PDA

View Full Version : Anyone Know the famous Karen Watts?

4 Dog Mother
06-11-2007, 08:38 AM
From June 11th's Findlay Courier:

Park has lots of tails wagging

By MICHELLE REITER

STAFF WRITER

Karen Watts sat at the center of about 10 dogs, handing out treats to pooches that were trying to be patient.

She was a rarity at the K-9 Field of Dreams Dog Park at Riverbend one recent Sunday.

"I don't have a dog," said Watts, who lives in Massachusetts. "I just have a rabbit named Miss Hoppy."

Miss Hoppy stayed in Massachusetts during Karen and Paul Watts' trip to Findlay's dog park. The Watts traveled here to meet with other pet owners — primarily dog owners — they had met online.

"We meet once in a while (at different locations around the country)," she said of her and thousands of other members of Pet Talk, a bulletin board on the Web site Pet-of-the-Day, which is owned and operated by the Watts.

Riverbend's dog park has become one of the group's most popular meeting places, Watts said.

"This is the best dog park," Watts said, "because of the double gate and the timeout pen (for dogs who need to be separated from other dogs). Also, there are not many dog parks this size."

The K-9 Field of Dreams Dog park has been open for about seven years now and it has between 200 and 300 memberships a year, said Margie Stateler, the visitor services manager of the Hancock Park District.

Memberships to the dog park are $10 for up to three dogs — additional dogs cost $5 each — and to get a pass, dogs must be up to date on their rabies and distemper shots.

The just-about-an-acre of land gives the pups a place to run free in a world confined by leash laws. It also gives dog owners a chance to get to know each other — or at least each other's dogs, said dog park member Pat St. Onge.

"Everyone knows the dogs' names," Onge said. "Not the peoples' names."

St. Onge owns two Huskies — Star and Sherman — dogs that have made friends among other dogs and humans alike at the park.

Justina Jenkins, 27, has two dogs — Brutis, a rat terrier, and Luci, a pug-chihuahua mix (chug). Jenkins lives in an apartment, so she relies on the dog park to provide exercise and socialization for her dogs.

"I come at least five times a week," she said. And she might stay for several hours at a stretch, getting to know all the dogs and people who stop by.

"Sometimes we come twice a day," added Teresa Jenkins, Justina's mother, who doesn't have a dog of her own.

Justina said she likes the space available for the dogs to run — but she also likes to watch her dogs play with other dogs.

Luci, at about six pounds, may be the smallest dog at the park, but she may also have the biggest attitude.

She yaps at dogs 20 times her size and sits primly while her contingent of human admirers fuss over her gray, velvet-like coat and tiny stature.

Some of the bigger dogs find themselves obsessed with Luci; but if they get fresh, the hamster-sized dog will blast them with tiny, intimidating barks until they retreat.

But most dog park members know Luci; so they know what to expect.

It's that kind of familiarity that has spawned a community of sorts at the park. People know dogs' names, behaviors, ages — and sometimes birthdays.

"This has been extremely successful," said Stateler. "People from out of town come to look at our dog park."

The park was once locked, with a combination distributed only to dog park members. Now the gate is open with a warning on the outside that only members are allowed in. Park rangers and Hancock County sheriff's deputies patrol the park daily to make sure everyone there is a member. The fine for being in the park without an active membership is $85.

Other than that, there aren't many restrictions. Dogs can roam without leashes, but owners must pick up any dog poop with bags provided by the park district.

Two picnic tables sit in the park, along with a bench and two trees donated by Pet Talk members in honor of beloved dogs who have passed away.

And at least one breed of dog is not welcome — the pit bull.

"We're not allowed to give membership passes to pit bulls," Stateler said, "according to the dangerous, vicious dog laws in Ohio."

The K-9 Field of Dreams is one of the best parks around, members and visitors say.

St. Onge is moving to Rhode Island, and she said what dog parks exist there are tiny.

Dogs need wide open spaces — it's good for their mental health. And most dog park members believe that dogs' mental health matters.

"Science is just finding out that dogs have a consciousness," Karen Watts said. "But I've always known that."

For more information about Pet Talk, go to http://www.petoftheday.com/.

Cinder & Smoke
06-11-2007, 08:53 AM
:)
:D

WOW!

*NICE* Article you're "Featured In", Mrs. Mayor!!

Michelle seemed to pay attention while talking to everyone ...
an uncommon trait with many "reporters".

We should "invite" her to a few more Gathurins.

;)

catnapper
06-11-2007, 09:08 AM
Wonderful article!!! Yay Karen!!!

petslover
06-11-2007, 09:10 AM
That is such an awesome article. How neat!

