PDA

View Full Version : Those with grey hair...

catnapper
06-11-2007, 10:17 AM
I need your experienced opinion. I know we've discussed this in the past but I forget everything! LOL

As I get older, my hair gets whiter. Its a terrible tragedy. My temples are 100% white at this point and the band of white grows wider annually. The rest of my hair is dark brown, almost black. No threads of grey marches through the dark sections ;)

My questions is this: what home hair color do you trust?

I am tired of dying it dark brown and having the roots coming in as bright white. Its a REALLY stark contrast. I want to go lighter in the white sections and keep my dark hard in the dark sections.... almost like a highlight job where the hair is all lighter around the face. This way, when the white grow in, its not nearly as onvious and I might be able to go an extra week before coloring --- AGAIN. I seem to color about every 3 weeks now since the contrast is so strong.

What product is best? A semi-permanent? Is so, which brand?
Or a permanent that does not contain ammonia to lighten my dark hair? Which brand there?

I have tried several brands, and the ones that say "up to 40% grey coverage" doesn't work because I'm 100% grey in my grey spots, so it doesn't do much good. Drat :(

Am I a hopeless case who should be spending her time at the salon, or is there hope for me yet? :p

Craftlady
06-11-2007, 11:25 AM
I use Nice & Easy by Clariol.
Love the product, easy to use, covers gray :)
I use the coloring that has built in hightlites.

Maresche
06-11-2007, 11:39 AM
I use Henna on my hair once a month and it does wonders for the grey that's beginning to show otherwise. Yes it is messy but it is much cheaper than the chemical stuff.

cyber-sibes
06-11-2007, 12:08 PM
I used to use Nice N' Easy too. I dyed my hair for probably 10 years. Now I have given up, accepted that grey is also beautiful, and let it all grow out. I like it just the way it is. I'm sure I look older now, but duh, I am older! :p

Uabassoon
06-11-2007, 12:17 PM
I have a hard time covering my grey hair, thankfully I have a friend who used to be a hairdresser and he dyes my hair for me using professional color that he buys at Sally's. He only charges me $15 so it's a great deal for me!

mruffruff
06-11-2007, 01:18 PM
For a while I used Loving Care in my natural brown shade. The I wanted to let it wash out and go natural.

My granddaughter kept asking me why I had pink hair!!!

It seems that my hair kept all of the red tones even through 3 months of washings. I finally got the red parts cut off. Now I'm silver on top, gray/brown/silver on the sides and brown/gray in back.

I earned every gray hair so I'm going to flaunt it :rolleyes:

Laura's Babies
06-11-2007, 01:22 PM
I gave up trying to cover the grey/silver in mine, nothing ever did anyway. :rolleyes:

momoffuzzyfaces
06-11-2007, 01:34 PM
I gave up trying to cover the grey/silver in mine, nothing ever did anyway. :rolleyes:
Me too Laura!!! I started getting grey when I was 18. I just couldn't keep up with it!!! :D

Donnaj4962
06-11-2007, 02:07 PM
I may be the odd one here, as I dye my mousiebrowngoshawfulugly hair blonde. But, I DO have lots of gray, also at the temples. I have used L'Oreal creme color every month for the past 4 years! I still have all of my hair, and there are natural highlights. (I use one shade one month and another either lighter or darker shade the next to create my own highlights!)Since it is a creme, it doesn't run and get on my face. I will never use anything else.

Good luck! I am sure you will find something that will work. Look at the box for the "gray coverage percentage" and that will help you with your decision.

slick
06-11-2007, 03:12 PM
I can never understand why women want to colour their hair. Be natural.....you're beautiful the way you are.

Pam
06-11-2007, 04:47 PM
I use Wella bleach and I get it at the local beauty supply. I buy my own peroxide and mix it at home. The whole thing costs me about $3.50 (you can't beat the price) and I do it once a month. Actually my beautician (who is also my neighbor) told me about this. She said why come into the shop and pay top dollar? They use Wella at her shop. It covers my gray but I don't have any solid gray areas. I have threads of gray on top and on the sides. The back is still *me* at least for now. :p

Edit: Kim you could do a "home frosting" on yourself. I believe it is Clairol who makes a product called "La Petit Frost." It is for highlighting small areas. My daughter has used it very successfully. :)

lizbud
06-11-2007, 05:26 PM
I have never used any hair color product. I didn't get any gray hair
till my mid forties, so it's been a slow gradual thing. I am interested to see
what others have used, but I probably just keep the gray. I do keep it
fairly short so it's easy to keep up.

