PDA

View Full Version : D-day 63rd anniversary

cassiesmom
06-06-2007, 11:59 AM
June 6th is the 63rd anniversary of the D-day landings. I did my graduate nursing practicum at the V.A. hospital and met many veterans of World War II as well as people who had served at other times and in other places. I was there 2 semesters and a summer quarter and I got way more out of it than I ever put in. My mom was at one of the cemeteries in France in 2000 and she said it is just mind-boggling. She took pictures of the grave markers and even the photos are overwhelming. That is a place I hope to visit some day. Here's a fact sheet. So, today I'm praying for peace in the world and maybe nothing like this will ever be necessary again.

http://www.nationalww2museum.org/education/briefddayhistory.pdf

Freedom
06-06-2007, 01:19 PM
My Dad served in th eNavy during WW II. He doesn't talk about it.

My Mum grew up in London during the war. They were at war from when she was 6 to when she was 15, if I remember right. She had nightmares of buzz bomb attacks all her life.

Mum and her friends were in London on D-Day and went to Pall Mall together. They said the crowds were huge, the roars deafening and everyone in a great mood. The bombings stopped, even though rationing of food stuffs went on for quite a while after that.

So, today I'm praying for peace in the world and maybe nothing like this will ever be necessary again. Amen.