PDA

View Full Version : Stag and Doe's

sparks19
06-11-2007, 03:09 PM
Are they a popular thing where you are? Ever heard of one before?

I only ask because I have always known them to be a very common thing where I am from and had no idea that it wasn't a common thing everywhere. No one here knows what a stag and doe is.... they don't have them and have never heard of them.

Have you?

RedHedd
06-11-2007, 04:11 PM
Um, yeah. A stag is a male deer and a doe is a female deer.

Karen
06-11-2007, 04:14 PM
Do you mean having that as labels on the men's and ladies room doors? Justone "Canadian themed" restuarant does that near here.

sparks19
06-11-2007, 04:16 PM
LOL No....

it's like a pre wedding reception. Where I am from Brides and grooms to be throw a big party to raise money for their wedding or honeymoon or house or whatever. they sell tickets and rent a hall and a dj and serve booze and have door prizes and there are usually silly games like goldfish races to play. They usually have this party a couple months before the wedding.

I had no idea that this was not a normal thing everywhere lol.

Blue_Frog
06-11-2007, 04:21 PM
It might be a Canadian thing, but I'm not sure?

I've been to a couple, and they've generally been a combo-deal of the guys stag party, and the girls wedding shower in one. Usually when its a short time between the engagement to the wedding, things like that. Mostly, we've ended up having parties, or taking over a pub -- things like that.

sparks19
06-11-2007, 04:27 PM
It might be a Canadian thing, but I'm not sure?

I've been to a couple, and they've generally been a combo-deal of the guys stag party, and the girls wedding shower in one. Usually when its a short time between the engagement to the wedding, things like that. Mostly, we've ended up having parties, or taking over a pub -- things like that.

I think it must be a Canadian thing lol.

although I have never been to one that was a combo stag party and wedding shower.... usually there are no gifts or anything like that it is strictly to raise money lol.

Laura's Babies
06-11-2007, 06:17 PM
I have never heard of it either.

king2005
06-12-2007, 10:07 AM
I mean no offence, but I busted a gut when I read what RedHedd & Karen posted :D

I thought everyone know what that was! Wow learn something new everyday :o

I've never been to one though. Not sure if I ever will get to go to one. No one I know is in that kind of relationship.

Cataholic
06-12-2007, 10:13 AM
You throw a party to raise money for yourself? Like a fundraiser or a benefit? Hmmm....that sounds odd to me, no matter what you call it.

king2005
06-12-2007, 10:21 AM
You throw a party to raise money for yourself? Like a fundraiser or a benefit? Hmmm....that sounds odd to me, no matter what you call it.

Think of it more as a fun get together party, where people leave money, or play games that involve money & give it to the soon to be wedded, so things will be a little bit easier on them. Most people use it for their honeymoon. Its not a lot of money, maybe a couple hundred $ to a grand, all depending on how many people show up... My sister gave 50.00

jackie
06-12-2007, 10:22 AM
I call them Stag and Hen parties.

It is where all the boys from the wedding party go out together, and all the girls go out together, sort of a last night of "freedom" ritual.

Loads of fun, and I would never get married without planning one (or two!)

JenBKR
06-12-2007, 10:28 AM
So is there still a bachelor and bachelorette party, or does this take the place of that? Does the bride still have a bridal shower? So, you would be expected to buy a gift for the shower, give money at the party, and give a gift/money at the wedding? :eek: I have three weddings coming up, I think I would go broke!

king2005
06-12-2007, 10:30 AM
So is there still a bachelor and bachelorette party, or does this take the place of that? Does the bride still have a bridal shower? So, you would be expected to buy a gift for the shower, give money at the party, and give a gift/money at the wedding? :eek: I have three weddings coming up, I think I would go broke!

I think the stag & doe turn it into just one big party.. or one for guys & one for girls, but they still do the same kind of party, but there is money involved

Cataholic
06-12-2007, 10:32 AM
Think of it more as a fun get together party, where people leave money, or play games that involve money & give it to the soon to be wedded, so things will be a little bit easier on them. Most people use it for their honeymoon. Its not a lot of money, maybe a couple hundred $ to a grand, all depending on how many people show up... My sister gave 50.00

LOL. I am so old. I thought Bachlorette/Bachelor parties were those last parties of singledom, where all the friends got together and drank too much.

To think that somehow I would be funding someone's wedding, unless I was the parent, is kind of crazy to me. If these people need funding, shouldn't they hook up with a financial planner rather than a spouse?

BUT, to show that I CAN change with the times, I am willing to ask for all financial contributions to be sent to my home, immediately, as I might get married one day. Please pm me for my address. :D

Edwina's Secretary
06-12-2007, 10:55 AM
I once was invited to a wedding. I was asked by another invitee if I would be giving "an envelope." She cleared up my confusion by explaining you should, in addition to a gift, give an envelope with cash to cover the cost of the dinner.

I have never been invited to a party and been asked to pass cash (small unmarked bills perhaps?? plain envelope??) to cover the cost of my entertainment.

I remain shocked....

Cataholic
06-12-2007, 11:01 AM
ES- Do I owe you money for the festivities in the summer of '04? I did eat alot.......

Edwina's Secretary
06-12-2007, 11:04 AM
ES- Do I owe you money for the festivities in the summer of '04? I did eat alot.......

Did you miss the collection plate by the back gate? ;) ;)

Cataholic
06-12-2007, 11:08 AM
Oh, Heck! I thought that was to used as my gas money back home! :o

king2005
06-12-2007, 11:10 AM
LOL

I guess its just something we do up here. You do not HAVE to give money at these functions. I know if I ever get married, I will not need any gifts, as I already own just about everything I need to live in a house (full kitchen, yay me!)... But giving $ would help out a lot... so chances are this tradition started, when people like me were getting married, so they have money parties instead of gift parties...

I hope that made sence lol

Blue_Frog
06-12-2007, 11:17 AM
Well, heres how the last couple of weddings went --

The last one had a stag-n-doe as one party, and not separate ones. The party was run by some of the friends as a way to help them raise money for the wedding -- this was our way, as their friends, to help them to get married without having to go into debt to do it. I suspect it may also be a way for either/both the bride and groom to avoid going to the 'peelers instead ;) *lol* There was limited funds for both families, and it made it easier on the bride and groom to help out.

The one before that was more of the standard turn of events - 2 bridal showers (one run by friends, and one run by family), a stagette party where everyone went out drinking, and a stag party where who only knows (or really wants to know :rolleyes: ) what the guys got up to. Both families covered most of the wedding expenses.

For me, presents are for showers. For the wedding itself, I always bring a card with money in it, generally between 100-150 each for me and my date. Help to cover the expenses and such, but not a present to the wedding. If someone told me that i needed/had to bring both a present and money to the wedding, i'd prolly tell them where to go ;)

edit: the smiley was supposed to be a rolling-eyes face aimed at what boys do at bachelor parties.

catlover4ever
06-12-2007, 11:22 AM
My husband's sister and future husband had a "Jack and Jill", sort of like a stag and doe. You had to pay for your ticket ($25.00) each person and the proceeds went to the couple to use as they saw fit.

When I got married I had a "Shower" and my husband had a "Stag".

Cataholic
06-12-2007, 11:23 AM
BF- WOW. You are a generous person, truly.

I can't really say that I am familiar with these sort of 'parties'. IMO, at a minimum, they should be encaptioned 'fundraisers'. Truly, though, these people should be rethinking their priorities. Why enter into a 'new' life when they can't afford it? There are lots of things I want, and don't want to go into debt for. New house, new car, pay off my student loans, upgrade my wardrobe, etc. But, I can't afford it. So, I wait. Or, do without. Or, modify.

To me, this is just one of the areas of trouble with today's 'youth'. (I know, I know, I am once again knocking the younger set). The entitlement theory is a tough one to survive on....

Edwina's Secretary
06-12-2007, 11:23 AM
I think there needs to be a clear distinction between Fund Raisers, Charity Balls and Celebratory Parties. I am not sure where a Gift Party fits in there.

I read in some advice column about a bride who suggested a minimum dollar value for cash contribution. And one who advised what color the guests should wear. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

You are right Cataholic....we must be old.... :D

Let's sit back in our rocking chairs and reminisce about the "good old days" when having a party meant entertaining your guests rather than counting the house. :D :D :D

A fun article about this subject ...Marriage (http://www.slate.com/id/2167299/nav/tap1/)

Blue_Frog
06-12-2007, 11:38 AM
BF- WOW. You are a generous person, truly.

