PDA

View Full Version : For once NJ might make me proud

Pam
06-08-2007, 05:43 AM
It seems that the only time NJ makes the news is when there is something negative to report. Remember the soap opera called Jim McGreevey?

Finally NJ is about to embark on something so simple yet so necessary that could cause them to become pioneers. They may soon be the first state to make HIV testing mandatory for pregnant women and their babies. http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v80/Belrip/Graphics/applause.gifhttp://img.photobucket.com/albums/v80/Belrip/Graphics/applause.gif

New Jersey plans to become the first state in the United States to make HIV testing mandatory for pregnant women and newborns, under a proposal introduced Thursday. The new proposal, which was suggested by Senate President Richard J. Codey, D-Essex, eyes at introducing legislation for compulsory HIV testing for all pregnant women and newborns.

What pregnant woman would not welcome anything that would alert her to all possible health risks to herself and her unborn child? Hooray for NJ! Finally you make me proud!

Marigold2
06-08-2007, 04:06 PM
Great idea.

lizbud
06-08-2007, 04:54 PM
Congratulations to New Jersey. The was a bill floated in the House
here in Indiana to do much the same thing, but there were constitutional
issues they didn't plan for come up. Maybe someday all states will have
this law.

Sirrahsim
06-08-2007, 05:13 PM
It is beyond me why anyone would decline a simple blood test... Especially when it can have such an impact on their own lives and the lives of their children!

wombat2u2004
06-09-2007, 03:15 PM
Congratulations to New Jersey. The was a bill floated in the House
here in Indiana to do much the same thing, but there were constitutional
issues they didn't plan for come up. Maybe someday all states will have
this law.

Yeah....that's what struck me when I read Pam's post. Wouldn't there be some constitutional issues to consider ????
Wom

sabies
06-10-2007, 05:45 AM
I'm pregnant, in NJ, now and I know my doctor asked if I wanted the test. I said I didn't care - I only hesitated because I just want them to do whatever they normally do and anything they ask about usually has risks associated with it.

Well now I can think of one reason not to have it done - they took 6 vials of blood from me that day for various tests. I fainted when I stood up. A simple blood test yes, but when you combine so many at once it isn't fun! I think if I go thru this again I will ask to have the tests spread out over 2 days. Honestly I don't even know for sure if they did the hiv test. At that point I was having so many tests done and was so exhausted I just didn't care about anything but getting home and laying down.

smokey the elder
06-10-2007, 07:35 AM
Another good reason to do the test is that if Mom tests positive for FIV, she can get a single dose of a pill that will prevent transmission to the baby. (Disclaimer: I work for the company that makes this pill.)