PDA

View Full Version : Picnic type food question

catnapper
06-07-2007, 03:03 PM
Ok folks, we're planning the menu for the party. Its going to be a picnic type layout with barbeque foods

Which barbeque foods listed would you prefer to eat: Sloppy Joe or burger? Hubby wants cheapest first.... so we're looking at hot doggies for sure but can't decide about hamburgers vs. sloppy joes. Which is more universally preferred: sloppy joes or hamburgers? Or do you have another idea that is same price range and yummy?

I have no idea why I care... I'm gonna be eating the hot doggies! :D :p

Whisk_Luva
06-07-2007, 03:06 PM
Uh, sorry, what are sloppy joes? :o

catnapper
06-07-2007, 03:10 PM
Uh, sorry, what are sloppy joes? :o
Ever hear of "Manwich"? Kind of like that. Basically ground beef drowning in barbecue sauce.

Edit to add Manwich info
manwich (http://www.conagrafoods.com/brands/manwich/index.jsp)

caseysmom
06-07-2007, 03:13 PM
My kids and I love sloppy joe's, I vote for those.

Whisk_Luva
06-07-2007, 03:14 PM
Never heard of a 'manwich'....

Yuk! Just seen a pic of it on google! I vote burgers!

Edit: My friend just saw the pic, I am not going to even say what she said it looked like!

catnapper
06-07-2007, 03:18 PM
Yuk! Just seen a pic of it on google! I vote burgers!

Don't go by the photo. It tastes a million times better than it looks, but I won't admit I said that ;)

You like tacos? Bascially its like tacos instead of being spicy in a corn shell, its on a burger bun.

Whisk_Luva
06-07-2007, 03:21 PM
Tacos I like, but I dont know if I can stand the look of a sloppy joe after what my friend just said it looked like :eek:

Sevaede
06-07-2007, 03:27 PM
I'd pick sloppy joes over hamburgers any day! I'm not much of a meat eater, though, so I don't know if my opinion counts. :o

Baked beans, mebbe? :D

ramanth
06-07-2007, 03:31 PM
I've never had sloppy joes at a cookout or picnic. My luck I'd be wearing most of it... :rolleyes: :p :D

Hamburgers just seem more traditional and "neater". ;) So I voted for those.

I do love sloppy joes though.

kittycats_delight
06-07-2007, 03:34 PM
I hate hot dogs but love them on the barbeque. I also love sausage on the grill. Not very expensive and can always be served like a dog.

As for the hamburger vs. sloppy joe deal. I love sloppy joes but don't think of them as a picnic or barbeque food but i would still take them over the burgers unless the burgers are turkey burgers.

k9krazee
06-07-2007, 03:41 PM
I've never had sloppy joes at a cookout or picnic. My luck I'd be wearing most of it... :rolleyes: :p :D

That's exactly what I was thinking :o My vote goes for the hamburgers over sloppy joes in a party type/picnic atmosphere, even though I do like sloppy joes more.

Freedom
06-07-2007, 03:49 PM
I also don't think of sloppy joes as picnic food because they are SO messy! If you are having something with chidlren, do NOT do sloppy joes; or some parents may never speak to you again! :D Either that or be prepared to do the laundry for them, he he.

And children can eat burgers and hot dogs while running around; maybe they shouldn't, but they can and do. :)

Craftlady
06-07-2007, 03:58 PM
Fix what you want is my vote.
I wouldnt consider them a traditional picnic food since they cant be cooked on a grill. IF your not so stuck on following tradtion, stick some joe's in the crock pot and enjoy but be prepared to clean up lots of messes since joe's arent finger food. Most kids dont like sloppy joes.

AdoreMyDogs
06-07-2007, 03:59 PM
Although sloppy joes are yummy and one of my personal favorites, they're just so messy. I don't think I could ever eat one in public hehe. I also make sure I wear a bib when I have a sloppy joe, because I don't want to ruin any nice clothes. Hot dogs and hamburgers are, in my opinion, better for the practicality of it. They're good, most people like them, and they're much cleaner and easier to eat.