I can't really say that I am familiar with these sort of 'parties'. IMO, at a minimum, they should be encaptioned 'fundraisers'. Truly, though, these people should be rethinking their priorities. Why enter into a 'new' life when they can't afford it? There are lots of things I want, and don't want to go into debt for. New house, new car, pay off my student loans, upgrade my wardrobe, etc. But, I can't afford it. So, I wait. Or, do without. Or, modify.

To me, this is just one of the areas of trouble with today's 'youth'. (I know, I know, I am once again knocking the younger set). The entitlement theory is a tough one to survive on....

Well, the way i always figured it is -- I have a few close friends, and I'd like to see them be happy in their lives. If I can afford to help them out, then i will to the best of my ability, because I care about them and their future. You hopefully only get married once, and its for both of you, but also for your family and friends to help you to celebrate your lives together -- even if they can't necessairly afford everything. Its a way to give the new couple, as well as the attendees some good memories of what is supposed to be a special and memorable event.

I'm not sure if I fall into the 'Today's Youth' set you're talking about -- quite possibly I do, but I have never felt 'entitled' to anything. I work for what I have, and I give what I can to my friends and family. But looking from the reverse thing, I have 2 parents, both very recently retired and not living together, into their pensions ... and I fully expect that I will into the future be having to help support them in some fashion. I may not be explaining what I'm trying to say very well here -- may have to think on it some more.

Killearn Kitties
06-12-2007, 11:45 AM
Blue Frog, remember that thread you posted before about people not turning up at weddings? I think I now know why. They can't afford to go to a wedding, so they try to kid on they have fled the country. ;) :D

Cataholic
06-12-2007, 11:48 AM
Blue Frog, remember that thread you posted before about people not turning up at weddings? I think I now know why. They can't afford to go to a wedding, so they try to kid on they have fled the country. ;) :D

Good point there, KK. For me, I would have to look closely at the pocketbook, and weigh the wedding 'requirements' with the mortgage 'requirements'. Thankfully for the young one, five pets, and this old person- the mortgage wins! BUT, a tastefully respectful gift would be sent. Operative word- gift. :D

Blue_Frog
06-12-2007, 11:54 AM
LOL i think you just solved the Mystery! ;)

It was more of the 'showing up to the reception and not the ceremony' thing, but this whole scenario may require some more thought... good thing I dont have any plans to be married any time soon :D

Besides, if i did, it would prolly turn into one of those 'ladder to the window and away' kind of weddings anyway!

king2005
06-12-2007, 11:58 AM
Todays youth?
Ummm thats far from the truth!

My folks married 26-27yrs ago & did the same thing, but they also were given a couple planned gifts(I have the fondu set).. I think my mom was 25ish & dad was 31ish. My uncle got married in his 30's & did the same thing.

Its not something new by far! Its either gifts or money, not both (except for a few greedy turds, but ignoring them...)

Like I said, if I ever get married, there is nothing to get us & people like to give "something" at a wedding, so instead of gifts, its money.

Thats not why people don't show up to weddings. Theres no fee, as the stag n doe, is before the wedding & you don't have to go to the stag n doe.. its an extra event... people are cheap & just want free food & free booze

sparks19
06-12-2007, 02:07 PM
LOL good lord some of these "accusations" are ridiculous. It is not a "give me money because I can't afford to be married" sort of thing. it is a big party thrown mostly for people that will not be able to attend the wedding.... most of the time no one has bridal showers anymore.... at least people I know of. No one HAS to give money... you don't HAVE to go... you aren't EXPECTED to do anything. They sell tickets to a party.... WOW so unheard of :rolleyes: LOL. You go to the party .... the bride and groom RENT a hall, RENT a DJ, and buy booze to be served at the hall. They have games you can play.... you put down .25 cents for a goldfish race.... I hope that doesn't break the bank. You buy raffle tickets for door prizes or a 50/50 draw. For example, I am donating a bottle of Vodka for a door prize at my sisters stag and doe.... all the brides maids and groomsmen are donating door prizes as well as the bride and groom.

I really don't see where this says you can't afford to get married or you need a financial advisor... that seems a little silly to assume that throwing a party where you make back the money you spent on the party and maybe a little extra means THAT. I guess it's just a difference in culture.... this is VERY normal where I come from and is a GREAT time. I'm willing to donate $10 for a great party in celebration of such an event.... especially if I am not going to the wedding.

The wedding is already paid for.... I don't think it is unheard of for a newly wed couple to raise money to help start their new life. No one is expected to do anything or pay anything.... they just DO because they love the bride and groom and like to have a good party.

But again this must just be a big difference in culture.... even though it's just across the border lol. This is a VERY common practice and a lot of time it is expected that you will throw this party.

I think most of the time they still have their individual nights out for a bachelor or bachelorette party.... this is just a party they can throw together with ALL of their friends and family.

Today's youth? LOL... that cracks me up. You see... this is not a "today's youth" type thing.... where I am from this is a tradition and has been for many many many years.... long before I was even born. I guess it's just a different tradition than you are used to and you have a hard time understanding that it is not greed that governs these parties. You certainly would not be obligated to attend.

king2005
06-12-2007, 02:15 PM
This is a VERY common practice and a lot of time it is expected that you will throw this party.

When the boys got married they didn't have a Stag n Stag party. A lot of people were mad.. Its going on 7 months & we stil hear about not having one

sparks19
06-12-2007, 02:23 PM
When the boys got married they didn't have a Stag n Stag party. A lot of people were mad.. Its going on 7 months & we stil hear about not having one

LOL I know.... I got married kind of on the fly lol There was no wedding... no reception... no stag and doe.... and all everyone kept saying is "aren't you going to have a party?" LOL

And what is considered "Today's youth"

How young do you have to be to fit into that category.... IMO, my sister does NOT fit into the "Todays youth" category lol nor did my brother when he got married and they had their stag and doe. But I am sure my father will be thrilled to know that at 60 years old he is considered "today's youth" Although I suspect he already thinks he is.... Young at heart doesn't begin to describe it lol

cassiesmom
06-12-2007, 04:02 PM
Wait, I'm confused - is a stag and doe anything like a couples' shower? The last wedding I was invited to, they had a couples' shower because both the bride and the groom had been living on their own and they both had all the things that would have been "typical" shower gifts - like a blender, kitchen items, towels, that sort of thing. It was fun! A bunch of us going to the shower knew one another, so we all went in together to buy them a Weber kettle. But the secret got out, and when the groom found out, he insisted on using it at the couples' shower. So it was sort of a shower, barbecue, garden party sort of thing. Then the following weekend they had a big garage sale to get rid of their "double" objects and gave the money to cancer research.

sparks19
06-12-2007, 04:41 PM
Wait, I'm confused - is a stag and doe anything like a couples' shower? The last wedding I was invited to, they had a couples' shower because both the bride and the groom had been living on their own and they both had all the things that would have been "typical" shower gifts - like a blender, kitchen items, towels, that sort of thing. It was fun! A bunch of us going to the shower knew one another, so we all went in together to buy them a Weber kettle. But the secret got out, and when the groom found out, he insisted on using it at the couples' shower. So it was sort of a shower, barbecue, garden party sort of thing. Then the following weekend they had a big garage sale to get rid of their "double" objects and gave the money to cancer research.

Sorta.... You don't really buy gifts or just donate money.... you buy things like tickets for admission.... pay to play goofy games and win prizes and buy raffle tickets for door prizes and 50/50 draws... and then they sell drinks for cheap. But yes since they already have a house and all their things they don't really need appliances or anything so there is really no sense in "gifts" because they already have everything lol. It's just a big party and people can choose to spend as much or as little as they want if any.

Edwina's Secretary
06-12-2007, 04:46 PM
Wow...so couples who get married in Canada already have houses and all the appliances they need! And they don't need gifts. So they have a party for which they charge admission and sell drinks.

Don't you have to have a liquor license to sell drinks?

And you don't give wedding gifts as they already have everything they need need.

Interesting two countries so close have such different customs.

Blue_Frog
06-12-2007, 04:47 PM
Sparks -- I'm sorry if what i said seemed directed towards your party, because I really didn't mean it that way at all, and my explanations probabally confused things even more for some of the folks on here.

The stag-n-doe party that I helped out with was to raise money to get some family out to the wedding who otherwise couldn't afford it so it was a little bit of a different situation, and I probablly shouldn't have used that as the explanation. The 'helping to pay' for the wedding was to get the family there, because it was important to the bride and groom, and we as their friends didn't want to see them in debt.

