PDA

View Full Version : What do we have in common? Interests and hobbies, besides animals!

Ann
07-17-2002, 04:50 AM
All the people here at Pet Talk has one thing in common; the love for animals. But I was wondering if we have other things in common too, which is why I'm starting this thread.

So, besides animals, what are your interests/hobbies?

Here's mine (in no particular order):

Reading (both books and comics), working on my website, taking photographs, writing, drawing, playing videogames, manga and anime (Japanese comics and cartoons), browsing the web, mythology and old religions, being out in forests and nature and much more.

Countries I want to visit in the future include Iceland, Australia, Japan and China.

Oki doki, that's me! What about you?

mugsy
07-17-2002, 05:02 AM
My other interests are: the environment, genealogy, photography, the American Civil War, and lots of other stuff.

Countries I'd like to visit: Ireland, Australia, Great Britain, and Iceland.

Former User
07-17-2002, 05:02 AM
Oh, what a cool thread!
I think you and I Ann have plenty in common!

Well, my hobbies include photography (can anyone tell :rolleyes: ), walking, listening music, surfing in the net, playing with C & K, reading books, comics and magazines. I also write good old fascioned letters (by my hands, not with the comp), and I collect poems, quotes and jokes. I also write a lot of emails, I like staying in contact with friends and family back in Finland. And I go out with Sandy (my best friend here in Belgium), and we do 'girl' stuff like shopping, gossiping and giggeling :D
And I also try to learn the language, but it's more or less on and off, I study when I feel like it LOL.

Countires I'd like to visit Japan, Norway (been there, but like to go back), England and Germany (been there too but like to go back).

I also love snow, too bad we don't have it much here in Belgium. And I prefer rain over warm weather (too bad we have too much rain here in Belgium;) ).
My fave time of the year is autumn and then winter.

So, that's something about me.

delidog
07-17-2002, 05:36 AM
good thoughts ann....
my interests...other than animals....MUSIC!!!
books,photography...camping,hiking.....anything outdoors....we go alot!!we have a new r.v....

countries that i'd like to visit...
maybe australia...though i doubt i'll get there....
i've travelled so much in my life....i enjoy just discovering all the great things in my back yard!!!!

Vio&Juni
07-17-2002, 08:31 AM
Nice to know more about the people you chat with almost everyday beside cats. We all know EVERYTHING concerning pets about each other LOL :)
Well, I like to run or just walk with the Hash House Harriers club (in Chisinau we meet every second Sunday). I find it a great opportunity to go out to the nature and meet some friends. I like to read good writers, in English, Romanian or Russian. I like to knit, to watch TV and .. OH, to take care of my plants, which invaded my apartment. I like to go out the Friday evenings, dance until morning. I said beside cats, but... I like to play with Juni a lot, to tickle, to kiss her and many other things.
I would like to visit Hungary and Germany again, Switzerland, Turkey, UK and Italy.

Gio
07-17-2002, 09:27 AM
Good topic!

My hobbies inlcude stained glass and other glass and non glass related crafts, music, photography, reading, arecheology and history. And travelling of course (even though I miss my pets an awful lot when I do!) There are many other things I would like to do but so little time.

Places I would like to visit: just take your Atlas out! :D It would be far easier to list the places I would not like to visit!. Certainly I would like to come to the US and I need to go to the UK at least once a year (I lived there for so long and most of my friends live there).

pupper-lover
07-17-2002, 10:53 AM
Hey! It's really interesting to read about what other people are in to, besides animals that is.

I am an architect. I love to draw, to design, and wander about looking at people and architecture. I love to take black and white photography. There is nothing more satisfying than taking, developing, and printing your own images. I love kids and enjoy plants, as well.

Taekwondo is a new activity in my life. In addition, I like swimming, running, hiking, and walking. Nutrition and vegan health are of interest to me.

I have been to China and the Virgin Islands. China was amazing and I hope I will be able to go back multiple times in the future. I hate to fly, but I still dream of going all over Europe, especially France, Greece, Sweden, and Ireland. The Virgin Islands are also a place I would like to go back and visit. Australia, Canada, South America, and all over Asia are on my list "to see". I think Africa would be interesting, but my knowledge of that area of the world is lacking.

Dixieland Dancer
07-17-2002, 11:06 AM
My dogs take up a great deal of my interests! I love to learn more about the canine behaviors and training methods. I enjoy learning more about the various venues of training and competing too. I am currently training in obedience, conformation and field as well as instructing obedience classes occassionally.

Non dog related, I love to sing. I sing at weddings and do solos at church as well as singing in the choir. I play the piano and clarinet. I do flower arrangments for friends and family when time permits. I love to give homemake crafty gifts instead of store bought! I enjoy camping and the outdoors (especially if we go somewhere the dogs can come). And last but not least, flower gardening!

I really have no desire to travel outside the United States but would love to visit Colorado, Oregon and Washington State. We are thinking of taking a train from Washington D.C. to the mid west and renting a RV and seeing parts of the west next year if God wills. I would also love to go on an Alaskan Cruise.

aly
07-17-2002, 11:24 AM
What??? There's life outside animals?? :D Hehe, jk, My life is pretty much consumed with caring for my animals and fosters but I do have other interests. I also love photography and can develop black and white film myself. I really want to start doing it more. I won first place at a country fair in high school for a photograph I took, developed, and printed myself. That was a proud moment. I also love kids and spend time with my baby second cousin whenever I can. When my cousin first had her, she got really sick so I was her second mom for about 7 months. Because of that, her first words were "woof woof". Hahah. I had her doing all the animal noises. I like to work out and do outdoor things as long as its not too hot. I LOVE the rain more than anything. An overcast day puts me in the best mood. I am also a firm believer that you can soak away your troubles in a nice bubble bath.

I'm a pretty big homebody and don't really like to travel. China and Japan do sound interesting to me, however.

momoffuzzyfaces
07-17-2002, 12:08 PM
Gosh, where to start! I do genealogy for my family and found some interesting ancestors, I love to read (The Cat Who books by Lilian Jackson Braun are my absolute favorites...naturally), I do one-stroke painting (or attempt to), I do scrapbooking (my pets have one all their own), I make envelopes from wrapping paper and old calendars. I love being on my computer and playing games and talking on Pet Talk (surprise, surprise, huh?) Before my arthritis got so bad, I loved to dance and have been known to still shake my bum on occasion. Spoiling my cats is in my top five favorite things to do though.:D

Former User
07-17-2002, 12:12 PM
Originally posted by momoffuzzyfaces
I make envelopes from wrapping paper and old calendars.

FINALLY someone else too, been doing that for years and years!!!:D

Logan
07-17-2002, 12:24 PM
How interesting to learn so many new things about all of you!! I admire each of you, not only for your love of pets, but for all the other things you love to do! :)

My number one thing, outside of my pets, is Helen. Whatever makes her happy makes me happy, and I can't wait to get her home on Sunday. Outside of that, I love to work in my yard. I have many, many projects that are not done yet, but will be eventually. I love to read, play the piano (not very well, I'm afraid), plus I am very involved in my church and love working on projects there. But, my biggest distraction, aside from all of this is the animals.....brushing, walking, cleaning, feeding, playing, hugging, etc. They are my life! :)

zippy-kat
07-17-2002, 12:39 PM
here goes:

I enjoy 3-d archery, calligraphy, making my own paper, writing, music, painting/drawing, scrap booking, I-net/computer stuff, and....it's hard to come up with stuff that doesn't involve animals! (aquariums, horses, horse-riding, etc etc)

Ok, I've heard several "I love nature" ppl comment--I'll be the 'wussy' oddball--gimme my electricity ANY day! (I *hate* camping! lol) But I do like rain and LOVE the snow.

