PDA

View Full Version : Help! Baby bird fell out of tree

catnapper
06-10-2007, 10:47 AM
What should I do? He fell out of the tree into the bottom of our trashcan. Luckily it was empty so he didn't fall on garbage, but he's just sitting there all puffed up and breathing hard. I feel awful. Is there anything I can do to help him?

Kfamr
06-10-2007, 10:55 AM
Bring him/her to the local wildlife rehab. If you don't know where it is, ask the local Humane Society.

catnapper
06-10-2007, 10:57 AM
Humane Society is closed. I don't know of any wildlife rehab around here. :(

ramanth
06-10-2007, 10:59 AM
Can you reach the nest to put him back in?

lizbud
06-10-2007, 11:10 AM
Can you reach the nest to put him back in?

That's what I would do too. Put him back asap. If not the nest, at least
onto a tree branch.

Kfamr
06-10-2007, 11:13 AM
Humane Society is closed. I don't know of any wildlife rehab around here. :(

Google helps. :)
http://www.rehabitat.org/rehabilitators.htm

sandragonfly
06-10-2007, 12:05 PM
maybe you should wait.. for his mother? falling out of nest is normal - the mother bird often wouldn't want to take care of their babies after smelling hand oil. but sure do keep an eye on him for any predators.

if nothing by few hours, and not injuried, try to put back where he fell from and hope his mother still loves him!

catnapper
06-10-2007, 02:31 PM
Well guys, it turns out it wasn't a baby, just a young-ish bird. And our neighbor helped us. It turns out the bird has a big injury on his back end... maybe a cat got to him?

Freedom
06-10-2007, 03:25 PM
Ah poor thing.

In the morning, your vet can tell you Which vets in the area are licensed for wildlife. DO NOT take the bird to your vet; they have fits when you bring in the wildlife if they aren't licensed for it. A phone call will do.

Is it a fledgling? A young bird tryng to learn to fly and not quite there yet? Or is the injury so bad it CAN'T fly?? Can you tell?

catnapper
06-10-2007, 04:42 PM
I have no idea what happened ot the bird. We made a "nest" of grass cuttings for him and left him in a safe place. He's gone now. Maybe he wasn't so badly injured? I'm definately not a bird authority (All I really know is they fly, chirp, and poop on my car ;)) so I couldnt tell you if his injury was life threatening or something minor.

lizbud
06-10-2007, 04:50 PM
I have no idea what happened ot the bird. We made a "nest" of grass cuttings for him and left him in a safe place. He's gone now. Maybe he wasn't so badly injured? I'm definately not a bird authority (All I really know is they fly, chirp, and poop on my car ;)) so I couldnt tell you if his injury was life threatening or something minor.

He probably just needed time to get over his shock. Hope he made it
to safety. :)

Kalei
06-10-2007, 05:16 PM
I'm glad the baby bird was able to take off:) Maybe he'll be okay now and find his way back home:)

Argranade
06-10-2007, 07:05 PM
Glad it's okay.

crow_noir
06-11-2007, 12:48 AM
That is actually false for most bird species. Nobody really knows how the rumor got started... except maybe by well meaning people to get others to leave wildlife alone.

If anything you have more to worry about by poking through a young bird's fragile front. (you won't feel that you've done any damage, but it happens and there's almost no way to tell.)

the mother bird often wouldn't want to take care of their babies after smelling hand oil. but sure do keep an eye on him for any predators.