I've been to a couple of them as well -- like at Dave and Busters and such. Its always been a way to enjoy time with your friends, especially if your friends aren't of the same sex so wouldn't generally be invited to the stag/stagette party otherwise (yes, i know there are exceptions of course :))

So again, sorry if i made a confusing mess of what a stag and doe is supposed to be about.

lizbud
06-12-2007, 04:50 PM
Sorta.... You don't really buy gifts or just donate money.... you buy things like tickets for admission.... pay to play goofy games and win prizes and buy raffle tickets for door prizes and 50/50 draws... and then they sell drinks for cheap. But yes since they already have a house and all their things they don't really need appliances or anything so there is really no sense in "gifts" because they already have everything lol. It's just a big party and people can choose to spend as much or as little as they want if any.

I gotta say, I have never heard of these kinds of parties. I don't get the
pay to play idea for a party. Why not give them a money gift and furnish
the games, drinks, and food for free. :) It's a PARTY. :)

sparks19
06-12-2007, 05:59 PM
Wow...so couples who get married in Canada already have houses and all the appliances they need! And they don't need gifts. So they have a party for which they charge admission and sell drinks.

Don't you have to have a liquor license to sell drinks?

And you don't give wedding gifts as they already have everything they need need.

Interesting two countries so close have such different customs.

do you actually read what is written or do you just skim and come to your own conclusions?

You will clearly see I said "my sister and her fiance" already have their house and all their appliances and have had their house for quite some time so technically they do NOT need a gift registry as they already have all their appliances... again this is MY SISTER and her FIANCE.... not to be confused with all of Canada ;) this is not true for everyone and if you read.... I never said it was.

and yes you have to have a liquor license to sell liquor.... which is why you go to the LCBO (liquor control board of Ontario) and apply for a temporary license which allows you to serve alcohol from that venue for that night. It's really quite simple and they are very easy to obtain.

why is it so confusing that we perhaps have a different tradition than you do? YES in Canada (at least in Ontario) it is expected that you will likely have a stag and doe.... MOSTLY for those that cannot or won't be attending the wedding.... however many people that ARE attending the wedding CHOOSE to go to this party. But it gives a chance for ALL of your friends, family and or co workers to join in on a celebration and they buy tickets (usually in advanced).

for the most part the money raised pays for the rented hall for the stag and doe.... the booze (bought by the bride and groom).... the DJ.... etc etc..... anything extra raised they get to keep. It's not like people are duped into giving money LOL it is very clear and understood and you are not required to attend. it is just a night to party put on by the bride and groom.

Blue Frog.... no I thought you did a great job of explaining different reasons for Stag and Doe's.... They are a ton of fun though :D

Lizbud, I don't know why.... it's just how we do it in Canada (Ontario). The Bride and Groom throw a stag and doe.... the groomsmen and Bridesmaids also help in the planning for the party and usually the bridal party is introduced as the bridal party at the Stag and Doe. it's just how we do things..... they are VERY common up there. it is more common to have one than to not have one. Last one I went to.... I won one of those cool folding chairs in a bag in the prize drawing.

LOL who knew talk about a party would spark such a debate .... Like Lizbud said... it's a PARTY. And it's usually a heck of a party at that lol.... although I will not be able to partake in the alcohol but perhaps I can haul my pregnant self out to the dance floor for a song or two haha.... otherwise I will probably spend mostof my time playing the goldfish races :D

Edwina's Secretary
06-12-2007, 06:04 PM

Sorry...I missed the "my sister and her fiance" in this post.

sparks19
06-12-2007, 06:11 PM
Sorry...I missed the "my sister and her fiance" in this post.

is that the only post you read?

I clearly mention "my sisters stag and doe this weekend" more than once.

but that is neither here nor there.... seems you just have your panties in a twist about something you don't understand and if you dont' understand it you don't like it. You have come to your own conclusions about our traditions and there is nothing anyone says that will change your mind.... you don't like it and that is that. But you are missing out on one h*ll of a party ;)

this thread was not meant to start a heated debate.... it is a simple thread about a difference of tradition. is it too much to ask that a thread be taken the way it is? a light hearted question out of curiousity. Apparently it is. My mistake

I had no idea it would turn into a "youth of today" and "people are so greedy" and "if they are raising money they shouldn't be getting married they must be in tremendous debt" thread LOL it seems very silly to me that anyone would have even TAKEN the thread this way. it is a PARTY that people pay admission to.... apparently that is unheard of around these parts.... but admission to parties where the hall, dj, food and alcohol are supplied is very common where I come from... I see nothing wrong with paying an admission to a party such as this.... if you do ... well that is a whole different issue now isn't it. Where I am from a ten dollar ticket doesn't break the bank and if it does you don't attend.... no harm no foul.

Edited to add: I guess we are just a party nation :D hence this party tradition that is unheard of elsewhere

sparks19
06-12-2007, 06:33 PM
Oh and as far as I know we mostly forgo the bridal shower.... I can't ever recall going to a bridal shower or anyone even having a bridal shower.

Shelteez2
06-12-2007, 06:43 PM
I think it must be a Canadian thing lol.

Ummmm it's certainly not a Western Canada thing... I've never ever heard of that.....

king2005
06-12-2007, 06:52 PM
Ummmm it's certainly not a Western Canada thing... I've never ever heard of that.....

Hmmm maybe it is more so an Ontario thing.

Puckstop31
06-12-2007, 07:49 PM
To think that somehow I would be funding someone's wedding, unless I was the parent, is kind of crazy to me. If these people need funding, shouldn't they hook up with a financial planner rather than a spouse?

Give me a freaking break... PLEASE. The amount of money raised at these things covers the cost of all the money spent to put the thing on with a few bucks to spare...

Besides, what newly wed couple could not use a couple of extra bucks for the honeymoon?

BUT, to show that I CAN change with the times, I am willing to ask for all financial contributions to be sent to my home, immediately, as I might get married one day. Please pm me for my address. :D

With an attitude like above... I doubt it. ;) :p

Puckstop31
06-12-2007, 07:52 PM
Pulls pin on grenade....

Throws grenade. ;) :D

seems you just have your panties in a twist about something you don't understand and if you dont' understand it you don't like it. You have come to your own conclusions about our traditions and there is nothing anyone says that will change your mind.... you don't like it and that is that. But you are missing out on one h*ll of a party ;)

It ain't the first time and it won't be a the last either. Are you really shocked she overreacted to something she knows nothing about? It's like her calling card. LOL

Edwina's Secretary
06-12-2007, 08:35 PM
I clearly mention "my sisters stag and doe this weekend" more than once.

No you didn't but that is okay. I can understand how your hormones are raging and you are overly emotional. :D :D :D

sparks19
06-12-2007, 09:37 PM
No you didn't but that is okay. I can understand how your hormones are raging and you are overly emotional. :D :D :D

:rolleyes:

why must you make lighthearted threads miserable. I have asked you in the past more than once to get off your high horse and do NOT speak to me like I am stupid. You are always so snide and sarcastic... it's not very becoming of you to be honest. Lighten up.

Please untwist your panties elsewhere rather than ruining a perfectly good thread.

Thank you

Shelteez.... must be an Ontario thing I guess. Very popular tradition in my area. I was actually very surprised to find out no one around here had ever heard of it.... but then there are a lot of things around here I know as normal that people here have never heard of.... like Smarties :D and they don't call it Kraft Dinner... they call it Mac and Cheese lol

king2005
06-12-2007, 09:44 PM
:rolleyes:
... like Smarties :D and they don't call it Kraft Dinner... they call it Mac and Cheese lol

What?? Are you kidding?? How can someone not know what Smarties are? You eat the red ones last lol Doesn't everyone know that??

& ummm Kraft Dinner is call Kraft Dinner, cause it is :S It says that on the box :S

Edwina's Secretary
06-12-2007, 11:49 PM
...they don't call it Kraft Dinner... they call it Mac and Cheese lol

Now, now...calm down...we do call it Kraft Dinner!

anna_66
06-13-2007, 06:50 AM
I've never heard of these parties, but they sound fun to me. Much better than any of the bridal showers I've ever been to!

Thanks for the laugh this morning ladies...I never thought a pre wedding party could spark such a heated debate:D

sparks19
06-13-2007, 08:20 AM
What?? Are you kidding?? How can someone not know what Smarties are? You eat the red ones last lol Doesn't everyone know that??

& ummm Kraft Dinner is call Kraft Dinner, cause it is :S It says that on the box :S

Yeah .... it says Kraft Dinner right on the box :D but it doesn't here lol it says mac and cheese. I thought maybe I had three eyes the first time I said "Kraft Dinner" here lol. I was very afraid that they didn't have KD.