Oh and Whisk_luva....sloppy joes may look funny to you, but they are SOOOO good tasting and smelling. I bet you'd like 'em if you tried 'em :) As a matter of fact...I have sloppy joe seasoning and ground beef. Hmmmm might be a sloppy joe dinner tonight!

Blue_Frog
06-07-2007, 04:03 PM
I voted for Hamburgers, since they're neater, and people can put on what they like for toppings -- with Sloppy Joes, you're committed to the tomatoe'y flavour.

But -- if you wanted to go for a bit of a twist, do 1/2 of each -- of, put the sloppy joe stuff on the hot dogs instead of on its own, and make them into chili dogs or something :)

Edwina's Secretary
06-07-2007, 04:30 PM
Chicken...fried or roasted....

BitsyNaceyDog
06-07-2007, 04:36 PM
Hamburgers!
I hate sloppy joes, and it looks like I'm the only person who does.

catnapper
06-07-2007, 04:44 PM
Hamburgers!
Nope, you're not. I despise them myself and it seems hubby's goinna do what he wants: the sloppy joes :rolleyes: He's now sour because the votes are going more towards burgers than joes. :rolleyes:

I brought up the whole messy thing long ago. He says because our youngest daughter and son like joes that EVERYONE will too.... except me, my family ,etc. He also claims its a pool party so if people get messy they can simply take a dip in the pool. Uh-huh... and who will be cleaning out the pool?! :eek:

I will eat my hotdog. I can only stand dogs when burnt to a crisp on a grill and won't touch them any other time. Thank goodness we'll also have fruit salad, veggies, soft pretzel nuggets, and of course CAKE!

lizbud
06-07-2007, 05:01 PM
You could mix up some of the hamburger for sloppy joes & use the rest
for burgers on the grill. Only would have to have a heat source for the
sauce to keep it warm, but available.

I wouldn't think the sloppy joes would be a good picnic food, but if that's
what they want, let them serve themselves.

p.s. I like my hotdogs very well done myself. Yum. :)

Kfamr
06-07-2007, 05:06 PM
It's for Cameron's birthday, right? Meaning there are going to be a lot of little kids? SLOPPY Joe is right.

Burgers seems the safer route to go and there's not many who don't like burgers. On the other hand, I can't stand sloppy joes.

KYS
06-07-2007, 05:32 PM
I prefer Chicken over hamburger, but hamburger over sloppey Joe's.
Sloppy Joe's would be to messy.
How about Chicken and hamburger. Kids usually will be happy with hamburger and the adults whom will be attending
would probably like Chicken or both.

Freedom
06-07-2007, 08:55 PM
Don't forget the WATERMELON!!!!!

(and that will make plenty of mess too, but for some reason it is OK for picnics. :p )

catnapper
06-07-2007, 09:18 PM
Don't forget the WATERMELON!!!!!

(and that will make plenty of mess too, but for some reason it is OK for picnics. :p )
LOL!!! Of course there will be plenty of watermellon! It just isn't a picnic without that, right?

Man, I sure wish we could afford chicken. We just can't right now.... there will be 50+ people there. Chicken is pretty pricey these days. I'm trying to convince huby to go 50/50 with hamburgers and joes. We'll then see who was right ;)

Hellow
06-07-2007, 09:52 PM
I vote for sloppy joes! They rock! They taste and smell soooooo good and they are finger food. I am a kid and i have NEVER EVER made a mess with one!

angelbow20
06-07-2007, 10:23 PM
LOL!!! Of course there will be plenty of watermellon! It just isn't a picnic without that, right?