Edwina's Secretary
07-17-2002, 01:15 PM
Politics (although I will keep them to myself for this forum!)

Books, books, books! I favor non-fiction -- although I do enjoy some fiction -- bought Sue Grafton's latest this week. History -- U.S. history, English history, WWII (European theatre), women's biographies. (This is my 3rd house -- have had bookshelves built in all of them!)

Bicycling and Jazzercise. (My husband does the Harley thing. I endure it rather than enjoy it.)

Gardening and...traveling....

I have been to 44 of the 48 continental states, Mexico (lived there), Canada, Colombia, England, France, Scotland, Ireland, Wales, Germany, Italy, Austria, Switzerland, the old Yugoslavia (now Slovenia, Serbia, Croatia, Bosnia), Greece, Turkey, and Egypt. Oh yes...various carribean island. I will go somewhere at the drop of a hat although I agree with Zippy -- my idea of "roughing it" involves electricity, running water, and clean sheets.

I'm enjoying this thread as I'm looking for a new creative outlook!
Making things from old calendars...hmmmm.

Pam
07-17-2002, 04:12 PM
I enjoy reading, working in the yard and garden, counted cross stitch projects although it's been a while since I've done one, the beach, playing with my furkids and spending time with my precious little grandson, Christian, who is 10 1/2 months old. :)

I would love to some day visit Ireland as that is where my father's roots are, but there is still a lot to see here in the US. If I had unlimited money and time I would just tour the entire country by car taking in all that each special state has to offer.

Cincy'sMom
07-17-2002, 04:16 PM
My interests outisde my dogs are rather diverse. I am a Biochemist, and interested in science. I love to read anything and everything. I have always loved sports, and have played softball for 18 years! In the past I played soccer, basketball volleyball, and ran track. In high school as was involved in all the music stuff ( choir, band, musicals) and I started dancing (jazz) 3 years ago. In fact, we will be performing at Disney World late this month!

krazyaboutkatz
07-17-2002, 04:37 PM
What a great thread. :) Thanks for starting it Ann. :) Some of my interests besides animals include:
photography- I just bought a digital camera
arts and crafts- I love to make my own cards, do cross stitch, I'm in the process of making a valance for my window
music- I love to listen to the radio, cd's, going to concerts
working out- I enjoy working out and try to do it at least four times a week, I also like to take walks when I can
movies, t.v.- I enjoy watching movies and certain t.v. shows
computer- I love learning more about the computer and e-mailing friends and family and of course posting at Pet Talk
I don't like camping either. I think I did enough of that when I was a girl scout. I don't travel much either but if I could go any where I'd like to visit Australia and I'd like to go to Hawaii again.

zippy-kat
07-17-2002, 04:53 PM
Originally posted by Edwina's Secretary
(My husband does the Harley thing. I endure it rather than enjoy it.)

:D Dad does the Harley thing too. I like ridin' motorcycles --*ahm* er... HAWGS :rolleyes: but not as much as I enjoy riding horses. Does your hubby have the full biker gear? Chaps, Leather Jacket, Vest, gloves, and that awful head bandana thing? I swear sometimes dad looks more like a misplaced pirate than a biker.

Our current bik-- errr...Hawgz are Molly (a '01 0r '02 Heritage Soft-tail) and Mortimer (a replica of a '57 Chopper). The first bike was a Dynoglide Convertible whom I named Schnookums. (Nuthin' like a sissy name to complete the macho image. "Molly" was actually "Princess" until he started calling Miz Sophie "Toad" :mad: :rolleyes: :D .)

Edwina's Secretary
07-17-2002, 05:04 PM
http://community.webshots.com/scripts/editPhotos.fcgi?action=viewall&albumID=24327346

You can see a picture of him on his Electraglide and his younger son on the Sportster. I assumed you have Harley blood as your mother is wearing a Harley t-shirt in my favorite bunny photo.

Thankfully, my husband limits his Harley gear. However, I tease him that his bike has more accessories than a Barbie doll. Chrome this, leather that. He collects t-shirts from the Harley store in every town we go to (Including Paris!)

Frankly I find riding very boring. My husband is a big man. When I am on the back of the bike all I can see is..."DOT Fiberglass" on the back of his helmet! I play word games with the letters. I was glad he got a new helmet. The old one just said DOT. :D

NoahsMommy
07-17-2002, 05:08 PM
How fun!!!

Let's see, what do I do??

*School: I am a psychology student currently at a Junior College (I work full-time and go to school at night). I plan to transfer to Cal State Berkeley in a few semesters, after our move up there in May. :) :) :) :)

*Reading: I LOVE Maya Angelou, I just finished her lastest book! I am also reading the Left Behind series. I love to read...from Fitness magazine to catalogs for cat toys...anything! I am also currently reading "Wooden", about UCLA coach John Wooden.

*Shopping!! Why can't I be rich?? (I can hear my mom and hubby saying...finish school and you may be able to go shopping! :D )

*Voluneteer work...I am currently a CASA (click here: CASA (http://www.nationalcasa.org/) to see what this is). It is really, really hard work, but I love that I can help a child that cannot help themselves.

*Toastmasters: I am the VP of Membership in my work club...it really helps with the public speaking skills I am working to develop. I give about 6-8 speeches a year. SCAREY...but fun! ;)

*My family and friends of course...this includes my furkids Noah and Noel....LOVE them so, so much!

*Church & bible study

*Technical courses online when I have a free moment...I like to update Noah & Noel's website and take TONS of pictures of them!

*Cooking: My hubby and I LOVE the "Food Network" and really enjoy cooking meals for each other. My hubby is really good at making yummy cookies! :)

Places to visit: Tahiti is topping our list! I would love to see most of the European countries, Alaska & Canada and of course ALL of the US!!

Sara luvs her Tinky
07-17-2002, 05:20 PM
My interest besides my cats are....
SWIMMING.... I am a total water baby.. I would live in the water if I could...
I love the beach.. I don't live too far from one but work too much to get there...
I love church.. I just love going to church and reading my Bible and learning all I can and TALKING about it!!
I love nature and rainy days too...
I love nice people...
I LOVE MY FAMILY!!
I love to go roller skating!!!
I love Techno music and dancing!!!
AND I LOVE GOOD FOOD... I could just eat some good food all day long!!

Places I wanna go ....
ALASKA... I have always wanted to there...
and Australia....
I love cruise ships... I have only been on one but It was so much fun and I want to go again..

zippy-kat
07-17-2002, 05:20 PM
I couldn't get the link you gave to work, Sara. I went the "long way" to see 'em, tho! Nice bikes! (and thank goodness the son wears a helmet! That's one thing I wish Dad would do...)

Mom isn't a "biker chick" at all--she has a couple of T-shirts but that's about it. When dad's decked out, she rolls her eyes & snickers along with me.

And oh yes... I know alllllll tooo well the "stop and get a shirt" routine! lol I think we made 3 stops coming home from vacation--would've made many more but thankfully not all the places were close to the interstate!

Fuzzy317
07-17-2002, 06:03 PM
... besides my pets, I do calligraphy and collect coins (not very active in those lately), and I go to motorcycle races to be part of the safety crew.