Yeah and here... smarties are what I call rockets. You know those little round candy things you get at halloween? They call those smarties. and they don't have crispy crunch bars or Mr Bigs or Aero's :O and the first time I asked for a washroom at a restaurant? haha that was an experience.... or asked for a Rye and coke. and don't call it a couch... it's a "Sofa" :D

And worst of all.... prepare yourself.... no poutine :(

I never knew that so many things that were so natural and normal to me were so unheard of only 8 hours away. Although I do love the confused looks I get when I do come out with something our friends have never heard of.....

king2005
06-13-2007, 08:41 AM
Yeah .... it says Kraft Dinner right on the box :D but it doesn't here lol it says mac and cheese. I thought maybe I had three eyes the first time I said "Kraft Dinner" here lol. I was very afraid that they didn't have KD.

Yeah and here... smarties are what I call rockets. You know those little round candy things you get at halloween? They call those smarties. and they don't have crispy crunch bars or Mr Bigs or Aero's :O and the first time I asked for a washroom at a restaurant? haha that was an experience.... or asked for a Rye and coke. and don't call it a couch... it's a "Sofa" :D

And worst of all.... prepare yourself.... no poutine :(

I never knew that so many things that were so natural and normal to me were so unheard of only 8 hours away. Although I do love the confused looks I get when I do come out with something our friends have never heard of.....

But, but, but Rockets say Rockets on the package :S
NO Aero's!! But how to they get the melting bubbles on their tongue??!! Poor souls :p

no poutine :eek: Really? I would die if I couldn't have a poutine.

I'm hungry now.. I think I'm gonna go to Harveys & get a Poutine, YUMMY!! But its only 9:40am, so I have to wait a couple hours, poo lol

sparks19
06-13-2007, 09:39 AM
But, but, but Rockets say Rockets on the package :S
NO Aero's!! But how to they get the melting bubbles on their tongue??!! Poor souls :p

no poutine :eek: Really? I would die if I couldn't have a poutine.

I'm hungry now.. I think I'm gonna go to Harveys & get a Poutine, YUMMY!! But its only 9:40am, so I have to wait a couple hours, poo lol

LOL I know.... my stomach is growling so loud. I am going back home this weekend.... I am gonna have a poutine if it kills me .... and it is almost like a heart attack in a bowl so it just might but GOD it would be worth it :D

Cataholic
06-13-2007, 09:45 AM
Give me a freaking break... PLEASE. The amount of money raised at these things covers the cost of all the money spent to put the thing on with a few bucks to spare...

Besides, what newly wed couple could not use a couple of extra bucks for the honeymoon?

With an attitude like above... I doubt it. ;) :p

Well, why hold my breath? You are already taken.

As stated, I could use a few bucks, too. Please, forward the money to me. Though, it does feel uncomfortable to ask for money....seeing that you are not a bank or other credit extender. But, if others can ask, and feel no shame, sign me up!

sparks19
06-13-2007, 09:53 AM
LOL well Jeez Maybe I shouldn't include a gift registry for my baby shower.... I would hate for people to think they are funding my baby and that I need a financial advisor instead of a baby lol.

But if you really feel that strongly about friends throwing a party and supplying the alcohol, food, dj, and hall and prizes and simply inviting you to a party that has an admission charge.... well I can't imagine how you would feel if you were expected to produce a gift for a birthday, shower, or other occassion. I am just glad that my friends and family are not so caught up in the "well I already gave you this....." idea. To me THAT is the selfish way of thinking not the other way around. It is an invite to a party.... you can choose not to purchase a ticket... but many people that love the bride and groom are more than happy to fork out a whopping ten bucks to have a great party and willingly spend a couple bucks to help them start their life even if they dont'[ need the help.... they aren't caught up on keeping track of how much support should or shouldn't be given.... I guess that is the difference in "youth today" (even though it's been a tradition around my area for many many many many years) we are just more willing to offer what we have even if it's not required.

Cataholic
06-13-2007, 09:56 AM
Whatever gets you through the day.

Pawsitive Thinking
06-13-2007, 09:57 AM
We have stag nights and hen nights which are usually arranged for the same evening and involve copious amounts of alcohol and bad behaviour on both sides :D

The only money involved is the amount that is handed over the bar

DJFyrewolf36
06-13-2007, 10:06 AM
Parties are expensive propositons...at least they are here.

First you have to rent a venue that allows drinks to be served/consumed on the premisis. This is a HUGE deal and usually results in an increase in the rental fee. Second, Im sure a temporary liquer licence in Canida costs some money and third even the cruddiest of entertainment will want some compinsation for thier time. I don't concider it a strech to charge admission to cover the cost especially if the couple is organizing this on top of the rest of the standard wedding hooplah.

Sounds like a fun tradtion to me...and one worth paying for if the couple put on a good show ;)

sparks19
06-13-2007, 10:15 AM
Parties are expensive propositons...at least they are here.

First you have to rent a venue that allows drinks to be served/consumed on the premisis. This is a HUGE deal and usually results in an increase in the rental fee. Second, Im sure a temporary liquer licence in Canida costs some money and third even the cruddiest of entertainment will want some compinsation for thier time. I don't concider it a strech to charge admission to cover the cost especially if the couple is organizing this on top of the rest of the standard wedding hooplah.

Sounds like a fun tradtion to me...and one worth paying for if the couple put on a good show ;)

THANK YOU.... I'm so glad someone GETS it. I didn't really think it was that far of a stretch to see how much money goes INTO throwing these events in the first place that they even charge admission. it's not like they are making thousands and thousands of dollars off of these parties haha. Basically.... it is just another excuse to party and we are always looking for an excuse to do that where I come from :D But yes there is a HUGE amount of planning and personal expense that goes into these parties.... for the most part they make back perhaps slightly more than what they forked out.... so those that are in need of financial assistance would not be throwing these parties.

And you are usually guaranteed a good show at the stag and does..... the booze is sold for cheap so some people tend to indulge which leads to some pretty interesting activities taking place :D

Brody's mom.... are you admitting to some bad behaviour on your side? ;) I always loved the bachelorette parties where the bride to be has a list of silly tasks to complete.... like ask a stranger for a condom lol

lizbud
06-13-2007, 10:23 AM
Well, why hold my breath? You are already taken.

hee hee :D :D

DJFyrewolf36
06-13-2007, 10:27 AM
THANK YOU.... I'm so glad someone GETS it. I didn't really think it was that far of a stretch to see how much money goes INTO throwing these events in the first place that they even charge admission. it's not like they are making thousands and thousands of dollars off of these parties haha. Basically.... it is just another excuse to party and we are always looking for an excuse to do that where I come from :D But yes there is a HUGE amount of planning and personal expense that goes into these parties.... for the most part they make back perhaps slightly more than what they forked out.... so those that are in need of financial assistance would not be throwing these parties.

And you are usually guaranteed a good show at the stag and does..... the booze is sold for cheap so some people tend to indulge which leads to some pretty interesting activities taking place :D

Brody's mom.... are you admitting to some bad behaviour on your side? ;) I always loved the bachelorette parties where the bride to be has a list of silly tasks to complete.... like ask a stranger for a condom lol

I work with event promoters on a regular basis, and i've seen many a promotor go into the red substantially throwing a show that had an attendence of over 200 people that ALL paid admission. Parties never really make money, its just about providing a good (and safe ;) ) time no matter what the occasion.

sparks19
06-13-2007, 10:31 AM
I work with event promoters on a regular basis, and i've seen many a promotor go into the red substantially throwing a show that had an attendence of over 200 people that ALL paid admission. Parties never really make money, its just about providing a good (and safe ;) ) time no matter what the occasion.

WOW.... and unless you know A LOT of people.... you are probably not going to have 200 people at your stag and doe lol.

That must be kinda cool working with event promoters.... all kinds of events? or do you work with a specific type of event promoter?

DJFyrewolf36
06-13-2007, 10:40 AM
I DJ electronic music (mostly trance type stuff) so I work with "rave" promoters. I put rave in quotes because the stereotype (perpetuated by people being idiots I will admit) doesn't apply to the shows I'm involved with. There is a big emphasis on safety and responsiblilty, although sadly these two things rarely make a promoter money as this requires the show to be properly permitted and usually a security company is hired (not cheap at all!)