I knew Karen before she was famous! :)

cyber-sibes
06-11-2007, 09:47 AM
Chalk one up for Karen, Paul, Miss Hoppy, & Pettalk! Thanks for posting this, Diana! Did they have a picture, too? I'll bet a lot of new people will join up now...to replace some of us who have to leave...
( :( we're missing you all)

Pat, Star & Sherms

beeniesmom
06-11-2007, 10:06 AM
Nice article!
Too bad they don't let pitt bulls in the park though.

kittycats_delight
06-11-2007, 10:12 AM
Awesome!!!! I have a huge smile from ear to ear. :D

I do agree though with Carmen about the shame of the discrimination of the pitbull. If they only knew the REAL pitbull.

Killearn Kitties
06-11-2007, 10:28 AM
How exciting! It sounds such a wonderful place - I'd like a membership myself! :D

I didn't know that picnic tables had been donated. What a lovely idea.

Cataholic
06-11-2007, 10:40 AM
WOW. I can finally say I know someone famous. :)

Karen
06-11-2007, 10:51 AM
Hee hee! I was just wondering whether the article was going to run! Thanks for letting us know, Diana! And, for the record, they have let Simba (who is a (sshhhh) pittie mix) in just fine!

shais_mom
06-11-2007, 10:53 AM
Yup - I saw that this morning too! :)
She interviewed several of us but apparently the article was more on the Dog Park. Its a wonderful article for publicity of BOTH the dog park and petoftheday.com :) :D

Catty1
06-11-2007, 10:56 AM
Karen and Paul - you WILL remember us little folks when you get your own Reality TV Series???? :p

Randi
06-11-2007, 11:17 AM
Great article, very well written!! :) Now, we can expect lots of new members from Ohio, I bet!

Karen, can I get your autograph? :D

gini
06-11-2007, 11:31 AM
What a wonderful article. But we already knew that Karen and Paul were famous, didn't we?

Kfamr
06-11-2007, 11:33 AM
Great article. It is sad about the Pittie thing.

And, for the record, they have let Simba (who is a (sshhhh) pittie mix) in just fine!

That's only because we didn't put him down as a Pittie Mix. ;)

4 Dog Mother
06-11-2007, 11:48 AM
Pat, here is the only picture they printed. Since I don't know any of the dogs I didn't post it. You might though since you went much more often than I.
http://www.thecourier.com/photos/N061107.jpg
GRETCHEN, MIA AND BAILEY play at the K-9 Field of Dreams Dog Park at Riverbend while their owners watch them. The park, which opened about seven years ago, currently has between 200 and 300 memberships. (Photo by Matthew Hashiguchi)

cyber-sibes
06-11-2007, 12:02 PM
Thanks, Diana. We used to see Gretchen almost every time we went, Sherman would play with her sometimes. We've met Baily on several occasions, too.

lizbud
06-11-2007, 12:04 PM
Wow, what a nice article. :) It is a very nice dog park. One of the best
I've seen, but I didn't know about Pit Bull ban.Since it is a public park, I guess it makes some sense.

AdoreMyDogs
06-11-2007, 12:17 PM
What a great article :) I sure wish I could be there, I miss when I could attend the PT gatherings. Maybe someday again I'll be able to come to a gathering :)

cyber-sibes
06-11-2007, 12:46 PM
Luci, at about six pounds, may be the smallest dog at the park, but she may also have the biggest attitude.

She yaps at dogs 20 times her size and sits primly while her contingent of human admirers fuss over her gray, velvet-like coat and tiny stature.
I know not everyone looks at our PT pic-nic photos, so I thought I'd re-post this one. It really captures Miss Luci! This is Cincy/Sadie/Spot's dad, Ralph, paying homage to the little diva.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v432/cyber-sibes/PT%20Memorial%20Day%2007/IMG_1940-1.jpg
I just love the expression on her face!

wolflady
06-11-2007, 12:49 PM
That's awesome! Thanks for sharing this article with us. Yay PT and Yay Karen and Paul for creating this website! :)

**hugs**

pitc9
06-11-2007, 12:50 PM
From June 11th's Findlay Courier:

Park has lots of tails wagging

By MICHELLE REITER

Some of the bigger dogs find themselves obsessed with Luci; but if they get fresh, the hamster-sized dog will blast them with tiny, intimidating barks until they retreat.

But most dog park members know Luci; so they know what to expect.