Here is a picture of me racing back in 1995:

http://members.aol.com/_ht_a/Fuzzy317/gs500.jpg

I will be corner working on the safety crew this weekend down in Jennings, Florida.

wolflady
07-17-2002, 06:46 PM
What a neat neat thread!! :D It's really interesting to learn more about all the Pet Talkers that I love so much!;)

Where to start! Well, I'm a huge animal fanatic and activist. When I have the time, I do all the volunteering I can. I loved working with wolves and it would be my dream to work with them as a career. Alas...that would be waaaaaaay down the road! Here in California, I've volunteered at the WCSV (Wildlife center of silicon valley) where I was a squirrel mom and I also helped out at Town Cats, a no-kill rescue.
I love learning about animal behavior and other animal related information. I'm planning on taking some Distance Learning courses for veterinary technicians from my old alma mater Purdue Univ!

I love my cats! They are my babies! Ok...ok! LOL outside of animals, I love to read. I can literally spend ALL DAY at a Borders or Barnes and Noble bookstore with my COFFEE!! LOL :D

I would like to become more fluent in my Spanish, and I'm currently having a friend teach me Telugu. I love languages. I find them fascinating.

I'm definitely an outdoorsy person. Give me some outdoors and camping anyday!! When I have the time, I like to go mountain biking, walking or rollerblading.

I've really gotten into yoga recently. I love it! I also am into step aerobics and cardio kickboxing.

I draw in my free time. My mom and dad wanted me to go to art school for my college, but I didn't. I went to Purdue instead and got a degree in computers, so that's another thing I'm into. I like graphics and being in charge of my company's (www.sandhillsystems.com) inter/intra net. If you look carefully at the changing banners at the top of the pages, you might see me! LOL :D The people in the banners are people that work in my company. I thought that would be a neat aspect for a company website. Creating webpages is fun, I just need to make a fun one for home to put my kitties on! LOL Keeping on top of technology is a must.

My best friend and I have really gotten into the Trance music, and anytime we get the chance, we love to go dancing on Saturday nights! The 1015 up in San Francisco is awsome! (www.1015.com) 4 dancefloors, 2 levels...all playing different types of music. I have a very eclectic taste in music also. I pretty much like everything. It just depends on my mood. So, I can go just about anywhere and be happy with whatever music is playing. From classical, oldies, new age, to rock, dance, trance, country, spanish, Indian....you name it!

I like to play instruments: clarinet and tenor sax. Band was my big thing in college which consumed most of my life. I was in the Purdue All American marching band all 4 years. I was also in Collegiate band, varsity band, variety band and was the Activities Committe Head for Tau Beta Sigma...honorary band sorority.

Places I'd love to visit:
Ireland to explore my family roots (specifically county Gallway where my ancestors come from), India, Italy, England and Scotland. Spain would be neat too:)
Many places in the US...but I'm afraid I've babbled on too long that I'll stop before I write my whole life story! :rolleyes: HA!! LOL

I love this! You all are wonderful fascinating people!
**hugs**

DoggiesAreTheBest
07-17-2002, 06:48 PM
Well,

I have many interests.

I am a huge health and fitness freak. I love running and rowing. My husband and I are big kayakers and rock climbers as well. Camping is fun to me.

I love reading too. I also love working with kids. I coach a rowing team of children and am a mentor during the school year to teenage girls with symptoms of eating disorders.

Then there's my interest and love for Animals!

Crikit
07-17-2002, 09:19 PM
Okay Hobbies:

Agility and soon to be flyball (starting classes in Sept with the Winter girl) but those are dog related, so other stuff hmmm...

Anime and Manga the goofier the better, Music I like pretty much anything for instance at the moment I'm listening to a song from the Color purple. Movies, love movies mostly comedies, the odd drama and action flick, cartoons, and foriegn films mostly asian ones, oh and musicals. Reading which is a good thing to like when you work in a book store :) Drama that ones kind of dying down though don't have time anymore, surfing the web, video games.

Places I'd like to visit: Other parts of Canada, yeah Alberta is nice but I wouldn't mind seeing some parts of the maritimes. Japan, and China, Tahiti or someother tropical island in that part of the world, Australia, Ireland and England, and parts of the Usa like Hawaii I would love to go to Hawaii again only to a greener island.

Puffin83
07-17-2002, 09:47 PM
Latin, Greek, calculus, analysis, radiation hydrodynamics, topology, all maths, engineering, pschology, metaphysics, history, cultures, FORESTS I LOVE FORESTS I LIVE IN FLORIDA THAT IS COVERED HALF IN FORESTS BEAUTIFUL AND MYSTERIOUS, PRIMORIDAL I SEE BLACK BEARS AND FLORIDA PANTHERS AS WELL AS DEER AND RABBITS!:D I love all science and modern art.

Ann
07-18-2002, 04:52 AM
Wohooo, this thread sure turned out good :D And it's SO fun to read about everyone's hobbies!

And I forgot to mention, I too like cross-stitching :)

Crikit, I am surprised, I wasn't expecting anyone to like manga and anime other than me! This was real fun to find out :)

lynnestankard
07-18-2002, 08:09 AM
HI EVERYONE - I REALLY COULDN'T MISS THIS THREAD - BENT WING OR NOT!!

SORRY ITS ALL IN CAPS. MAKES ONE FINGER 'PLONKING' A LITTLE EASIER!

OK HERE I GO - I ENJOY READING - ABSOLUTLEY ANYTHING AND EVERYTHING - INCL. FICTION & NON-FICTION, ESPECIALLY BIOGRAPHIES. ANYTHING HISTORICAL I REALLY ENJOY.
QUITE ENJOY MURDER/MYSTERIES TOO!

I LOVE CROSS STITCHING - AND MOST OF THEM ARE GIVEN AS PRESENTS - I DID TWO WEDDING SAMPLERS LAST YEAR AND THEY WERE WELCOMED SO MUCH, MAINLY I THINK BECAUSE OF THE TIME AND EFFORT THAT WENT INTO A VERY PERSONAL PRESENT - NOT SOMETHING BOUGHT IN A STORE!

I LOVE DOING 'CRAFT' PROJECTS BEING MOSIAC TILING OR GLASS PAINTING AND MAKING MY OWN BIRTHDAY/CHRISTMAS CARDS.
I ENJOY BAKING AND FILLING THE KITCHEN WITH GORGEOUS YUMMY SMELLS - TROUBLE IS, NOW THE GIRLS ARE NO LONGER AT HOME IF I EAT THE GOODIES - I'M PUTTING WEIGHT ON!!!

TRAVELLING IS WONDERFUL - A FRIEND AND I ARE PLANNING A VISIT TO ALASKA - BUT WE DON'T WANT TO DO THE 'CRUISE SHIP' THING. WE'VE PLANNED OUR ROUTE USING THE FERRIES - AND WE CAN VISIT THE PLACES WE WANT TO SEE - NOT WHERE THE BOAT TAKES US!
BUT THERE ARE SOOOOOO MANY PLACES I WANT TO VISIT BEFORE I GET TOO OLD!!
I'VE VISITED ITALY, FRANCE AND SPAIN (REGULARLY!). AND OF COURSE NOW DIANE LIVES IN CHICAGO WE'VE VISITED THERE AND NASHVILLE AND NEW YORK - GREAT PLACE!