200 is about the average attendence for a party although the event I'm hitting this weekend has an expected attendence of over 500 people (paying 20-40 dollars a piece, depending on when they got their ticket) and the promoter has a good shot at not breaking even. Again though, its about having a good and safe time, not about the money.

Sorry about getting off topic :D

Puckstop31
06-13-2007, 10:46 AM
As stated, I could use a few bucks, too. Please, forward the money to me. Though, it does feel uncomfortable to ask for money....seeing that you are not a bank or other credit extender. But, if others can ask, and feel no shame, sign me up!

You are so funny... Lighten up a little, eh?

It is a tradition. Nobody forces a person to purchase stuff at these events, but they generally do. Why? Because they are friends and family of the bride and/or groom and WANT to help them start their new lives.

What is so freaking difficult to understand about that?

Puckstop31
06-13-2007, 10:50 AM
Whatever gets you through the day.

Before I respond to this... I want to fully understand what you might mean here. Are you saying that by doing this a person or couple is not financially responsible?

If that is not it, please elaborate.

Puckstop31
06-13-2007, 10:55 AM
hee hee :D

Meh... I don't blame her for being jealous.... LOL To bad there is not more of me to go around. :p :D

But, I do fully admit that I am blessed beyond words to have the wife I do. We are a great team and are a couple in every sense of the word. Of course it is not perfect, but it is darn close. We are married now almost two years and have endured a great deal. She is truly my soul mate and I thank God everyday for blessing me with the most amazing wife I could ever dream of.

Cataholic
06-13-2007, 12:08 PM
LOLOL. Oh, Puckster....no one, especially you, needs to tell ME to lighten up. This is all pretty hysterical to me. BUT, that might be cause I am not blissfully wedded to you!

:D

sparks19
06-13-2007, 12:08 PM
Meh... I don't blame her for being jealous.... LOL To bad there is not more of me to go around. :p :D

But, I do fully admit that I am blessed beyond words to have the wife I do. We are a great team and are a couple in every sense of the word. Of course it is not perfect, but it is darn close. We are married now almost two years and have endured a great deal. She is truly my soul mate and I thank God everyday for blessing me with the most amazing wife I could ever dream of.

And humble too.... LOL how did I get so lucky :p

and by the bolded statement he means "She doesn't clean" haha. He dyed the laundry pink once... but I will NEVER complain because if I do.... I will have to do the laundry lol and God forbid that happen :D He really takes good care of me.... I couldn't have asked for a better wife... er... husband teehee. ;)

DJFyrewolf36, I guess I should have figured out you were a DJ by reading your name ha talk about a blonde moment. That sounds cool.... but I imagine being an event promoter could be a pretty stressful job.... you really gotta promote the heck out of those things to get your money back.

Puckstop31
06-13-2007, 12:15 PM
LOLOL. Oh, Puckster....no one, especially you, needs to tell ME to lighten up. This is all pretty hysterical to me. BUT, that might be cause I am not blissfully wedded to you!

Especially me!! Sweet, I made an impression.

Just for the record, I am not the only one, by far, who thinks you blow just about everything out of proportion. FWIW....

Cataholic
06-13-2007, 12:31 PM
Especially me!! Sweet, I made an impression.

Just for the record, I am not the only one, by far, who thinks you blow just about everything out of proportion. FWIW....

Yeah? Yeah? Well. My dog can pee bigger than your dog, too!

LOLOL. I can't remember who says this on here (I think Donna), but:

PUH-LEEZE!

We can blame your wife's comments on hormones. Not sure WHAT we can blame yours on.

sparks19
06-13-2007, 12:32 PM

Perhaps if you were you wouldn't get so up in arms about everything.... least of all a party ;) It's meant for fun... you should try it sometime.

sparks19
06-13-2007, 12:34 PM

PUH-LEEZE!

We can blame your wife's comments on hormones. Not sure WHAT we can blame yours on.

and what can we blame your attitude on?

and no need to blame my comments on anything.... my comments are my own and hormones or not rest assured I say what I mean and mean what I say... no need to place blame anywhere because it's all me.

DJFyrewolf36
06-13-2007, 12:34 PM
And promoting carries the risk of attracting the wrong crowd...so there is a fine balance to it all.

LOL on the subject of husbands, I work 10 hr days in a butt busting construction job and the hubby cleans (and does a darn good job, I guess Im lucky to have a MIL thats a housekeeper) and cooks. I usally have my lunch and dinner made for me. I couldn't ask for anything better myself :D

Puckstop31
06-13-2007, 12:50 PM

PUH-LEEZE!

Hey, don't shoot the messenger sweet thing. And don't take it just from me... Ask around.

And how like you too look for blame.

sparks19
06-13-2007, 12:55 PM
And promoting carries the risk of attracting the wrong crowd...so there is a fine balance to it all.

LOL on the subject of husbands, I work 10 hr days in a butt busting construction job and the hubby cleans (and does a darn good job, I guess Im lucky to have a MIL thats a housekeeper) and cooks. I usally have my lunch and dinner made for me. I couldn't ask for anything better myself :D

Yes I would imagine they REALLY run the risk of the bad crowd because of those "idiots" that think all Raves are drug parties etc etc. That has to be a tough thing to promote correctly.... stressful I would imagine lol.

awww you have such a good hubby it sounds like.... I really think my hubby is the better cook in the household. He is a fabulous cook....but I have been known to tear it up in the kitchen every now and then lol. But God bless him for putting up with me because I hate to clean so he usually does it.... we have a running joke that whenever we go to a hotel my luggage barfs all over the room after being there for 5 minutes.... I really know how to occupy a space haha

DJFyrewolf36
06-13-2007, 01:07 PM
I have that bad habit too...you should see my computer desk :D

Today after work, the hubby complained at me "My chair is NOT an end table"
Absent minded me set my lunch stuff on his seat and then wandered off to do something else :o

I swear Im not messy, Im just a scatterbrain!

sparks19
06-13-2007, 01:23 PM
I have that bad habit too...you should see my computer desk :D

Today after work, the hubby complained at me "My chair is NOT an end table"
Absent minded me set my lunch stuff on his seat and then wandered off to do something else :o

I swear Im not messy, Im just a scatterbrain!

HAHAHA I love that.... you should see my dining room table. I just throw everything on there. I am messy AND a scatterbrain. But ask me where something is in that mess and I can pull it out in seconds haha.... just because it's messy does NOT mean I dont know where stuff is :D

king2005
06-13-2007, 01:44 PM
.... just because it's messy does NOT mean I dont know where stuff is :D

Isn't it funny how that works??

I'm the same way.. I remember where everything is, in a mess... creepy at times lol

Sevaede
06-13-2007, 03:30 PM
Messy (comfortable? :o) gals and husbands who are great cooks! There should be a club. :D

My husband is a fantastic cook. It is definitely one of his fortes (pronounced FORT not FOR-TAY, look it up in the dictionary as he would say ;) ). :D I, mostly, just bake. I like to make cookies, cakes, and anything else that is pretty bad for you. :D He knows how to make some REAL food, though. Mmm.. Blackened chicken (*drool*), black eyed peas, corn bread, baked mac n cheese.... mmmm... :D:p:D

JenBKR
06-13-2007, 03:37 PM
Can any of your husbands teach mine how to cook? I'll send him our for lessons :D

It is definitely one of his fortes (pronounced FORT not FOR-TAY, look it up in the dictionary as he would say ;) ).

Sorry couldn't resist:

forte [fawrt, fohrt or, for 1, fawr-tey] Both the one- and two-syllable pronunciations of forte are now considered standard.

–noun 1. a strong point, as of a person; that in which one excels: I don't know what her forte is, but it's not music.

lizbud
06-13-2007, 05:51 PM

Johana, do you feel all quivery now? :eek: Are you afraid yet? :D

I find Puck always uses this line on someone he really wants to shut up and
agree with him. Is it working yet? :D No...... well I didn't think so. :)

Cataholic
06-14-2007, 08:45 AM
Johana, do you feel all quivery now? :eek: Are you afraid yet? :D

I find Puck always uses this line on someone he really wants to shut up and
agree with him. Is it working yet? :D No...... well I didn't think so. :)

It left me speechless, for about the nano-second it took to read it. If only he knew...if only he knew...LOL.

sparks19
06-14-2007, 09:10 AM
It left me speechless, for about the nano-second it took to read it. If only he knew...if only he knew...LOL.

The same could be said in reference to you.... it wasn't said to "scare" you..... it was simply to point out that others have certainly noticed the p!ss poor attitude. I mean when you get uptight over talk about a party..... you might be overreacting JUST a smidge.