Hummmm..... bigger dogs obsessed with Lucy??? :confused: Who could they be talking about??
:o

That is a GREAT article!!
We're famous now!!!! :D

luvofallhorses
06-11-2007, 12:52 PM
that's a great article but it pisses me off that pit bulls aren't allowed. :(

ramanth
06-11-2007, 12:54 PM
Nice plug for Pet Talk! :D Nice article. Congrats Karen and Pat. :D

k9krazee
06-11-2007, 12:58 PM
Oh how cool, thanks for posting this Diana!!

Hummmm..... bigger dogs obsessed with Lucy??? :confused: Who could they be talking about??
:o

Well, it SURELY wasn't Sierra!!! :p
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid225/p9d8b594f4c2bfe3376b342fb5f517349/e951b09f.jpg

Cincy'sMom
06-11-2007, 01:09 PM
Seems as if there was another pittie there at one time. I'd have to search my albums but I bet I could find Mugsy' Serenity there too.

While I do disagree with not letting pitties in, we have to remember in a lot cases it may not be the preference of the park or organization. Law makers have imposed so many laws against the breed, and with so many insurance companies refusing to cover pitties, it is a HUGE liability for them for they allowed the dogs. From what the article says it is do to Ohio's laws that prevent them fromallowing pits.

We really need to work on the lawmakers and changing public opinion as a whole, and can't fault the small organizations that have to follow the rules.

AdoreMyDogs
06-11-2007, 01:10 PM
I know not everyone looks at our PT pic-nic photos, so I thought I'd re-post this one. It really captures Miss Luci! This is Cincy/Sadie/Spot's dad, Ralph, paying homage to the little diva.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v432/cyber-sibes/PT%20Memorial%20Day%2007/IMG_1940-1.jpg
I just love the expression on her face!

OMG this dog is about the cutest thing I've EVER seen! So cute you could just gobble her up!

Jadapit
06-11-2007, 01:19 PM
What a wonderful article! :D

You all know how much I love the pit bull breed, they truly are my favorite breed. IMHO pit bulls and dog parks just don't mix. If anything should ever happen and it can when you get that many dogs together the pit bull is going to be blamed even if they didn't start the fight. The pit bull would more than likely finish the fight. I would never take that chance. Its up to me to keep my pit bulls safe and other peoples dogs safe also. I hope that makes sense to you all. ;)

anna_66
06-11-2007, 01:20 PM
Now I know a real celebrity:D

Pat thanks for posting this!

Karen
06-11-2007, 01:21 PM
It does make sense - at least the Findlay park, as mentioned, does have the "time out" cage!

Jadapit
06-11-2007, 01:43 PM
Thank you Karen! Here is a really good article written on the PBRC web site on dog parks and pit bulls they said it better than I could.
http://www.pbrc.net/dogpark.html

Donnaj4962
06-11-2007, 02:00 PM
How very cool! Great article! Although I have never had the pleasure of meeting Mayor Karen and Mayor Paul, I can at least say that I know a celebrity.... maybe my association! :rolleyes: :eek: :D

My hope is to be able to get to one of the gatherings, even though I only have :::agh::: cats and would have to borrow a pup for the day!

sandragonfly
06-11-2007, 02:49 PM
the sierra I know.. :D :D she was adorable meeting other dogs lol.

how cool. let's see what this article will do us next year.. 100+ people and 200+ doggies? then the park will be "smaller" .. :eek: :D

karen, you'll need to see our park, northen park fort funston dog park someday - it is as BIG as three or four football stadiums - not fields - stadiums. :) findlay is the third smallest one I ever been to - 15 parks maybe? I'm surprised you didn't mentioned about kitties center.

I've met karen four times, I know she's famous for giggles and hugs too!

Karen
06-11-2007, 03:54 PM
I did mention that we usually have at least one kitty who attends, but that the kitties tend to stay up at the pavillion with the people, for saftey's sake! She just didn't bother including that in the article - we talked for a while.

Pam
06-11-2007, 04:40 PM
OMG this dog is about the cutest thing I've EVER seen! So cute you could just gobble her up!

Leslie I agree with you!!!!! If Lucy's human should ever tire of her I'd take her in a heartbeat! Please, everyone feel free to pass that along to her human! LOL :p

Karen, like someone else said, I am pleased to say "I knew you back when...." :D Gosh I should have asked for your autograph when I met you. :p

lizbud
06-11-2007, 04:50 PM
What a wonderful article! :D

You all know how much I love the pit bull breed, they truly are my favorite breed. IMHO pit bulls and dog parks just don't mix. If anything should ever happen and it can when you get that many dogs together the pit bull is going to be blamed even if they didn't start the fight. The pit bull would more than likely finish the fight. I would never take that chance. Its up to me to keep my pit bulls safe and other peoples dogs safe also. I hope that makes sense to you all. ;)

I don't want to get this thread off topic at all, just wanted Jadapit to know
this. I agree with your post 100%. You are a true spokesman for the love
of the breed. :) We have to admit, not all people are & that's a darn shame.