I DON'T KNOW IF I DARE PUT THIS - BUT I ENJOY BIKING!!!! NO DON'T ALL SHOUT AT ME - IT WAS AN ACCIDENT!!!!! I WAS LOOKING FORWARD TO A SUMMER OF BIKING - SHAME!

ANOTHER HOBBY ON HOLD IS LINE DANCING! GREAT STUFF, KEEPS ME FIT AND IT;S JUST SO MUCH FUN! I WAS ACTUALLY GOING TO TAKE PART IN THE CLOSING CEREMONY OF THE COMMONWEALTH GAMES TAKING PLACE IN MANCHESTER AT THE END OF JULY - BUT I CAN'T DO IT NOW! BOO HOO!! DON AND OTHER FRIENDS ARE STILL GOING TO DO IT THOUGH.

I LOVE MEETING PEOPLE, GOING OUT FOR DINNER , I ADORE FILMS AND GOING TO THE THEATRE. AND THE OCCASSIONAL LIVE CONCERT.

OH AND LOOKING AFTER THE THREE MUSKETEERS!!!!!!!!!!

MISS YOU ALL- THANKS TO THE ONES WHO HAVE SENT ME P.M. AND EMAILS - YOU KNOW WHO YOU ARE!!! {{{{}}}}

LOVE

LYNNE
xxx

anna_66
07-18-2002, 09:39 AM
My interests:
First and foremost~just being with my husband!
Anything having to do with my dogs!
I love to read, but mostly just Stephen King novels.
Gardening and canning.
Watching movies-expecially scarry ones!
I'm not a real exciting person, just pretty much a homebody!
I really love Harleys! I've had a couple of bikes in my life, but never could afford a Harley. My parents (die hard bikers, they just got back from Arizona last month-they live in S.C,.! Over 2000 one way!!) have owned one since I was a baby. I just wish Mark liked them as much as I do! And I had to laugh about the *bandana thing*!!!!! This is why:
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid26/p8ba69e2c7d4b404078e3cac7150401cb/fd85071f.jpg
My mom & dad had just rode their bike up to my house Saturday, so mom wanted to get a couple pics of Roxey with her ~hadji~ that's what she calls her bandana!
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid26/p3ddb6303a7ddf681f4769dd82780db3a/fd850727.jpg

mruffruff
07-18-2002, 10:10 AM
Such a diverse group!

I enjoy reading, everthing but especially a good mystery. Sue Grafton, Michael Connelly, etc. It's rare that I don't have a book in process.

I also do volunteer grooming for the shelter.

Most of my free time is spent doing home repair. I have all the tools and a bunch of books. Sewing, home decorating and crafts all combine to keep me very busy.

I would love to visit Mexico. My grandaughter and I are learning a couple of words a day of Spanish, just for fun. I took 3 years in high school (a million years ago).

I also am trying to tame a stray cat that eats with the other two strays every morning at 6AM and at 7PM.

Mary

Albea
07-18-2002, 12:35 PM
This is a great thread to get to know our cyber friends!
So, here I am, in a nutshell. Because I spent 38 years of my life in the theatre, designing sets and costumes, history and all the arts have always been more than interests or hobbies, they were my life. Since I retired, I haven't stayed too far away from those areas. I edit and design the newsletter and do all the graphic work for The Ballard Institute and Museum of Puppetry, where I'm also a Trustee. I also design art jewelry.
My volunteer work for Yankee Golden Retriever Rescue fulfills the side of me that loves animals and wants to help them as much as possible.
I'm not an outdoors person, but I love to work in my garden. Reading, especially history and biographies, is also something I've always done.
Travel has also been a very large part of my life. I lived as a student in Paris and spent almost a year, on and off, in London. I've been to all the countries in Western Europe plus Findland and Russia. There is still one place where I would love to go: China.
The trade-off for all these activities was that I didn't have a dog. I thought it was unfair to keep a dog in an apartment in New York and Chicago. But, ever since I moved to Connecticut and bought a house, 25 years ago, I always had my faithful companions by my side:) and was very lucky to have some of my wonderful graduate students staying with the dogs when I needed to go away.

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
07-18-2002, 12:39 PM
Oooohhh...were to start...I enjoy so many things, but I'll start with what has been taking up most of my time lately (besides work which is a hobby I could do without....but then again, maybe not). ;)

We recently bought a 40' diesel pusher motorhome. We both enjoy traveling so much and this is the perfect way to do it, just wish I could bring T&P with me. Someday we hope to be full-timers and see the entire Continent in it.

I also enjoy reading, mostly non-fiction the latest being a book being basically about the franchising of the world and how American corporations are really taking over in every corner of the world - not exactly what I want to see. Poking around in the backyard is something I wish I had more time for. My rose bushes are looking a little peek-ed this year. :( Then there are the Corvettes and Harleys (Sarah, be glad your hubby wears a helmet, I can't get Terry to wear one although I'm still trying) which we each have one of (mine is a '94 Softtail Heritage). And we've recently started riding our bicycles more since we can take them in the motorhome and sometimes they are our only transportation since we haven't rigged up a tow-vehicle yet. Between all this, getting all the pictures off the digital camera, keeping up with friend and family activities, spending *some* time with T&P and trying to relax a bit, there hasn't been time for much else. There are so many other things that I'm interested in that I would love to find time for - gardening more seriously (tuxluvr, I love your butterfly garden!), volunteering with pets and with elders or veterans homes, history, geography, traveling to and learning more about other countries, and I could go on and on and on.

I've been to Canada and Mexico briefly, many of the different states (mostly west and am really looking forward to an East Coast trip this fall), SouthWest Germany, NorthEast France, and Switzerland. I would love to go back to Switzerland, see more of Germany and visit many of the other "Northern European" countries like Poland, Norway, Sweden, etc., along with more of France, Russia, a jungle safari, Australia..ooohhh...ok, you name it and it's almost for sure that I would like to go there. :) Great thread Ann. :)

Logan
07-18-2002, 12:41 PM
All the things I mentioned earlier, I love so much, but how could I have left out my newest hobby, which is working with rescue?? Especially since I have a house full of dogs right now!!! And I'm doing something that I swore I never would, and that is fostering, for the first time!! I volunteer for All Pets Rescue and for Foothills Golden Retriever Rescue, and I can't think of a more fulfilling thing to do! :)

lovemymaltese
07-18-2002, 01:19 PM
other interests: reading, being with family/friends, bowling, and my favorite cooking. I hope to visit Paris and Thailand one day. My goal: finish college and marry my high school sweetheart.

Cincy'sMom
07-18-2002, 01:25 PM
*Cooking: My hubby and I LOVE the "Food Network" and really enjoy cooking meals for each other. My hubby is really good at making yummy cookies!

I also love the food network! Emeril is my favorite! We went to his resteraunt at Universal last summer and are going again in 2 weeks! I CAN NOT WAIT!!!!!

mugsy
07-18-2002, 02:39 PM
Mike and I like Emeril too. He's such a goof! Our other favorite show is Trading Spaces because we're both interested in home improvement, although Mike does all the work and we shop together. I forgot about counted cross stitch...I haven't done it in years, but I sure did enjoy it when I did it...maybe I should start again...it's a great stress reliever.

Kfamr
07-18-2002, 02:40 PM
Basically my life is Simba, Music, and the Beach.

