years old now.
I also had many many cats. my first 2 were red tabbys I got from my cousin, and the rest just came along... we had a lot of them through the years, and my dog even became friends with some. .

Since I live with my boyfriend we feed all the cats in the yard so we had a lot as well.
Now we have 4 in the house and about 15 outside (spayed and Neuthered)

krazyaboutkatz
07-19-2002, 01:48 AM
I also forgot to mention that we had two mallard ducks and a squirrel also.:)

yorkster
07-19-2002, 01:55 AM
KAK, I LOVE ducks! I have always wanted a duck or 2 or 3.............:) Maybe someday.