Cataholic
06-14-2007, 09:35 AM
The same could be said in reference to you.... it wasn't said to "scare" you..... it was simply to point out that others have certainly noticed the p!ss poor attitude. I mean when you get uptight over talk about a party..... you might be overreacting JUST a smidge.

Look, I can't be any more direct. I could not care any less what you OR your husband thinks of me anymore than I would some drunk that I see on the street corner.

I am not overreacting about anything. BUT, to not comment on it when you asked for an opinion? Hah. If you don't want to know, don't ask. Simple, dimple.

What I should have put, originally, was this: I think anyone that asks for money in this context is classless and without taste, manners or decorum. BUT, I don't know people like this, IRL, so, I really don't care. Do it. Invite all your friends!

Get on over yourself. Preggo or not, you are so ODD!

sparks19
06-14-2007, 10:14 AM
Look, I can't be any more direct. I could not care any less what you OR your husband thinks of me anymore than I would some drunk that I see on the street corner.

I am not overreacting about anything. BUT, to not comment on it when you asked for an opinion? Hah. If you don't want to know, don't ask. Simple, dimple.

What I should have put, originally, was this: I think anyone that asks for money in this context is classless and without taste, manners or decorum. BUT, I don't know people like this, IRL, so, I really don't care. Do it. Invite all your friends!

LOL YOu crack me up....

No one said you should care.... and you really shouldn't. I am not naive enough to believe that everyone everywhere will like me nor will I lose any sleep if they don't.

And for the record I didn't ask for an opinion.... I asked if it was ever heard of where you are from because I thought everyone had them and that it was not just an Ontario thing. I didn't not ask for a b!tch fest about what you think about it. I simply wanted to know if you have ever heard of one.... simple as that... apparently not so simple for you. It seems that you and your band of not-so-merry men only come to p!ss and moan about stuff.... nothing lighthearted ever comes out on here from you.... hence your reputation for over reacting to threads that are meant to be fun. If you want to complain and be miserable.... do so in your own threads. Don't ruin a perfectly good party thread because you are grumpy.

Many people were able to carry on this thread with good humor and fun (which was it's intention).... it's too bad you missed out on that.

Edwina's Secretary
06-14-2007, 10:24 AM
It seems that you and your band of not-so-merry men

Cataholic...do you have a band of men you haven't been telling me about??? Oh please do dish! :D :D :D

sparks19
06-14-2007, 10:26 AM
Cataholic...do you have a band of men you haven't been telling me about??? Oh please do dish! :D :D :D

Perhaps I should correct myself and say "band of not-so-merry women" but I figured men was easy enough to figure out ;)

Cataholic
06-14-2007, 10:39 AM

It is so VERY lovely that I have kept it all a secret! Nights of dancing, days of lounging....ah....a band of VERY merry men :)

Pawsitive Thinking
06-14-2007, 10:48 AM
It is so VERY lovely that I have kept it all a secret! Nights of dancing, days of lounging....ah....a band of VERY merry men :)

Where do you find the energy?

Edwina's Secretary
06-14-2007, 10:57 AM

And you can tell men from women! Well done! :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :D :D

Cataholic
06-14-2007, 11:05 AM
Yup, see? I have had a real man to compare to!!! :D

lizbud
06-14-2007, 11:24 AM

:D Who is it that has a saying in their signature line about canada,
I think. :confused: "Where the odds are good, but the goods are odd" ?

It's always given me a chuckle.

Glacier
06-14-2007, 11:33 AM
:D Who is it that has a saying in their signature line about canada,
I think. :confused: "Where the odds are good, but the goods are odd" ?

It's always given me a chuckle.

That's kuhio. It's about Alaskan men!

I think these parties are mainly an Ontario thing. I've lived in Saskatchewan, Alberta and the Yukon--never heard of them. A stag around here is the engaged guy and all his buddies getting together for a big drunken party. I had a stagette--which was far more fun than any bridal shower I've ever attended! I've got the pictures to prove it and no, you can't see them! :p

Sevaede
06-15-2007, 04:07 AM
Can any of your husbands teach mine how to cook? I'll send him our for lessons :D

Sorry couldn't resist:

forte [fawrt, fohrt or, for 1, fawr-tey] Both the one- and two-syllable pronunciations of forte are now considered standard.

–noun 1. a strong point, as of a person; that in which one excels: I don't know what her forte is, but it's not music.

Heh, got it! :D I used to say for-tay and hubby would always say "It's fort! Foooort!" XDD :D

Cataholic
06-15-2007, 08:34 AM
I didn't know that about forte! I can't say I have ever heard someone pronounce it as fort...but, now, I can say when I do, I won't correct them!! :D

Cinder & Smoke
06-15-2007, 09:24 AM
I had a stagette --
which was far more fun than any bridal shower I've ever attended!

I've got the pictures to prove it and no, you can't see them! :p

OMG! :eek:

Our Yukon Girl has a PAST!

popcornbird
06-15-2007, 12:03 PM
This thread is making me laugh.

To begin with, nope, I have never in my life heard of anything called 'Stag and Doe's' (besides the deer of course).

Second, I'm with the people who think its ridiculous.
Most people get married. Its a new phase in life. You go from single-hood, to becoming a couple, to starting a new home, new family, etc. HOWEVER, it IS a part of life for most people, and though it is a big deal, getting married, its not SUCH a big deal that one would need odd parties like this. :p

My idea of a wedding? Have a ceremony, then a reception where you invite family/friends. Loved ones bring gifts, or money, or gift cards...whatever, for the couple.

I never had to host a party to get money to help me start out my life before my wedding. I never had to ask for money, or anything. I did not work, and my hubby had only JUST started working full-time. The only thing we requested on our wedding invitation cards was that we get no 'boxed' gifts...only for the reason that if 200 people bring boxed gifts, it would be VERY difficult to take them home after the party, AND...you might get 10 or 15 of the same thing. Most of the guests brought either gift cards or money, and some brought jewelry. I did get some lovely boxed gifts from very close friends, but they came and brought it home for me before the party. Very thoughtful of them. We never asked for money, or hosted a party for money, and would've been fine and happy with our wedding even if everyone brought nothing, however, we got about $7000 cash in gifts, and $2000 worth of gift cards. :eek: I was SO not expecting that, but with all my aunts and uncles overseas sending $500 each, it all added up.

My point in saying this is only that, You do not need to host such a party where everyone is 'expected' to bring money. If you are in need, God will provide for you. We didn't need, want, ask for money, but God still provided us with it, through the kind and thoughtful hearts of our family and friends. I'm not a person who likes taking money from people or expecting money from people. If someone gives as a gift with no expectations from the other side, it warms one's heart. If someone gives because they're expected to, or because 'everyone's giving'...I'd rather not have such money at all. I don't like the idea for two main reasons. #1. It looks like you're asking for money. #2. I get sick and tired of parties and all the work that goes along with it, so for a wedding, the ceremony and the reception are more than enough. Selling tickets to friends to attend your party? That is just soooo funny to me.

That being said, to each his own. I had never heard of such a party, and don't care about it either way. Whatever makes you happy. :p

sparks19
06-15-2007, 12:03 PM
I had a stagette--which was far more fun than any bridal shower I've ever attended! I've got the pictures to prove it and no, you can't see them! :p

Do you have Bridal showers out there? I really can't ever recall anyone I know having one lol.

and that sounds scandalous ;) At my step sisters bachelorette party I made every guy sitting at the bar buy her a flower for her last night lol.

Is it common where you are to have the bachelorette party the night before the wedding? it seems to be quite common with people I know lol and seems like a less than stellar plan.... I have seen more than one bride walk down the aisle with a hangover lol. of course the groom is not in any better shape. Some people have gotten wise and planned it for the weekend before lol.

But more often than not.... the stag and doe money results in an open bar at the reception. Of course I will not be partaking in any of that.... but I'm sure I wouldn't have broke the bank with my water on the rocks that i will be drinking all night LOL

Popcornbird.... it is not that they NEED the money.... and they rarely make anything more than perhaps a few hundred bucks.... more than anything it is really just an excuse to have a party (which we are always looking for an excuse up there lol) and to make your money back for all the money you put into the party.... and if you do make any money at all it usually goes towards having an open bar at the reception with the weddings I have been to. by the time you have the stag and doe the wedding is usually already paid for if you are budgeting correctly..... but in most cases of the weddings I went to they already had a home that they had been living in for quite some time..... my brother and his wife still live in that same home 10 years and 4 kids later.... they are in need of a new house though since I think they have made all the additions they can(home wise and family wise lol). They couldn't have fit more stuff (gifts from the wedding) into that house at the time and I really don't know how they manage to fit enough stuff for 4 kiddies in their either..... but all the money they received went towards alterations on the house for their impending family (it started out as a one floor house with two bedrooms, a kitchen, a living room, and a bathroom.... it is now a 4 bedroom house with a living room, a family room, bathroom and kitchen. but the house is still the same size.)

but it's mainly a party for everyone that will not be at the wedding or reception.