I love to do anything dealing with water. The beach, the pool, the rain. I love to swim, rollarblade, write poems, draw. PHOTOGRAPHY [could you tell?]. And even though i'm not all that good... i LOVE to sing. I don't care if it's only a few words in the song i know. I sing along to the song. Even if it's britney spears... i sing along to the song. Music is everything to me. First thing i do when i get up in the morning is turn my radio on. Other things i like are: Playing my guitar, going on my wave runner[ which has been in the shop FOREVER :( ] staying up late [i HATE mornings, love staying uop late] LOL is it just me or is starting to sound like one of thoose "I Love long strolls on the beach and cadle light dinners" lmao... i'll stop boring you.

Oh yeah and I also LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE to cook. My brother say's i shouyld be Emeril's wife. My brother always asks me to cook him something when he comes over... Hehe sometimes when i make myself breakfast [which isn't all that ofton] I make Simba scrambled eggs and make an extra peice of bacon just for him! [spoiled? NAH!]

Kfamr
07-18-2002, 02:44 PM
Originally posted by mugsy
Our other favorite show is Trading Spaces because we're both interested in home improvement, although Mike does all the work and we shop together.

Me and my dad LOVE that show. We like the old guy [god i'm bad with names] I think his name is Frank???

We also like the A-team.... We've watched that show together ever since i was little.

mugsy
07-18-2002, 02:48 PM
Yep KayAnn,,,his name is Frank. He's my favorite too. I don't like Doug or Hildy. I also like Genevieve. Let me guess...you like to watch it for Ty!! lol Mike LOVES the A-team...he watches it a lot too.

Rottieluver45
07-18-2002, 04:03 PM
Originally posted by mugsy
Mike and I like Emeril too. He's such a goof! Our other favorite show is Trading Spaces because we're both interested in home improvement, although Mike does all the work and we shop together. I forgot about counted cross stitch...I haven't done it in years, but I sure did enjoy it when I did it...maybe I should start again...it's a great stress reliever.

Emiril`s reallywierd!!

And I love The Show trading spaces!! Did you see the show where Ty and Amy Got make overs!! That was a good show!! And I like cross stitching! I`m working on this quilt thing but it`s getting really difficult!!Mugsy I watch Trading Spaces for Ty!! :D What`s the A-Team? I`ve heard of It but I never watch it!

mugsy
07-18-2002, 04:13 PM
Well, I KNEW there would be at least ONE female on this board that watched Trading Spaces for Ty! lol Yes, I did see the episode of the make overs. Ty didn't look all that different, but Amy looked totally different.

The A-Team is a show from the 70s about a group of Vietnam vets who are on the lamb, but they are do-gooders...kind of like Robin Hood! lol

As for a cross stitched quilt...you are FAR more ambitious than I !!!

Cincy'sMom
07-18-2002, 04:25 PM
Originally posted by Rottieluver45

Emiril`s reallywierd!!

Maybe so, but I have to tell you...if you ever get a chance to go to one of his resteraunts (Orlando, vegas, New Orleans) GO! Absolute best meal of your life!!!!!

Rottieluver45
07-18-2002, 04:31 PM
Originally posted by Cincy'sMom

Maybe so, but I have to tell you...if you ever get a chance to go to one of his resteraunts (Orlando, vegas, New Orleans) GO! Absolute best meal of your life!!!!!

Have you been?

Rottieluver45
07-18-2002, 04:46 PM
Another site that I go to is neopets! It`s really fun! You have neopets and neopoints If you have nothin to do you can go there and you can become my noefriend my name is crazygyrl144! :D It`s really fun!

Cincy'sMom
07-18-2002, 04:52 PM
Originally posted by Rottieluver45

Have you been?

Yes, we went last year in orlando. Had a hard time getting reservations 4 days in advance! we are calling next week to get in for the following week, when we will beon vacation in Florida! Can't wait!!

Rottieluver45
07-18-2002, 05:56 PM
Only 683 neopoints!! But I got some weird e-mail from some girl that said she hacked in to my account,but i`m not sure if she meant my neopets acount or my e-mail account!what`s you neopets screen name?

Kater
07-18-2002, 07:22 PM
I am a recovering neopet addict! tehehehehee... You guys reminded me so now I'm logging in to collect interest....my current balance is 445,361 NP! eeeek!

Rottieluver45
07-18-2002, 08:06 PM
How come everyone has more np than me????????:D LOL! Kater What`s your neopets name!!!

Crikit
07-18-2002, 09:07 PM
Originally posted by Ann
Crikit, I am surprised, I wasn't expecting anyone to like manga and anime other than me! This was real fun to find out :)

Are you kidding I love the stuff, in fact sometimes it's almost as bad as the dog stuff becuase I get watching a series and then the video store doesn't get thedvds or tapes right away so then I start obsessing and getting mad at them only they don't know that.

Oh and I to am a trading spaces junkie, I watch it not only for the cool things they do to the rooms but also for Ty.

wolf_Q
07-19-2002, 03:09 AM
Very interesting thread. Too bad I'm not a very interesting person, lol. Oh well I'll begin to ramble anyway.

I think I live in some sort of world of obsession. My first obession (which has mysteriously followed me since early childhood) is WOLVES. It's pathetic what my room looks like. Along with wolves, I love animals of every kind--especially my dogs. :) I've wanted to get a husky my entire life, and now I have one...I love him even though he's a little bugger sometimes. Reggie and Smokey have been with me for so long, I never remember not having a dog.

Art is another obsession that has followed me since early childhood. I have always loved to draw, and it has combined with my love of animals. I don't think anyone could possibly have drawn wolves as many times as me. ;) I've messed around with many different mediums, but I still go back to my favorite, prismacolors. I love photography too! I've always had a camera with me at all times, heh. And last year in school I took a photography class. It was great to take and develop your own pics! I use the computer for art too, I'm constantly messing with adobe photoshop.

Music! I LOVE the group U2! I have loved them since I was about 11. I have probably 40 or more cds (including singles, live shows, etc.) along with tons of videos, shirts, posters, books...yeah, the works. I was lucky enough to go to 3 Elevation concerts (Salt Lake City, Denver, Las Vegas) and I have to say it was almost like a spiritual experience for me! For the SLC show we waited in the G.A. line for over 12 hours with basically no food or water. Nuts eh? There's many other rock/alternative bands I like too...a few off the top of my head...Our Lady Peace, Alanis Morissette, Travis, Jimmy Eat World, No Doubt (3 concerts of theirs too--though 2 of them were opening for U2 ;) ).....

Ummm...I like to read also. Some of my favorite books are The Loop by Nicholas Evans, The Lord of the Rings by J.R.R. Tolkien, and a lot of the books by Michael Crichton such as The Lost World and Timeline. T.V./movies are great too. The Simpsons is the best! It's brilliant. :) For the drama catagory, I have a thing for CSI. Movies....well I love them all...I have too many to name...I can't wait to see Austin Powers Goldmember! Teehee.

I love the outdoors. I don't know what I'd do if I didn't wake up to see my mountains every morning. We have a 5th wheel and go camping often. We also have some property. So far we have a shed up there...maybe a cabin eventually (too bad we're poor!) My friends and got into this weirdo hobby called Geocaching. Has anyone heard of it? It's really amusing...if you enjoy wandering through trees and brush...or downtown with people staring at you...for hours...lol.

KayAnn--I like to cook too! Melissa and I came up with our own special recipe for Fetucinne Alfredo, heh. I just don't like cleaning up the mess. ;)

As for places I'd like to visit--first off, I'd go to Ohio. Rachel lives there, and I've been wanting to meet her for like 5 years now..so....lol. I'd like to see the rest of the U.S. period. I've only really been in some of Utah's surrounding states. Even if it means saving my entire life, I *want* to visit Europe some day! I'd love to go to Ireland (U2...) and Switzerland (my bro spent 2 years there).

