PDA

View Full Version : Who do you buy computers from

Hellow
06-10-2007, 03:28 AM
Do you buy computers from HP, Dell, E-Machienes, Sony, Compaq, or other (please specify)? Also, you can select multiple answers.

Whisk_Luva
06-10-2007, 04:38 AM
Evesham!

Freckles
06-10-2007, 08:33 AM
Most recent computer was built to my specs in a local shop.

KittyGurl
06-10-2007, 09:40 AM
All my computers are from E-Machanies :D

Zippy
06-10-2007, 10:37 AM
I have a dell laptop and love it. :)

Chilli
06-10-2007, 10:42 AM
We never bought our computers new. My dad was a computer genius. =D
Counting all the working computers in the house, we have 11(3 of those are mine).
All of them were completely rebuilt by my dad to fit what he wanted.

Alysser
06-10-2007, 10:44 AM
I have a dell desktop, but from my experience the laptops are terrible. I will never get another dell computer, at least I won't want to. My next computer may be from Apple.

kittycats_delight
06-10-2007, 10:48 AM
We always build our own computer to what meet our needs. Never intel. Always use AMD.

cmayer31
06-10-2007, 11:22 AM
My laptop is a HP. I've built my other computers to whatever I need.

Jessika
06-10-2007, 11:37 AM
All my comps (besides the laptop of course) I've built myself. The build is generally an AMD/ATI build with an Asus board (I'm name loyal... eventhough ATI has been putting out crap drivers lately...). But our laptop is Compaq.

Never intel. Always use AMD.
*high fives*

Blue_Frog
06-10-2007, 11:44 AM
I build my own, except laptops -- for some reason, laptops usually end up being Dells, but thats what my workplaces tend to give me.

For PC, i usually do research on all the components i want to put in, browse computer forums for usability and issues that other people have had with the parts I want, and then decide. Buy the parts usually at either Tiger, Logic, or online, and then assemble etc. It gives you a lot more flexibility on what actually goes into your system. Myself, I prefer ABit motherboards, but again, thats just me :)

Uabassoon
06-10-2007, 02:31 PM
I'm on my second Dell and I love them. I had my first Dell for 6 years before I finally got a new one, it still worked great and I never had any problems with it. But this past semester I signed up to go back to school so I used my financial aid money to finally buy a new one.

Hellow
06-10-2007, 04:18 PM
I have a HP desktop and a Sony laptop. I am thinking about building my own laptop and desktop. Yes, intel is awful. You know, my desktop is a Intel Celeron 1.2GH processor and it is as slow as christmas. My Sony laptop has a 800MH AMD Duron processor and it is faster than my desktop.

BitsyNaceyDog
06-10-2007, 05:01 PM
We currently have 4 Macs- a Mac Pro, a MacBook, a PowerBook, and an old G4 tower.

Tollers-n-Dobes
06-10-2007, 05:46 PM
Ours is an HP. We got it in 2004 and it's the first computer we've ever had, as well as the only one in the house. Not sure if it's considered a good brand or not (I know next to nothing about computers), but it hasn't given us too much trouble.

Crazy-Cat-Lover
06-10-2007, 05:57 PM
We bought a Compaq a few months ago - I love it. We have never had any problems with it, and it is really fast. I have used up a good portion of the hard drive because of all my pictures! :p

sammy101
06-10-2007, 06:06 PM
My laptop is a Dell and the main family computer is a Gateway.

cali
06-10-2007, 06:33 PM
my computer is an old buisness computer, from someone who upgraded, I have never owned a new computer in my life. I voted HP though as that is what my computer is at the moment.

k9krazee
06-10-2007, 06:53 PM
My Laptop is a Dell, but my brother built all of our desktops.

Hellow
06-10-2007, 09:28 PM
Do you know that you can build laptops?I am going on google right now to look for a article.

Karen
06-10-2007, 09:46 PM
Apple - Macintoshes, please!

Jessika
06-11-2007, 01:26 AM
Do you know that you can build laptops?I am going on google right now to look for a article.
Yeah it's possible but they just aren't as flexible or easy as building your own PC :)

Kfamr
06-11-2007, 01:45 AM
We build our own.

king2005
06-18-2007, 12:45 PM
I build my own computers :)
They are cheaper & for the same price as a name brand(dell, HP, ect), I can have a MUCH more powerful computer, with better name brand parts (AMD, etc)!

Vela
06-18-2007, 03:28 PM
We build our own too, only use AMD as well.