Kfamr
06-15-2007, 12:32 PM
What I find ridiculous about this thread, not the idea of a "Stag and Doe party", the fact that two people who have been here a little over a year are make such statements about two members who have been here for YEARS.

Three letters for you... WTF?!?

sparks19
06-15-2007, 12:41 PM
What I find ridiculous about this thread, not the idea of a "Stag and Doe party", the fact that two people who have been here a little over a year are make such statements about two members who have been here for YEARS.

Three letters for you... WTF?!?

AH.... I see.... how long does it take to get to "know" some of these members.... you see this isn't the first time an issue has arisen. and these so called established members have been the force behind many people leaving the board....

I don't think amount of time here means you can be rude and not have anyone say anything about it.

Note to new members.... LOL you can be accused of being many things.... but don't you dare accuse the long standing members of being those things because they have tenure.

LMAO that's a good one. I guess the key is to be passive aggressive when you are being a jerk... and no one will figure it out.

Cataholic
06-15-2007, 12:45 PM
Make no bones about it. I am not passive about anything.

All I wanna know is this: is my "band of merry men" larger than this "secret society of haters" I have? LOL.

Anytime anyone resorts to the type of comments you and Pukestop make, you just know you are making stuff up. People see through it, and it is kind of funny.

Now, go start another fifty threads, would you?

Kfamr
06-15-2007, 12:45 PM
AH.... I see.... how long does it take to get to "know" some of these members.... you see this isn't the first time an issue has arisen. and these so called established members have been the force behind many people leaving the board....

I don't think amount of time here means you can be rude and not have anyone say anything about it.

Note to new members.... LOL you can be accused of being many things.... but don't you dare accuse the long standing members of being those things because they have tenure.

LMAO that's a good one. I guess the key is to be passive aggressive when you are being a jerk... and no one will figure it out.

I believe it's time to grow up? There's no reason for you to be a jerk to me.

I'll remember next time that I am not allowed to express my opinion on you and your oh-so-perfect husband ganging up on someone. I'd also like to know who the heck these "other people" are.

Having personally met and visited Johanna and her darling son's home, I don't believe you OR your husband have one single clue about her.

Cataholic
06-15-2007, 12:49 PM
As I am loathe to point out...and, it is usually the same, go back and re-read the printed word...it is usually the dynamic duo that starts the crap.

sparks19
06-15-2007, 01:01 PM
LOL YAWN....

Well when you see threads about "Where is so and so" and it is usually followed by "they decided to leave the board" Which particular members do you think are responsible for making those members feel that they have to leave?

I can think of at least three in the past month or so that were bullied into leaving (at least one returned due to popular demand) by some certain members. and a clique that takes it upon themselves to "investigate" members to point out all their discrepancies and then just embarrass and belittle them until they reach their breaking point and leave. it is like their mission in life to do away with these members.... two of which were dear friends of mine and contributed to the board in many ways. They just rubbed this clique the wrong way and they paid the price for it.

caseysmom
06-15-2007, 01:05 PM
Not sure whom you are referring to but there have only been a few members banned and one of those was a few months ago, and that person was caught in a blatant lie, do you condone that?

Cataholic
06-15-2007, 01:06 PM
You REALLY need to keep in mind that this board is a WRITTEN form of communication.

See? First, you said it was ME!! Lil old ME that caused all these people to leave, and people were saying things behind my back, LOL, or, was that Pukestop? Truly, you two run together like some form of melted substance, tripping over one another to pat each other on the back, sing the praises, etc. I sometimes wonder if it isn't all done to either cover up the fact there is really only one of you (but, multi personalities), OR, to convince yourselves of your state of happiness.

NOW, it is others, not me, and it is all within the last month.

As I said before, Get over yourself. If you don't want people's opinions, stay in your cave.

Don't start crap you have no intention of finishing. Wanna call me out? Go right ahead. But, please do not expect me to back down.

BC_MoM
06-15-2007, 01:09 PM
Can we all grow up now? This is getting old.

caseysmom
06-15-2007, 01:09 PM
And Johanna not sure why you let hubby get away with calling you sweet thing :mad:

Kfamr
06-15-2007, 01:11 PM
LOL YAWN....

Well when you see threads about "Where is so and so" and it is usually followed by "they decided to leave the board" Which particular members do you think are responsible for making those members feel that they have to leave?

I can think of at least three in the past month or so that were bullied into leaving (at least one returned due to popular demand) by some certain members. and a clique that takes it upon themselves to "investigate" members to point out all their discrepancies and then just embarrass and belittle them until they reach their breaking point and leave. it is like their mission in life to do away with these members.... two of which were dear friends of mine and contributed to the board in many ways. They just rubbed this clique the wrong way and they paid the price for it.

And is there really a need for you to belittle myself and my opinions with your "LOL YAWN" comment? I've done nothing to you.

As I said, time to grow up here. If someone is really pushed to leave the board all together because of a particular "clique" as you've mentioned, then it's really time for them to find help. There are ignore options for a reason.

Tell your dear friends to suck it up and move on with life.

Cataholic
06-15-2007, 01:11 PM
And Johanna not sure why you let hubby get away with calling you sweet thing :mad:

Just as long as it isn't sweet YOUNG thang! :D

Truly, I consider the source....

Karen
06-15-2007, 01:15 PM
All right, everyone , time to grow up a little. This is Pet Talk - treat each other with respect, please - old or new, everyone should remember that.

And no, we don't have that kind of party here, we have bridal showers and every once in a while someone will have a bachelorette party seperately, to which just the bride and friends - not the whole panoply of relations et al that is invited to a shower - attend.

sparks19
06-15-2007, 01:20 PM
And no, we don't have that kind of party here, we have bridal showers and every once in a while someone will have a bachelorette party seperately, to which just the bride and friends - not the whole panoply of relations et al that is invited to a shower - attend.

And what exactly goes on at a Bridal shower? I really have never been to one or heard of anyone having one....is it like they show in the movies? They get inappropriate gifts ;) and other things?

Basically is it like a baby shower minus the baby (in some cases)?

See I don't think we usually have those.

And have you ever heard of.... I can't think of the name.... but while the bride and groom are on their honeymoon their friends go in and decorate the house all over in hilarious themes?

JenBKR
06-15-2007, 01:26 PM
I haven't always agreed with all of the opinions of some of the older members on here (not as in age older, but who have been around for a long time), and I think I have even gotten into some heated discussions with a few of them in some threads. However, I have a lot of respect for them and even though we may not always see eye-to-eye, I have never felt unwelcome here. I honestly can't imagine Johanna or anyone else pushing someone to the point of leaving the board. She is not afraid of voicing her opinion, and I greatly respect her for that.

BC_MoM
06-15-2007, 01:29 PM
And what exactly goes on at a Bridal shower? I really have never been to one or heard of anyone having one....is it like they show in the movies? They get inappropriate gifts ;) and other things?

Basically is it like a baby shower minus the baby (in some cases)?

See I don't think we usually have those.

We have bridal showers in Manitoba. :p
And stags and does.. we have pretty much everything.

sparks19
06-15-2007, 01:36 PM
We have bridal showers in Manitoba. :p
And stags and does.. we have pretty much everything.

Do you have these :D

And have you ever heard of.... I can't think of the name.... but while the bride and groom are on their honeymoon their friends go in and decorate the house all over in hilarious themes?