Umm...things I don't like.......not in common with some of you guys....I'm not a water person. It freaks me out. I do love to wade in rivers/lakes though. I don't like anime. Maybe I just don't get it. I had friends in school completely obsessed with it, and quite frankly, it was a little frightening. They all had their own characters of themselves, and I really think they believed they could shoot spikes out of their fingers or something. lol. I have never even heard of the show Trading Spaces (could be the fact that I don't have cable...) Anyhoo...

Told you I would ramble (well it's 2 a.m. and I'm quite bored...). You know what my life is really like (come on, I live in Utah, I must be boring)? I stay up half the night, wake up at 7:00 to Nebo barking at me, wander around half asleep for a few hours...take a shower...and do nothing...which usually involves the computer....yeah I'm still looking for a job. :)

Ann
07-19-2002, 05:02 AM
Originally posted by Crikit
Are you kidding I love the stuff, in fact sometimes it's almost as bad as the dog stuff becuase I get watching a series and then the video store doesn't get the dvds or tapes right away so then I start obsessing and getting mad at them only they don't know that.

LOL, I understand how you feel. I had to buy all my stuff imported at a very high price >_< But oh well!

So what series do you watch/read??

Thanks to everyone who's participated in this thread, it's been great reading about everyone's hobbies and getting to know you all better! :)

DoggiesAreTheBest
07-19-2002, 08:14 AM
Amy, You just reminded me that I forgot to wirte down one of my most favorite interests, Cooking! I think I inhertited it from y mother who is an excellent cook!

I actually have my own cookbook that I put together over the past few years. I love entertaining and cooking for Andrew when we are together on the weekends.

The Cat Factory
07-19-2002, 09:58 AM
My Interests (other then pets, of course!):

Star Trek, Star Wars, Playing Nintendo, TV, Movies, Computers, Photography, working on my website, surfing the net, WWE wrestling.

Countries I'd like to visit: Egypt, Switzerland,

Rottieluver45
07-19-2002, 03:02 PM
Originally posted by The Cat Factory
Star Trek, Star Wars

If you like star trek there is this really good board that you can go to to here`s the website

Star Trek Site (http://forums.section31.com/cgi-bin/bbs/ultimatebb.cgi)

My Mom goes there!(she`s an Admin)

Crikit
07-19-2002, 06:55 PM
Originally posted by Ann

So what series do you watch/read??

I've watched alot of different stuff ranging from Neon Genesis Evangelion to Marmalade boy but I would have to say my faves are Fushigi Yugi, Ranma 1/2, Ceres, Marmalade Boy, Trigun and Rorunini Kenshin...I'm still wating to watch the rest of the Kenshin series though.

What about you Ann?

Randi
07-20-2002, 12:13 PM
My interests varies a little from summer to winter, but in the summer I like to spend some time in our garden, rearranging and planting. I also enjoy going out in town (bars, restaurants) with friends. I like cycling around (not too far and hilly!)
Most of all I love traveling. Have been to England, Switzerland, Holland, Spain, Greece and Dominican Republic. Would love to go to New Sealand, Antigua, St Lucia and South Africa, Califonia, New York and lots of other places. And I like reading travel books.

I'm also trying to learn spanish - apart from the grammar, it's not that difficult! ;)

I've been interested in IT since 1986 and have learned quite a bit, but there's still a long way to go!

Since I worked for the Danish Filminstitute, I've taken up video and I quite enjoy editing my own videos (HI8>VHS). Earlier, while John was working as a photographer, I quite enjoyed developing black/white pics.

Musicwise, I like rock, blues and classical the most.

I quite enjoy cooking new things, and are collecting good recipees! ;)

In the winter, I watch a lot of TV (getting lazy). The programmes I prefer are good films, some of my favourite actors are Michael Caine, Robert de Niro, Al Pachino, Sean Connery and Jeremy Irons .... I could go on and on. A series I really enjoyed was Brideshead Revisited - and recently, Monarch of the Glen.

In the comedy field I like: Fawlty Towers, Yes Minister, Absolutely Fabulous, and I like most of the stuff Michal Moore and Ruby Wax did. I too enjoy quiz programmes and Parkinson. But I also find programmes about archeologi, aviation, nature and meteorology - and not least, programmes about big cats, fascinating!! Would love to work with them in the wild, and I honestly think I would be good at it, but I'm gettin too old for that.

That's about enough for now! :D

It's been nice to get to know you all a little better! ;)

Former User
07-20-2002, 12:19 PM
YAY Randi, another one who likes Absolutely fabulous! Aren't Eddy and Patsy just crazy? LOL! So hilarious!

Randi
07-20-2002, 12:27 PM
Great you like it too Niina! :D Wish they'd make some more! They are hilarious! Did you know that Jennifer is married to Adrian Edmundson from "The young ones"? Can't be boring! :D

By the way, I've heard that the spanish don't like Fawlty Towers and have changed Manuel to being an italian. Will have to ask Nita or Koxka about that? LOL!

I wonder how many of these I mentioned, are shown in USA. :confused: They may have some we're missing! :eek:

Former User
07-20-2002, 12:31 PM
I have no idea Randi... Do you like any other British series?
I also like to watch As Time Goes by. We have BBC on quite a lot, we watch also Changing Rooms, Ground Force, Bargain Hunt... to name a 'few'... :rolleyes:

Randi
07-20-2002, 02:34 PM
If this one "Essential Europe" (I think it's called) is coming on, watch it! It's really funny! George Cole plays a middle aged man travelling around Europe with his "under the thumb" wife, who is really quite together and a lot smarter than him!

Also the 90th. birthday party is worth watching! They show it here every New Years eve.

koxka
07-20-2002, 03:14 PM
Hi Randi,I liked Fawlty Tower:D,I saw it in Catalan TV,so Manuel turned to be a Mexican!not to
offend spanish people.I don't known if it was shown in spanish TV.I absolutely liked Yes Minister,also Brideshead Revisited and many other british series,they are the best!
What is Absolutely Fabolous?Sometimes the title changes from country to country.
The american series I like Frasier,Ally Mcbeal esp.the early chapters,and others I don't remember the name.:confused:

OH,I'm in love with Robert de Niro,I just go to wacht his films just because he is in.

Koxka:cool:

Randi
07-20-2002, 03:56 PM
Hola Koxka!

Here's a few links to Ab Fab, take a look and you may recognise them. ;) They're raving lunatics, but funny!

Ab Fab page (http://www.bbc.co.uk/comedy/abfab/)

Another page (http://www.sfo.com/~dbolton/redux/abdex3.htm)

And one more in french (http://homepages.nat.fr/~jorionpi/abfab.htm)

So Manuel turned into a Mexican? LOL! :D I think it's been shown in Spain too! I'm glad you like it!