Almita
06-11-2007, 05:39 PM
The problem for my mom, she uses Loreal? not sure, or she goes get it professional retouch. Then in 3 weeks its back to grey, her hair grows fast. So mostly i'm the one retouching her hair every month.

critter crazy
06-11-2007, 05:40 PM
Grey hair??? Whats grey hair???:p :p :D

moosmom
06-11-2007, 07:59 PM
I've used L'Oreal for years, cuz I'm worth it!! :cool: :p

Grey hairs???? I've got greys in places you'd NEVER think of looking :p

carole
06-11-2007, 09:35 PM
He He Donna you crack me up girl, i also am a loreal girl, i used to use nice and easy but found it faded terribly, and yes i too am worth it, i was using a permanent, but found it a bit dark, they are either too dark or light for me, but i now am using the new semi-permanent dark blonde casting creme gloss, it covers grey harmoniously so it says, and i find it the right colour for me,not too dark or too goldie,and it does come in a range of good colours, you really need to do it at least once a month.

Twisterdog
06-11-2007, 11:46 PM
I have a white stripe in my bangs, about an inch wide. It's not too noticable if I actually wear bangs, but when I grow them out, then I have a long white stripe all through my hair.

But, everyone loves it. I get compliments on it all the time. And my son's friends teenage friends thinks it's the coolest thing ever. They think I did it on purpose! :rolleyes:

Maybe when it all starts to go gray, I'll start dying it, although I doubt it. I can't stand the constant maintenance. I earned that gray, every strand!

K9karen
06-11-2007, 11:51 PM
I can never understand why women want to colour their hair. Be natural.....you're beautiful the way you are.

Why, Thank you!!! :D :D :p

Before I developed a severe allergy to any kind of hair dye, I used Nice and Easy (and you've seen me, I had lots of grey). Sometimes I treated myself to the hair salon for professional job.

caseysmom
06-11-2007, 11:56 PM
I do the exact same thing that Pam does, the only bad thing is the grey's have a different texture, they are thicker and unruly.

crow_noir
06-12-2007, 02:37 AM
Ok, i don't have gray hair but i just wanted to state my opinion.

It's so beautiful! I don't know why anyone would want to cover up gray hair. I can understand dying hair once in a while for change, but not to conceal.

catnapper
06-12-2007, 07:56 AM
Thanks guys! I knew I could count on you.

I would love to grow it out. I always thought women with the self cofidence to let their hair go grey were sexy. Seriously! Every tie I try to grow it ut I get comments from the peanut gallery -- that being family and work. I even had one client tell me that I was "such a pretty girl, why don't I color my hair to look better" I wasn't sure which to be more shocked over, being referred to as a girl or told I should cover my grey! LOL

Logan
06-12-2007, 09:14 AM
Kim, I am going to be gray this summer. I am having my hair cut tomorrow, but she didn't have time to do color at the same time. The sun bleaches out color so quickly, anyway, that I guess I will be saving some money by leaving off the color for a few months.

I am almost completely gray, but I have enough of the last color job to still show some brown, thank goodness! I appreciate the fact that some people say "go gray", but I tried it before and I felt "old". I don't physically feel old and I certainly don't want to look it because of my hair color.

I have never tried to do my own color at home. Just don't have the nerve. LOL!!

Good luck!
Logan

Rie Rie
06-12-2007, 09:51 AM
Some people can wear the grey and it looks fine, but others, not so much. I color my hair about every four months or so, because I like change. This last time I decided to go have some red/burgandy lowlights put in. I have a liscense to do hair, but don't know a lot about color. They do have a brand of color at Sally's called Grey Busters, made by clairol. Not sure how well it works, but it's worth a try. I did find out something interesting from the girl that does my hair. She said if you put in a color and it's too dark, you can use dawn dishwashing soap and it will take it out or at least lighten it. It doesn't work as well if you've had the color a while. I haven't ever tried it, so I don't kow if it works, but I'm thinking it does since the girl said she wasn't supposed to tell customers about it.

mina'smomma
06-12-2007, 09:54 AM
I use Herbal Essence for my nice grays before that is was Nice-n-Easy. (I've been getting gray since I was 13) :eek:

mruffruff
06-12-2007, 01:09 PM
I have found that my gray hair looked yellowish when I used a regular shampoo (any brand). I bought some generic shampoo at Sally Beauty which is made to eliminate the yellow tones. It even has a conditioner that works really well on gray hair. It wasn't expensive either.

I don't like the upkeep on dye jobs. And some are very drying. One woman here at work has hair that feels like straw from over working it. I keep wondering when it will all fall out!