LOL I am starting to think any excuse is a good enough excuse to throw a party back home.

throwing a party for any occassion is just expected darn it.... and if you aren't gonna have a party you better have a good reason :D I'm starting to think we are all just a bunch of drunks in training :eek:

Is a bridal shower and a Champagne brunch similar?

king2005
06-15-2007, 01:56 PM
I'm starting to think we are all just a bunch of drunks in training :eek:

D'uh!!! lol :D

sparks19
06-15-2007, 01:58 PM
D'uh!!! lol :D

LOL How silly of me.... I guess "I started thinking" is where the trouble started with that sentence haha

YOu don't have to think to figure that one out I guess :D

chalk it up to a blonde moment lol

king2005
06-15-2007, 02:10 PM
LOL How silly of me.... I guess "I started thinking" is where the trouble started with that sentence haha

YOu don't have to think to figure that one out I guess :D

chalk it up to a blonde moment lol

Man, if I (we) was thinking last weekend then umm ya, less booze, fire, fuel, & fire crackers would have been involved LOL

WOOT for being a redneck!!!!
We know how to have crazy parties & do them safe... The fire pit was a 20x20 cement foundation to an old house in a field (NO trees for a LONG distance)... The tennis racket bug zapper was WAY too much fun.. Joe was drunk & running all over the place killing anything that tried to steal our blood :D :rolleyes: Lets just say there was so many the zapping didn't stop, until his drunken butt was tired of running LOL

I'll PM you a blond moment from the party(if you ask). Joes a true blond, but he dyes it black to hide it + hes Goth... Well his roots are showing, so when he does something really REALLY stupid, I say: Hey Joe I guess the Dumb Blond is seeping out again eh? HAHAHA Ya know I'm a true canadian when I say Eh :D

sparks19
06-15-2007, 03:13 PM
Man, if I (we) was thinking last weekend then umm ya, less booze, fire, fuel, & fire crackers would have been involved LOL

WOOT for being a redneck!!!!
We know how to have crazy parties & do them safe... The fire pit was a 20x20 cement foundation to an old house in a field (NO trees for a LONG distance)... The tennis racket bug zapper was WAY too much fun.. Joe was drunk & running all over the place killing anything that tried to steal our blood :D :rolleyes: Lets just say there was so many the zapping didn't stop, until his drunken butt was tired of running LOL

I'll PM you a blond moment from the party(if you ask). Joes a true blond, but he dyes it black to hide it + hes Goth... Well his roots are showing, so when he does something really REALLY stupid, I say: Hey Joe I guess the Dumb Blond is seeping out again eh? HAHAHA Ya know I'm a true canadian when I say Eh :D

I always love to hear about someone else's blonde moments :D PM away.... it makes me feel less badly about my own blonde moments haha.

I have heard of that Tennis Racket bug zapper and I can totally picture him running around with it lol.

I always say EH.... it's funny cause customers at the store will hear me talk and say "You aren't from around here are you" I just don't hear the accent lol but everyone else does.... and apparently it gets really bad when I return from a trip up North. :D

Glacier
06-15-2007, 03:18 PM
Do you have Bridal showers out there? I really can't ever recall anyone I know having one lol.

and that sounds scandalous ;) At my step sisters bachelorette party I made every guy sitting at the bar buy her a flower for her last night lol.

Is it common where you are to have the bachelorette party the night before the wedding? .

Sometimes. Mine was combined. We had a nice dinner early in the evening with some gifts. The friend who organized everything picked a kitchen gadget gift theme. I love gadgets! There were a few racy/naughty gifts thrown in as well. After dinner was basically drunken girls night out at my favorite bar. Can't remember the last time I was in a bar, but at one point in my life, I picked my apartment by it's proximity to the Ranchman's!(in Calgary)

I've never heard of having the party the night before the wedding. It's usually a couple weeks before. Mine was on a random Saturday night since I wouldn't tell anyone when the actual wedding was. People knew we were engaged, but we eloped for the actual wedding.

It wasn't totally scandalous, but it was fun and certainly not any stories I'll be sharing with my Mother! There are some things Mom never needs to know.

Phred...yup, I have a past! I read something that said basically every woman should have a past she's content to leave behind, but looking forward to telling the stories of when she's an old lady. That's about right for mine!

Where I grew up, couples often had "socials" before their weddings. It was basically a pot-luck dinner and a couple's shower combined. Not really a party, but a type of pre-wedding celebration.

king2005
06-15-2007, 03:35 PM
I always love to hear about someone else's blonde moments :D PM away.... it makes me feel less badly about my own blonde moments haha.

I have heard of that Tennis Racket bug zapper and I can totally picture him running around with it lol.

I always say EH.... it's funny cause customers at the store will hear me talk and say "You aren't from around here are you" I just don't hear the accent lol but everyone else does.... and apparently it gets really bad when I return from a trip up North. :D

I'll send the PM when I have access to the photos from home lol (they are 100% clean, well except for all the ashes from the fire lol). I'm still at work, until 5pm & its 4:25ish...

Heres a pic of him, so you can see how tall & THIN he is (& his hotness, shhhh).. hes 6' & about 120lbs (not his fault, cannot put on weight)... But ya, picture his skinny drunk butt running all over the field zapping LOL
http://jess.the-dog-dish.net/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=3568&g2_serialNumber=2&g2_GALLERYSID=2a629cebe3667537400440d41ab4dcb7

Oh look ^^^ The zapper is in the photo LOL
& yes thats a pair of socks drying over the fire & Yes Joe has flaming paper on the end of a poker

sparks19
06-15-2007, 03:44 PM
I'll send the PM when I have access to the photos from home lol (they are 100% clean, well except for all the ashes from the fire lol). I'm still at work, until 5pm & its 4:25ish...

Heres a pic of him, so you can see how tall & THIN he is (& his hotness, shhhh).. hes 6' & about 120lbs (not his fault, cannot put on weight)... But ya, picture his skinny drunk butt running all over the field zapping LOL
http://jess.the-dog-dish.net/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=3568&g2_serialNumber=2&g2_GALLERYSID=2a629cebe3667537400440d41ab4dcb7

Oh look ^^^ The zapper is in the photo LOL
& yes thats a pair of socks drying over the fire & Yes Joe has flaming paper on the end of a poker

LOL that's awesome.... doesn't get anymore redneck than that. :D

Socks roasting over an open fire..... a toy that is also a bug zapper.... and playing with fire while drinking :D haha sounds like a good time to me.

king2005
06-15-2007, 03:55 PM
LOL that's awesome.... doesn't get anymore redneck than that. :D

Socks roasting over an open fire..... a toy that is also a bug zapper.... and playing with fire while drinking :D haha sounds like a good time to me.

ya lol
We also played Nintendo DS & Cell Phone Games hahaha
Gio tossed his phone at the padle boat when we were on Bird Sh** Island.. It bounced out of the boat, across the island in 2 skips & PLUNK into the lake

We are Redneck Geeks :D

Edwina's Secretary
06-15-2007, 06:04 PM
Which particular members do you think are responsible for making those members feel that they have to leave?

I remember some Bruce Lee/Genghis Kahn wannabe pontificating that feelings cannot be hurt on here as this is cyperspace and not reality.... or some such Yodalike pronouncement. I put the guy on IGNORE. Sounds like your friends may have done the same and missed it. A shame....

Mad Mags Moo
06-25-2007, 11:43 AM
We have Stag and Hen Parties!
Stags are the groom and his mates - they go out get drunk, usually go and get a stripper or 2!! then feel like crap the next day!
Hen parties are for the girlies and usually get all dressed up - L plates on the bride to be! Get drunk, see men strip then go home and party!!
On the Scottish Islands weddings can and do last for at least a week before and after!!!! Scots know how to put on a good do!!!! ;) ;)

sparks19
06-25-2007, 11:50 AM
We have Stag and Hen Parties!
Stags are the groom and his mates - they go out get drunk, usually go and get a stripper or 2!! then feel like crap the next day!
Hen parties are for the girlies and usually get all dressed up - L plates on the bride to be! Get drunk, see men strip then go home and party!!
On the Scottish Islands weddings can and do last for at least a week before and after!!!! Scots know how to put on a good do!!!! ;) ;)

L Plates? what's that?

a week before and after :eek: what do you do for all that time..... That could end in one mean hangover lol :D

Mad Mags Moo
06-25-2007, 11:58 AM
L Plates? what's that?

a week before and after :eek: what do you do for all that time..... That could end in one mean hangover lol :D

L plates are put on cars when people are learning to drive in the UK - its a joke of sorts saying that bride to be is a learner!!! :D ;)

Yep and funerals are just as bad - on the islands that is - can last up to a week after the burial or cremation! :eek:

sparks19
06-25-2007, 12:21 PM
L plates are put on cars when people are learning to drive in the UK - its a joke of sorts saying that bride to be is a learner!!! :D ;)

Yep and funerals are just as bad - on the islands that is - can last up to a week after the burial or cremation! :eek:

LOL that's a cute idea with the L plates :D

I always liked when they wrote "Help me" on the bottom of the grooms shoes for the wedding in white so when they kneel down all you see is "HELP ME" lol

and I certainly hope my funeral is like that :D

So what goes on for that week long celebration?