Sorry, I think we're getting out of line here! :rolleyes:

koxka
07-20-2002, 04:42 PM
Sorry,not Ab Fab yet at any TV channel here!:(
I'm looking forward to seeing it,itlooks hilarious:D

Koxka:cool:

Rottieluver45
07-20-2002, 06:22 PM
I also like the show Friends!If you`ve never seen it...you need to!! It`s such a good Show!

krazyaboutkatz
07-20-2002, 11:57 PM
Randi, I've seen Absolutely Fabulous and it's so funny. I haven't watched it for quite a while though. I also like to watch Friends, Frazier, Scrubs,and ER. :D

Ann
07-22-2002, 07:12 AM
I've watched alot of different stuff ranging from Neon Genesis Evangelion to Marmalade boy but I would have to say my faves are Fushigi Yugi, Ranma 1/2, Ceres, Marmalade Boy, Trigun and Rorunini Kenshin...I'm still wating to watch the rest of the Kenshin series though.

What about you Ann?

I've seen a wide range, basically anything I could get my hands on over here. I haven't seen/read many full series though, since it's so hard to get them and it's pretty expensive.

Some of my favorite series include X (known as X/1999 in the USA), Gundam Wing, Zetsuai, Tokyo Babylon and many more. I would wanna get my hands on Ceres really bad, but so far no luck :(

And I forgot to mention, I also have a big hobby in making things out of those nice colored clays that you put in the oven to make them hard! Here's a few examples of things I've done:

http://www.peachkin.com/pics/clay-rose.jpg

http://www.peachkin.com/pics/clay-roses.jpg

http://www.peachkin.com/pics/clay-bear.jpg

And I enjoy baking alot, and decorating cakes with marzipan figurines like this (http://www.peachkin.com/pics/cake.jpg).

AdoreMyDogs
07-22-2002, 08:44 PM
What a great thread! My name is Leslie and I am 27 years old. I will have been married for 3 years as of November 5th, 2002. My husband and I are the best of friends. In fact, he's the best friend I have ever had. I am also extremely close to my mother, as she is also my very best friend, as well as my mother. I treasure what I have with my mom, as it is not all that common. My dad died when I was just 11 months old so my mom was a stay-home mom to me and my two brothers, which have caused us to have the best relationship with her. I have two brothers: My older brother is Justin, who is 29 and a younger brother Jesse, who is 25.

I do computer desktop support for a publishing company. The company I work for publishes trade magazines, not real interesting ones for that matter :) I have been at my job for close to 3 years. It's a decent job but the pay is very poor and since 9-11, no one in the company has received any bonuses (including the usual Christmas bonus that everyone really looks forward to) nor as any pay raises, and benifits have also decreased a huge amount. I enjoy having a job but I am sick of having such crummy pay, and it's doing stuff that I don't thoroughlly enjoy anyway. Change is in the air.

I enjoy anything outdoors. I love the water, although I hate being in a bathing suit for obvious reasons :) I so much enjoy dog training and trained dogs. My dream job would also be to own/operate a doggie daycare center/dog training facility, just like Candy dreams of. I would also love to train dogs for Leader Dogs For The Blind, as their headquarters are very close to me.

I am also a homebody. Home is so important to me, so I like keeping things tidy and decorating and cooking and cleaning and baking. I really love gardening and look forward to being able to start my own garden at the new house. I simply can't wait to pick out the interior color schemes for my new house either :)

I also enjoy playing on the computer but I have little time these days :)

mugsy
07-22-2002, 09:10 PM
Leslie, if it makes you feel any better, I haven't owned a bathing suit since 1984!! lol

Gio
07-23-2002, 10:47 AM
Lovely things you do Ann!

Randi
07-23-2002, 11:05 AM
Originally posted by Gio
Lovely things you do Ann!
I can't agree more! I wish I could make these marcipan flowers, would look great on top of a Sarah Bernard - uhmm, I fell like having one now with my coffee! :p

Former User
07-23-2002, 12:15 PM
Ann, those are beautiful! I used to make them too, but that was looooong time ago, when I was just a little girl ;)
I'd still like to do them, maybe I should....

Randi
07-23-2002, 04:12 PM
Originally posted by Casper & Kitty
I'd still like to do them, maybe I should...
NO don't!!! You'll get fat - and then you definately can't get out of that soft thingy - you may end up as Edwina! (AB Fab) :D

Former User
07-23-2002, 04:14 PM
Originally posted by Randi

NO don't!!! You'll get fat - and then you definately can't get out of that soft thingy - you may end up as Edwina! (AB Fab) :D

Hah, too late, I am fat already! ;)

Puffin83
07-23-2002, 05:17 PM
I love forests and bears and wild cats, like panthers and mt. lions. California has pristine forests of redwood and cougars live on wild untouched beaches and coastal forests.

Ann
07-24-2002, 05:44 AM
Thanks everyone! :) Glad you liked them! I love doing stuff like that in my spare time.

jennifert
07-24-2002, 02:47 PM
Well, I am obviously more than a little late replying to this thread! I loved reading about everyone and their interests!
My name is Jennifer (obviously) and I'm 30 years old. I was born and raised here in Syracuse, NY. I love my hometown and have no plans to leave. I did live in NYC in Manhattan a few years back but I missed my family and got sick of living underground, spending half my day on a subway, and seeing rats everyday of my life! I love NYC but I would never live there again!!! Unless I was a millionaire of course!

I noticed that there are a lot of artistic people here! I, unfortunately, am not one of them! I can do paint-by-number but that's about it. I knit and I enjoy it but all my blankets come out a little crooked!:o :rolleyes:

In the summer time, I am outside as much as possible! I love taking Duncan for walks and to the dog park. My best friend owns a boat and she keeps it in a resort town on the St. Lawrence River about 1 1/2 hours from here so I go there every weekend to relax. I love camping, boating, swimming, hiking anything outdoors in the summer! I'm a sunshine junkie!! (With SPF 45 on of course, because I'm Irish and burn!!) The winter is a different story!!! I don't enjoy any outdoor activites if it gets under 70!! ;) I used to ski but gave it up because I don't like to be cold!!

I work a second job as a bartender at Applebee's restaurant 2 nights a week in the summer and 4 in the winter. So that keeps me very busy too. But it's fun, most of the time!! There are nights when I leave my day job and just want to go home and relax but for the most part I enjoy it. It definitely keeps me busy. On my nights off I have to do laundry and housework and errands, etc....

I am very close with my mother and father also and spend as much time with them as I am able too. I have an older brother who is a doctor, married to a doctor that lives in Maryland, that I adore. They are expecting their first baby in November. My younger sister lives here and has 3 children. I'm not as close with her as I would like....maybe someday....

I love to read and will read almost anything I can get my hands on! Sometimes I feel like the library is running out of books for me!! I love the Lillian Jackson Braun Cat Who books also...as well as John Grisham, Mary Higgins Clark, the "Bridgit Jones" type authors too.

I LOVE Harley Davidsons but I don't get to enjoy them often since I dont' have one!! I do have a motorcycle, a 1972 Honda 250 that I bought to learn how to ride on. I haven't used it the past year and will probably sell it. I enjoy it but it's not conducive to 85 lb dogs!!! I do attend every motorcycle event I can in the area though to gawk!

I have a BS in Psychology but I work at an insurance company. It's a terrible job and I despise it and will hopefully be getting a new one soon! *fingers crossed* I don't watch much tv because of my busy schedule but I do love Law and Order reruns! Movies, totally out of the question!!! I can't sit still long enough to watch one!! I did see Harry Potter in the movie theater but since I had already read the book I knew what was going to happen and I fell asleep!!
I hope to get back into horseback riding and do some volunteer work once I get a new job and am able to quit the 2nd job!! As it is now, I spend a lot of time just taking care of Duncan and myself!