IRescue452
06-18-2007, 03:54 PM
My lappy's a compaq, the one I'm on right now is a Princeton which totalled $1700 with all the fixin's, I don't know who makes that, my other desktop is mostly compaq, I pieced that one together with various parts.

davidpizzica
06-18-2007, 04:42 PM
I must be unique to PT! I believe I'm the only one here with Phillips Magnavox Web Tv! It works great, but it's not the greatest. That's why I put down "other". Just last week I bought a fancy Phillips Magnavox Web Tv with picture in picture, deluxe wireless keyboard and remote for $5.00! When my settlement comes in from my accident, I'll by a brand new regular computer!

gemini9961
06-18-2007, 04:55 PM
Hubby and I have a Sony Vaio PC. I like it, haven't had any issues with it but then again I don't know a whole lot about computers. :o

Roxyluvsme13
06-18-2007, 04:56 PM
I'd love to build my own but right now mine is a piece of crap used Compaq my uncle gave me. I miss my Compaq laptop, but it was slow as well.

dogzr#1
06-18-2007, 06:06 PM
Okay I'll make this like a list. We have four different computers in our house right now.

I have a 5 year old Sony Vaio. It's okay for being so old, however we do have a fair share of problems with it. But it's my own laptop so I don't really mind.

My brother has an Apple laptop. He likes it which is good. I don't really like Apple that much.

My other brother has an Alienware (?) computer. I think that's it. Anyway, it is really good and he uses it to play WoW (World of Warcraft). It was a gift for graduating high school.

My parents have an HP Computer. It works really well as they don't use it for much besides surfing the net.

Catlady711
06-18-2007, 06:33 PM
I have a dell desktop, but from my experience the laptops are terrible. I will never get another dell computer, at least I won't want to. My next computer may be from Apple.

I would never buy a Dell again because not only have I had some problems with it but they LIED to me about what the extra $150 I paid for "technical phone support" was for. I specifically asked 2 different people and they verified it was for phone software support, so I plunked down the extra $150 only to find out a month later when I needed to call in about a problem that my money went to pay for HARDWARE support ONLY! They said if I wanted software support that I'd have to call another number and give my credit card info and they charge per minute for support!!:mad:

My Gateway I have had some issues with also (mostly microsoft issues) the phone support was EXCELLENT and I didn't even have to pay extra for it!

I'd NEVER buy a Dell again but I would buy a Gateway again.

Roxyluvsme13
06-18-2007, 06:40 PM
Speaking of Dells.. I don't want one EVER again. My laptop continuously had problems and was in the shop every two or three days after we got it back from the shop.

Suki Wingy
06-18-2007, 07:54 PM
I have a macbook

G535
06-19-2007, 01:59 AM
I build my own or buy cheap ex lease and upgrade. The house is full of pcs and Macs, over 20 (I think) and all working.

trayi52
06-19-2007, 06:50 AM
I own a Dell XPS M1710 laptop, also have another Dell laptop. I love both of them. All I have ever owned in the past 10 years is Dells. If I ever do have a problem, they are always there to help me, they hadn't failed me yet, though I don't have that many problems.

Willie :)

SemaviLady
06-29-2007, 04:56 PM
On desktop computers, I roll my own like many others here have posted.

I do have a stock notebook that was a gift to me from family. The notebook is a multimedia Gateway which is now almost two years old. I plan to upgrade the hardware (esp the RAM which is pitiful ) soon so that it runs faster and can do an almost decent job for resource intensive games like The Sims 2.

CathyBogart
06-29-2007, 06:11 PM
Homegrown, I build my own.

I'd avoid Dell at all costs, my dad had a HORRIBLE experience with their idiot help desk people which lasted months and involved over a dozen people, so I highly doubt it was a one-time "oopsie" type thing.

SemaviLady
07-06-2007, 11:12 PM
With the heat as bad as it has been, my workhorse desktop computer really warms up my work area.

I saw this submersed machine complete with bubbles at the end of the movie clip (http://www.youtube.com/v/PtufuXLvOok) for a cool customization and wonder how well it would actually work in a room where temps sometimes get to be 90 or so farenheit :)

Jessika
07-07-2007, 01:04 AM
With the heat as bad as it has been, my workhorse desktop computer really warms up my work area.

I saw this submersed machine complete with bubbles at the end of the movie clip (http://www.youtube.com/v/PtufuXLvOok) for a cool customization and wonder how well it would actually work in a room where temps sometimes get to be 90 or so farenheit :)
Water cooled?? We were going to do that with mine, except you need to be precise otherwise, well, the obvious could happen lol

Lady's Human
07-07-2007, 01:13 AM
They're using mineral oil in the clip, which is Non-conductive.

I'd hate to try to put a DVD in, though.

SemaviLady
07-07-2007, 01:21 AM
I'd hate to try to put a DVD in, though.Gah, imagine cleaning the DVDs afterwards. http://www.dslr-forum.de/images/smilies/eek.gif haha!!

G535
07-07-2007, 02:20 AM
Liquid cooling is overkill for computers, the components are built to withstand a lot more heat than the average room temperature. My computer room often goes over 100 in the summer (no airconditioning here) and I have yet to have a heat related issue with any of the machines.

It looks like it would be a fun project to try sometime though! :)

SemaviLady
07-07-2007, 06:19 AM
The aquarium might do a great job keeping cat and dog hair out of the fans. :)