Lady's Human
06-11-2007, 06:54 PM
Nope. Never heard of her. :p

Freedom
06-11-2007, 07:17 PM
Wow, that was really nice of them to do the story and plug PT! Thanks for sharing with all of us!

Alysser
06-11-2007, 07:44 PM
Wow, that's an awesome article. :D It's so cool that PT is in the news.

moosmom
06-11-2007, 07:52 PM
YEAH KAREN!! Awesome article.

RICHARD
06-11-2007, 08:52 PM
There was the "face that launched a thousand ships"-

And then there is the "space that launched a thousand trips"

Get ready for that "most visitor" count to go sky high!

:D

AdoreMyDogs
06-11-2007, 09:31 PM
Leslie I agree with you!!!!! If Lucy's human should ever tire of her I'd take her in a heartbeat! Please, everyone feel free to pass that along to her human! LOL :p

Karen, like someone else said, I am pleased to say "I knew you back when...." :D Gosh I should have asked for your autograph when I met you. :p

It's a good thing I wasn't there when that most adorable canine EVER was there....I would have been trying my best at taking her home with me. I just keep going back to that picture and oooh-ing and ahhhh-ing at her. I think that may be the cutest dog I've ever seen. I really, really want one!!!!! I want one just like her :) :D

dukedogsmom
06-11-2007, 09:55 PM
So cool! Congrats Karen and Paul :D

k9krazee
06-11-2007, 10:23 PM
not to hijack the thread or anything... :o

I really, really want one!!!!! I want one just like her :) :D

Ask and you shall recieve.
Here are some "Chugs" in Texas ;)

Dallas (http://search.petfinder.com/petnote/displaypet.cgi?petid=7778096)
Pugsly (http://search.petfinder.com/petnote/displaypet.cgi?petid=8219398)
and my personal favorite
Litl-Guy (http://search.petfinder.com/petnote/displaypet.cgi?petid=8496107)

;) :p

luvofallhorses
06-11-2007, 10:29 PM

I agree as well! :D

AdoreMyDogs
06-11-2007, 10:41 PM
not to hijack the thread or anything... :o

Ask and you shall recieve.
Here are some "Chugs" in Texas ;)

Dallas (http://search.petfinder.com/petnote/displaypet.cgi?petid=7778096)
Pugsly (http://search.petfinder.com/petnote/displaypet.cgi?petid=8219398)
and my personal favorite
Litl-Guy (http://search.petfinder.com/petnote/displaypet.cgi?petid=8496107)

;) :p

GOODness Don't DO THIS TO ME!!!! I seriously am in love! Those "Chugs" are just too cute. I guess they'd be considered a designer breed, but goodness they're cute! I really am not a big fan of chihuahuas and my hubby doesn't like pugs (*gasp* can you believe that???) but both of us like the chih/pug cross hehe. Maybe in a few years, we'll see. I totally want one, though!

K9karen
06-11-2007, 11:55 PM
That is such an awesome article. How neat!

I knew Karen before she was famous! :)

Me too! :D

Kfamr
06-12-2007, 03:36 PM
Donna, I was going to mention the fact that a majority of responsible pitty owners don't bring their dogs to the dog park. They almost always get blamed for fights.

pitc9
06-12-2007, 04:25 PM

Ditto!!

Donna... if all the Pittie owners in the world would take lessons from you, the world would be a better place and less blame would be put on the breed.

pitc9
06-12-2007, 04:27 PM
If Lucy's human should ever tire of her I'd take her in a heartbeat! Please, everyone feel free to pass that along to her human! LOL :p

Sorry!! Sierra has first dibs on Lucy if she ever needed a new home! :p
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid225/p15aef711cab6ae876ab80f5e97dd934b/e94a62df.jpg

Suki Wingy
06-12-2007, 05:29 PM
ooh awsome! way too bad about the pitties though.
I have actually been thinking, next meeting (2008) I'll be 18 and most likley have a car as long as my jeep doesn't break down so I think I'll be coming!

k9krazee
06-12-2007, 05:33 PM
I think you'd also have to fight Ralph for Lucy ;)

ooh awsome! way too bad about the pitties though.
I have actually been thinking, next meeting (2008) I'll be 18 and most likley have a car as long as my jeep doesn't break down so I think I'll be coming!

Ahh, You totally should! :D