Man, I sure wish we could afford chicken. We just can't right now.... there will be 50+ people there. Chicken is pretty pricey these days. I'm trying to convince huby to go 50/50 with hamburgers and joes. We'll then see who was right ;)

Around here chicken has been on sale ALOT, We have had it so much already this summer, the chicken legs that is. but I would also def go for burgers or even sausage if its cheap.

mina'smomma
06-08-2007, 07:26 AM

Hamburgers just seem more traditional and "neater". ;) So I voted for those.

I do love sloppy joes though.

I second that Kimmy. Especially now that I've got a nice little bump going here.

Rie Rie
06-08-2007, 08:16 AM
Do you have a Sam's nearby?You may want to go there and check out what they have. We've gotten stuff there for big parties and saved some money doing so. They carry hamburgers already made and they are pretty good and also they have a picnic pack thing that has condiments, all in squeeze bottles, very convienant.
Just a thought.

Logan
06-08-2007, 09:30 AM
Hamburgers!

No you're not! I can't stand them, either! And Kim, I think they are WAY too mess for an outdoor picnic.

pitc9
06-08-2007, 09:44 AM
I love Sloppy Joes!!
I've had them at a picnic, it's easier for the host because you can made them then put them in a crock pot and leave them on Warm and you don't have to worry about burning them on the grille!! :D
As far as them being messy, get paper bowls and people can just eat them out of the bowl with the bun on the bottom of the bowl!!

I like making different things when I have a cook out, theres nothing worse than eating hot dogs and burger EVERY weekend in the summer.

I vote Sloppy Joes!

dogzr#1
06-08-2007, 10:24 AM
I vote Sloppy Joes! I looove them! I find hamburgers to be too boring to eat at a picnic. I would love to have sloppy Joes instead!

They may be a bit messier but tell the kids if they get anything on themselves, they won't go swimming or something like that. My mom used to do that to us and it worked like a charm!

Barbara
06-08-2007, 03:10 PM
Of course I'd never heard of Sloppy Joes before but I also wonder how they stick between the buns and not on your shirt :D

Suki Wingy
06-08-2007, 04:42 PM
Mmmm... Manwitches of sloppy joes are a rare treat, so that's what I voted for.

catnapper
06-08-2007, 04:58 PM
All this talk of Sloppy Joes has prompted hubby to make them for dinner tonight. I had fruit salad ;) :p

We still have't decided which way we'll go but we checked Sams Club this afternoon. He absolutely does not want the premade patties because "they are tasteless" -- I wouldn't know since its been too many years since I last ate a burger. Even at Sams Club, the prices of meat was outrageous. Everything is so expensive anymore!!! :eek: (though I did save a bundle on toilet tissue and printer ink LOL)

Thanks everyone for your input in this scintillating dillema.

Craftlady
06-08-2007, 06:44 PM
Sams Club as good ground chuck patties (pre-formed).
JTM pre-made patties are yummy.
Walmarts pre-made ones are good but greasy.

Premade has come along way in flavor.

Logan
06-08-2007, 07:28 PM
I don't think there is anything wrong with just doing hamburgers and hotdogs, Kim. But I guess you and hubby will have to figure this out. The worst part of grilling for a party is that the person grilling has to work so hard. But I completely understand doing something other than chicken because chicken for 50 people would be very expensive. Perhaps you need to remember that people are coming because they want to socialize and be there for a special occasion, not the food! Smoking some pork shoulders would probably be more economical than beef, to tell you the truth! LOL!

Can't wait to hear what you decide to do.

Logan

Marigold2
06-08-2007, 11:05 PM
Whenever I have had parties people always love the sloppy joes. Since you can put them in a crock pot they are a lot less work. I am sure hubby will have more fun spending time with friends then standing over a hot grill making 50 burgers for people. As for the mess, I always eat my sloppy joe with a knife and fork so there isn't a mess. A burger can be messy what with katchup and mayo sliding out of the bun. Most people eat burgers with their fingers but here we eat sloppy joes with forks and knives. Either way you will have fun. If you want an intesting salad look up cabbage crunch on the internet. Very easy to make and everyone loved it.