As for traveling, I would love to be able to travel around the United States. The only other country I have been to is Canada. I would love to travel to Europe someday but for the most part I'm happy here. I'm not very adventurous I guess:o :o So many of my friends have traveled and moved to other states and cities but I am perfectly happy right here!!

Well, I've babbled long enough. I'm finding myself pretty boring compared to the rest of you!! :o :confused: :)

What a great bunch of people here at Pet Talk!!

Heather Wallace
07-25-2002, 05:10 PM
Hi, not as interesting as all of you but here I go.

I am a Avon rep so I lot of my time is spent doing that, also running my small pet sitting service. At the moment I am doing a home study course on dogs.

Besides looking after the rabits and cats, I also like to do some gardening, like resturants, especially of the chinese variety. I love to listen to music and I also love to buy new clothes (when I can afford it).

Because I have only lived in England for a short while, unfortunatley I dont have many friends here. My friend from back home in Scotland came to visit last week, so it was really nice to see here then.

I am hoping to start an exercise programme soon, one that is badly needed. Also love photography and taking pics, had some of my pics shown last year in the library.

Aspen and Misty
07-26-2002, 02:08 PM
Well I am a little late to. But my intest are...

Work, takeing care fo my Chewy baby, walking, reading, writing, hanging with freinds, swiming, going for boat rides . I know I don't lead a very interesting life, but thats ok, there is nothing to do in williamsport.

NoahsMommy
08-01-2002, 02:56 PM
Very cool Ann! Is it hard to do?

Randi
02-14-2003, 12:38 PM
BUMP! Any newbies want to share? :D

Barbara
02-14-2003, 01:06 PM
I'm not exactly a newbie but in my first half year I only checked the threads on the cat board.

I read all the time, even in the bathroom with Filou on my shoulder and brushing my teeth (you will notice there is still one hand for a book).
Among my favourites are (from serious to not-too serious) Thomas Mann, Charles Dickens, Joseph Conrad, Sue Grafton, Sara Paretsky, Elizabeth George, Tad Williams.

I like to travel.
Have been to US/Canada West Coast, Mexico, France, Belgium, Finland, Sweden, Netherlands, Luxemburg, Italy, Spain, France, Greece, Austria, Switzerland, Sri Lanka, Malaysia, Singapore, Indonesia, Morocco.
Would like to see all the other.

I go to dance classes (Jazz and Hiphop) twice a week and like to hike an to treck in the Alps in summertime. Unfortunately I have not as much time as I'd like for kayaking.

Edwina's Secretary
02-14-2003, 02:42 PM
Barbara,

I meet Sara Paretsky. She and I were involved in the same group helping disadvantaged women.

I have always admired her personally as well as her books!

Neat lady....

(I also think she has a terrific name ;) )

Desert Arabian
02-14-2003, 03:24 PM
I love boating/tubing, fishing, "another outdoor hobby, which I won't mention, because I will get bashed again-starts with H, photography, volunteering at Camp Anokijig (http://www.anokijig.com) (Ano-Key-Gee), horseback riding-Western and bareback, teaching hunters safety, watching t.v., playing with my neighbors dogs for 6 hours straight, Pet Talk, sleeping, drawing & painting, poetry (when I am inspired to write it), reading, cleaning other peoples houses (NOT MINE!), hiking, studying wildlife and animals, watching Lord of the Rings as much as possible, traveling, I could go on and on....but I'll stop for now.

I would love to travel to Australia/New Zeland, Ireland, Scotland, and Africa.

RockyRoad
02-14-2003, 03:51 PM
Hey how'd I miss this?? Oh well I'm not a newbie but I'll say it anyway ...

Ok my hobbies... Sleeping(my fave), going online, Pet Talk(well yeah that's why I'm here lol), eating(not to joke ... I looove food!), basketball, hanging out with my friends, talking(non-stop for that matter), school(well only for social studies and art), TV, video games, writing stories...etc...

My favorite animals (I'm not ashamed to put them; people say I'm depressing because of my favorite animals lol): wolf, weasel, chicken, snake, & owl, oh yeah and hawk too.

My favorite movies are Titanic(yes after all those years it's been out I still love it), Darkness Falls(Anyone see that? That was the BEST!), The Ring(of course), The Fall of the House of Ushers(it was better than the story), Freddy Kruger(sp?) series, Child's Play series(loved the 1st one when the guy first gets in the dolls body), Scream series, Halloween series, The Exorcist, any other horror movies I did not mention (I LIVE on horror!)

Yep ... that's me! :D

Cookiebaker
02-14-2003, 06:01 PM
What a really cool thread! Thanks for bumping it up, Randi! I'm kind of a boring person, but am so happy in my boring life. :rolleyes:

I'm 26...I grew up on LonG Island....I have been married for 6 years now...Mark is my very best friend ever! I really enjoy cooking & baking...I subscribe to "Taste of Home" and love to try new recipes. My friends call me a "neatfreak" because I like to clean my house everyday. :p I work for a small company...we sell and service office equipment (copiers, fax machines etc.) And the best for last, I'm a Christian...my faith means more to me than anything in this world.

As for hobbies, I really enjoy scrapbooking (I have 2 albums done now)...crocheting (mostly blankets)...I love surfing the web...and blabbing on pettalk.

And that's me in 5 minute nutshell...pretty boring, huh....:o:D

Karen
02-14-2003, 06:14 PM
Originally posted by Barbara
I'm not exactly a newbie but in my first half year I only checked the threads on the cat board.

I read all the time, even in the bathroom with Filou on my shoulder and brushing my teeth (you will notice there is still one hand for a book).
Among my favourites are (from serious to not-too serious) Thomas Mann, Charles Dickens, Joseph Conrad, Sue Grafton, Sara Paretsky, Elizabeth George, Tad Williams.

I LOVE Tad Williams! Have you read the Otherland Series? My copy is currently on loan to my sister ...

primabella
02-14-2003, 07:24 PM
oops, a little late for this one.

well, there are LOTS of other things but just some of the things i love best are the computer, internet (ahh, what an invention! ;)), photography, music and going out with my friends. ai also love watching anything that makes me laugh or involves animals ;)

places i'd like to visit would be australia (i love the accent) and italy. :)

ParNone
02-14-2003, 09:16 PM
Golf although I'm not very good at it, hence my handle Par None.

Backcountry Backpacking/Hiking. Love being out in nature
and it's quite a feeling being able to survive out in the wilderness
with just the stuff you can carry in on your back.

Total obsession with the TV show Xena. In fact that's how I
ended up on the internet. I was looking for info about the
show and stumbled on the wonderful world of message
boards. I made quite a few friends that I still keep in touch with
and discovered my creative side.

Making Music videos

Writing--the bulk of which is either Xena or Dog related.

Reading--last really good read was The Gaea Trilogy by
John Varley

I'm very sports oriented. I use to play a lot of Softball, Flag
Football, Tennis, Basketball and Volleyball. I've kind of drifted
away from all that over the last few years, but really miss the
competition. So I've a plan of getting back into doing something
competitive by doing dog agility with Oz.

Cooking--my speciality being desserts. I make a killer
turtle cheesecake.

I've been to my dream places of Australia and New Zealand, so
next on my list would be Alaska.

Par...

neko1
02-15-2003, 07:46 AM

Ooo I love Fushigi Yugi, Trigun and Ranma 1/2!! And I also love Tenchi Muyo and InuYasha.

I also like photography and decorating and am a Trading Spaces fanatic!!

My cats are my life and I love animals (I'm a vet tech).